Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Television cameras caught Browns players laughing on the sideline after rookie quarterback Cody Kessler ran out of the back of the end zone for a safety.

“No, they weren’t laughing about that,” Jackson said. “I would guarantee you that.”

LOL...........I don't know about that one, Hue. brownie

E
Legend
Legend
E
Browns three safeties getting on c'mon man.

C'MON MAN!

No Craps Given
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
At least he acknowledges the issues.

I like Hue. I hope that unrealistic expectations doesn't doom him in two years like all the other past coaches.

I agree. He seems, and of course it's early and we've been through this before so many times, to understand where we are at and there is a lot to do. Hue is the first hire if a coach I've liked since Davis, whom I think would have been a fine coach if he didn't also want the GM position as well.

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I think with Hue even though this will be a double digit
Losing season you will see progress being made unlike the last Browns coaches were no progress was being made

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:
Television cameras caught Browns players laughing on the sideline after rookie quarterback Cody Kessler ran out of the back of the end zone for a safety.

“No, they weren’t laughing about that,” Jackson said. “I would guarantee you that.”

LOL...........I don't know about that one, Hue. brownie

Lol yeah I'd bet they were

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Personally, I like the type of draft prospect we targeted and think several of them show "real" promise. I can't remember the last time I felt that way for any of them that weren't QB's that were hyped.

Hue seems to be very level headed and knows what he's after, I saw him coaching during the game last night which was refreshing. Our last few coaches just glared or looked defeated during losing games. Waiting to sort things in practice or when watching tape.

I think a couple of the 2nd year guys are starting to develop too. So I'm just going to relax, expect lots of losses this season but look forward to the steps forward.

On a high note, HOW LUCKY ARE WE WITH PRYOR? That just fell in our lap and I think he's going to be very solid at a minimum.

Jury is going to be out all season on RG3 but we could very well get lucky there too! So it's really not all doom and gloom in my opinion.
I'd much rather have low expectations and maybe get surprised with the good than have high expectation and get deflated once again. I think it might end up being a fun year to watch.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
That is one benefit of analytics. Theoretically you're taking lottery tickets on players who "fit" the mold from a numerical standpoint. You'd think that you're bound to hit on a few of them each year ... then again, you'd think we would have by now anyways

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Well as far as I'm concerned right now, they can keep drafting like that.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Well as far as I'm concerned right now, they can keep drafting like that.

I do like what I've seen/heard about Coleman, Ogbah, Nassib, Schobert, Higgins

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
First preseason game of the first season of a new regime. Brand new schemes, tons of rookies, and a lot of work ahead. I don't think we will win more that a game or two all season yet I haven't felt this positive about the Browns in a long long time. Still on the fence about the front office. Time will tell about them. But I am very happy with what I've seen of Hue Jackson and his new staff. I like Coach Jackson. I think he is a good coach. Unfortunately, he signed on with a team bereft of talent. Even if the Harvard boys hit on a good number of these picks, we have a lot of holes to fill. So I'll be content if our new coaching staff coaches up these youngsters and the team shows improvement gradual thought it may be, from game one to game sixteen.... As long as we look like we are improving even slightly over the year I'll be happy with that. This isn't going to be a quick turnaround. Coaching up the kids and improving week to week is probably all we can hope for. I'm cool with that. Peace

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
At least he acknowledges the issues.

I like Hue. I hope that unrealistic expectations doesn't doom him in two years like all the other past coaches.

Wow, you and I like the same head coach? THAT doesn't happen..... ever. lol I too like Hue Jackson and his staff. I'm more positive about the Browns than I have been in a very long time. I think we will be lucky to win more than a game or two but I do believe Jackson and staff are the right guys for the job. It's just going to take a while to get some real talent in here. So for once you and I are in agreement about a coach. Amazing! smile

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
That is one benefit of analytics. Theoretically you're taking lottery tickets on players who "fit" the mold from a numerical standpoint. You'd think that you're bound to hit on a few of them each year ... then again, you'd think we would have by now anyways

We don't know those rookies are good yet. I wasn't impressed last night, but that doesn't mean I think they stink. Likewise, it is too early to say they are good.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, this guy seemed to be a homer for RGIII...he blamed interception on Barn, claimed zone coverage...LB had Barn so RGIII had to throw inside IF he took shot...ball/points are precious, would have thrown somewhere else.....although Cody's TD pass was also well covered and TD result....could have been pick....Oh, well....first game...NON counter....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You can thank Haslam for the crappy announcers we are stuck with for Pre Season .. ( or maybe Dee )

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I rewatched the game.Shelton is a bust.
He was getting man handled one on one all night.
His pad level is still too high and he lacks that primal
Anger
He's soft. Plain and simple.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

A SB Nation writer's opinions of Griffin:

Thanks for posting this!

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Anger

so, it's more of the same from last year. He really was a non-factor last season. Played too high and soft .. a bad combo for a DL.

I remember some calling him "our" version of Ngata ... LOL

R
Legend
Legend
R
RE: Kessler...

I guess I have a different opinion than others. I liked what I saw. It was a small sample but the TD pass was beautiful. That was a real NFL throw. I focused on his demeanor looking for signs of nervousness or anxiety. I love to study people and read body language. He seemed to me to be calm, cool, and collected. He made the mental mistakes, but I could care less. It's a meaningless preseason game and his first real game action. For Kessler it's about projection and how he might grow, mistakes and all, between now and the end of the season and next year. I'm anxious to see the rest of the preseason games.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Your so right he is Ngata

Not
Going to
Amount
To
Anything

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anger

so, it's more of the same from last year. He really was a non-factor last season. Played too high and soft .. a bad combo for a DL.

Shelton has the physical ability but he was incredibly raw where as Ngata had some of the best hand work ever at nose especially for one his size. Dont give up Danny just yet. Technique will improve.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Anger

Shelton has the physical ability but he was incredibly raw where as Ngata had some of the best hand work ever at nose especially for one his size. Dont give up Danny just yet. Technique will improve.

I hope you're right Mourg ... I'll give you mad props if you are!

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Your so right he is Ngata

Not
Going to
Amount
To
Anything

brownie

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
So much for the Browns brilliant front office hiring the Karate Kid in the off season to help the lineman in regards to their hands and arms.
You either play violent or you don't especially for a dlineman in the trenches
You can't teach it.
Shelton looks like the part but that's where it ends

V
Legend
Legend
V
Too early to call him a bust.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Plus, Ngata didn't come out of the gate an all pro stud.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Puts the behind in hindsight. Carried on about Barn's mistake and what he should have done. Lousy announcer IMO. Bernie is better than this guy's banter. Not excited for the next game either. We were underwhelmed.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have a hunch Hamlett will make the roster. We may keep 4 TEs if they don't wanna put Devalve on IR/PS

Is he a part time Shakespearean actor too?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
I have a hunch Hamlett will make the roster. We may keep 4 TEs if they don't wanna put Devalve on IR/PS

I don't know, but I hope he decides to be, not not to be

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I hope he's not a midsummer night's dream.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

I hope he's not a midsummer night's dream.

and that he isn't just much ado about nothing

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
My post game thought ... Hue is going to have a very long season in front of the camera.

That was actually my pre-game thought as well.

ROFL

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
You can thank Haslam for the crappy announcers we are stuck with for Pre Season .. ( or maybe Dee )

I love Dee, but disagree with her on this decision...

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Even if he flashes or plays adequate in my eyes he's still
A bust.
He's a top 15 draft pick. He was drafted to be a force a lynch pin of the front 7. A tone setter. To be disruptive.
I think all these years of bad drafting and failures under every regime has really affected what fans should expect out of their draft picks.
Every team at some drafts a guy and right away he shows why you drafted him where you did.
But with the Browns people on this board are always taking that "eh Cmon we gotta give this player 74 years before we can draw a conclusion on him"
There isn't anything wrong with drafting a young man and boy right out the gate he's a house on fire.a playmaker.
A difference maker.
who was the last player the Browns drafted that was a difference maker right out the gate...even after year 2..?
Joe Thomas.? Joe Haden?
I haven't seen any Khalil Macks....Marcus Peters...Todd Gurleys....AJ Greens on this team in light years

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Even if he flashes or plays adequate in my eyes he's still
A bust.

That's kinda weird.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Your really smart Versatile..you know the game.
I believe with 1st Rd picks you have to play at a elite level in order to validate your draft selection.
Remember Attubya Rubin out of Iowa St. Mid rd pick.
On a per snap basis...he destroyed Phil Taylor as far as production goes.
Phil was a 1st rd failure even though he flashed.
I believe 1st rd picks are supposed to impact players and 2nd rd picks to a degree.
Jamie Meder has shown me more than Shelton.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ddubia

Plus, Ngata didn't come out of the gate an all pro stud.

Fine, a couple years from now when the light finally comes on he can play, until then sit his fat ass on the bench and put someone in there that wants to hit someone. He still needs to lose some weight and get stronger. There is no excuse for being out of shape. It's his only job. I'm sure we have guys that want it. So let one of them start and maybe someday Sheldon will learn how to be a pro.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/quite a bit of that. I'm just saying it is a bit too early to say Shelton is a bust. He was disappointing last year, but not a true bust. And he is young. Gotta let it play out, man.

And I am not your typical homer who just defends guys w/out reason.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
So how many games do you give Shelton before you give a long term analysis ?
I'd say by game 10 he better have shown the ability to eat up blockers. Walk a center back into the QB so he can't step up....basically anchor Hortons over rated scheme.
I just don't see that aggression a NFL NT has to going from play 1 to play 96.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't put a set number on it. I simply evaluate as it happens. It's dangerous to reach conclusions this early.

At this point, I think he has been disappointing. I'll judge each game and comment truthfully about how I feel he plays. And I don't care if my evaluations upset the homers or the haters. Hell.....it's just my not-very-important opinion. It sure doesn't mean squat.

We're just talking football, bro. It's cool. No need to agree.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 11 Packers 17 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard