Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
The thing your missing is that Gilbert is a unbelievable athlete

I don't know. His hips aren't all that good. He is kinda stiff when he has to turn and run. He doesn't come out of breaks well.

I think his athleticism fits better at FS, but the problem is that he doesn't like to tackle. He is a horrible tackler and that would be a huge no-no at that position.

Indeed.. Worst tackler on a team rife with them. He's AFRAID. That doesn't just go away. He might run fast but as long as he's afraid to tackle anyone he's a bum that needs to go. Or they can start him, get torched every week and next year we'll have a new HC etc.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Not signing Sheard was a huge mistake ... I thought it was extremely dumb

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Ray Farmer made a lot of mistakes. It was almost as if he was a mole, planted to do as much damage as possible in as shot a time as possible.

Gilbert
Manziel
Shelton
Erving

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Ray Farmer made a lot of mistakes. It was almost as if he was a mole, planted to do as much damage as possible in as shot a time as possible.

Gilbert
Manziel
Shelton
Erving

Just think about what we COULD have had instead

Odell Beckham, Derek Carr, Marcus Peters, etc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Not signing Sheard was a huge mistake ... I thought it was extremely dumb

Agreed

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
Troy Aikman brought up Sanders during the Cowboys game apparently and I saw an article on it earlier. (Apparently it was an old article, not sure why I ran into it today)

Link

It's so hard to figure out how to interpret games that don't count and aren't game planned for like normal. I'd like to see more out of Gilbert, but none of the other CBs showed me much either. Patterson and Taylor are the only ones that I recall anything positive from. How many do you think we'll keep?
You think Gilbert is at a point in his career where he can afford to make business decisions why it comes to tackling?

Also saying Deion wasn't a good tackler is an obvious exaggeration. I've seen Deion light dudes up (including RBs). He was a very selective tackler to be sure but when he needed to bring someone down he could.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No, I don't think Gilbert is good enough to get away with not tackling, but some corners have that mentality. Was it possible that Gilbert was saving himself for the season? Do you really "need" to bring someone down in a preseason game?

Gilbert had 155 tackles in college, so it's not like he is incapable. I was rewatching his college highlights and he had some good sticks.

We are really thin at CB and not many of the guys we have profile as outside guys. Haden is already coming back from injury. I've only heard good things on Gilbert coming from teammates and Horton.

“Justin Gilbert has done everything we’ve asked,” defensive coordinator Ray Horton said recently. “We came in — I came in — and we talked about having a clean slate. I remember Justin in college [at Oklahoma State University], coming out, what kind of player he was. I said, ‘I want you to be that type of player.’ He’s done everything we’ve asked, and I’m very happy with him.”

Link

Maybe he was asked to protect himself a bit. Our secondary doesn't look the greatest with him, but it would probably look even worse without him. It's sad that that's the case, but I think it is true.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
The big problem is our linebackers suck ass. People blame Gilbert for missing the tackle when he tried to trip the RB but what the hell was davis doing on that play. Davis doesnt find his way through any clutter, he trips on anything around him. OO and Kruger is about as effective as a traffic cone when it comes to sealing the edge...
The linebackers that have impressed me has been Nassib and no one else
Interesting take...I see the LB almost completely opposite of you. I've been impressed with how physical Davis and Kirksey are playing.

I never thought I would see Kirksey shoot a gap, stack a blocker and shed to make a tackle.

That imo bodes very well for his ability to play ILB in this scheme because it was a skillset I thought he lacked. I knew he had speed to run/chase and cover but questioned whether he could be physical in the run game.

IF/When they play Ogbah at OLB you'll see a stout edge defender. Playing him at DE has imo sped up his development as an edge run defender.

Nassib is a edge defender not an LBs.

Quote:
And as scary as our defense is in a bad way, our offense is even more scary in a good way. Potential is there to do some great things this year.
If Hugh is able to run the ball the way he wants the offense is going to complement the defense and make it better.

Hugh's run game (if it works) will improve time of possession which has a direct correlation to defense.
Also, a solid run game lowers the turnover rate, which is also good for a defense.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
No, I don't think Gilbert is good enough to get away with not tackling, but some corners have that mentality. Was it possible that Gilbert was saving himself for the season? Do you really "need" to bring someone down in a preseason game?
HELL YEAH.
Gilbert plays on defense. The hallmark of being a good defender is attitude, competitiveness, toughness, aggression. And if you have these traits it shows up all the time and especially in preseason when reputations are earned and jobs are won and lost.

And especially when your spot is in jeopardy, yeah ABSOLUTELY Gilbert needs to bring someone down in preseason. Gilbert should be flying around laying the wood, playing like his hair is on fire. I bet you Jammar Taylor is more dialed in then Gilbert because you can see the difference in their play on the field. If its me I have Jammar Taylor way ahead of Gilbert already.

Quote:
Maybe he was asked to protect himself a bit. Our secondary doesn't look the greatest with him, but it would probably look even worse without him. It's sad that that's the case, but I think it is true.
Seems like you are really reaching here. I mean of course you can think whatever you like. Seems like mental gymnastics to me going to this length to rationalize Gilbert's play.

And if you really believe your defensive staff is asking defenders to protect themselves then you got much, much, much bigger problems coming.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E

Text book from Kirksey

D
Legend
Legend
D
Also, textbook non-effort by #21, Gilbert, at the bottom of the screen.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Gilber looks like he has some good dance moves in those pics. grin

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
haha wow

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Obviously I'd like them to be full go aggressive all the time, but I'm not sure if that happens a lot at corner anymore. I was disappointed in Gilbert's "tackle attempt" as much as anyone and started looking at next year's crop of defensive backs on draftbreakdown. They pretty much all seem to be pretty hesitant to tackle or at least content to take it easy if it looks like someone else can tackle the guy with the ball. I don't know if it's like the Baylor offense where sometimes the WRs are told to conserve energy, but I saw a lot of guys standing around if the run went to the other side. I wasn't impressed with White (LSU), Tabor (Florida), or Tankersley (Clemson) on the effort front. Desmond King (Iowa) looks the best of guys I've looked at so far. It was a fairly limited sampling.

Did any of our corners look good tackling? Tramon Williams didn't record any. Gilbert led (tied with a few others) the corners with 2 tackles according to NFL.com's stats. Link Gilbert's was the most memorable miss, but only because it resulted in a TD. I saw a lot of lackadaisical tackle attempts. Moore's attempt on Wild's TD was pretty weak. Kindred looked like the only db that really came to hit somebody.

Last edited by GrimmBrown; 08/21/16 01:19 PM. Reason: smapling->sampling

Fiercely Independent.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Lol, posted those pics as example of Kirksey playing downhill and stacking and shedding to make a tackle in the run game.

Just a coincidence that Gilbert is playing patty cake.

But, who knew Kirksey would be mixing it up like that?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I've gone back and watched the Freeman TD multiple times. It's not a particularly good look for Gilbert, but I don't think will/effort was the issue. He sees the play coming his way and steps up without hesitation. He just dropped his head and tried to keep him from getting outside. Help from inside didn't show up as Kirksey got held up on 42. Gilbert did do a poor job of wrapping, but Freeman did a good job of getting skinny, yet still running with power. Unlike Crowell, Freeman seems to be able to keep his balance. Not a good play for Gilbert, but I think it is correctable. I think Gilbert's short comings are blown out of proportion due to his past inability to live up to his draft position. He's not great, but I don't think he is as bad as he is made out to be by some. He seems to have improved in his recognition and is doing a better job passing guys off and recognizing misdirection. He still has a lot of work to do, but Freeman can make a lot of people look bad.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

If you look at the DL we've let go over the past few years, we would have a better starting DL than we have now with those players. Does this ever end?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

If you look at the DL we've let go over the past few years, we would have a better starting DL than we have now with those players. Does this ever end?

Sheard and Rubin would definitely be an upgrade right now IMO

S
Legend
Legend
S
I'm really trying not to get too excited about what Terrelle Pryor has looked like.

I have never seen a WR group that has such high potential, yet is almost purely based on that potential. Between Gordon, Pryor, and Coleman, you have almost no evidence that this is going to work, outside of one season out of Gordon.

Pryor has shown flashes in camp and meaningless preseason games, and Coleman is a rookie who has missed both othose preseason games.

I just don't want to bank on any of that coming true. There is a lot of potential with this offense though. Big play Gar, Duke Johnson who showed flashes, and the comeback project for RG3. This offense has a ridiculously high ceiling, but also a floor that is pretty low. This thing could go ugly quick.

I can't wait to get this third preseason game out of the way, and then we can all start really talking about Philadelphia.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I'll hold my breath on Pryor too ... he's only shown the ability to go vertical/fade routes ... but that can help our O if other receivers can get open

Legend
Legend
Rahim Moore was flat out embarrassing as far as tackling went.

Some guys were excited by our signing him .... but I didn't think that he was any big deal. He's not behind Jordan Poyer. Man, if that doesn't say it all, I don't know what does. Poyer is an OK backup, but man, he's a guy who should be able to be beat by an experienced, young vet. However, Moore has been behind Poyer from the word go, and hasn't even begun to close on him.

I would almost not be surprised if we cut Moore.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
There's a reason why Moore can't last with a team ... he stinks

I'd cut him too

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Hey guys. Two words to this years team: no talent!

And here's when I lost all hope for Pettine. From his post 2014 draft PC:

On Gilbert’s tackling ability:

Pettine: “In our system, we are not [using] a lot of a hard corner very often, where the corner is primary in run support so when a ball is going around the perimeter, the corner is the first line of defense. That’s very rare in our system. Our premium, when we look at and list the attributes of and say, ‘Here’s what we we’re looking for in a corner,’ the press-man coverage ability, the ability to eliminate a wide receiver and allow us to play 10 against 10 and do that with two guys and play nine against nine, that is a much higher premium than to be more of an outside-linebacker type. Since it’s further down the list, he was clearly our top corner because he fits our scheme. He might not have been the top corner for some other teams schematically that are more Cover 2.”

------------------------------------------

I've never before been this detached from the Browns. It's all gone for me. First the stooges clowns, then the incredibly bad Farmer drafts and this draft by the stat and algorithm worshippers wasn't any better. And to put the final nail in the coffin: a complete moron of an owner who makes Al Davis look like Vince Lombardi.

I feel bad for Hue, Joe Thomas and some of the others. They don't deserve to be part of this mess.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
stick around DJ! ... good to hear from you (and I agree about the no talent ... especially on D)

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am liking Hue more and more. I like how he handles himself. I hope to God he won't be sacrificed by the poor talent he has on the roster.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I do find Hue's approach very interesting in how he apparently has less concern for getting everything running right for opening day but instead is still extremely on finding the best players, the best combinations expecially for defense. I love the fact he had shelton in there with Ogbah and Nassib with Scooby and Alexander. I like he was giving Kindred first team reps.

I really have a lot of respect for how he is giving players opporutnity to earn it. Hell we have France the undrafted at #2 LT.

Also just wanted to add that did u guys see Greco on his pancake block at the start of the game. he and Paz showed tremendous chemistry and Greco was really playing like a man on a mission. By far our best offensive linemen last week. last week to this week, was fantastic improvement from the OL especially right side. hal Hunter is one of the best.

He seems

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Greco was a beast last game ... I saw a few plays where he dominated

L
Legend
Legend
L
I thought Terrell Watson ran well when he got a chance. I think we will see him quite a bit this season. Tough dude to bring down.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Legend
Legend
D
He looks on par to replace Glenn Winston. Great story too.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yes I think the Winston era is nearing an end. Mostert and Watson will stick, IMO.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I can't remember Winston ever contributing. If he did I missed it.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I recall a fumble.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
I recall a fumble.

OK, contribute to us ...

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The ghost of Glenn Winston ... a tradition unlike any other

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Yes I think the Winston era is nearing an end.

I thought that happened when he crashed his motorcycle? Oh, Winston.. not Winslow.. my fault.

yebat' Putin
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Yes I think the Winston era is nearing an end.

Well, it's about time considering WW2 ended 70yrs ago... Oh, you weren't referring to Churchill? my bad

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Yes I think the Winston era is nearing an end. IMO.

I never smoked Winston's, but my Marlboro era ended 28 years ago by the grace of God

D
Legend
Legend
D
The amount of money you've saved over those 28 years, wow, I bet it is an astronomical amount.

My friend just quit, ten year hardcore smoker, cold turkey and hasn't had a cig in lil over six months.

More power to anyone who lays that habit to rest.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: edromeo
Troy Aikman brought up Sanders during the Cowboys game apparently and I saw an article on it earlier. (Apparently it was an old article, not sure why I ran into it today)

Link

It's so hard to figure out how to interpret games that don't count and aren't game planned for like normal. I'd like to see more out of Gilbert, but none of the other CBs showed me much either. Patterson and Taylor are the only ones that I recall anything positive from. How many do you think we'll keep?
You think Gilbert is at a point in his career where he can afford to make business decisions why it comes to tackling?

Also saying Deion wasn't a good tackler is an obvious exaggeration. I've seen Deion light dudes up (including RBs). He was a very selective tackler to be sure but when he needed to bring someone down he could.

When a guy can SHUT DOWN anyone and everyone you put him on like Deon, then I don't care if he can tackle. Dilbert isn't even CLOSE to Sanders. It's like Pluto and Uranus when they're on opposite sides of the solar system....

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Falcons 24 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard