Print Thread
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I am a Cleveland Browns fan.

Last year I was billed for the NFL Sunday Ticket at a price of $199.00. As much as I thought that was pretty high of a price to pay to see my team lose on a pretty regular basis, I paid the cost. Living just SE of Nashville, it's really the only viable option the see all of the Browns games.

AT&T bought DirecTV and the NFL re-negotiated its contract with DirecTV as well during the off season. As a result of the combination, when billed for the NFL Sunday Ticket this year, the price had risen to $269.94.

At this juncture I decided that if I couldn't negotiate the price down, I was simply going to cancel it and try to stream the games when I could. So before calling, I put together a strategy. How could I get someone to understand my situation? So here's what transpired.

First I called customer service. This is the first time that I received an answer from someone who was obviously foreign when calling DirecTV. She made on offer to slightly reduce my bill and throw in Sunday Ticket Max for free. I explained to her that I had no need for Sunday Ticket Max and if they could throw that in for free, why not just cut my bill further and not give me the Sunday Ticket Max?

Well a language barrier quickly ensued so I asked her if I could speak to her superior. She said she would connect me with someone associated with the NFL Sunday Ticket itself. Once the call was transferred, and I'm, paraphrasing here, it went something like this.

Me: I'm calling about my Sunday Ticket subscription. You see, I'm a Cleveland Browns fan. And while I truly enjoy my NFL Sunday Ticket. But as a Browns fan, you are wanting me to pay $269.94 to see my team lose 12 games this year.

Her: Laughing. I'm sorry to laugh.

Me: That's okay, if I didn't laugh about it sometimes I'd probably cry about it. However, I think you can understand my dilemma here.

We spoke for a couple of more minutes, but the bottom line of explaining I was a Browns fan boiled down to this bottom line.

The NFL Sunday Ticket that was going to cost me $269.94 was reduced to $189.94.

I'm not saying that's the best deal that can be had. But I had read some posts saying the since AT&T bought DirecTV that they were having a lot of trouble negotiating a discount on NFL Sunday Ticket. So I thought this may help some of those who may be having such an issue.

Last edited by PitDAWG; 08/29/16 04:23 PM.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Pity points. I can dig it.

To quote Seinfeld, "Pity is very underrated."

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Watching the browns is like watching Titanic and rooting for the ship

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
I actually did that years ago when I cancelled my NFL ticket. I called up and told them I wanted to cancel. They gave me a rate similar to what you were saying, with a reduced price and all the bonus channels for free. I told them, thanks but no thanks.

So they asked for a reason why I wanted to cancel, and I said, "I'm a Browns fan. If you want to pay me $20 a month to watch my team lose every week, then I might consider taking the plan". To which they laughed, and offered me something crazy good, like the entire NFL ticket, with Max plan for 50% off, and I still told them no.

I actually enjoy my Sundays somewhat since that fateful decision.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

Normally, I'd call you an extreme pessimist, always ripping on our own teams ... but here, you're pretty accurate. wink

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
You know Ex, I really can't argue your point. You may be right. But to me, it's kind of like a blooper reel. As much as some people may be hurt, I just have to watch it anyway.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

I think I've heard that before, but I'll remember it this time around (and use it).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Thanks. Interesting insight for me.

"Well a language barrier quickly ensued..."

They sure have their routine down.

"Aye-Low... Dees ez Rajee"

Legend
Legend
Finally fed up with the Browns losing ways and paying DirecTv for the privilege, I cancelled my 17 year subscription with them last January, after the last Browns game, after-all I'm a diehard and I had to see it.

So I tried the NFL stream thing preview for a week and got the first two preseason games. I saw nothing that made me change my mind that I should be paying to see them this season, so I cancelled the NFL stream thing. I saw the third game on national TV and nothing there said I should be paying either.

I no longer have cable and all it trappings, no 24 hour news cycle, no endless sports channels and to be honest, I can't remember being happier. I watch Netflix or Amazon Prime TV and I have 30 local stations that are free. My tv viewing has dropped to an hour on most days, per day, to 2 hours on the weekends.

I'm having much more fun with my photography than I have in the last 17 years devoting my Sunday's to the Browns. As Yoda would say, "follow them I will, but pay not, for heart-breakers are they, yes".

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
"Wise Tulsa are you."

"Wish you package lower cost?" "Help you I can."

V
Legend
Legend
V
I didn't do it intentionally, but I had a similar result a couple of years ago.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I was moving and needed to move my DirecTV service to my new house. In order to do that they wanted me to sign a new two year contract. Instead I signed up with Time Warner with no contract. Hours after I cancelled with DirecTV they called me back and basically asked what it would take for me to go back. I said a lower price, more channels, and free NFL Sunday Ticket Max. They gave me all three. They will do anything to keep their subscriber base up.

S
Legend
Legend
S
My wife called and asked for a discount. They told her they couldn't really do anything about the price, but they took off 40$ from our bill for each of the next 6 months.

It really does suck to have to pay to watch our team not be very good. I mean I do enjoy watching the other games, but if the Browns were on locally in my market, I wouldn't be paying for Sunday Ticket.

It is nice that they at least try to work with you on stuff like that.

Legend
Legend
DirecTV can do a lot with price .... you just have to be willing to be persistent about it.

I just had DirecTV put in my mom's house. I got 2 $100 Visa gift cards, and I got her the Ultimate package. (same as I have) I got 3 TVs hooked up for her. I am paying $79 total .... including all taxes and fees. I also got Sunday Ticket, and I can use that online at my house, since it is my account. laugh

I figured that $200 over 24 months is about $8/month, if it is carried out ... so the end price really is about $71.

I also have 2 sets hooked up at my house. My DirecTV at home costs me $84, including all taxes and fees. However, I am almost at the end of my 2 year deal, so I will work them over to keep me. We'll see what I get, wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Finally fed up with the Browns losing ways and paying DirecTv for the privilege, I cancelled my 17 year subscription with them last January, after the last Browns game, after-all I'm a diehard and I had to see it.

So I tried the NFL stream thing preview for a week and got the first two preseason games. I saw nothing that made me change my mind that I should be paying to see them this season, so I cancelled the NFL stream thing. I saw the third game on national TV and nothing there said I should be paying either.

I no longer have cable and all it trappings, no 24 hour news cycle, no endless sports channels and to be honest, I can't remember being happier. I watch Netflix or Amazon Prime TV and I have 30 local stations that are free. My tv viewing has dropped to an hour on most days, per day, to 2 hours on the weekends.

I'm having much more fun with my photography than I have in the last 17 years devoting my Sunday's to the Browns. As Yoda would say, "follow them I will, but pay not, for heart-breakers are they, yes".

After 12 years I cancelled my DirecTV. I would pay $500 for Sunday Ticket to watch the Browns if they were any good, but my heart isn't in it anymore.

But my experience with cancelling my DirecTV was quite a journey. It started with a couple of phone calls to try and get my bill lowered and get them to add Sunday Ticket for free. I made very little progress but I wasn't ready to cancel. I hung up both times with nothing gained.

On my third call the guy asked me what I wanted. I said I wanted my bill lowered to $80/month (from $136) and Sunday Ticket for free. He acted incredulous and told me I was asking for nearly a 60% discount. I said you asked me what I wanted and I told you. They were also not making me any counter offers. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I said cancel my service effective immediately. I had 4 months left on my contract which cost me $80 to cancel.

My wife wasn't too happy with me as she likes TV. My girls lost their mickey mouse club. But we adapted quickly. A lot of Netflix and much better family time. We were actually enjoying it much more than we thought.

The boxes to pack up our equipment arrived and I put it on my to do list for the next day. Went and got the mail and there was a letter from DirecTV asking me to come back with some great offers. So I called to hear them out. Without so much as a fight this is what they gave me:

Same programming I had before
Refunded my $80 cancellation fee
$200 visa gift card
Sunday Ticket max for free
Reuse same equipment which was activated immediately
12 month contract
$71/month

So I took it. It was too good to pass up. The ironic thing is we don't watch it anymore. We had gotten hooked on Netflix shows and watch those. I'll be cancelling probably permanently after the year is up. I will start getting the NFL Game pass and watching the games the day after.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I couldnt bring myself to pay it this year, not even reduced cost. Im usually fed up and done by week 3 or so.

Legend
Legend
My dad recently got them to take $35 per month off his bill after calling and checking all of his packages.

I'd like to advise him to call back and say something like "I have three friends who all have received WAY more of a discount and/or free Sunday Ticket ... etc)

He says he doesn't want to screw anything up.

Advice?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Tell him to cancel it altogether and save all the money.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think it sounds a bit fishy if he calls them back too soon. Perhaps wait a year and then act like he is going to cancel everything.

Again, I didn't do it intentionally, but I saved a ton after I threatened to cancel the second time.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Your best bargaining power comes once your contract expires. As was mentioned, calling this soon after making a deal with them probably wouldn't be a good idea. My contract expires in November actually. Once the season is over, I'm sure I'll be able to make a HUGE deal in order to agree to a new contract.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Your best bargaining power comes once your contract expires. As was mentioned, calling this soon after making a deal with them probably wouldn't be a good idea. My contract expires in November actually. Once the season is over, I'm sure I'll be able to make a HUGE deal in order to agree to a new contract.

And this boils down to one of the major problems in this country, as far as jobs go.

We all "want", we just don't want to pay the price for what we want.

Not knocking you, or anyone else. I have Dish. My price keeps going up, with no changes on my part.

I have a choice. Keep it, or get rid of it. Or, ask for a cheaper price.

Can you see where I'm going? Not knocking anyone, I'm in the same boat.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

And this boils down to one of the major problems in this country, as far as jobs go.

We all "want", we just don't want to pay the price for what we want.

Not knocking you, or anyone else. I have Dish. My price keeps going up, with no changes on my part.

I have a choice. Keep it, or get rid of it. Or, ask for a cheaper price.

Can you see where I'm going? Not knocking anyone, I'm in the same boat.

They don't have to give you a cheaper price.

V
Legend
Legend
V
That's right. Heck, I wasn't even trying to get Direct TV to lower the price. I really was going to cancel. They persuaded me to not cancel by giving me a much better deal.

I'm sure they aren't losing any money on allowing me to use their service. LOL

A
Legend
Legend
A
Agreed. Not sure I said otherwise?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Agreed. Not sure I said otherwise?

You seemed to be saying that asking for a cheaper price is bad.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I'm just being a good Capitalist arch.

Bargaining for the best price in a negotiation.

The corporation I'm bargaining with agreed to terms that were more favorable to me. IMO- It's not different than buying a car. The dealer isn't going to sell it to me for a loss. Neither is DirecTV going to keep me as a customer at a loss.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
I get it. No harm.

B
Legend
Legend
B
One day I will get the NFL package....at this point I still go to 5-6 games up in Cleveland. No matter how cheap they sold it to me, it wouldn't be worth it.....plus....I like going to the bar and watching with a group.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I understand you have a huge investment in the team as it is. I can't say I blame you at all.

The only way I think it might benefit you in your situation is breaking down the game. And even then, with the TV angles, often times it's not near as much help as it could be.

My budget is just much more limited than yours and with my entertainment budget being what it is, this is the best value I have in seeing all of the Browns games.

Take care Bud and enjoy the season my friend.

Oh BTW- I used to watch the games at the bars myself. However, it seems there became simply too much distraction to actually focus on the games. And well, when you stop drinking the bars aren't nearly as entertaining as they used to be. lol

Last edited by PitDAWG; 08/31/16 01:18 PM. Reason: adding

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I used to go to bars too....but buying it and watching it at home, even at $250 breaks down to only $15 a game. That is far less than what I was spending at the bar. Maybe if they were winning it would be fun to watch it in a group environment but certainly not right now.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ~Con~Artist~
I used to go to bars too....but buying it and watching it at home, even at $250 breaks down to only $15 a game. That is far less than what I was spending at the bar. Maybe if they were winning it would be fun to watch it in a group environment but certainly not right now.

in a group you have someone to talk you off the ledge every week

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg
Originally Posted By: ~Con~Artist~

in a group you have someone to talk you off the ledge every week

But if you've been drinking you're less likely to listen to them.

Who drinks in the early afternoon anyway?

#GMSTRONG
J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
This was the best scam ( goes back about 10 years ago when the Ticket was like 269.00 a season was seperate from regular Direct TV packages. Knew a guy who had an RV traveled for for work added receiver to my bill 10 extra bucks a month and charged him 350.00 for the year ( we did this for about 4 seasons ) was great . I got My NFL for free and he got TV 30.00 a month good deal for all

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I canceled sunday ticket this year. Best they offered me was 20% off. I wasn't calling to get a deal, I called to cancel. I hate when I call DTV, they thank me for being such a loyal customer. All my loyalty has gotten me is higher prices. Yet every year they hand out sunday ticket free to new subscribers.

First week of the season is free trial anyway. Then the thursday night games on CBS/nfl network. 2-3 games will land on local TV. Then I'm back in Ohio for the holidays. That's 5-6 games I'll get to see without needing to pay for Sunday ticket.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Squires
I hate when I call DTV, they thank me for being such a loyal customer. All my loyalty has gotten me is higher prices. Yet every year they hand out sunday ticket free to new subscribers.

I understand that, completely.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Squires
I hate when I call DTV, they thank me for being such a loyal customer. All my loyalty has gotten me is higher prices. Yet every year they hand out sunday ticket free to new subscribers.

I understand that, completely.

In fairness they are giving away a years free ticket to gain a two year contract. I'm sure if you're willing to sign up for another two years they'd give you a free year of the ticket.

#GMSTRONG
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Best NFL Sunday Ticket Negotiation Tactic

Link Copied to Clipboard