Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#1151743 09/10/16 09:55 AM
W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
The other thread is locked so here we go...

I'm glad we pulled off another big win last night. Napoli has been a very good find for us in free agency. We didn't do well with that over the past few years (See: Swisher, Nick... Bourne, Michael).

Side note: Salazar is really worrying me lately. After being on the DL he had to leave the game early again. Hopefully, the training staff can get him righted again....

#gmstrong.
Legend
Legend
yeah, salazar looks like a different pitcher. tribe will need him

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
but I still like the way the Tribe has bounced back the past week or two

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
I agree. The bullpen was able to grind out a good win for us last night. Between Colon, McAllister, Otero, Shaw and Allen, they only gave up one hit and 2 walks against 4 strikeouts.

#gmstrong.
D
Legend
Legend
D
They didn't get much length out of Bauer the other day - he went 5. Last night, Salazar only gave them 3-2/3. And now today, we have an apparent "bullpen start", beginning with Clevinger. It would be unfair to expect Clevinger to go much more than 4 after weeks in the bullpen, even if he is a starter normally. Unfortunately, it appears the Indians are in the position of needing Tomlin to regain his early season form, because it doesn't look like they can count on Salazar.

J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Helps too that Balt is playing DET so these mean something for both teams

Legend
Legend
Let's go Tribe! (and White Sox, and Orioles, and Angels too!)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: WVDawg54
The other thread is locked so here we go...

I'm glad we pulled off another big win last night. Napoli has been a very good find for us in free agency. We didn't do well with that over the past few years (See: Swisher, Nick... Bourne, Michael).

Side note: Salazar is really worrying me lately. After being on the DL he had to leave the game early again. Hopefully, the training staff can get him righted again....

Nap has been great, and the fact we picked him up off the scrap heap pays even more dividends...I hope the FO actually pays people that perform, but alot of AL teams will be after him.

Salazar has never proven to be consistently healthy, its mostly his mechanics..with a violent delivery, its easy for him to lose his mechanics and then start to be erratic plus arm injuries are bound to happen, I think he'd be a good long bp guy or setup/close. I really think 80 pitches is his max. I'd even keep in the low 70's if he does come back for the season. Forearm tightness worries me. If i remember that is how it started before he had UCL surgery before. Hopefully it was just a case of him pressing after coming off DL. Give him a start off, come back and keep his pitch count down and hope for the best. I hope they give Clevinger more innings today, a bullpen game just says ok..you can win this one.. Though watching Clevinger more than 5 innings might be tough...Easily the most annoying prepitch routine..lol

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
IIRC, The Indians have an option on Nap for next season. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
IIRC, The Indians have an option on Nap for next season. wink

I don't think there's an option. According to Spotrac, its a straight 1 year $7M deal with some bonus money for plate appearances. He's UFA in 2017, with a market value of $13.2M ... and worth it, IMO.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/cleveland-indians/mike-napoli-445/

J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
There is no option on Nap, the year he is having he priced himself out for us next year, unless we dump Brantley, someone will over pay him next season

Legend
Legend
Must be Santana the Indians have an option on then.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Yes - I think its about $14M, though. I'd do it, but I don't know if they will.

J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J

Correct

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Jcamm
There is no option on Nap, the year he is having he priced himself out for us next year, unless we dump Brantley, someone will over pay him next season

If Nick Swisher was worth $15M, then Napoli certainly is. If the Indians decide to pay it, then I think it will be at the expense of losing Santana. Can't see both of them being back next year.

J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Nap is worth it, for once the Dolans need to spend

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dave
Yes - I think its about $14M, though. I'd do it, but I don't know if they will.

They have to. $14M is a steal for that kind of production.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Francona is working his September magic.

His handling of Clevinger and the rest of the pitching staff is masterful.

Legend
Legend
Tigers are getting their teeth kicked in tonight.

We'll have to win this one in extras if we can get out of the 9th against the Twins. We sure had a few golden opportunities to get some runs tonight.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
L
Legend
Legend
L
offense was freaking pathetic tonight, oh and i hate bullpen games...its just dumb and almost never results in a win.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M

Yes, the Indians have a $14M option on Santana.

As far as Napoli goes, the Tribe can extend him a $16M qualifying offer which may keep him here on a one year deal. All indications from Napoli are that he would like to comeback for another season. Tito might be able to talk him into staying.

Also, the Tribe will have $15M come off the total payroll next year from the Bourne and Swisher deal, as well as, Uribe's $4M and Tommy Hunter's $2M.

Chris Johnson is still on the hook for $9M in retained salaries, however.

With the uncertainty of Brantley's future, I think they try and lock up both Sanatana and Napoli for another year.

Legend
Legend
Well .... if the Indians had to lose, at least the Tigers also lost. That means the Indians magic number is down to 16.

Legend
Legend
yep, detroit losing is something i'll never complain about

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
oh and i hate bullpen games...its just dumb and almost never results in a win.

Really? 10 pitchers gave up 2 runs in nearly 12 innings. If you want to be mad about something, think about Tito not walking Mauer - who owns us - with two outs, man on 2nd, and first base open. That's baseball 101 there, set up the force at any base, etc.

If the Indians manage to blow the division lead, they need look no further than the Twins, a AAAA team IMO. We're 9-9 against them this year, and 28-9 against the rest of the AL Central. Most annoying.

Legend
Legend
tribe won't blow it, but I agree the record against MIN was awful considering

J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
We just struggle vs the Twins, We own Det this year baseball is a fickle chick

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Dave
Quote:
oh and i hate bullpen games...its just dumb and almost never results in a win.

Really? 10 pitchers gave up 2 runs in nearly 12 innings. If you want to be mad about something, think about Tito not walking Mauer - who owns us - with two outs, man on 2nd, and first base open. That's baseball 101 there, set up the force at any base, etc.

If the Indians manage to blow the division lead, they need look no further than the Twins, a AAAA team IMO. We're 9-9 against them this year, and 28-9 against the rest of the AL Central. Most annoying.

yeah i was mad about that too...i'm still waiting for this Tito magic everyone talks about..i haven't seen it. But yes, I'm still mad about the bullpen game...no reason to wear out your bullpen. If you're going to concede a game, then let clevinger go as far as he could. But yeah our bullpen was amazing, thats not what i'm mad about, just the concept. Our offense was pathetic and so was Tito's managing last night..luckily Tigers lost too.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Yes, the Indians have a $14M option on Santana.

As far as Napoli goes, the Tribe can extend him a $16M qualifying offer which may keep him here on a one year deal. All indications from Napoli are that he would like to comeback for another season. Tito might be able to talk him into staying.

Also, the Tribe will have $15M come off the total payroll next year from the Bourne and Swisher deal, as well as, Uribe's $4M and Tommy Hunter's $2M.

Chris Johnson is still on the hook for $9M in retained salaries, however.

With the uncertainty of Brantley's future, I think they try and lock up both Sanatana and Napoli for another year.

i don't think satana is worth that kind of money, you can find a bat that can field for that money, Napoli can atleast field, if i had to pick I'd take napoli on a short deal than santana on a longer one...its hard to say, but santana other than home runs kinda sucks at the plate, hits into a ton of DP and strikes out, can't field. But he doesn't hit for average and isnt that great with RISP, and with the Dolans being so cheap i think its going to come down to either or..I'm taking the guy that will have over 100 RBIs

but the fact that we own an option makes it a pretty simple deal for them. Noone to compete against, Napoli will have alot of suitors. Going to be an interesting offseason depending on how far we go

C
Legend
Legend
C
Where can you find a player that hits like Santana hits on a one year deal for $16M?

(You can't.)

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Tito's magic involves how our whole team got put together this year. We don't get Napoli here without Tito.That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Our team got built through smart management with the FO, and coaching staff. No way does our team get built like this without Tito here.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Where can you find a player that hits like Santana hits on a one year deal for $16M?

(You can't.)

A .240 hitter that strikes out over 100 times a season and can't field. Sorry that's not hard

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Tito's magic involves how our whole team got put together this year. We don't get Napoli here without Tito.That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Our team got built through smart management with the FO, and coaching staff. No way does our team get built like this without Tito here.

I think you're giving him too much credit, Napoli came here because we have his old hitting coach Burkleo. He never played for Tito

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

(You can't.)

A .240 hitter that strikes out over 100 times a season and can't field. Sorry that's not hard

Todd Frazier could be a decent replacement. He's getting $7.5 this year and is a free agent in the offseason.

Here are his stats...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/frazito01.shtml

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Tigers lost and the Indians are up 7-1

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: candyman92
Tigers lost and the Indians are up 7-1

At least one Cleveland team is delivering today.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Could get the magic number down to 14. laugh

Legend
Legend
Magic # is 14.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Kluber with another dominate performance. Nice win today.

7 games up on Detroit. thumbsup

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
as Dave would say:

"At this pace the Tribe will finish 94-66"

Although I might add the Tribe still will have to earn it.

I think .500 ball the rest of the way gets us there.

The Tribe finish the season with the cream of the AL Central.

D
Legend
Legend
D
If the Indians play .500 ball over their last 20 games, the Tigers need to go 17-3 over their last 20 just to tie them. Its looking good, but you know what Yogi said ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Indians: Home Stretch

Link Copied to Clipboard