Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Police Responding to Alleged Armed Robbery in Columbus Shoot, Kill 13-Yr-Old

An officer responding to a reported armed robbery shot and killed a 13-year-old boy when the teen pulled a firearm from his waistband that was later determined to be a BB gun but looked "practically identical" to the weapon that police use, authorities said Thursday.

The shooting happened around nightfall Wednesday in an alley east of downtown Columbus after a short foot chase.

Columbus police said officers had spotted three males who matched the description of the robbery suspects, and two of them ran away when officers tried to speak with them.

Officers followed the pair into a nearby alley and tried to take them into custody. Police said that's when 13-year-old Tyree King pulled out a gun, and one officer fired his weapon, hitting the boy repeatedly.

Tyree died at a children's hospital. The officers and the other male involved in the encounter weren't injured.

Authorities identified the officer who fired as a nine-year veteran of the force named Bryan Mason. He is white; Tyree was black.

At a news conference Thursday, Police Chief Kim Jacobs displayed a photo of what she called a "replica" of the BB gun that Tyree had.

"Our officers carry a gun that looks practically identical to this weapon," she said. "As you can see, it looks like a firearm that could kill you."

Mason has been placed on administrative leave while the shooting is investigated, per department protocol, Jacobs said.

Authorities said it wasn't clear if the shooting was caught on surveillance or cellphone video. Columbus police don't use body cameras.

Mayor Andrew Ginther appeared to choke up as he called for the community to come together to help ensure children remain safe. He questioned why an eighth-grader would have a replica of a police firearm.

"There is something wrong in this country, and it is bringing its epidemic to our city streets," Ginther said. "And a 13-year-old is dead in the city of Columbus because of our obsession with guns and violence."

Neighborhood resident Chris Naderer said he was home at the time and heard someone break fencing in his backyard, then saw an officer chasing two young black men and heard several gunshots.

"I just think it was bad circumstances that he had a gun," Naderer said.

Police reviewing evidence from the scene determined the boy's firearm was actually a BB gun with an attached laser sight.

The male who had been with Tyree was interviewed and released pending further investigation, police said. They provided no further information about him.

Police said additional suspects were being sought as the shooting and reported robbery remained under investigation.

The shooting will be reviewed internally, which is required under Columbus Division of Police protocol.

Jacobs said it's too soon to draw comparisons between Tyree's death and the Cleveland death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice, another case in which a white policeman fatally shot a black boy who had a pellet gun.

There was no chase in Tamir's case. A caller reported someone pointing a gun at people near a recreation center, and a rookie officer shot Tamir almost immediately after his police cruiser stopped nearby. The caller had said the person was likely a juvenile and the weapon was probably fake, but the call taker never passed that information to the dispatcher of the responding officers.

———

Associated Press reporters Kantele Franko in Columbus and Mark Gillispie in Cleveland contributed to this report.

Legend
Legend
that sucks frown

Clean shoot, but that really sucks frown

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'd like a little more description of what lead to this event, if the kid who got shot was actually involved with the group, and if he really did pull the gun. I hope there was a body cam for this.

No, I don't want to see a teen getting shot. I just want the full details, and we don't need another repeat of "Oh, the 911 dispatcher didn't tell me it was a fake gun."

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
I'd like a little more description of what lead to this event, if the kid who got shot was actually involved with the group, and if he really did pull the gun. I hope there was a body cam for this.

"Authorities said it wasn't clear if the shooting was caught on surveillance or cellphone video. Columbus police don't use body cameras."

Unless someone happened to have a camera on it there was no body cam.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
This is completely different than the Tamir rice incident.

The kid pulled out the replica like he was about to go Rambo.

Should've been around better people. Tough luck.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Sad story. A kid died far too young and I know this has to be devastating to the family. Hopefully they can find peace and the community comes together rather than dividing apart.

Just one thought, keeping in mind that I don't have any info other than what is written in the OP: from an officer's perspective, a replica gun or BB gun is the same thing as a real, centerfire gun. There's no practical way to tell the difference. I don't expect an officer to get close and inspect the muzzle.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Haus
Sad story. A kid died far too young and I know this has to be devastating to the family. Hopefully they can find peace and the community comes together rather than dividing apart.

Just one thought, keeping in mind that I don't have any info other than what is written in the OP: from an officer's perspective, a replica gun or BB gun is the same thing as a real, centerfire gun. There's no practical way to tell the difference. I don't expect an officer to get close and inspect the muzzle.

I agree with this 100%. Everything said.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
quote above:

"...this has to be devastating to the family."

Not necessarily.

It's very possible (I'd say even likely), The "family" couldn't care less about Tyree.

Other than they will be famous for 15 minutes. Maybe make some money.

Legend
Legend
I feel sorry for Tyree and even sorrier for the cop who will see that kid in his dreams forever.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Really?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A weapon, later determined to be a BB-gun, was recovered from scene of police-involved shooting in Columbus, Ohio.

Columbus Chief of Police Kim Jacobs and Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther speak at a news conference in Columbus, Ohio, Sept. 15, 2016.
more

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Wow.

That gun. Thirteen years-old.

I sense that Tyree was in effect playing.

He wanted to be a "tough guy". Probably had zero guidance. Probably had an awful self-image. Probably did not have a bright future.

It's too bad this incident is going to be twisted into something that it's not.

Legend
Legend
I'm keeping my mouth shut. However, my prayers go out to the victims in this tragedy.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: candyman92
I'm keeping my mouth shut. However, my prayers go out to the victims in this tragedy.

Same here cm. it maybe that i'm just old? But for the life of me I can't understand why a child would do such a thing.

Legend
Legend
I read this story this morning... So sad.... Sad that a kid that young was shot over something so stupid... Why would he pull out the BB gun? Just throw your hands up or get on the ground and tell them you have a toy gun on you...

There are many incidents lately where the police have used excessive force, this doesn't sound like one... What a travesty...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
On the bright side the kid who didn't run is perfectly fine, and even the other kid who was dumb enough to run but not so stupid as to pull out a gun on cops is just fine as well.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
saywhat

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
willynilly

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
How does this contribute to a thread about a teen unfortunately killed due to a really poor choice, and an officer who most likely will deal with some awful PTSD?

Posting random "hood" videos does nothing to help fix the problem, 40.

Legend
Legend
How can you discuss a cure without first agreeing on what symptoms are causing the issues? Why was this kid out with this gun? Why did he run? Why did he pull the gun out? I'm sure this isn't a learned trait from Sunday School. That video shows kids glorifying the actions of shooting people. Maybe these learned traits are coming from the same place? Doesn't that contribute to this thread?

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I for one thought exactly that.

It is one of the answers to the question people are asking, How can something like this happen.

V
Legend
Legend
V
A lot of people might find this hard to believe, but there are some very scary 13 year olds out there. They don't look like little kids. They don't talk like little kids. They don't act like little kids.

They can be very dangerous because they have already adopted the thug mentality, yet are emotionally immature and have a hard time rationalizing the consequences of their actions.

Legend
Legend

This happens more than you think. Kids just aren't stupid enough to record it.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Another classic example of bad parenting leading a kid to their death. You can fix the ignorance of a kid but you can't fix stupid, lazy parenting and no moral guidance or direction.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
On the bright side the kid who didn't run is perfectly fine, and even the other kid who was dumb enough to run but not so stupid as to pull out a gun on cops is just fine as well.

It's weird how that works, isn't it?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
Another classic example of bad parenting leading a kid to their death. You can fix the ignorance of a kid but you can't fix stupid, lazy parenting and no moral guidance or direction.

I haven't really followed this story, so I have to wonder if there are reports out there that this kid had terrible parents or are just jumping to that conclusion?

Not all parents who are are impoverished are bad parents.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I haven't really followed this story, so I have to wonder if there are reports out there that this kid had terrible parents or are just jumping to that conclusion?

Where does it ever say the kids were impoverished??

Subtle assumption there though

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Go away.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Go away.
no

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
This all is a result of the cycle of poverty in the inner-city. Yes, even this shooting got caused by the cycle of poverty.

Posting shock value videos does nothing but dehumanize individuals who already get dehumanized enough. Not saying what the kids in the video did is right by any means, but this is just low hanging fruit. It's easy to look at it, and then wonder "why?". Then jump to tons of conclusions with arguments that eventually devolve into "they got what was coming to them."

Sorry Tulsa, we're going to disagree on this one.

Edit: Not much info available on where the kid grew up. Assumed due to how these stories commonly turn out. Regardless, my point still stands about the trash shock video.

Last edited by RocketOptimist; 09/16/16 08:47 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yet, posting articles about cops shooting people serves what purpose?

Sorry Rocket, you are very biased when it comes to these issues.

Legend
Legend
Your Bigotry against inner-city folks is appalling.

There are plenty of poor inner-city folks who don't act like this and continue to struggle to get by. Your lumping them all into one basket is just wrong!

A
Legend
Legend
A
So, a kid running from the cops is a result of poverty. IN the inner city?

A kid that pulls a gun on cops is the result of poverty?

No. I disagree. It is the result of many things: Lack of respect for authority. Lack of respect for laws. Lack of parenting. And really, just a lack of respect for humanity.

Sorry, I don't think "poverty" (was the kid poverty ridden???????) is an excuse.

This shooting wasn't caused by poverty. It was caused by a person brandishing a gun to the cops.

Poverty sucks. It doesn't cause you to pull a gun on the cops. Period.

Legend
Legend
Your Bigotry against inner-city folks is appalling.

There are plenty of poor inner-city folks who don't act like this and continue to struggle to get by. Your lumping them all into one basket is just wrong!

It's what Trump does when he talks about Detroit.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: candyman92

It's what Trump does when he talks about Detroit.

Now Rocket, this is the kind of thing that doesn't belong in this thread. The crap hole political thread is two doors down on the left.

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

If your son pulls a BBgun on a cop and gets shot, you
Might just be a bad parent!

Last edited by Moxdawg; 09/17/16 07:40 AM.

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, you may be.............but, we really don't know for sure. It's dangerous to make all-encompassing generalizations about people.

Legend
Legend

Last edited by jfanent; 09/17/16 09:13 AM.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I made some bad choices early in life that were in no way a reflection of the parenting skills of my mother and father.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Columbus police shoot, Kill 13. yr. old

Link Copied to Clipboard