Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
I would say drafting guys like tom brady in the seventh round falls under luck, but ya the earlier rounds I would agree its not as much luck as it is skill.

Legend
Legend
I think most of the draft is luck, or at least good fortune/situation

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Today, against the Steelers, will be a real test and opportunity for assessment of Wentz. He shines and wins: we missed again

#gmstrong
J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Let's see how he does today vs a real defense then I will become a believer

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Cjrae
Today, against the Steelers, will be a real test and opportunity for assessment of Wentz. He shines and wins: we missed again

yep. its a big indicator

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Jcamm
Let's see how he does today vs a real defense then I will become a believer

I guess I want to take this approach too, but even if he plays poorly, he still looks the part.

Very composed, the game isn't too big for him, and makes good decisions. The guy looks ready and prepared.

Tackles are tackles.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
every defense is real. he doesn't make the schedule

Last edited by Iluvmyxstripper; 09/25/16 12:56 PM.
J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
I guess I was wrong he looks good, Harvard Idiots

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Wentz looks like the real deal.

Cleveland has been starving for a franchise QB for decades, DECADES. And in the last three drafts they chose to pass on three, Carr, Bridgewater (if he can play again) and Wentz.

The only silver lining in the Wentz cloud is we won't have to play him two times a year.

Legend
Legend
I will say this first, I do not care how well Carson Wentz does. I don't care if he becomes a franchise QB for Philly.

We made the trade, it's over. We got a crap ton in return.

There will be no winning or losing this trade for like 10 years.

Miami took Tannehill in 2012, what if that's the level Wentz reaches?

What if he wins a SB this year and then sucks after that?

What if he gets hurt?

Worrying about Wentz and how good he is oesnt help us going forward.

All it does is allow people to take shots at the Browns and a FO they don't like.

But I guess if that's what you prefer doing.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
A
Legend
Legend
A
Knowing what I know today, I would've changed the numbers I picked for yesterdays lottery.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Wentz is beating up on a "real" Steelers defense today

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Lottery is pure luck, evaluating tape on draft picks is a science and art form....

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: SunDawg
Lottery is pure luck, evaluating tape on draft picks is a science and art form....

Hindsight is 20/20 as well.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
As Wentz and his outstanding offensive line slowly dismantle the Steelers. 27-3

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Steelers are a real D, but that's mostly due to the front 7. Philly's OL is pretty good. Wentz has pretty good time , clean pockets, and relatively big windows (probably bigger than he saw in the FCS most of the time)

He probably wouldn't have any of those on the Browns. I like the motivating Hue has been doing, but I haven't been impressed with the playcalling.

Wentz is looking good, but I think the Philly D is looking better. They are shutting Pittsburgh down.

I'd still take Wentz over any of our QBs.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
can't believe the Harvard idiots are getting defended.
they had a franchise QB waiting to be selected and outsmarted themselves

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
I like the motivating Hue has been doing, but I haven't been impressed with the playcalling.

I am of the same opinion. While I am not an OC ( rofl), my impression has been that it has been, shall we say, "erratic". Today's game seemed to have a much better flow to it...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
can't believe the Harvard idiots are getting defended.
they had a franchise QB waiting to be selected and outsmarted themselves

The mortal enemy of all this is the constant turnover in the FO and the coaching staff. It is the root cause of most of the Browns problems. The irony in all of this is if Pettine and Farmer had been retained, I'm sure Wentz would be a Brown. So we got a good coach but the FO turnover and the switch to a different way of approaching things caused the Browns to outsmart themselves once again.

When Pettine was brought aboard, I was adamant we keep him and Farmer in place for a long time. I admit I turned on them and was ready for a change. I think the only way to break this awful cycle the Browns are in is we have to see this out with Hue and this FO for a very long time. I think that's the only way. 3, 5, 7 years, whatever ... just let these guys stay in place, learn from their mistakes, keep a consistent message and systems in place and keep grinding until it turns.

The Wentz thing is hard to swallow. But we can't unwind it so this organization has to figure out how to move forward. I think Hue's the guy. He's not as good as people would like to believe. I believe he's great at pushing the right buttons. He's aggressive and competitive which I love. But he's a terrible judge of talent and a mediocre play caller. But I think his pros outweigh his cons. And just like players, he will develop and grow into the role.

Stability is what we have to hang our hats on at this time. More change will just prolong the curse. The only way to beat the curse is to go away from reacting to impatiently.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
I like the motivating Hue has been doing, but I haven't been impressed with the playcalling.

I am of the same opinion. While I am not an OC ( rofl), my impression has been that it has been, shall we say, "erratic". Today's game seemed to have a much better flow to it...

I think he might be having some adjustment issues to being both the OC and the HC

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
S
Rookie
Rookie
S
Went is the real deal. We missed the train again!!!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Off of one game? RG3 had an excellent first season. How did that work out? Andrew Luck came out like a ball of fire, took Indy to the playoffs a couple years now he's come back to earth. I believe he will get his mojo back and end up a HOF QB but that's not a certainty. TIME is what tells us about QB's. Perhaps we did miss again. Though we can never be certain about that even if Wentz does have a great career. Who;s to say he would have survived this season ? He might have had his ego shattered.....

Also, there is the fact that Hue Jackson is out HC. He needs to find a QB HE can "marry". Just because Wentz is a fit for the EEgles, doesn't mean he'd be a fit for Jackson and what he wants to do offensively.

It is looking very likely we will have the first pick in the draft next year. Unless the QB crop is bereft of talent I presume we will be taking a QB there. Of course if a team offers us 5 first round picks all bets are off lol. This is a long term rebuild. Finding a QB is important but we have time. Coach will absolutely be looking to find "THE" QB. Better draft a bunch of offensive linemen as well lol

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: slc1

You know this off of three games?

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
Originally Posted By: slc1

You know this off of three games?

Well, he is lookin' really good, even if it's just three games. I didn't see all of the game, but I love that they beat the Steelers.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
j/c:

People are so intent on defending the FO, that they are resorting to making things up and refuse to acknowledge what this kid is doing.

It's hard to believe he is a rookie. It's not about his numbers or just playing in three games. It is about the poise, the decision making, the accuracy, the intelligence to change protections and call audibles, the ability to extend plays and not panic in the pocket.

The kid is an excellent qb.

I was wrong in my pre-draft assessment of not wanting the Browns to draft him w/the second overall pick.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Jcamm
I guess I was wrong he looks good, Harvard Idiots

Yup, looks like the real deal for sure.

But remember, we got a boat load for that trade and it was clearly a crapshoot. So, while hindsight is 20/20 and I'd love to have him now, I have to admit, I wasn't upset with the trade when it happened.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Must agree with ya 100% Vers, the kid was the pick and we missed it " Period " .. ALL the excuses in the World will not change that ; but they will keep them coming !

Yesterdays game made me fall in line with this Coaching staff ! .. When it comes to turning in a card for QB next draft , I will have my fingers crossed ..

D
Legend
Legend
D
Yet another stellar game. I actually turned the Philly game off because I knew all this would lead to more "we blew it" talk. Sooner or later, if he keeps playing like that, I'll be joining in on the blew it talk.

LA also is probably wondering as they watch Goff slowing improving and Wentz is lighting it up.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Wentz isn't a Brown so it should be a mute point. We passed on the guy. It is time to move forward as there is no point in harking on what could, would or should have been. It is wasted energy at this point.

Cody started shaky yesterday but, he settled down and played a solid game. His numbers were better than Prescott's 1st rookie game and they were better than either Griffin or McCown's. It is still a question mark if he is the guy but, he played better than any of us probably expected and deserves our patience.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
Wentz isn't a Brown so it should be a mute point. We passed on the guy. It is time to move forward as there is no point in harking on what could, would or should have been. It is wasted energy at this point.

Look, if you don't want to talk about it.........Don't! However, I am so tired of guys like you telling others what they can or can't talk about.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Look, if you don't want to talk about it.........Don't! However, I am so tired of guys like you telling others what they can or can't talk about.

Where did I say in my post you CAN'T talk about it? Show me.

If you take the time to re-read my post you will notice I state an opinion. Just as you do about Wentz and how you believe we should have taken him and the coaches whiffed on trading the #2. But, if you re-read my post you will see that nowhere do I say "hey guys, you can't talk about this".

Go ahead and waste the energy...by all means get super worked up and angry about it. It doesn't change the fact the coaches decided to pass on him and he he isn't a Cleveland Brown. Personally I would save all that angst and energy on players who are actually on the team.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Personally I would save all that angst and energy on players who are actually on the team.

Yeah let's talk about how great Josh Gordon looked Sunday. rolleyesdevil

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Quote:
Personally I would save all that angst and energy on players who are actually on the team.

Yeah let's talk about how great Josh Gordon looked Sunday. rolleyesdevil

brownie

Legend
Legend
BUT, how cool will it be to see him, Pryor, Coleman, Barnidge, Duke/Crow out there together

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

Off of one game? RG3 had an excellent first season. How did that work out? Andrew Luck came out like a ball of fire, took Indy to the playoffs a couple years now he's come back to earth. I believe he will get his mojo back and end up a HOF QB but that's not a certainty. TIME is what tells us about QB's. Perhaps we did miss again. Though we can never be certain about that even if Wentz does have a great career. Who;s to say he would have survived this season ? He might have had his ego shattered.....

Also, there is the fact that Hue Jackson is out HC. He needs to find a QB HE can "marry". Just because Wentz is a fit for the EEgles, doesn't mean he'd be a fit for Jackson and what he wants to do offensively.

It is looking very likely we will have the first pick in the draft next year. Unless the QB crop is bereft of talent I presume we will be taking a QB there. Of course if a team offers us 5 first round picks all bets are off lol. This is a long term rebuild. Finding a QB is important but we have time. Coach will absolutely be looking to find "THE" QB. Better draft a bunch of offensive linemen as well lol

Well, no. However, there were two games prior to this one that he looked good as well. This game was just offered a formidable opponent.

He has shown poise in the pocket, command of the offense, ability to read the D, leadership, team members appear to respect and want to play for and with him, he understands the game, he has similar stats thus far to other highly successful qbs in the league.

As far as a fit with the Browns, behind this O line, guess we'll never know.

Don't know, but to me he sure sounds like someone to build a team around...or not.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
j/c:

People are so intent on defending the FO, that they are resorting to making things up and refuse to acknowledge what this kid is doing.

It's hard to believe he is a rookie. It's not about his numbers or just playing in three games. It is about the poise, the decision making, the accuracy, the intelligence to change protections and call audibles, the ability to extend plays and not panic in the pocket.

I was wrong in my pre-draft assessment of not wanting the Browns to draft him w/the second overall pick.

Lot of people are looking to be wrong about Wentz...myself included. I figured he'd be good but it would take a year or two. Dude certainly looks like the real deal.

The Browns FO took the high percentage play and I can't fault them for that. Plus its not like we made out badly in the trade.

I think, looking over the long term, this trade will end up being a win-win for both franchises. The Browns build an actual team core and Philly gets their QB.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: CanadaDawg
j/c:

Lot of people are looking to be wrong about Wentz...myself included. I figured he'd be good but it would take a year or two. Dude certainly looks like the real deal.

The Browns FO took the high percentage play and I can't fault them for that. Plus its not like we made out badly in the trade.

I think, looking over the long term, this trade will end up being a win-win for both franchises. The Browns build an actual team core and Philly gets their QB.

I agree canadadawg Wentz would have been nice but we needed so much more and I think we did pretty good and have a lot more picks coming ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
So, we missed on Wentz.

I have a question for the board. I'm looking at RG3 and McCown standing on the sidelines with slings on their arms.

Does Wentz survive behind our O Line?

And what would the narrative have been if he was on our team and got hurt like they did?

Remember, Wentz was injured in college, and got injured in preaseason.

So are we 2-1 with Wentz as our QB? Or are we blasting the FO for taking a injury prone QB with the 2nd pick in the draft after he gets injured again, this time behind our o line?

Hindsight is always 20/20. But let's not forget that the eagles had a boat load of talent that makes Wentz life a hell of a lot easier than if he came here.

I personally think the QB's coming out next year are the same or better than Wentz.

That's just my opinion. But our potential franchise QB will be walking into a way better situation next season than this one.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Swish
So, we missed on Wentz.

I have a question for the board. I'm looking at RG3 and McCown standing on the sidelines with slings on their arms.

And what would the narrative have been if he was on our team and got hurt like they did?

Remember, Wentz was injured in college, and got injured in preaseason.

So are we 2-1 with Wentz as our QB? Or are we blasting the FO for taking a injury prone QB with the 2nd pick in the draft after he gets injured again, this time behind our o line?

Hindsight is always 20/20. But let's not forget that the eagles had a boat load of talent that makes Wentz life a hell of a lot easier than if he came here.

I personally think the QB's coming out next year are the same or better than Wentz.

That's just my opinion. But our potential franchise QB will be walking into a way better situation next season than this one.

+1 thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

swish...who is responsible for putting this offensive line together?

The front office provides the coaches with the talent, then it's up to the coaches to mold that talent....you can see what we got...the front office kicked two starters to curb and handed the coaching staff Erving and Pasztor.

Last edited by mac; 09/26/16 10:54 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Carson Wentz: After the Fact

Link Copied to Clipboard