Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1162982 09/26/16 11:15 PM
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Hue Jackson 9 Months Later

Hue and his assistants. Where are we at?

Player Development

Coaching/Training at Berea

Game Coaching, Game Management/Adjustments

Leadership

Man Management

Public Relations

Player Identification

?

Barry Bonds Check
Roger Clemens Check
Mark McGuire Check
Lance Armstrong Check

71-79 Steelers Taboo
(Lets pretend it didn't happen.)
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I gotta admit i'm disappointed in Hue. All I heard was how great this guy is and how lucky we are to get him. I question some of his moves like kicking off in OT last game. Not sure why he did this. Fake punt with no kicker back. Passing on Wentz. Not sure what he didn't like about him. Seems like the perfect QB for our Divison. He can maybe grow into the job but I'll never get over all the trading down and passing on Wentz.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
I gotta admit i'm disappointed in Hue. All I heard was how great this guy is and how lucky we are to get him. I question some of his moves like kicking off in OT last game. Not sure why he did this. Fake punt with no kicker back. Passing on Wentz. Not sure what he didn't like about him. Seems like the perfect QB for our Divison. He can maybe grow into the job but I'll never get over all the trading down and passing on Wentz.

I'd agree that some of his play selection has been a bit of a head scratcher. The first play with all that motion and movement was a terrible idea. But I do get kicking the ball away in OT. The defense was playing well. By putting the defense out there first, it gave us a few more minutes to put together a plan for the offense. We get down on Parkay for missing 3 of 6 FG's, but the fact remains this offense wasn't scoring at will either.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Our D had been playing fantastic, I can understand him kicking off, I however disagree with that decision because you score a TD its over. I also believe the fake punt debacle and not calling a TO was really Hue being caught like a deer in headlights. Running the clock down with 20 seconds when u had a FG kicker that was a mess instead of running one maybe even 2 more plays to get the kick to maybe 30 or 40 yards.

I think this is what hue meant when he said he needs to do a better job. Now with that said, Hue has been fantastic at milking the talent of these young kids despite the rash of injuries and inexperience.

Legend
Legend
One thing really stands out to me so far this year:

We are 2nd in the NFL at 5.7 yards/rush so far. 5.7 yards/rush!

We are 4th in the NFL at 144 yards/game rushing.

How long have we been searching, desperately, for a running game? Thus far, we have one. The same RBs who struggled last year are both putting up really good numbers this year.

I was also impressed in how they managed Kessler. I know that a lot of people had a vision of needing 2 hands to count the interceptions Kessler was going to throw in his 1st start. I thought that he struggled right off the bat, but that he settled down, and the game slowed a little for him as he played. He was not perfect by any stretch .... but he didn't look like a lost cause .... and that was far more than most people expected.

I look at our WRs, and we have had 2 superstar performances in the 1st 2 weeks, with Coleman having a great game last week, and Pryor just blowing up against the Dolphins. That is a testament to the coaching.

We entered this game with 9 veterans with 6 or more years experience. Of these, we have lost to injury the following: McCown, Tramont Williams, Joe Haden, and thus far Hawkins looks like a complete non-factor. One of those players ins our punter. This team is ridiculously young, and within 3 games we have already lost 2 QB, our PK, 2 CB, 1 S, 1 WR, our C, and I am sure I am forgetting someone.

Hue has a clear vision, and I think that his vision is starting to translate to the field. His teams run the ball very well, and build everything else on a strong run game. We are starting out doing that thus far.

I am impressed with how Hue has handled the youth, and incredible string of injuries thus far. He has made a couple of head scratching decisions .... and anyone who was on the Gameday thread knows that my reaction to kicking off in OT was "What???????". However, overall, I have been pleased with Hue thus far. He doesn't accept losing. He takes the responsibility for everything that happens on the field, and doesn't allow his players to. Originally I said that I thought it would take 3 years to get us to the point where we could break .500. I think that we might get there by next year. I just hope that we don't screw this up, because I think that we have the right head coach.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
wayyyyy too early for post like this

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
I should have added: Handles Adversity on my little list.

O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Its a month too late.

Nobody is saying that the responses have to be negative.

By answering these questions it forces us to think.

1st String
1st String
I took last year off from watching games because I got to the point where it was just becoming too painful to watch the product this organization put on the field. While I admit I did check scores and watch highlights, I decided to use my Sunday's as time for family and business. I'm basically doing the same thing this season as well.

Funny thing is, I'm optimistic about the future of this team as long as we keep Hue. I think once we get two more drafts under our belt we will be competitive with the rest of the teams in our division. And to be completely honest, it's more of a feeling than anything else. But man, I think we have real weapons on offense for the first time in years. If Hue can pull it together, having Gordon, Coleman, Pryor, Johnson & Barnidge on the field at the same time could become a very scary proposition in the very near future.

Not to mention with a young, but improving pass rush I think this team could be ready for prime time sooner than we think. Just one man's opinion.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Hue is doing fantastic.

We are 2-1 with a division win other than kicking. You can't blame Hue for that.

I mean, first our kicker misses 2, goes on IR, then we bring in a PRO BOWL kicker and he misses 3 game winners. It's just the curse. Hue is doing a great job.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We have not gotten it handed to us these last two weeks, despite the low talent level on the team. The game plan for Kessler was great, as far as hiding his weaknesses.

I think with the hand he was dealt, he's doing ok.

The fake punt, that was a bad one. In hindsight, passing on Wentz is starting to look like a mistake. Not running a play to try to get closer on that FG was a puzzler, or at least running to the right as the guy;s kicks seemed to be trending left.

Watching the game on TV (Columbus switched to the OAK/JAX game when DEN/CIN was done so we can watch the post game handshakes before they switched to us) and when we kicked in OT after winning the toss one of the announcers mentioned it may have been to give the offense a break. Maybe, maybe not. But we forced a punt, so that's all good. It was a good punt, and our RT put us in a hole with the hold. And that was that, we could not seal the deal.

So, I am pleased with Hue so far.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Fast forward to next year and the year after and I think we are in the thick of playoff hunts within our division. I'm seeing our team move forward, yet it seems like Pittsburgh and Baltimore are in decline. Cinci will be our biggest rival in two years I think.

I think we might even be more competitive later this season... but that's a huge maybe. JMHO

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
yet it seems like Pittsburgh and Baltimore are in decline.

the problem is i've literally read/heard this for 15 years

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
It's obvious in Baltimore, but the Big Ben factor has kept Pitt going IMHO. Flacco doesn't have that.

Ben's getting up there now so it has to start showing soon.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I believe Hue is doing a good job...especially given the inexperienced front office he has to deal with.

The leak to the Miami media about the front office going cheap on a kicker, might be the first indication that there is some friction between the coaching staff and front office.

Moneyball is being attempted by the Browns owner and his front office and I believe some in the organization realize it's damn hard build a winning football team ON THE CHEAP...and the frustration is beginning to show, imo.

My greatest fear is that many of Hue's coaching staff will want out after just one season of Moneyball. But I believe Hue is doing a very good job, so far.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Legend
Legend
D
I think Hue as head coach is winning the love and respect from his team.

I think Hue as offensive play caller has been a bit disappointing. Alot of questionable calls and etc.

All and all, it's too early to pass deep judgment on the man. Way too early. We're three games into the season guys lol.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Olskool711
Hue Jackson 9 Months Later

Hue and his assistants. Where are we at?

Player Development:
It's a little early, but I think the staff has done a good job w/the young guys. Pryor is lighting it up. Guys like Nassib, Ogbah, and Kendricks are contributing.

Coaching/Training at Berea:
Hard to say as I did not attend TC. However, the players said they liked the energy that Hue provided and they seemed genuinely sincere w/those comments. I do question the full contact aspect of the camp, though. Football is so physical and injuries seemingly occur more often when the body is worn down.

Game Coaching, Game Management/Adjustments:
I think Hue has been up and down in this area. A few of his decisions have seemed radical. Not sure I agree w/not trying to gain a few yards before kicking the potential game-winning FG. However, his game plan against Miami was a masterpiece. He really masked Kessler's weaknesses. And the team has stuck to the run after week one.

Leadership:
It's been very good thus far. He has held himself accountable and there is no doubt about who is in charge. He has a strong personality and embraces the leadership role.

Man Management:
I think Hue has held his players accountable thus far w/out being too harsh on them. It's a bit early for this one, too.

Public Relations:
Very good. Hue knows how to work the media and sell the product. That might wear thin w/people as the losses continue to mount, but he's got people on a string right now.

Player Identification:
This looks to be his weakest area. Wentz, Prescott, Kessler, Hughes, etc.

Handles Adversity:
It's really early, but he has done a good job thus far. He doesn't make too many excuses and says the right things to keep the focus in the right spot.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

when else would you do a "9 months later" post?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL.........you're on a roll today.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

when else would you do a "9 months later" post?
rolleyesdevil

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: mac
The leak to the Miami media about the front office going cheap on a kicker, might be the first indication that there is some friction between the coaching staff and front office.

I'm not certain there was a "leak". Gould was available; Parkey was available, they chose Parkey. I'm guessing someone noticed Gould would have cost more and assumed the FO chose Parkey because he was cheaper.

Did they even consider that he was a pro bowl kicker in 2014, before an injury, and that he is younger and could stick with the team over the long haul? They didn't mention that, they saw cheaper and thought, "MONEYBALL!" and ran with it. It makes a good story if you enjoy calling the Browns stupid.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The leak was Tony Grossi making things up because Berea has cut him off completely. Frankly, many members on this board has much better info than Tony Grossi at this point. He is blackballed in Berea.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I would much rather read you guys posts than anything Grossi writes. It's all uninformed opinion, but at least some of you guys know football...lol.

Grossi hasn't been in the loop in Berea for quite some time now.

Last edited by BigWillieStyle; 09/27/16 02:33 PM.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend

When is the right time to start a thread asking how Hue is doing after 9 months?

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
Legend
V
Not sure where you got this information, but Grossi has been in Berea almost every day.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think what he means is no one with the team is going to talk to him. Others in the media joke on twitter about him being "blackballed" by the Browns. It's been an on going thing now for several years. Anything he says is basically an opinion or a guess.......has been that way since the H&H days they say.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think that has changed w/Hue.

However, it might be a good idea to get back to the thread instead of moving the focus to a leak. Who cares about who leaked what?

I think I am the only one who actually responded to all of the OP's questions.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Originally Posted By: mac

I'm not certain there was a "leak". Gould was available; Parkey was available, they chose Parkey. I'm guessing someone noticed Gould would have cost more and assumed the FO chose Parkey because he was cheaper.

Did they even consider that he was a pro bowl kicker in 2014, before an injury, and that he is younger and could stick with the team over the long haul? They didn't mention that, they saw cheaper and thought, "MONEYBALL!" and ran with it. It makes a good story if you enjoy calling the Browns stupid.

dub...the news of the disagreement within the Browns organization made it's way to a Miami Herald sports writer via league sources.

Does it really matter what we call it?...someone leaked the information to the media...someone squealed to the media...

...what do you want to call it?

Regardless of the sales pitch your selling in favor of Parkey, the story says the Browns special teams coach, Tabor, wanted Gould because he had coached him in Chicago and he obviously thought he was a better choice than Parkey.

Fact is, the front office signed the cheapest option...a common theme among players dismissed by this front office.

I guess that is how "MONEYBALL" works...with "cheap" being a major concern. The Oakland A's believed they were forced to find players that were "undervalued" by the market, in order to compete against the larger market teams, such as the Yankees.

Looking at Parkey, he fits the Moneyball mold of a player who is undervalued by the market..so Depodesta scooped him up, convinced that Moneyball is the best method to reach your goal.

BUT THAT IS THE PROBLEM...what is the goal?

...this front office appears to have a goal of cutting expenses..cutting players who have higher paying contracts than the minimum amount.

Parkey came cheap and Depo jumped at the chance to sign a player undervalued by the market.

Gould had a proven track record kicking 10 seasons for the Bears. Chris Taber, the Browns current special team's coach began his NFL career with the Bears in 2008, as an assistant special team's coach. Tabor spent 3 sesasons coaching Gould in Chicago before he was hired by the Browns in 2011.

Tabor's goal was not the same as Depodesta's goal and that created the problem.

A first year front office Harvard Boy, book-learned in the concepts of Moneyball, who is driven by an entirely different goal than the special teams coach with 23 years of experience...IS ALLOWED TO OVERRULE the special teams coach who is educated in.....FOOTBALL.....NFL FOOTBALL.

As a result, the cheap FG kicker missed 3 FGs against the Dolphins..the last miss with the game on the line with 4 seconds on the clock.

Taber should ask Depodesta, how much is a win worth to you?

Houston, we have a problem in Cleveland...the front office is not on the same page as the special teams coach!

Moneyball in the NFL...won't work...unless the Browns goal is to be the cheapest team in the NFL, winning The Most Cap Space Award, every year.

jmho...mac

Last edited by mac; 09/27/16 06:16 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Which 0-3 team would you rather be a fan of?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000710924/article/which-03-team-would-you-rather-be-a-fan-of

By Around The NFL staff NFL.com
Published: Sept. 27, 2016 at 01:50 p.m.

These are halcyon days for fans of the Patriots, Ravens, Broncos, Eagles and Vikings. Your teams are rolling; undefeated when it seems so many other teams are just trying to sort themselves out.

Then, there are the fans of the Jaguars, Browns, Saints and Bears. Statistically, there is about a 3 percent chance one of these teams will reach the postseason. Since 1980, only five teams who have started off by losing their first three games made the playoffs. Only one team since the merger -- the 1992 San Diego Chargers -- made the playoffs at 0-4.

So to make most of you feel better, the Around The NFL power alley of Kevin Patra, Marc Sessler and Conor Orr discussed which of the 0-3 teams they would rather be a fan of and why you will get by/survive.

Cleveland Browns

Look, I get all the criticism. So much of it remains valid, and it isn't easy for Browns fans to watch Carson Wentz fry teams in three straight starts. Still, anyone watching the game tape over the past two weeks sees a Cleveland roster burning for a win while playing the Ravens and Dolphins right down to the wire. The Browns have been involved in a thousand hyper-dull games since 1999, but this team is far from dull. That's impossible when Hue Jackson responded to losing his top two quarterbacks by unleashing a wild, two-quarterback rotation of rookie Cody Kessler and Terrelle Pryor. It was something out of a Madden fever dream and memorable because Pryor ripped through the Dolphins for 200 total yards of offense on Sunday. They won't win many games this season, but adding Josh Gordon and a healthy Corey Coleman to the mix only ups the strange nature of this bizarro offense.

Beyond what's on the field today -- and being haunted weekly by Wentz being compared to every living Hall of Fame passer -- it will be fascinating to watch Cleveland's beyond-the-borderlands front office build a roster with the bounty of future draft picks they own. Winning team? Not yet? Interesting? You bet.

-- Marc Sessler

V
Legend
Legend
V
mac and Vambo............would you guys please stick to the thread topic?

Both of your posts would fit better in mac's thread about the FO.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
mac and Vambo............

Legend
Legend
I like Hue.

I think had we spent a crap ton of money in FA and traded for a solid starter he could of made some real noise this season with them..

But that kind of team rarely lasts.

They want to build something, because as much as we talk of rebuilding, we've never actually built anything since 99..

I think he's the right guy for the job. He's not perfect obviously, but he's really good.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
So I'm thinking... Hue seems really similar in a number of ways to another successful coach.

He successfully builds a running game and the pass works better for it.

He is considered to have a gift when developing quarterbacks. He coaches to their strenghts and adapts to them.

He gets players to buy in and they play hard for him.

He coached in the bay area.

You guys have made me realize that Hue really doesn't have much experience as a Head Coach and has to grow. He isn't as smart as Jim Harbaugh, at least not yet. He doesn't cover all his bases as well as Harbaugh, and he certainly hasn't established himself as a winner like Harbaugh has, but I see similarities in the way they coach and how their teams look (when he was with the 49'rs). At least to me.

I hope he works at tightening up his mistakes and being more focused. He could become good, maybe even great.

I think he still has a way to go.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I love the Job Hue is doing. I don't agree with everything he does mind you but he has this team fighting to win. Considering the adversity they are dealing with the team has played far better than I had ever hoped they would.

This is his first season with these players so I am sure that some have let him down. I think he will make adjustments that many of us won't like this upcoming offseason but I am willing to bet we win a lot more games next season with the quality of coaching he is providing.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
Hue will be as good as the QB we eventually designate as "The Guy"

RG3 wasn't really thought to be the guy, he had a chance, they took a chance on him, it's over now.. moving on..

People can bring up the "trust me" quote all they want, but Kessler was still only a 3rd round pick, so unless they name him the guy for the forseeable future, he's also not it.. and even if they do, that basically gives them more time..

HCs, good HCs, win because they have good QBs.

Hell if we had a chance at Andrew Luck.. Pat Shurmur may still be here..

Eventually Hue and the FO will have to hitch their wagon on one guy, and if he becomes "The Guy" and is good.. everyones good.. if not.. well.. We're used to that.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Nine months later, Hue is faced with the first public dispute between one of his coaches and the Moneyballers.

By the end of the season, I would not be shocked if some on the coaching staff want to opt out of moneyball in Cleveland.

IMO, it looks like Hue settled the issue by giving the kid one more game, smoothing over the situation for now.

Hue Jackson 9 months later...his real problems are just beginning.

V
Legend
Legend
V
mac and Vambo--------what do you two think of Hue and these topics?

Quote:
Player Development

Coaching/Training at Berea

Game Coaching, Game Management/Adjustments

Leadership

Man Management

Public Relations

Player Identification

Handles Adversity

Legend
Legend
He's taking a group of very young guys and the team and Hue are feeling growing pains.

It's way to early to worry about Hue Jackson. I think given what he's working with, he's a miracle worker.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Not sure where you got this information, but Grossi has been in Berea almost every day.

I listen to the RBS on my way into work each morning right around the time Grossi appears on the show. Grossi on air is different than Grossi in print. Grossi in print is a jaded Browns fan obviously bitter from the years of losing and his deteriorated relationship with the Browns. I do love his #100yearswar references though.

Grossi on air is much more reasonable, balanced, and sane. Part of it is because the other guys on the show are morons and part of it is because they will ask him about reports like this and more often than not Grossi comes clean that they are not true. Not in a "I lied" kind of way, but in a suggestive way. You can tell the way he tap dances around things and the words he chooses that he often stretches the truth. I didn't hear reaction to this particular report, but that's my general sense of Grossi. I walk away from 90% of his interviews believing he has no contacts inside Berea at all. A lot of his takes are speculative and suggestive.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Yeah, I don't recall him breaking news due to any inside information in quite a long time. Hell, I think Mary Kay Cabot has better intel that Grossi.

But to be fair national reporters seem to get all the juicy stuff but Tony has done little for a very long time.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Hue Jackson 9 Months Later

Link Copied to Clipboard