Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am surprised that Greco's grade is not higher. He was doing a tremendous job of sealing his man and providing holes for Crow.

I think Poyer was much better than Kindred. Kindred should not ever be the deep safety. He made the wrong choice in almost every instance yesterday, especially around the goal line.

Kindred (30) has been an amazing tackler, though. The one that sticks out the most to me was that open field tackle on Pitta that saved a TD (temporarily) in the BAL game, but there have been many.

Boddy-Calhoun (20) has got some work to do IMO in terms of getting into correct position in zone and for tackling, as to be expected from a scrap-heap UDFA pickup.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, they really stepped up yesterday.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

This team is different...this coach is different...this front office is different.

Resilience? With three different QBs and three different Cs and three different RGs in three games - now four: We had a legit shot to win 3 of 4 games. With only ONE WR who has played a half season at WR in the NFL and a 3rd Rd rookie project QB who shouldn't see the field until the end of NEXT year. What team have we fielded STR that could pull that off. We are able to run the ball with 3 Cs & RGs in 4 games...and run it well.

I cannot remember having a HC bring so much confidence to a team and to this fan. How this guy keeps us competitive with the youth and injuries is nothing short of remarkable. He gets too cute at times for my taste...but man, I expect us to compete every week and I expect young players to develop. His next man up mentality and expectations of his players is refreshing for a team devoid of that for decades.

I'm weary of the FO bashing that gets bantered about...I see that they aren't perfect and have made mistakes. HOWEVER, look at the players they found after the original 53 and the contributions from those players. It's unheard of for a Browns FO to get guys like Paea, Wright, Reiter, Calhoun, C Johnson (back), and a pro bowl kicker off the waiver wire/street/practice squad of other teams who contribute immediately.

How many 3rd downs did we convert yesterday? On 3rd and short, I now EXPECT that we will get the yards we need. When was the last time you felt that way?

I thought we'd get more stops on D this week...we didn't...but I'm starting to expect that we WILL because I've now actually seen us do it.

We've come a long way in a short period of time and still have a long way to go...but we've not been this competitive in a long time. No one is going to want to play us the last half of the season.

Legend
Legend
Paea has been great thus far IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
and whoever Gabe Wright is flashed yesterday

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
For whatever reason it seems like every week there are 2-3 players who make me say "who is that guy?"

Legend
Legend
12-4

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
12-4

lol we've won 3 games since november 2014

Legend
Legend
the cavs won just as many over Golden State in one week

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
12-4

lol we've won 3 games since november 2014

Ouch... damn that's pathetic.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree with your post Willie except for one thing. No one will want to play us in the 2nd half of the season as long as we get all our players back and stay away from further injuries. Then we may have something.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Once again we managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. But isn't that what many of us expected? We have a lot of youth with little depth.

And for those of you who wish to see Kessler throw it deep? How many times have we seen us draft QB's then expect them to do too much too soon? It only serves to ruin their confidence and stunt their growth. IMO what Hue is doing is asking Kessler to play within himself. To allow some success and confidence to build up in Kessler and go from there. I feel that's a wise way to approach it. While that may not equate to many wins, it's the best way of developing a limited QB prospect.

I will say that it seems our FO has a way of finding contributors from other teams practice squads. They aren't world beater but they seem to fit what we're trying to do and contribute week in and week out.

With such a young team, momentum is something that will greatly impact them. A more mature team can often overcome adversity, but when you're dealing with so much youth, their spirits can be crushed much easier. We've seen that often even though the season is only one fourth over.

I'm not crazy about some of the plays Hue has called, but I will say that when you have such obstacles in the talent department, getting creative becomes a necessity. I'm really not going to harp on a guy who tries to pull out all of the stops to try to win.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Top defensive grades:

CB Jamar Taylor, 81.5

DE Stephen Paea, 78.2

NT Danny Shelton, 76.8

NT Jamie Meder, 75.5

DE Xavier Cooper, 74.3

Browns’ inability to defend against the run leads to loss

Ok, our inability to defend against the run was a huge problem, yet DL got 4 of the 5 highest grades on D?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Ok, our inability to defend against the run was a huge problem, yet DL got 4 of the 5 highest grades on D?
It suggest that the errors in the run game wasn't necessarily from the front 3/4 DL.

And imo that is supported by poor tackling. Too many yards were given up after contact and too many missed tackles.

Kirksey (who has been playing better then some expected) had a bad game, there were at least a couple plays where he was out position and Davis continued to display his struggle with range, change of direction and not finishing plays. Imo Shobert is a good candidate for DD spot....but there is the leadership role Davis plays.

The secondary shared in the missed tackle party. I like Kindred, I love his aggression but I wish he would keep his head up and drive through tackles and finish with his arms. Right now he kinda reminds me of Brandon Merriweather a dive and pop tackler that often makes splash hits but also misses tackles due to lunging and not wrapping up. CBs well they tackled like CBs wink

IC should be back and although doesn't make as many splash hits he's usually steady eddie in terms of bringing his arms to wrap.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: edromeo
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

It suggest that the errors in the run game wasn't necessarily from the front 3/4 DL.

And imo that is supported by poor tackling. Too many yards were given up after contact and too many missed tackles.

Kirksey (who has been playing better then some expected) had a bad game, there were at least a couple plays where he was out position and Davis continued to display his struggle with range, change of direction and not finishing plays. Imo Shobert is a good candidate for DD spot....but there is the leadership role Davis plays.

The secondary shared in the missed tackle party. I like Kindred, I love his aggression but I wish he would keep his head up and drive through tackles and finish with his arms. Right now he kinda reminds me of Brandon Merriweather a dive and pop tackler that often makes splash hits but also misses tackles due to lunging and not wrapping up. CBs well they tackled like CBs wink

IC should be back and although doesn't make as many splash hits he's usually steady eddie in terms of bringing his arms to wrap.

Agree with all of the above and want to add that DD struggled with trying to cover Reed in short range. It was a bad week for our ILB's.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree, but Cooper had a lousy game as well. Not sure how he earned that grade.

The other guy whose grade I question is Taylor's. They must put a ton of emphasis on interceptions, because he wasn't all that great yesterday.

Legend
Legend
Can we beat up on GS this Sunday? New Cleveland tradition. I think the Browns can take them (if the refs let them). naughtydevil

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

This team is different...this coach is different...this front office is different.

Resilience? With three different QBs and three different Cs and three different RGs in three games - now four: We had a legit shot to win 3 of 4 games. With only ONE WR who has played a half season at WR in the NFL and a 3rd Rd rookie project QB who shouldn't see the field until the end of NEXT year. What team have we fielded STR that could pull that off. We are able to run the ball with 3 Cs & RGs in 4 games...and run it well.

I cannot remember having a HC bring so much confidence to a team and to this fan. How this guy keeps us competitive with the youth and injuries is nothing short of remarkable. He gets too cute at times for my taste...but man, I expect us to compete every week and I expect young players to develop. His next man up mentality and expectations of his players is refreshing for a team devoid of that for decades.

I'm weary of the FO bashing that gets bantered about...I see that they aren't perfect and have made mistakes. HOWEVER, look at the players they found after the original 53 and the contributions from those players. It's unheard of for a Browns FO to get guys like Paea, Wright, Reiter, Calhoun, C Johnson (back), and a pro bowl kicker off the waiver wire/street/practice squad of other teams who contribute immediately.

How many 3rd downs did we convert yesterday? On 3rd and short, I now EXPECT that we will get the yards we need. When was the last time you felt that way?

I thought we'd get more stops on D this week...we didn't...but I'm starting to expect that we WILL because I've now actually seen us do it.

We've come a long way in a short period of time and still have a long way to go...but we've not been this competitive in a long time. No one is going to want to play us the last half of the season.

Moral victories don't get you to the post season. I'd prefer we put together a team that can win instead of one that can almost win. I'm pretty sure in the 2nd half of the season most teams will want to play a winless team instead of the Broncos, Patriots or Steelers.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
J/C,
Man, some of you dudes have short memories. Jackson is putting the Browns in positions to win. With a make-shift o-line,(BTW - or backup center just went down for the season) 3rd string QB, 1 threat at WR and decent running back. And BTW, there is no pass rush from the defense and a bunch of no-names in the secondary.

When this rebuild was announced and they picked all those rookies without taking many free agents, what did you all think was going to happen??? 8-8, no way. We will be a 3 maybe 4 win team. But they have fought harder than most Browns teams in the last 3 years easy.

We are going to take some lumps ( like this week) but there will be times when we give some out!! Yes, Hugh does make some strange calls but he does them to set up or surprise the Defense. Yes, the fullback has to hold onto the ball!!!!.. That is not a coaching problem, thats a player problem. Hey, I saw Elliot from Dallas fumble, so it happens.

Just hold on

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: DogNDC
J/C,
Man, some of you dudes have short memories. Jackson is putting the Browns in positions to win. With a make-shift o-line,(BTW - or backup center just went down for the season) 3rd string QB, 1 threat at WR and decent running back. And BTW, there is no pass rush from the defense and a bunch of no-names in the secondary.

When this rebuild was announced and they picked all those rookies without taking many free agents, what did you all think was going to happen??? 8-8, no way. We will be a 3 maybe 4 win team. But they have fought harder than most Browns teams in the last 3 years easy.

We are going to take some lumps ( like this week) but there will be times when we give some out!! Yes, Hugh does make some strange calls but he does them to set up or surprise the Defense. Yes, the fullback has to hold onto the ball!!!!.. That is not a coaching problem, thats a player problem. Hey, I saw Elliot from Dallas fumble, so it happens.

Just hold on

I agree 100% with every written word in this post (minus the 3-4 win season). As a realist, I am actually quite surprised at the amount of offensive production Hue is squeezing out of his team of youth, castaways and nobodies. I actually think we have solid skilled positions on the offense that will learn this system together and improve of the next couple of years. The defense has more work to do, but I think future drafts and FA signings will be focused in that area considering we went offense heavy this year.

Last edited by HewDawg; 10/03/16 09:39 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
These threads tickle me .

I find it hilarious how many people claim to know more about play calling than a guy who has been in the league for many years as a HC and an OC. Hues play calling has been excellent, its all about execution. Hues play calling had zero to do with a guy fumbling the ball, thats not part of the plan.

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: kingodawg

I find it hilarious how many people claim to know more about play calling than a guy who has been in the league for many years as a HC and an OC. Hues play calling has been excellent, its all about execution. Hues play calling had zero to do with a guy fumbling the ball, thats not part of the plan.

I know very little about play-calling...but to your point...BOTH fumbles came AFTER the play-call resulted in a rushing first down. If the guys and the fumble-ref did their jobs, we'd be giddy about how those plays resulted in first downs.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Man, some of you dudes have short memories. Jackson is putting the Browns in positions to win.

Who are you talking to? I don't see a lot of people crucifying Hue.

And maybe you have a short memory. We won 7 games two years ago. We were in a ton of games we could have won last year, that previous year, and in many other years.

I like Hue and pray that we give him 3-5 years no matter what the record is, but then again, I wanted some of our other coaches to have gotten more time, as well.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I know very little about play-calling...but to your point...BOTH fumbles came AFTER the play-call resulted in a rushing first down. If the guys and the fumble-ref did their jobs, we'd be giddy about how those plays resulted in first downs.
Yes, that is exactly my point. The play calls we sucessful, the execution wasnt.

Not necessarily relating to anything said about HJ, but I have heard people complain about play calling when we have a bunch of dropped passes. If the guy was open enough to drop the pass then the play call was successful, the execution was not.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Yes, that is exactly my point. The play calls we sucessful, the execution wasnt.

Not necessarily relating to anything said about HJ, but I have heard people complain about play calling when we have a bunch of dropped passes. If the guy was open enough to drop the pass then the play call was successful, the execution was not.

Agreed...you could say the same thing about the interception. Pryor had Norman beat (again) on that slant...Norman grabbed Pryor to slow him down but the ref eats his/her whistle. The safety comes up and Kessler doesn't lead Pryor into the safety so as to not get Pryor killed. Norman gets the pick and love from the ref.

It was a great play call...with ok/understandable execution...but the hold blew up the play and possession. Give Pryor more time and he'll get that call. Give CK more time and he'll likely hit Pryor a half second earlier - as it should have been in the first place. (Not bashing there.)

HJ love aside...I DO think he gets a little too cute at times...but that may be because we've NEVER been able to execute those cute plays. I've seen way more good from HJ play-calling than bad. For example: We actually run draws and screens that gain pretty good yardage and we run to pickup 3rd downs on third and short. That alone is new and different.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Agreed...you could say the same thing about the interception. Pryor had Norman beat (again) on that slant...Norman grabbed Pryor to slow him down but the ref eats his/her whistle. The safety comes up and Kessler doesn't lead Pryor into the safety so as to not get Pryor killed. Norman gets the pick and love from the ref.

It was a great play call...with ok/understandable execution...but the hold blew up the play and possession. Give Pryor more time and he'll get that call. Give CK more time and he'll likely hit Pryor a half second earlier - as it should have been in the first place. (Not bashing there.)

HJ love aside...I DO think he gets a little too cute at times...but that may be because we've NEVER been able to execute those cute plays. I've seen way more good from HJ play-calling than bad. For example: We actually run draws and screens that gain pretty good yardage and we run to pickup 3rd downs on third and short. That alone is new and different.
I was thinking the same thing on the INT. Veteran CB got the upper hand on a young WR. With more exp I think Pryor doesn't allow himself to get undercut.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Vers,
Yes, we won 7 games 2 years ago, then followed that up with a 3 game season. Preceding the 7 game season was a 5 and a 4 game season. But you forget , none of those teams were as young and this team.

And yes, there are people here who want to second guess the handoff the the fullback( who has a job to protect the ball near the goal line) and every other move the Browns have made. But the one thing that no can argue is that every game, the Browns seem PREPARED to play and play hard!!

Now tell me, how many times have you said that for each new coach??

Hugh just needs time and talent. The front office,and maybe Hue needs to take the top talent available instead of hording draft picks!! Especially if your picks are garbage.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think we have been prepared to play in many games. In fact, I distinctly remember reading thousands of posts that supported each coach that was in here at the beginning.

I have read comments like:

--"it really seems different this time."

--"these guys get it."

--"we are building it the right way."

--"we finally have a plan."

--"give it time."

That last for about a year and a half. Then those same dawgs turn rabid and wanna bite the ass off of those they were once licking.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I re-watched the game yesterday and the more I watch CK the more I am impressed with him.

He appears to have command of the huddle. He does not look confused or rattled. He makes good decisions with the ball - for the most part. His passes are very on-point. That TD pass to Pryor was as well-thrown as that ball could be thrown there.

There is a lot to like about the guy. There is also a long way to go. He could get better and all indications are that that is possible given his progress thus far. How much better we shall see.

I don't know what is his ceiling. I don't know whether he will physically be a long-term starter. I do know that I think he moves the ball and looks waaaay better than RG3 has since he's been here and he's looked as-good-as or better than McCown did as well (overall).

I don't see a weak arm during the games and I don't see a cannon either. I do see the accuracy though. His NOT throwing the ball downfield regularly has NOT hampered this offense one iota (yet). That long ball to Louis looked spot on with Louis inexplicably slowing down. I'll be anxious to see him throwing downfield once Coleman comes back. Right now, I don't know who - besides Louis - would run many deep outs anyway. Pryor is too busy doing so many other things that they cannot wear him out on 30+ yard sprints.

He also manages to find open players on what appears to NOT be the first read. Maybe it IS the first read, but it isn't painfully obvious as he's not staring down his target.

There is a lot to like with the guy and I'm very pleasantly surprised in his poise, awareness, and overall play.

V
Legend
Legend
V
We be seein different things, bro.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
We be seein different things, bro.

We usually do...it makes the board interesting.

Are you not seeing the accuracy or poise or what? What do you see differently than me?

V
Legend
Legend
V
His arm strength. His inability to fit balls into tight windows. His tendency to check down way too soon and not challenge the defense vertically or horizontally. Hue's cautious game planning to mask his weaknesses.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Agree about the arm strength.

Completely disagree about the tight windows. Kessler made some amazing throws, specifically to Pryor, that were great and in small space. A third down throw towards the sideline that only TP could get to and the touchdown getting it in time before Pryor would be out of bounds. I think he's done a decent job at anticipating routes to make up for avg arm strength. Another 3rd down route to Pryor may illustrate that when Pryor slipped up but I think the ball was already thrown.

Kessler has a long way to go but I don't see fitting the ball in tight spaces (at least on the short to mid routes we've seen) and accuracy to be the issue.

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
His arm strength. His inability to fit balls into tight windows. His tendency to check down way too soon and not challenge the defense vertically or horizontally. Hue's cautious game planning to mask his weaknesses.

Quoted you but also to Memphis.

I've read where CK has an average-at-best arm. But I've not actually SEEN that. Now, that doesn't mean it isn't true. It probably means that the play-calling has been set so as to not highlight it (as you stated). However, I'm yet to say "Man, if only he had a stronger arm on that throw". He seems to know what and who he is.

I'm not surprised that he checks down too early at times. He's a third round rookie who was not supposed to play yet...but he is and he's not crapping the bed. I'm guessing that's what he's been told to "consider", but he's made some nice throws in a timeframe(s) that suggests the target was not the first read.

He puts the ball in a good spot for the receiver. Lots of 3rd downs on completed passes. Yes, some where the receiver made a nice play to get the 1st...and many where the throw was spot on - at or past the marker.

He may be Captain Checkdown at times..but he's also Admiral Accurate and Badazz Back Shoulder Man too.

I'm willing to believe that the lack of challenging the D is due to a less-than-strong arm, but I'm also willing to consider who he's throwing the ball to as well...along with a revolving door along the OL that doesn't give much confidence to the time it takes for longer routes to develop - and routes by guys who have very little experience.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just a general reply

I like the fact that his accuracy allow his targets to make plays and get YAC

Being able to throw the ball 60 yards downfield is over rated. Hitting a receiver in stride 20 yards down field and him running 50 more with it is just fine with me.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Arm strength isn't really about throwing the ball far. It's about velocity.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Arm strength isn't really about throwing the ball far. It's about velocity.

"and not challenge the defense vertically"

V
Legend
Legend
V
I was trying to educate. You don't have to accept it.

But yes, challenging teams vertically is not just about throwing bombs. It's about having the ability to stretch the defense w/deep outs and 18--22 deep intermediate throws between the hashes.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

But yes, challenging teams vertically is not just about throwing bombs. It's about having the ability to stretch the defense w/deep outs and 18--22 deep intermediate throws between the hashes.

Would you agree that accuracy may be separate from velocity? Would you agree that the guys he's throwing to - and the guys blocking - have an impact on the play-calling?

Those are real football questions. I'm NOT trying to pick a fight. I just want to know what you and others think.

I think the kid has been pretty effective and has not yet shown a ceiling.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The last thing I need is educated by you.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Redskins 31 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard