V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
Why Browns coach Hue Jackson took off his headset during loss to Bengals
Eric Edholm,Shutdown Corner 13 hours ago

There is one winless team in the NFL, and their head coach isn’t willing to accept what’s going on.

The 0-7 Cleveland Browns might be getting a pass amid the afterglow of a Cavaliers NBA championship and the Indians’ appearance in the World Series this week, but that’s not how Hue Jackson sees it. He’s peeved at his team’s performance.

So much so that he took off his headset in disgust late in a 31-17 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals in which the Browns’ defense allowed 559 yards — including a Hail Mary touchdown before halftime — and 271 of those yards on the ground. Offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton took over the play-calling duties for the final 5:02 in the game after Jackson called a timeout and ripped his team.

“Yeah, I took them off,” the Browns head coach said, via Cleveland.com. “I called the team out. Yeah, I was disappointed because I don’t want anybody running the ball like that on us. We’ve got to get some things squared away, but I take responsibility for it all. It’s not our players; we’ve got to fix some things and keep working on some things and we will.”

It wasn’t all on the defense, as the Browns lost yet another quarterback with Cody Kessler going down — the Browns’ third starter to miss time this season because of injury — and a patchwork offensive line barely holding up at times.

But clearly, the defense is in rough shape and will be the toughest thing to overcome as they seek their first victory of the season. The players seemed to almost universally accept their coach’s symbolic display of anger and know it’s not a sign of Jackson quitting, but rather an attempt at motivation.

Jackson losing to his former boss, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis, might have raised the tempter a bit. After all, Jackson was pegged by many as a possible successor to Lewis in Cincinnati.

“I don’t think [Jackson] expected to be 0-7,” left tackle Joe Thomas said. “We’re battling and fighting to try to get a win right now, and that’s tough. You catch somebody after a game and there’s a lot of emotions, but I certainly expect to come back on Monday and he’s going to coach as tough as he always does. But then by Wednesday he’s going to bring that energy and that positivity that is needed every week.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/why-br...-003504722.html

Dang. Not a good look.

L
Legend
Legend
L
No. A coach who quit on his team would just stand there with eyes glazed, saying nothing. At least he tore the D a new one.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I can't defend a coach taking off his headset and refusing to call plays during a game.

Nope, not at all!

L
Legend
Legend
L
Hmmmm.... I may rethink that.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I thought it was out of character, at least based on how he's acted thus far. He seems to be loyal and hardworking, regardless of how you feel about his decisions.

All coaches get frustrated and try different ways to motivate ... not sure if this was the case here.

I don't think he should do that though IMO.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I like Hue, but I find that inexcusable. It's a poor message to the team.

How can you talk about perseverance, resolve, never giving up, never quitting, fighting hard no matter the circumstances, etc............when you quit doing your job during a game? Man!!!!

Besides, it's not the first time he threw his team under the bus. It was one of the reasons he was fired in Oakland.

Legend
Legend
It looks like that old saying of "never say die" just died.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
This would be the definition of trying to read/divine too much without actually knowing what was going on.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
How so?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I thought it was out of character, at least based on how he's acted thus far. He seems to be loyal and hardworking, regardless of how you feel about his decisions.

All coaches get frustrated and try different ways to motivate ... not sure if this was the case here.

I don't think he should do that though IMO.

"But clearly, the defense is in rough shape and will be the toughest thing to overcome as they seek their first victory of the season. The players seemed to almost universally accept their coach’s symbolic display of anger and know it’s not a sign of Jackson quitting, but rather an attempt at motivation.
"

As long as the players understand what and why he did it (and it has the desired effect), how it looks to anyone else is 100% irrelevant.

Non-story, non-issue.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There were about 30 first and second year guys uncertain about their roster spot thinking "uhoh, coach is ticked off."

A pretty smart tactic in my opinion.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't see where he quit on his team, he gave up the play calling so he could light a fire under their butts, it's not like he walked off the field or sat down on the bench all by himself.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
M
Legend
Legend
M
No, he did not. For a second, I thought Mac started this thread.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I got no problem with it ... if what is being said is true ...

We were getting emberassed AGAIN and he had enough .. he went and ripped on a NON-EXISTENT D ... I get it ..

IF he quit ... he would not have called that DUMB ASS TIMEOUT ...

I don't see it as quitting at all .. just a frustrated, pissed off coach yelling at the unit causing him the most consternation ...

For me this is a big fat NOTHING ...

O
Legend
Legend
O
He didn't quit on his team. He lost his cool with them, I don't blame him.

At the end of the day this means nothing. He will coach them up and be back next week for another loss. I seriously think we will go 0-16 at this point, but I still feel better about that than I did with Pettine. At least I'm more comfortable with the growth I've seen in players and the plan that the team has moving forward. We knew it was going to be a rough year, here we are.

As for Horton, I never really liked the hire and hope that maybe he figures it out or we part ways. But Hue and the FO I hope we keep for at least 3-5 years.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I agree with you.

I could see Parcells, or Jimmy Johnson, or number of other old school coaches, doing something similar if one unit had played such an incompetent game.

Think about it ...... We had Kevin Hogan at QB ..... after Cody Kessler was knocked out ..... playing in an offense missing its 2 best receivers.... (well, Pryor was somewhere around 50%) and jumbling an OL enough that it ended the game with only 2 players playing the same positions they started 2 weeks ago. Despite this, it was the defense,. by far, that was the unit that had the most problems. I cannot blame Hue for going ballistic. The defense absolutely sucked. The only guy who looked like he decided to show up was Ogbah. He had 2 sacks, and chased down at least a couple of plays from the opposite side of the field. Other than him, most of the rest played like someone had piped car exhaust into their meeting room. It was incredibly disappointing. The defense gave up 5 plays of 40+ yards in this game. 5! That shouldn't happen in a month's worth of games.

No, I don't blame Hue for going off like he did. I think that he was probably as demonstrative as he was on purpose, to make sure that the defense, and the defensive coaches, saw just how mad he was about the way the defense was imploding play after play. I think that his outburst was a message to players and coaches on that side of the ball alike.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
He didn't quit on his team. He lost his cool with them, I don't blame him.

At the end of the day this means nothing. He will coach them up and be back next week for another loss. I seriously think we will go 0-16 at this point, but I still feel better about that than I did with Pettine. At least I'm more comfortable with the growth I've seen in players and the plan that the team has moving forward. We knew it was going to be a rough year, here we are.

As for Horton, I never really liked the hire and hope that maybe he figures it out or we part ways. But Hue and the FO I hope we keep for at least 3-5 years.

I think the problem is that so many people thought that this was going to be a 1 season turn-around .... which was never reasonable. I, and some others, said that the coaches could do a perfect job, and we would still only win 2-4 games. That was before we went through 6 QBs. I still believe that we will be much better in the 3rd or 4th quarter of the season. However, we might be much improved and still only win 1 game the rest of the way.

It is hard to take a team, gut (almost) all of the veterans, and expect them to win. You need young players to contribute on a winning team, but you also need veteran leadership. Jimmy Johnson did a similar tear-down with the Cowboys, and his team was awful in his 1st year. Young players have to get used to playing a 16 game season, and have to understand that the NFL is not just a continuation of college.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So would that mean that head coaches who dont call the plays for their team quit on the team for the whole game??

He was still out their coaching, he just delegated a task while he worked on another task.

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Agree 100% Ytown about the expectations .... i said more than once .. U could have:

Lombardi (not mike .. *L*) as HC ...
Billicheck as DC
Walsh as OC

And this team would still be hard pressed to win 4 games ..

I thought our odds of winning zero were much greater than our odds of winning 4 .. i thought 4 was BEST CASE scenario for us ..

I don't believe we wil be a better football team in the 2nd half .. never have ... we have to many rooks that will hit the wall .. and we had no depth so we knew injuries would be a problem ...

One thing that could help ... no one seems to be talking about it but yesterday I could have sworn I saw Coleman out there ... did he play? .. if so, i'm not sure its possible for him NOT TO be an upgrade to Pastor ...

Maybe that'll help ... other than that ... i just don't see it ...

Legend
Legend
Yeah, Coleman played a little RT yesterday. Drango also started at LG.

Legend
Legend
That sounds more like a coach that was overheated and angry with the play on the field and he let them know it.

I don't know how anyone could come up with him quitting on his team...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
That sounds more like a coach that was overheated and angry with the play on the field and he let them know it.

I don't know how anyone could come up with him quitting on his team...

Someone looking for it, will stretch to find it.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Hue showed up to win, he didn't have enough ammunition. I thought the move at the end of the half was a good chess match - our defense wasn't up to the task of getting a stop.

The sad thing was I couldn't tell entirely how bad the defense was sucking - used to it.

Hue saw it and ripped into them - I think it also was a statement to the coaches - I bet Horton has been getting it good.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, let's resort to making it personal and insulting. That always works so well.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
I could see Parcells, or Jimmy Johnson, or number of other old school coaches, doing something similar if one unit had played such an incompetent game.

Do you have any links where these guys actually did that?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Yeah, let's resort to making it personal and insulting. That always works so well.

Like the "quoted for silliness" response you made towards someone on another topic? That sort of personal and insulting?

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
If Jackson just let Hamilton call plays and then stood there like a statue I would be very concerned. We were getting killed and he thought it best to do something else. I see where there could be a problem with some though.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
And there it goes.......

"The Others" are at it again.

M
Legend
Legend
M
And there it goes.......

"The Others" are at it again.

More personal and insulting? You don't disappoint with the hypocrisy, that's for certain.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I posted my thoughts on what Hue did. I did not insult any poster. You and Deputy had to turn it into something personal. It's what you guys do and then you get upset if I respond to something you started.

I am going to post my thoughts on what he did AGAIN. I'll stand by those comments:

Quote:

How can you talk about perseverance, resolve, never giving up, never quitting, fighting hard no matter the circumstances, etc............when you quit doing your job during a game? Man!!!!

Besides, it's not the first time he threw his team under the bus. It was one of the reasons he was fired in Oakland.

There is no mention of other posters in that post. I gave my thoughts on what Hue did. You and Dep had to pull your usual crap of belittling the poster rather than dealing w/the message.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I posted my thoughts on what Hue did. I did not insult any poster. You and Deputy had to turn it into something personal. It's what you guys do and then you get upset if I respond to something you started.

I am going to post my thoughts on what he did AGAIN. I'll stand by those comments:

Quote:

There is no mention of other posters in that post. I gave my thoughts on what Hue did. You and Dep had to pull your usual crap of belittling the poster rather than dealing w/the message.

Quoted for silliness.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Parcells was never "Mr. Sensitivity". He had threatened to cut players in the middle of games, and would scream bloody murder at some guys when they screwed up. Now, he never had a team that was a green as the Browns are ..... but he would rip guys in the most brutal manner imaginable. Parcells was also big on turning up the heat to the max level in order to mold players into what he wanted.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Eventually Hue may want to hand over play calling duties (probably not - but just a friendly reminder that many of his peers don't call plays)

A temporary battlefield promotion for Pep while the general does some wet work isn't totally terrible for long term growth as an organization either.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Is that the long way of saying that you can't find an example of guys like Parcells and Jimmy Johnson doing the same thing? LOL

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
That's fine. I have no problem w/opposing opinions on the subject. What bothers me is that guys like Memphis and Deputy always resort to insulting the poster rather than arguing fairly. And then they get upset if I respond.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's frustrated and that's understandable but yeah, you're being paid millions of dollar to do a job, you can't just throw your hands up.

I was thinking he did it so PEP could get some work in, during a blowout but his comments seem to contradict that.

Legend
Legend
Oh brother.

Middle of the video shows a few of the "colorful" coaching moments from Bill Parcells. Let's not forget that he also called Terry Glenn "she" in a news conference. Parcells could down right abuse his players, using anger with the best of them.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Oh brother? Is that your way of saying I am being unreasonable?

I never questioned whether or not Parcells got angry at his teams. I questioned whether or not he actually quit doing his responsibilities during a game.

Debate fairly and please do not turn my words around.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 10/24/16 02:11 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Guys were just making so many stupid decisions and it wasnt the rookie excuse. Time and time again, Demario Davis just sees a blocker and runs up to him and hugs him. I watched kirksey playing his ass off bwhile several guys on defense couldnt get their head out of their ass.

I am sure he took his headset off cause he could no longer talk to his Coordinator as much as anything else. When the outside contain just flew inside for no reason giving up that monster run, i thought Hue was gonna go punch osmeone, he was hot.

We will see some changes this week.

Legend
Legend
Kirksey doesn't get enough credit. This is his first year as the guy, and he's playing with another player that was suppose to be a good pickup in Davis.

Right now, in my opinion, kirksey is outplaying Davis. Kirksey whiffs on some tackles, but he takes risk and tries to be aggressive.

Him, ogbah, and Shelton are two guys I would absolutely keep on defense.

Everybody else can get cut/traded/whatever. I won't care.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 17 Bengals 31 Did Hue Quit on His Team?

Link Copied to Clipboard