Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
The Browns have claimed rookie quarterback Joe Callahan after he was waived by the Saints on Saturday, NFL Network reported.

The Saints had claimed Callahan from the Packers eight days earlier. With the Browns, Callahan finds himself as close to actually playing as he’s been after Browns rookie quarterback Cody Kessler suffered a concussion in Sunday’s loss at Cincinnati.

Rookie Kevin Hogan took over for Kessler. The Browns had Kessler and Hogan active for Sunday’s game, and Josh McCown has been working his way back from a broken collarbone. It’s not yet known if Kessler or McCown will be cleared ahead of Sunday’s game vs. the Jets.

An undrafted rookie out of Div. III Wesley, Callahan played against the Browns in August, starting the preseason opener for both the Browns and the Packers. He got extended time in the preseason because Packers backup Brett Hundley was battling an ankle injury, and he’s used that to make a bunch of game checks. Both the Packers and Saints waived him late in the week due to injury situations at other positions.

The Browns also claimed offensive line Gabe Ikard, per a tweet from Ikard’s agent, Ken Sarnoff. Ikard was waived last week by the Bills as they activated first-round pick Shaq Lawson and made other roster moves to address injury situations.

The addition of Ikard, who’s played in six career games, is probably related to the situation involving Browns center Cameron Erving, who had to leave Sunday’s game due to an illness. Erving suffered a bruised lung earlier in the season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/24/browns-claim-callahan-ikard/

Legend
Legend
This doesn't sound like a move that would be made if McCown or Kessler was good to go this week.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
News stories:

October 24 - Browns claim Callahan off waivers.
October 31 - Callahan finishes game after Hogan leaves with undisclosed injury
November 3 - Callahan named starter for this week
November 8 - Callahan placed on IR

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I wonder if there is any relation...

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
News stories:

October 24 - Browns claim Callahan off waivers.
October 31 - Callahan finishes game after Hogan leaves with undisclosed injury
November 3 - Callahan named starter for this week
November 8 - Callahan placed on IR

November 9 - Tebow signed

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
This is just depressing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Joe Callahan reminds me a lot of Charlie Frye.

He's like a whirling Dervish escaping the pass rush.

He's got a fairly decent arm though.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Joe Callahan reminds me a lot of Charlie Frye.

He's like a whirling Dervish escaping the pass rush.

He's got a fairly decent arm though.

So he's good for throwing one pick in the end zone every game?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
callahan, come on down

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
You know.............it's too bad that Kessler and Hogan even had to play this season. They aren't quite ready for prime time. Both are gutty, smart guys who are doing things the right way. It's just a shame they were cast into the fire so early.

I watch both of them and they make mistakes [honest mistakes] that are poor health decisions. I saw both guys turn back to the middle of the field while moving to the right. Can't do that in the NFL, guys. The defenders are big, fast, and mean. Turning back inside will get you killed.

I love their guts, but there are some things you just can't get away w/in the NFL. It takes time to learn those things. It's too bad neither of those guys were afforded that time.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
You know.............it's too bad that Kessler and Hogan even had to play this season. They aren't quite ready for prime time. Both are gutty, smart guys who are doing things the right way. It's just a shame they were cast into the fire so early.

I watch both of them and they make mistakes [honest mistakes] that are poor health decisions. I saw both guys turn back to the middle of the field while moving to the right. Can't do that in the NFL, guys. The defenders are big, fast, and mean. Turning back inside will get you killed.

I love their guts, but there are some things you just can't get away w/in the NFL. It takes time to learn those things. It's too bad neither of those guys were afforded that time.

Fix Kessler Hogan's throwing motion and he could be pretty dangerous. Both guys show enough promise to invest some time on in the offseason in my opinion.

Last edited by DeputyDawg; 10/24/16 07:22 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Fix Kessler's throwing motion and he could be pretty dangerous.

I'm assuming you meant Hogan?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Fix Kessler's throwing motion and he could be pretty dangerous.

I'm assuming you meant Hogan?

Oops, yes I meant Hogan.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think we just picked up next years third stringer. We are going to roll with Kessler , Hogan and Callahan next year. We have so many needs.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, I thought so. It is a crazy delivery.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I think we just picked up next years third stringer. We are going to roll with Kessler , Hogan and Callahan next year. We have so many needs.

Wonder if anyone will ask him for a link? Or question the sanity of it?

BTW OCD..........you ready to pay up on that bet you made when you said I wasn't as smart as I think I am? catfight

O
Legend
Legend
O
I remember the bet Vers. We have to win one game and I win right? But yes I will send you $10 dollars if I lose. $10 at 1-10 odds. It was a good bet.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 10/24/16 07:28 PM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Nah bro..............you jumped in when I challenged CHS saying the that there was no doubt the Eagles would lose more games than the Browns.

You are still mathematically alive, but that's about it. grin

O
Legend
Legend
O
You are right. PM me your addy or paypal when you win. lol

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 10/24/16 07:31 PM.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I'll sound the alarm here, and see who can prove to be objective.

Our QB's are taking a beating, and are running a lot. Who can tell me that this kid is better than Tebow? Tebow has been productive at Every level and won NFL PLAYOFF games.....he wins.

I don't get it?

I know, I am a Gator fan, and most of you hate Gator players, and me as well, but I am telling you that Tebow is WAY better than this Schmuck. He's WAY better than Hogan. Heck, he's better than Kessler.

I don't get it....end of rant. I know it won't happen. I know the replies....he can't throw, he can't do this, or he can't do that, but you can't say he can't win. Because he has his whole career, and that you can't refute.

I'll go to bed now and quit being a barb in you side.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
You are right. PM me your addy or paypal when you win. lol

I'm not going to take your money, OCD. Just messin' w/ya.

O
Legend
Legend
O
A bet is a bet.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Wonder if anyone will ask him for a link? Or question the sanity of it?

BTW OCD..........you ready to pay up on that bet you made when you said I wasn't as smart as I think I am? catfight

I missed the part where he said that the Brown's FO said that's what they were going to do. I also missed the conspiracy theory.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I respect that, but I am NOT taking your money. It's just fun messing around.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: AlwaysABrownsFan
The Browns have claimed rookie quarterback Joe Callahan after he was waived by the Saints on Saturday, NFL Network reported.

The Saints had claimed Callahan from the Packers eight days earlier. With the Browns, Callahan finds himself as close to actually playing as he’s been after Browns rookie quarterback Cody Kessler suffered a concussion in Sunday’s loss at Cincinnati.

Rookie Kevin Hogan took over for Kessler. The Browns had Kessler and Hogan active for Sunday’s game, and Josh McCown has been working his way back from a broken collarbone. It’s not yet known if Kessler or McCown will be cleared ahead of Sunday’s game vs. the Jets.

An undrafted rookie out of Div. III Wesley, Callahan played against the Browns in August, starting the preseason opener for both the Browns and the Packers. He got extended time in the preseason because Packers backup Brett Hundley was battling an ankle injury, and he’s used that to make a bunch of game checks. Both the Packers and Saints waived him late in the week due to injury situations at other positions.

The Browns also claimed offensive line Gabe Ikard, per a tweet from Ikard’s agent, Ken Sarnoff. Ikard was waived last week by the Bills as they activated first-round pick Shaq Lawson and made other roster moves to address injury situations.

The addition of Ikard, who’s played in six career games, is probably related to the situation involving Browns center Cameron Erving, who had to leave Sunday’s game due to an illness. Erving suffered a bruised lung earlier in the season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/24/browns-claim-callahan-ikard/

Joe Callahan.... way too close to Bo Callahan a la "Draft Day".

Someone check if his teammates went to his birthday party.

Legend
Legend
We are going to corner the market on 3rd string QBs. lol

Maybe we're getting ready to trade McCown. (for his own safety)

I wonder if Ikard will be starting at Center this weekend? He sounds like a guy who could get up to speed quickly. I think that the coaches want to get Greco back to his Guard position as soon as they can.

Gabe Ikard Draft Profile – NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/gabe-ikard?id=2543839

OVERVIEW
High school tight end-defensive end who won five state championships (three basketball, two football) at Oklahoma prep powerhouse Bishop McGuiness. Redshirted in 2009. Played all 14 games in 2010, starting the final 12 at left guard and logging 72 knockdowns. Started all 13 games in 2011, including seven at center, six at left guard. Started all 12 games played at center in 2012; did not play against Baylor (concussion). Missed part of 2013 spring practice with a broken finger on his right hand. Started all 13 games at center in the fall when he was awarded the Wuerffel Trophy (exemplary community service with athletic and academic achievement) and Lee Roy Selmon Spirit Award (academic excellence, community service) and was a finalist for the Campbell Trophy ("Academic Heisman") and Rimington Trophy (nation's top center).

STRENGTHS Good grip strength. Uses his hands well to control and steer defenders. Highly intelligent. Plays smart. Sets the protections and makes line calls. Tough and dependable. Experienced, four-year starter. Outstanding work habits. Exceptional character. Charismatic, humble, well-grounded leader. Versatile. Produced the best 20-yard shuttle time (4.37 seconds) and three-cone time (7.30 seconds) of any offensive lineman at the combine.

WEAKNESSES Is on the ground a lot. Limited athlete. Average play strength. Can be overwhelmed by size and struggle to cut off speed. Could stand to do a better job finishing blocks. Bench-pressed 225 pounds only 22 times at the combine.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 4-5

BOTTOM LINE A functional positional blocker who lacks the foot quickness, athletic ability and strength desired in a starter, yet consistently finds a way to get the job done and overcome his physical limitations. Intelligence and intangibles are off the charts and could allow him to capture and hold onto a starting job. The sum is better than the parts.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
ikard isnt awful iirc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
quote above from AABF's initial post:

"...Callahan finds himself close to actually playing"

Sure, why not?

Maybe when (and if) Callahan plays, he will magically transform into a great QB that everyone overlooked.

Although, I'd say the odds he'll be on the Browns' roster come Jan. 1st are remote.

Hey! Wait a minute. What did I just say?

GO Callahan!

PS. Update your health coverage.

Legend
Legend
honestly, if i were a PS guy (especially one who gets paid at a higher level) I'd think twice about signing to CLE's full roster

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Thanks YTB!

Interesting re-pickup. He's been with us before and with the Bills twice.

This looks like another "why not" pickup. Smart, good guy, successful in college, and has some SPARQ qualities.

The BOTTOM LINE in the write-up questioned his foot quickness & athletic ability...but he was #1 in his draft class at the 20 yard shuttle and 3-cone drill. Odd.

Hopefully this guy is a classic late-bloomer with NFL skills who needs/needed some time to get stronger...looking at you Mr Matthews.

Tons of collegiate experience at C...yet listed as a G.

For our QBs' sake, let's hope this kid can play.

Legend
Legend
I wouldn't be shocked to see Erving end up on IR for the year

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
honestly, if i were a PS guy (especially one who gets paid at a higher level) I'd think twice about signing to CLE's full roster

I understand why one might say that...however...if you are THAT guy, you are on the PS with nine other guys. 3-4 of those guys are likely on their last leg of PS eligibility and about to be out of options altogether. The window of opportunity is short for almost everybody in the NFL. It's even shorter for these PS guys as an influx of about 300 new guys drops in every spring.

You get a chance on a big team, you take it. Now, if the team has made you a wink-wink promise for next year and they are paying like a 53-man member, THEN you sit tight...but that's regardless of which team comes calling.

JMO

Legend
Legend
I know what you're saying, but I think it's true for every other position except QB. If I'm a QB, I'd stand pat ... I already know the offense and they probably will not release me at this juncture if they've invested months into me.

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I'll sound the alarm here, and see who can prove to be objective.

Our QB's are taking a beating, and are running a lot. Who can tell me that this kid is better than Tebow? Tebow has been productive at Every level and won NFL PLAYOFF games.....he wins.

I don't get it?

I know, I am a Gator fan, and most of you hate Gator players, and me as well, but I am telling you that Tebow is WAY better than this Schmuck. He's WAY better than Hogan. Heck, he's better than Kessler.

I don't get it....end of rant. I know it won't happen. I know the replies....he can't throw, he can't do this, or he can't do that, but you can't say he can't win. Because he has his whole career, and that you can't refute.

I'll go to bed now and quit being a barb in you side.

At this point it all boils down to whether Tebow could stand up to the pounding. Let's face it. The season is lost. We're doomed. So I say if Tebow can take a serious pounding NFL style the we gotta get that guy. Oh, and it would be nice if he could complete a pass every once in a while.

Sorry if I sound overly sarcastic or even downright pessimistic. But this season has made me this way.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Where did Mike Matthews end up? He lasted til last round of cuts at Center for us.

Legend
Legend
Sitting at home hoping a team calls him, at least as far as I can tell.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
1st String
1st String
Well it seems like unless Cody K is not playing this weekend,Joe Callahan is only there for insurance and backup.

June Summertime 2024!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CanadaDawg
Where did Mike Matthews end up? He lasted til last round of cuts at Center for us.
He clearly didn't impress much to not get a call at this point

Legend
Legend
Browns sign 3 to practice squad

Posted 2 minutes ago

Clevelandbrowns.com@Browns Facebook

Cleveland adds DB, DL and RB

The Cleveland Browns have signed DB Darius Hillary, RB Terrance Magee and DL Gabe Wright to the practice squad. To make room on the roster the team released OL Michael Liedtke and RB Terrell Watson from the practice squad.

Hillary is 5-10, 183 pounds and in his rookie season out of Wisconsin. Originally signed by Cincinnati as an undrafted free agent, he spent four weeks on the Bengals’ practice squad. He appeared in a school-record 54 games at Wisconsin, starting his final 40 at cornerback. A native of Cincinnati, he graduated from Sycamore High School. His father, Ira, played with the Bengals (1987-89) and Vikings (1990) as a wide receiver. Hillary was originally signed to the Browns’ practice squad on Oct. 18 and elevated to the active roster on Oct. 21. He was active against the Bengals in Week 7, but did not play.

Magee is 5-9, 220 pounds and officially a first-year player out of LSU where he rushed for 1,330 career yards and 12 TDs. Originally signed by the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted free agent in 2015, he has appeared in four career games. A native of Franklinton, La., Magee attended Franklinton High School.

Wright is 6-2, 284 pounds and officially in his second NFL season out of Auburn. Originally selected by Detroit in the fourth round of the 2015 draft, he has appeared in 10 career games. Wright has appeared in three games with the Browns this season, recording three tackles and a pass defensed, and spent three weeks on the club’s practice squad. A native of Columbus, Ga., Wright graduated from Carver High School.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/...0-5d50a7f99c6a

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
callahan, come on down

LOL rofl

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns claim QB Joe Callahan, OL Gabe Ikard

Link Copied to Clipboard