Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
P
Things are quickly escalating and getting out of hand in the ND pipeline protest. This has me thinking about the Oregon Refuge takeover and how relatively calm and patient the law was and they were recently found "not guilty"....now, flash forward to the ND Indian reservation and the difference in how they are being treated is shocking to say the least.

I know some of you will roll your eyes at the liberal site this comes from...but, hear me out...watch the 7min video and then make up your mind. This is not Iraq, this is not Afghanistan, it's not Syria...this is currently the US armed response on a protest in North Dakota.

Video removed due to profanity.

Last edited by Referee2; 11/23/16 09:47 AM.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
No mainstream media is covering dapl. The elites saw how bad Keystone flopped when it got press, DAPL would be much worse. I'm shocked that it wasn't mentioned in the debate.

Legend
Legend
You know what sucks? The Oregon protesters rolled in armed to the teeth with the racist ass bundy brothers.

They all got acquitted recently. No charges.

the natives are out here peacefully protesting, yet the law is arresting them left and right.

Honestly I don't even know what to say to this anymore bro.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
P
During the Bundy trial there were several folks protesting on a city block opposite the Oregon courthouse in downtown Portland (I drive past it everyday). They had driven all the way from eastern Oregon, which has virtually no population other than ranchers and had all their American flags out and signs saying "Free them". They even had many kids (for effect) holding signs and flags. On the day they were found not guilty it was like a party....I drove past and the crowd was double the size, they were drawing on the sidewalks, eating ice cream, talking, laughing, singing.

Meanwhile in ND it looks like armed troops getting ready to go into Aleppo.

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Its ridiculous. Why are they going through the reservation anyway? That's their land, essentially another country. What am I missing?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule
Its ridiculous. Why are they going through the reservation anyway? That's their land, essentially another country. What am I missing?

I heard this was 20 miles away from the reservation.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Don't care too much about the "holy land" aspect, but I am concerned about them poisoning the Missouri River and digging up Indian corpses that could have diseases on them.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I've been meaning to post about this. I've been a bit too busy, though.

Many are in solidarity with them in Anchorage.

More thoughts later...

O
Legend
Legend
O
Terrible. Bundy clan gets kid gloves treatment and let off, while native americans get pepper spray, rubber bullets, attack dogs and hit with sticks. These are not police, they are corporate henchmen. Reminds me of Pinkerton's lawmen for hire in the old west.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Scores of officers dressed in riot gear walked in a wide line, sweeping protesters out of the area as face-to-face yelling matches broke out. Several vehicles, including at least one truck, were set ablaze. A standoff unfolded beside a bridge known as the Backwater Bridge, where protesters set fire to wooden boards and signs and held off the line of officers over many hours.

By Friday evening, officers said they had arrested at least 142 protesters on charges including engaging in a riot and conspiracy to endanger by fire and explosion. Protesters gathered near the bridge were refusing to leave, the authorities said.

Each side complained vehemently about violent tactics by the other. Officers said that protesters had attacked them with firebombs, logs, feces and debris. They acknowledged using pepper spray and beanbag rounds against the protesters, as well as a high-pitched sound device meant to disperse crowds.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/29/us/dakota-access-pipeline-protest.html

Legend
Legend
Not all the Standing Rock Sioux are protesting the pipeline

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/29/us/dakota-pipeline-standing-rock-sioux/index.html

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Terrible. Bundy clan gets kid gloves treatment and let off

Robert 'LaVoy' Finicum was killed by federal agents

Legend
Legend

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

North Dakota pipeline protester charged with attempted murder

By Timothy Mclaughlin,Reuters 3 hours ago

By Timothy Mclaughlin

(Reuters) - A demonstrator protesting last week at the construction site of an oil pipeline in North Dakota was charged on Monday with the attempted murder of a law enforcement officer, according to court documents.

Red Fawn Fallis, 37, was confronted by two officers on the evening of Oct. 27, according to an affidavit, when she was taking part in a demonstration against the $3.8 billion Dakota Access pipeline project.

The affidavit said law enforcement was working to clear protesters from a camp on private property and attempted to arrest Fallis for being "an instigator and acting disorderly," when a struggle occurred with the officers.

It added that during the struggle, Fallis fired at a police officer three times with a handgun, without hitting him.

After being subdued and arrested, a small amount of marijuana was found in Fallis' possession, according to court documents. She is facing additional charges including engaging in a riot, possession of marijuana and preventing arrest

Legend
Legend
I was reading where you are hard pressed to find any Native Americans in the protest. Most are crazy Liberal environmentalists from all over the planet.

Many of the Natives wish they would go home.

Legend
Legend
I don't want to sound insensitive, but the Native American aspect is not what I'm concerned about. This pipeline is going to make a lot of areas completely toxic.

Legend
Legend
Like I said.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Go around!

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'm not sure how many of you can actually relate to this. Any of you ever spend time living on a reservation, or truly dive into the history on Native Americans?

----------------------

I could detail my own experiences of living with Alaskan Natives, but I'm sure my tales will get met with the same ignorance that Clem, Lurker, and Swish receive on race issues. Maybe they won't? I'll watch this thread, but I'm not getting good vibes from sharing my own experience from living among a heavily oppressed culture.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
speaking as an Alaskan Native (Tlingit/Haida). we have the Alaskan Pipeline. if it is environmentally safe and generates revenue for the state. it's all good to me. if it displaces residents then they should be compensated accordingly.
I don't know the full story, but if it benefits the greater good. then I see no problems...should be put to vote though.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Okay, fine. I'll spill.

Here's a bit of preface:

None of my teaching experience involves working on Native American reservations. One of my colleagues has, and he says many issues we face here in the village are comparable to reservations. I argue many issues we encounter in the village are comparable to what I saw student teaching in the inner-city of Toledo; everything gets entrenched in poverty. 99% of the challenges we face in the school come as a direct result of poverty issues, and the other 1% comes from mismanagement of the education at a governmental level. I'm sure Vers, CJRae, Muni, and our other educators can attest to this.

Anyhow, onto my own anecdotal tales...
----------------------------------------------

Four years and going I am into this bush Alaska life. Bush Alaska means no roads to the outside world. Think of remote, and to the point where the only transportation outside of the area involves propeller planes; 207s, 208s, and such aircraft get Alaskan Natives, and others to bigger places. Want to know the cost of said transportation? You're looking at 400 dollars round trip just to travel 100 miles on way, and another 100 miles the other way. The "Alaskan Bush People" exist as a total farce; no means is that bush.

The terrain can vary from mountainous, swampy tundra, beautiful seas, face burning winds, and similar conditions; just look in the Photo Threads for pictures of where I am.

Many of the Alaskan Native groups, there's a total of twelve, faced oppression from outsiders. Russians made first contact, had a rough go at first, but managed okay relations. Americans came in, primarily missionaries, and started a cultural genocide. Many Alaskan Native groups were shunned by these missionaries, told they were pagans, forcibly had their culture beat from them, and many groups lost their culture in the process. The outsiders also brought in outside disease, and many individuals got wiped out from TB and other such conditions. Massive issues remained due to the cultural genocide, and the overall pain from the loss of life; Alaskan Natives then turned to alcohol and other vices to dull their pain.

Awhile after missionaries recognized the ills of their way, and tried to stop the cultural bleeding. Some succeeded, but others were too late. They adjusted their tactics to the new groups they encountered. Some groups kept their language, their culture, and combined their belief systems in traditional Roman Catholicism. Healing happened, but problem still remained.

The missionaries started schools, and ended up yanking children away from their nomadic life. This caused more distraught, and tons of pain for all involved. Education exists as a necessity, but at what cost? The system slowly got better, static villages got introduced, and the BIA slowly calmed down. The BIA established schools that looked to westernize the students, and looked to literally beat out any language or culture brought into the classroom. This attitude went away, but it left much damage.

To this day, much mistrust exists towards local school systems. Honestly, I can't blame them. I feel like many districts out here in the bush could do sooo much more for community involvement. We need to work more hand in hand with the local community.
----------------------------------------

The people I live among exist as some of THE MOST welcoming individuals I have ever encountered. My first day in the village involved dried Halibut, agutuk (eskimo ice cream is what some call it out here...look it up), tea, and friendly conversation for hours with individuals I barely knew. It's lead to wonderful friendships, and a gift of a name of a revered individual who advocated for his culture; the individual ended up as a friend of mine, and he told me (through a bit of broken English) how much he appreciated me coming to this village. The people, even in their moments of frustration, keep me here.

They're socially aware, and they recognize the state government treats them in an unfavorable manner. The population of Alaska sits just above 700,000, and over a third live in Anchorage. Two states of Texas could fit in our state, and the rest of the people get scattered among the road system and the bush. Our largest minority are the Alaskan Native groups, but barely any policy gets passed with these groups in mind.
--------------------------------------------

Alaskan Native groups stand in solidarity with the Lakota, and I understand why.

Go ahead and wave away my post. I know who you are who roll your eyes at my story. Too bad if this "bleeding heart liberal" gets under your skin. I exist to tell a story, and to try to make the world a better place one day at a time.

I encourage everyone of you to somehow get involved in the matters of Alaskan Natives, and Native Americans. Your eyes will get opened to culture no one ever talks about. These cultures deserve sooo much more than what they are given.

I've said it once here before, and I'll say it again. Jules can disagree with me, but the real Alaska truly exists in these bush Alaska villages.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I was born and raised in Alaska...old school...the bush. no electricity, no running water. lived in Shishmeref, McGrath, Grayling, Nenana to name a few. most bush villages you have to boat in or fly a cessna 175 in.
I grew up learning how to trap and hunt. got my first rifle when I was in the 3rd grade, another in the 5th. fishing was also vital depending on what part of the state you are in.
We used Coleman oil lamps for light. had to go to the lake(in the winter) to cut chunks of ice and bring them home for drinking water. had to boil it first, strain the lil water bugs out before we could drink. Some of my friends look at me like I'm crazy when I talk about it. but to me it was normal. I didn't speak any english at all until I was four.
small background info.
As for the mistreatment of the natives? yup they beat my grandfather when he was in school every time he spoke his language. killed all of our shamans..state wide to take away the religion of the people. they quite literally beat our culture out of us. But in the bush they still live like the old ways...as much as we could. There is a butt ton of mistrust between the Alaska natives and the government...for most American natives I would imagine.

After thought: in the bush nobody locked their doors at night. lol if you went to go visit a buddy, you just opened the door and walked in. I miss that.

as for the pipeline in North Dakota? lots of factors involved, I'll have to do some research on it. but my previous post still stands for me.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
just came to me. lol in Grayling we lived in a two story 3 bedroom cabin(all rooms were upstairs) and the high school was downstairs, grades 9-12 all in one room.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
The funniest thing to me was how I got looked at funny because I knocked on doors.

Quyana for sharing your story.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
anytime I have lots lol

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
The funniest thing to me was how I got looked at funny because I knocked on doors.

Quyana for sharing your story.

haha yup my friends would come over and open the front door and look at my mother and say "hi mom, where's Kichkow?".

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
speaking as an Alaskan Native (Tlingit/Haida). we have the Alaskan Pipeline. if it is environmentally safe and generates revenue for the state. it's all good to me. if it displaces residents then they should be compensated accordingly.
I don't know the full story, but if it benefits the greater good. then I see no problems...should be put to vote though.

I imagine the government did a thorough job actually inspecting the areas in which the pipeline was built correct? The DOJ and DOI ruled awhile back that they did NOT inspect areas that would be affected. So with all due respect, this situation and yours are not even close. It's a false equivalency. Your area wasn't at risk of having a river becoming toxic or a Native corpse floating in areas you use.

I've said before, I don't care about the Native aspect. I care about poisoning thousands of people who use the areas which will be affected.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
treating people like this is how terrorist groups get formed. When somebody dies and people retaliate by bombing that pipeline don't be shocked.

Protecting your water supply is one of the most important things a rural community HAS to do.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
O
Legend
Legend
O
WTH? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
The only thing that will stop these corporations from destroying our country are volunteer assassins that don't have family that can be held hostage. Lord knows these corporations keep a large retinue of their own assassins on hand.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
Army Corp of Engineers and the DOI told these people to not drill within 20 miles of the Missouri River. They're more close to just 20 damn feet away from the river. I hate to keep repeating myself, but I'm more concerned with poisoning the people potentially effected by this.

Legend
Legend
Protestors were put into dog kennels and marked with numbers. I'm confused, is this America or Auschwitz?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: candyman92
Army Corp of Engineers and the DOI told these people to not drill within 20 miles of the Missouri River. They're more close to just 20 damn feet away from the river. I hate to keep repeating myself, but I'm more concerned with poisoning the people potentially effected by this.
Who cares? Drill baby drill.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: candyman92
Protestors were put into dog kennels and marked with numbers. I'm confused, is this America or Auschwitz?

I want to read this. Where do I go?

Legend
Legend

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
Oh, I found some pic's.

Not as bad as candy made it sound - or, not as bad as I took it from his post.

http://heavy.com/news/2016/10/dakota-acc...-standing-rock/

http://heavy.com/news/2016/10/dakota-acc...-standing-rock/

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Obama is suppose to pass DAPL on Monday. Where is this liberal president Democrats have kept promising?

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I hope Neoliberalism died with Hillary.

Legend
Legend
I hope spillage happens in the Missouri River. Sometimes it just takes catastrophic and bad things to happen before anybody does anything or pays attention. I hope they drill right under the lakes and Missouri River (federal law prevents them from doing so, but they won't enforce it because of $$$$$).

I'm not against building a pipeline, but I'm against cutting corners which will harm people in order to save a few bucks.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
don't be surprised when bullets fly to protect their drinking water.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... North Dakota Pipeline Protest

Link Copied to Clipboard