Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,189
D
ddubia Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,189
Rob Chudzinski runs the distance to Browns

New offensive coordinator ready to tackle unit's problems with fresh energy

By Patrick McManamon
Beacon Journal sportswriter

BEREA - Rob Chudzinski couldn't play, so he ran.

He turned away from the video camera he had been assigned to operate, and he ran. Back and forth, across the gravel-covered roof of the building that overlooked the University of Miami practice field.

He ran sprints and distances, and then he ran some more.

And down below, where the team practiced, nobody knew that the kid who had lugged the video equipment up a ladder with his left hand wrapped and bandaged was running.

Chudzinski had been relegated to camerawork because the too-slow, too-this, too-that kid from Toledo had mangled his left wrist and hand putting it through a plate-glass window during a summer basketball game. It was a bloody mess that left Chudzinski with severed tendons and nerves and no feeling in the fingers of his left hand.

But he was on scholarship, the UM folks figured, so while he healed, he'd film practice.

Then they'd see if he'd play again.

That wasn't good enough for Chudzinski, who was given one of the last scholarships at Miami in 1986.

``I love when people say I can't do something,'' said Chudzinski, the Browns' new offensive coordinator, during a recent interview at the team's practice facility. ``I love when people say that because it motivates me and drives me to prove them wrong.''

So he ran.

And before the year ended, he wound up playing in a national championship game win over Oklahoma. Before his career ended with the Hurricanes, Chudzinski had won two national titles for two coaches and been an integral element of a Hurricanes offense that featured many NFL players.

On a team of personalities and characters, Chudzinski was the undersized but dependable tight end who gained as much respect as his more famous teammates (such as Michael Irvin and Bennie Blades).

``I was kind of the classic overachiever guy,'' he said. ``Undersized. Underspeeded, if that's a word. Under-athletic. All those kind of things.''

To this day, he does not have feeling in the fingers of his left hand. Yet that did not stop him.

``I think it's just one of those things that you figure out a way,'' he said.

Call that his mantra, for Chudzinski seems to figure it out every time he's told the way is impossible.

Chudzinski has spent almost every day since January trying to figure out a way to get a new offense installed with the Browns. He has the responsibility of pulling together an offense that has been downright offensive the past few years. The Browns' offense has not finished better than 26th in the league in the past four years, has no set quarterback and is going through yet another rebirth.

Focused, hands-on style

Much is made, and rightly so, of the Browns' three first-day draft picks, but the team's fortunes this season could rest as much on the hiring of Chudzinski.

``He's the best coach I know,'' said Browns tight end Kellen Winslow, who learned under Chudzinski at Miami. ``My father taught me the game, but (Chudzinski) took me under his wing and taught me everything I needed to know.''

How does Chudzinski attack the challenge with the Browns? The same way he attacked things at Miami -- by running. And running. And running some more.

``I've been back to San Diego for one day to pack up my office,'' he said of his former home. ``Otherwise I've been in the office nearly all day, every day.''

The story goes that Bear Bryant once saw the light on in his defensive coordinator's office late at night, and Bryant told a reporter: ``There he is again, making me look like a genius.''

``He's always here,'' Browns backup quarterback Ken Dorsey said. ``No matter when you come to the facility, he's up there working.''

Late nights in the office are merely a start, though. If hours worked guaranteed wins, every NFL coach would be undefeated. Chudzinski tries to take the attitude that worked in Miami to the practice field.

In the team's rookie minicamp, Mike Mason, an undrafted player from Tennessee State, ran the wrong route on one of the first 11-on-11 plays.

``Get Mason out,'' Chudzinski yelled as the offense re-huddled.

Another player took his place, but a few plays later, Mason was lined up wide. He ran down the field, and quarterback Brady Quinn threw short, clearly expecting Mason to break off the route.

Mason slapped himself in the head after the play, and receivers coach Wes Chandler let Mason know he had made a mistake.

Chudzinski yelled to Chandler to take Mason out.

The rookie wound up watching most of the rest of practice, standing alone.

The tough-love scene is not untypical in the NFL, but it was a glimpse into the approach of the new offensive coordinator, who was as demanding of an undrafted player in a rookie minicamp as he is the team's starter in a full-squad practice.

``That's the first thing that can kill you, if a guy is not doing what he's supposed to do,'' Chudzinski said.

Chudzinski probably would hate that Mason is being mentioned -- and Mason remains on the roster -- but the coach clearly holds players accountable and wants precision in every play of every practice.

``That's all you need,'' he said. ``Eleven guys going out executing, doing their job. If you have 11 guys doing it, you'll be fine.''

Former Browns offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon was a silent type who stood far back from players. He was hardly heard at practices, and players complained that when he was heard, it was negative.

Chudzinski seems to be everywhere.

``Don't quit on that route,'' he yelled to Kendrick Mosley during a receivers drill.

``Come out of it,'' he yelled to another receiver running an out.

``That's it -- now get back into it,'' he said after the receiver caught the ball and turned up the field.

When a running back stopped about 15 yards downfield and started to turn back to the huddle, Chudzinski sprinted down the field, pointed to his left and yelled: ``The end zone is that way.''

When the veterans reported, part of one practice included Chudzinski telling receivers where to line up on plays.

``That's three yards,'' he would say, pointing to the spot three yards outside the tackle. Not 3

``He came in the first day and started talking about precision,'' receiver Joe Jurevicius said. ``He's always talking about splits, he's always talking about depth.''

Precision. Accountability. Attention.

All seem to be his focus, and it almost seems as if it's his focus because that's how he had to approach things when he played.

Chudzinski grew up in or near Toledo, moving several times in the area. His family followed the Browns, and he jokes that a photo of him much like Quinn's exists, wearing a Browns jersey around the age of 4.

``Classic '70s, though,'' Chudzinski said. ``I had on the bell-bottoms with the stripes.''

He played basketball and football, and ran track.

As he described his track career, he laughed. ``I was kind of the guy in the meet that if they needed somebody to do something, I'd go, but I wasn't winning anything,'' he said.

The only schools that recruited Chudzinski out of St. John's Jesuit High School were Mid-American Conference schools, until at the last minute Miami called. It was January, so he figured what the heck, he'd make the flight south, never expecting a scholarship.

But at the end of the visit, Jimmy Johnson called him in and offered him one.

``My jaw about hit the ground,'' he said. Baffled, he asked if he could go home first. Johnson agreed, and Chudzinski called soon after arriving home to take it.

Chudzinski redshirted his first year, then went back home in the summer. During a pickup basketball game with friends, he went for a loose ball, and his left hand found the plate-glass window.

Arteries were partially severed, the tendons that go to his middle finger were cut and the nerve that controls the sensation in his hand was severed.

``It was pretty significant,'' he deadpanned.

Many thought his career was over. UM coaches sent him up on the roof to videotape practice. He used the occasion to stay in shape, and by the opener of the next season, he was starting and catching a 19-yard touchdown pass in a 31-0 drubbing of rival Florida State, then ranked No. 1.

Those were wild days in football in Florida.

The season started with the Seminoles celebrating their No. 1 ranking with a video dubbed the ``Seminole Rap.'' The Hurricanes, though, were the team with the reputation for dancing and celebrating.

It also was a team with amazing talent -- and an attitude in practice that would make some teams flinch. Miami practices were more physical than games, with players celebrating big hits and taunting teammates after plays. The games were merely an extension of practice.

How did a slow, undersized tight end succeed?

``The bottom line was that if you weren't tough, if you weren't competitive, you were not going to survive,'' Chudzinski said. ``If you were weak, not mentally tough, you weren't going to make it.

``That's another thing that helped me evolve.''

Career path

Chudzinski knew he had few professional prospects -- ``I didn't get drafted, and there were 12 rounds in the draft then,'' he said -- so he stayed at Miami and worked on his MBA. Soon after, he started to work for a business consulting company, where he was until he ran into Hurricanes coach Dennis Erickson.

``He asked out of the blue when I was going to come coach for him,'' Chudzinski said.

``I remember that,'' said Erickson, now the coach at Arizona State. ``When he played, he was always a smart player, an overachiever. He approached things the right way. Some guys, you can just tell. Some will be good coaches, some won't.

``He was one I always thought would work out because he had the approach and the demeanor.''

Chudzinski stayed one year as a graduate assistant while working toward his master's, then was promoted to tight ends coach when Butch Davis became coach.

When Davis came to the Browns, his successor, Larry Coker, made Chudzinski offensive coordinator. While Chudzinski was coaching, Miami made the cover of Sports Illustrated when the magazine suggested the football program be abolished. ``That was the low point,'' Chudzinski said.

He remembered hearing that folks said the team could never get back to where it was.

``That for me was a motivation -- to be part of helping the program get back to where it was,'' he said. ``We did that.''

In his three years as coordinator, the Hurricanes won one national title, played for another and won 11 games the third year. In 2002, Miami's offense set school records for points (527), total yards (6,074) and rushing touchdowns (33) and averaged 40.5 points per game.

Davis brought him to the Browns to coach tight ends and to work with Winslow, but that lasted one year. When Davis ``resigned,'' Chudzinski went to the San Diego Chargers for two years.

Browns General Manager Phil Savage then tabbed him in this offseason to take over the team's offense.

Chudzinski brought a whole new playbook and a whole new play-calling system. It's based on many facets of his experience, but its terminology goes back to the days of Air Coryell, on which Norv Turner based his offense with the Dallas Cowboys in the '90s -- an offense that Chudzinski worked with at Miami.

He sees no shortcuts and has no magic elixir that will transform things. His play calling is logical but won't revolutionize football. He said there are no ``magic plays,'' but there is something to ``timing and execution.''

``The key to offensive football is knowing what your people can do and putting them in the best positions to win,'' he said. ``Utilizing their skills. And execution. Stressing execution. You can run the simplest plays, you can run the most complicated plays. But you have to execute.''

So a split has to be precise, and a route has to be correct, even if it's run by an undrafted free agent at one of the first practices of a rookie minicamp.

Chudzinski does not shy from the reality of his situation. He knows Browns coach Romeo Crennel might be on the hot seat this season, and he knows that if Crennel goes and a new coach comes in, he might go as well.

But he said that reality goes with the territory. And he need only point to his former team, where Marty Schottenheimer was let go after the Chargers went 14-2 last season.

The pull of home, the pull of the Browns meant too much to Chudzinski not to return.

``This place is close to my heart,'' he said.

Ask him who influences his thinking, and Chudzinski names almost every coach he has worked for, but he made a point to remember Fred Beier, his high school coach at St. John's.

``He instilled a lot of things in me that I'm trying to instill now as far as work ethic, toughness, determination and teamwork,'' Chudzinski said.

He then goes through Johnson, Gary Stevens (his offensive coordinator at Miami and a Cleveland native), Erickson (whom he credits for changing football with the one-back, spread-offense system), Davis, Turner and Coryell.

Then he mentioned one other person.

Someone not in football, named Barbara Vogel. She's Chudzinski's aunt and was a big part of his life when he grew up.

``You ask why I'd come back to this situation and all, and she always said something to me that will always be a part of me,'' he said. ``And that's to remember where you came from.''

Chudzinski the man came from Ohio, and he wanted to return.

And Chudzinski the player and coach came from the roof, where he started running when folks told him he couldn't make it at Miami with a bad hand.

Now he's come to the NFL, to a team that has struggled and an offense that has had almost no success.

And he's still running.


Link


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,560
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,560
Quote:

Chudzinski brought a whole new playbook and a whole new play-calling system. It's based on many facets of his experience, but its terminology goes back to the days ofAir Coryell , on which Norv Turner based his offense with the Dallas Cowboys in the '90s -- an offense that Chudzinski worked with at Miami.




Some of the old foggies around here may remember that O which just happened to make KW senior a hall of famer.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
A
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
good read

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,719
B
Legend
Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,719
Might explain why Mason went out and got hammered at a bar last week.


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,950
C
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,950
Quote:

Might explain why Mason went out and got hammered at a bar last week.





My exact thoughts when I read that....good read.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,583
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,583
anyone catch this? Do you think Lewis would do well in a one back system?

He then goes through Johnson, Gary Stevens (his offensive coordinator at Miami and a Cleveland native), Erickson (whom he credits for changing football with the one-back, spread-offense system), Davis, Turner and Coryell.


Meh.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,618
V
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
V
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,618
Thanks for the article. The personal stuff was nice, but I really enjoyed the parts that were actually about football.


Quote:

Chudzinski seems to be everywhere.

``Don't quit on that route,'' he yelled to Kendrick Mosley during a receivers drill.

``Come out of it,'' he yelled to another receiver running an out.

``That's it -- now get back into it,'' he said after the receiver caught the ball and turned up the field.

When a running back stopped about 15 yards downfield and started to turn back to the huddle, Chudzinski sprinted down the field, pointed to his left and yelled: ``The end zone is that way.''



I am a firm believer in that if you take care of all the little things----emphasizing doing them perfectly-----that the big things will take care of themselves.

I can't stand coaches who do not pay attention to detail or who don't have a lot of energy. It sounds as if Chud is the type to pay attention to detail and that he has a ton of energy. Both of those things "rub off" on your players.

I really like what I read about Chud. I wish Pat would have gave us more of that and less of the heart-grabbing stuff.


"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,853
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,853
Quote:

Quote:

Chudzinski brought a whole new playbook and a whole new play-calling system. It's based on many facets of his experience, but its terminology goes back to the days ofAir Coryell , on which Norv Turner based his offense with the Dallas Cowboys in the '90s -- an offense that Chudzinski worked with at Miami.




Some of the old foggies around here may remember that O which just happened to make KW senior a hall of famer.




Cowboys of the 90's... hmm.. if the Browns can play just a little like them they would go 8-8 easily...


[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 880
F
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 880
Good read, thanks ddubia!


And the next head coach is ......
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Quote:

Might explain why Mason went out and got hammered at a bar last week.





Might be... but he's not the kinda guy we want on this team.. hits some adversity and goes out and gets drunk instead of hitting the playbook and learning what he should do... Not my kinda player at all..


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Quote:

The tough-love scene is not untypical in the NFL, but it was a glimpse into the approach of the new offensive coordinator, who was as demanding of an undrafted player in a rookie minicamp as he is the team's starter in a full-squad practice.






Treat everyone the same,,, no favorites and no favors.. Looks like a rookie that shows he's willing, able and hardworking has a real chance with him.. I kinda like that.

Of course, this article was written to showcase Chuds virtues.. I'm cool with that because, at this time of year, there really isn't much else to talk about regarding football.

But no matter how we look at it, he'll be judged by what the players do on the field. I think it's pretty clear he knows that from the way he was treating Mason,,, Get it right or find the door Again, I kinda like that also.

I did NOT like the way the article described Carthons actions.... Man, everything I'm reading now about Carthon makes me wonder how we kept him.. And before some of you say it, yeah, I know, I was NOT in favor of getting rid of him.. I was wrong.


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,719
B
Legend
Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,719
Quote:

Might be... but he's not the kinda guy we want on this team..




Didn't say he was.....just making a comment.

That guy probably wasn't going to make the team no matter if he got hammered or went to the childrens hospital and read stories to the sick kids.


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Quote:

"The end zone is that way.''



Teach them the fundamentals early... I like it.


yebat' Putin
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,560
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,560
To be fair the endzone isnt something familiar to the Browns players, they have read about it but few have ever seen it lol.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,719
B
Legend
Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,719
I wonder if MapQuest would help??


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Quote:

Didn't say he was.....just making a comment.





And I didn't say you did,, Relax,, I mean you no harm Peen


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,524
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,524
You and Peen are being very Bad !

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Quote:

Teach them the fundamentals early... I like it.






Yup,, that's the ticket

I really think we are gonna see some TERRIBLE offensive football out of this team for the first 5 or 6 weeks.. and if it's Brady that starts, he'll get blamed... if it's Frye, he'll get blamed. Doesn't matter if they do everything right or not,, they'll get blamed,,

I hope the fans can hold it together and give this team the time it needs to develop properly.


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 629
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 629
Quote:

I hope the fans can hold it together and give this team the time it needs to develop properly.




That won't happen.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope the fans can hold it together and give this team the time it needs to develop properly.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



That won't happen.


Contact Us dawgtalkers.net







I hope you are wrong, but I bet you are not!


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 582
D
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
D
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 582
As a fan, i don't expect them to be perfect, just do something other than run a delay up the middle every other play when it's 2nd and 9 or 3rd and nine.

If they are a hair off and lose games, that's ok. But i dont expect them to lose 35-0 to the steelers. That would be not good.

i expect more games like the ravens game they they almost won last year. If that happens, i won't mind waiting one more year.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,491
H
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
H
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,491
I'd rather see a touchdown or 10 pt. loss.... After the first Ravens' game last year, people here were ready to kill Charlie Frye.... Any mistake is so magnified by a close loss to a Division rival, that most would start screaming for Quinn by halftime of the Pittsburgh game.... No blow out losses, but nothing too close either.... If we don't win, let the loss be by 7 - 10 points.... We want progress, not another Rookie OJT (On the Job Training) session....


The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,896
D
Legend
Offline
Legend
D
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,896
Quote:

I wonder if MapQuest would help??




No way, man...MapQuest would get them to about the five yard line and then run them straight out of bounds.

Come to think of it...I wonder if that's what they're using right now....


Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,667
P
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,667
j/c

Quote:

``The key to offensive football is knowing what your people can do and putting them in the best positions to win,'' he said. ``Utilizing their skills. And execution. Stressing execution. You can run the simplest plays, you can run the most complicated plays. But you have to execute.''


I am suprised no one brought this out.....To me this was one of the most important parts. I keep hearing about how this offense has more roll outs installed....and somehow that is used to downgrade Anderson. Well the thing is this...There ARE more rollouts installed....BUT ONLY WHEN Charlie Frye is behind the Center. I like that Chudzinski has a solid base system that he can tailor to the personnel in the game.

The other thing I like is that he is VERY demanding, but gives praise as well. Mo tried to be his version of Parcells and failed miserably. For me a coach doesn't have to show a ton of emotion. i don't mind it if he does, I don't mind it if he doesn't. That isn't the mark of a coach. The mark of a Coach is what do the players do when and after you talk. If the players respect you to all end, and listen intently when you convey your message, and then if after you talk, they are able to proccess that message and give you the results you wanted.....THAT is one of the measures of a good coach. If a coach can utilize his players skills and negate some of his deficiencies, he puts him in the best situation to win. If he does that, he will gain that respect and will show another measure of a good coach.

It will be interesting to watch Chud from this point out in his career.


I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 307
T
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
T
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 307
Quote:

anyone catch this? Do you think Lewis would do well in a one back system?




Yes, I do. Lewis is a smart vet back there, and he knows when things open to hit the holes, or pick up blocks.. With the new o-line, which I think is going to light years ahead of last year, things will be looked at differantly.. With a one-back sysytem running, you have the option to hand-off, or pass, with-out it being over annalized by the defense.. I think it is going to work out perfectly with the weapons we have.. I feel good about everything..

Man, Chud made Mason so-upset he went off the end this weekend.


[Linked Image from i37.photobucket.com]
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,489
T
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,489
Quote:

Chudzinski seems to be everywhere.

``Don't quit on that route,'' he yelled to Kendrick Mosley during a receivers drill.

``Come out of it,'' he yelled to another receiver running an out.

``That's it -- now get back into it,'' he said after the receiver caught the ball and turned up the field.

When a running back stopped about 15 yards downfield and started to turn back to the huddle, Chudzinski sprinted down the field, pointed to his left and said, the endzone's that way!"

I really like to hear that kind of instruction out of our coaching staff. It all starts with the trainsing and ethics, from there all you do is go up.


Also, hearing this reminds me of what Jerry Rice used to do every practice. Everytime he caught a ball, (even if it was a five yard out)he would run 90 yards to the endzone.

That is really good stuff right there, I love what I'm hearing so far.


Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 765
T
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
T
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 765
Seems to me we have coaches on both sides of the ball that bring the attitude necessary to make the change happen on this team. The more positive things I hear about Grantham and Chudd makes me wonder exactly what RAC is bringing to the table.

As much as I like and respect RAC, he hasnt shown me a damn thing in 2 seasons. Not a thing.
Not one great mid game adjustment.
Not one instance of effective clock management
Not one good challenge.


The sad part is that there are million examples bad examples of the things i just mentioned to point at.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,189
D
ddubia Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,189
Not even ONE good thing, but MILLIONS of bad ones?


Not many things in this world are that lopsided.


#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,896
D
Legend
Offline
Legend
D
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,896
I do have to throw him a bone and say that he maintains the respect and attention of his players...well...at least all of them saved for one temper-tantrum plagued individual.


Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,472
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,472
Quote:

Precision. Accountability. Attention.





Really seems as thou he is going to establish a sound foundation for these guys....

Never heard the players mention this kind of talk from Mo.........

Bring in a tough ....but respectable mentality...

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,718
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,718
Quote:

As much as I like and respect RAC, he hasnt shown me a damn thing in 2 seasons. Not a thing.
Not one great mid game adjustment.




You were in the locker room to see the chalkboard talk and hear the adjustments????

How do you know the adjustments weren't made but the players didn't execute them????

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,151
M
mac Offline
Legend
Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,151
Quote:

Seems to me we have coaches on both sides of the ball that bring the attitude necessary to make the change happen on this team. The more positive things I hear about Grantham and Chudd makes me wonder exactly what RAC is bringing to the table.

As much as I like and respect RAC, he hasnt shown me a damn thing in 2 seasons. Not a thing.






assas...Rack is not an offensive guru, that we now know. When the Browns hired RAC, they knew what his strong suite was, DEFENSE, right?

I wonder how many fans thought RAC knew the offensive side of the game as well as he knew the defensive side of the game?....You assassin?

When the Browns hired Crennel, it was after the Patriots Super Bowl victory and there were not many OC candidates available. Crennel relied on his knowledge and experience to come up with Carthon, an old friend.

So out of the gate, Crennel had issues to deal with...his knowledge and experience of NFL offenses...and the availability of candidates for the job.

IMO, I believe Crennel may have relied a little too much on "friendship" when he hired Carthon for the job and when he made the decision to keep Carthon after the 2005 season.

The lesson learned by this two year mistake...Crennel is not an offensive minded coach, yet!

This time around, the Browns hiring process was much better. Better and more OC candidates to consider and more of the Browns management involved with evaluating the candidates.

Result-Chud

Now Crennel has coordinators on both sides of the ball who appear to be very good, thus taking a lot of pressure off of Crennel.

The one quality that Crennel clearly showed over the last two seasons, that some may be overlooking..the players "never quit" on Crennel. Even with the coaching mess on offense, the Browns players "did not quit" on Crennel.

Crennel still has the respect of the players and he clearly provides "leadership" to this young team. It's obvious that free agents want to help Crennel turn the Browns into a Championship team as we had another good year signing free agents.

Assassin...I believe you overlooked one very important quality that Crennel has brought to the Browns..."leadership" during some tough times.

Down the road, who knows what might transpire...but for now, I like this team a lot.

No guarantees...be patient Browns fans....mac











GM strong...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,336
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,336
Quote:

Assassin...I believe you overlooked one very important quality that Crennel has brought to the Browns..."leadership" during some tough times.




Sure wish that could reflect on our record. But no, we suck. How in the world can you prove leadership during tough times. Ok, the players liked him; the players also like Terry Robiskie (thank god that guy's gone). They have their confidence in our coach, I just don't know if I do. Back in the day with other coaches we had shots at 4th quarter comeback wins. That was how we won a few of those games.

Some of the football that's gone on during Crennel's coaching time has been the worst Browns football I've seen since our return. How does his leadership skills improve our team W/L. Because I haven't seen it.

I like RAC and I like our defense, but if he can't get this team to show some improvement; I could easily find myself at the end of the season wanting him to take a walk. It's one thing to let a guy go too early, but it also sucks to not fix something that's broken. I want results and RAC has the entire season to show improvement, but we better not go 4-12 again, that's for sure.


UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 765
T
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
T
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 765
Quote:

I do have to throw him a bone and say that he maintains the respect and attention of his players...well...at least all of them saved for one temper-tantrum plagued individual.




I don't doubt that he has his players respect and I can chalk up somethings to him being a new headcoach.


Shep




You were in the locker room to see the chalkboard talk and hear the adjustments????

How do you know the adjustments weren't made but the players didn't execute them????




No .....of course I wasnt. As far as the adjustmentd, that could very well be the case as we were well below average in talent across the board the last few years. He just hasnt demonstrated to me that he is going to be the guy longterm.


Mac

Quote:

The one quality that Crennel clearly showed over the last two seasons, that some may be overlooking..the players "never quit" on Crennel. Even with the coaching mess on offense, the Browns players "did not quit" on Crennel.




I whole heartedly agree with your sentiments. I also agree with what you said about leadership and the quality of the coordinators.


Maybe we have the defensive talent to run alot of the scheme the Pats ran....maybe it wasnt RAC's scheme? I dont know...I guess that is what makes waiting for this year so hard.


I am not nor have I ever really been bent on calling for RAC's head, I have questiond his fire, questioned some decisions but all in all I still genuinely like the guy.

I like this team alot too, but I am sick of losing. And ultimately.. that is how they are judged. We have tried to pump up mediocre players since 99 to be stars when they were anywhere close. I just dont want to see that trend continue with coaches.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,395
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,395
Quite a read ddubia, a bunch that I didn't know. But it will take some real x and o work and a bunch more daring. I hope the playbook gets used rather than worshipped to the point where the schemes can't be run. But it MUST be better than the lunacy of 3 draws (this time fer shure!) we have seen.
Win one in the division in O7! And may the Elf be with us!


"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 435
B
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 435
For some reason that made me think of the "Leon" commercial.

"You mean your 4 fumbles didnt factor into the loss?"

"No, I have to put this loss squarely on my teammates."



"I don't remember any of my catches. I remember the drops." - Kellen Winslow II
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Rob Chudzinski runs the distance to Browns

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5