Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
D
Legend
Legend
D
Johnson was his RT not LT .. he's one of the best in the game ... but he's not a LT ... not trying to be a jerk here, i know u want good info put out ....

He's a HUGE LOSS ... has hurt them immensely ..

I agree with everything U said about the teams they went too ... no way does any rookie QB look as good on this team as they do on the teams they went too .. that's clear since Wentz and dak are the only two rooks starting so far ... *L* ...

They both went to much better teams ...

Skill set wise they can both do things Cody can't ... like Vers said .. they both pass the eye test ...

And remember i said after the draft I was fine with the Cody pick ... i felt we drafted a very good back up .. and in this league, with how QB's are going down .. the 3rd is not to early .. I did a list on this or another thread ... in the AFC through 8 games 6 of the 16 teams have started their back up ... and that only includes us once .. we've started 3 different QB's and played 5 ... and of the 3 we started .. two of them got knocked out and are on their 2nd tour of starting ...

I got a question for you ...

Are u saying that Dak being passed on 134 times by other teams is somehow a justification for our FO passing on him? ...

I don't get it ... that makes no sense to me ... is it somehow OK that we missed on him because other teams FO's messed up so its OK for us too? ... what kind of logic is that? ....

I don't get it ... makes no sense to me ...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
All they had to do was check into Prescott's situation to know that he had a very good chance of winning his case.

What case is that? Oh yeah...the DUI. They should have drafted him - after the problems with JFF - because he had a good CHANCE to win his case?

C'mon Man...really?

Quote:
I think Depo and Sashi got lazy and decided to stereo type Prescott just like the other 30 teams did...two black guys driving a Caddy through a Mississippi hick town at 1:30 am..they have to guilty of something, right?

So...now they are racists? Got it

Quote:
I wonder how far Prescott would have fallen had the Cowboys not made the steal of the draft. I wonder where the Harvard guys had him slotted on our board?

He wasn't even ON their board due to the DUI...it shouldn't be hard to understand that. You don't have to agree with that decision, but when you rant like THIS you lose any credibility in the other points you are trying to make...over and over and over again.

Quote:
...if Kessler could lead the team to a few wins this year, that would help too..lord knows he has the weapons to help...wrs, te, rb...he has the weapons to succeed.

You cannot be serious.

Legend
Legend
i have a question for all the Dak lovers.

would he be doing remotely as well as he is in Dallas?

he's a 4th round QB. just like Cody, he wasn't even suppose to be anywhere near the starting role this season.

Cody in his limited amount of time due to injury, has 4 TD's and 1 int, and has played in less than half the games that Dak has played in, who has 9 TD's and 2 int.

if they end up with similar numbers, or even the same TD:Int Ratio, did we REALLY miss out on Dak, or are people leaving out the rest of the team around Dak compared to what Cody has here?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Swish

he's a 4th round QB. just like Cody, he wasn't even suppose to be anywhere near the starting role this season.

Cody was pick 93 in the 3rd round, Dak was 135 in the 4th.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U

Read the sentence again. Notice the period and comma placement.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Cody in his limited amount of time due to injury, has 4 TD's and 1 int, and has played in less than half the games that Dak has played in, who has 9 TD's and 2 int.

if they end up with similar numbers, or even the same TD:Int Ratio, did we REALLY miss out on Dak, or are people leaving out the rest of the team around Dak compared to what Cody has here?

It's a very good question...and one that is basically unanswerable. However, I think it's quite impressive what both guys have done thus far.

I think Cody has impressed every bit as much as Dak except for getting the W...and he's done that with a ridiculously-limited and injured surrounding cast and swiss-cheese defense. Whereas Dak is on a team that needed ZIP until two DBs went down last week.

I almost think Dak's play should focus the spotlight more on Romo than the other QB's in Dak's draft class.

Given that their effectiveness has been similar but on polar-opposite teams, I think it's reasonable to say that CK would do at least as well - or likely better - in Dallas as Dak has thus far.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U

Sorry my mistake. Contacts are blurry this morning and I remember seeing a post on here that had him taken in the 4th.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
D
Legend
Legend
D

Many of us have readily said that ...

Now lets ask a different question ....

Who would u all choose now ... DAK or CODY?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Who would u all choose now ... DAK or CODY

Can I take Cody, but on the Cowboys?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
trick question. until Dak plays on this team. cannot say he is better or worse than Cody...Cody has played damn well all things being equal. I like the kid and he is our best QB

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Cody

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
trick question. until Dak plays on this team. cannot say he is better or worse than Cody...Cody has played damn well all things being equal. I like the kid and he is our best QB

Ya i can ... I KNOW FOOTBALL ...

There SKILL SETS are DIFFERENT in one key area ...

If you can't see that ... not my problem ..

At least your honest with your answer .. and i'm going to ASSume its cause your a homer ...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Ya i can ... I KNOW FOOTBALL ...

At least your honest with your answer .. and i'm going to ASSume its cause your a homer ...

You can ASSume anything you want. and you don't know for sure...you think you do. but reality is you will never know for sure...I am going to ASSume it's because you are an anti-homer

D
Legend
Legend
D
An anti homer? ... *L* ..

Been called alot worse than that for SIMPLY telling the TRUTH and stating FACTS about this team since 99 ...

At one point in 2000 or 01 they actually started a thread to have me banned for being to "negative" when all i was doing was pointing out REALITY!!!

As for Dak and Cody ... if u want to forget the SKILL SETS that are clearly evident now ... thats your prerogative .... i prefer standing in REALITY ... where u choose to plant your feet is up to u ...

Nothing's for certain dude .. NOTHING ...

I've stated my view .. have fun boys ...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

I'll bite on this one because I'd like to learn something here. My guess is that the different skill set you see is in the ability to drive the ball down the field. I've seen the velocity measurements from the combine and imagine that they are like any other statistic...potentially meaningless if not taken as part of the entire picture. It is apparent that Dak is a bigger/thicker guy and has a stronger arm.

Going on the assumption that the difference between them is their ability to drive the ball downfield:

Would you temper your opinion on Cody's ability due to playing behind an OLine that does not consistently give him a pocket to step into the throws?

Would you temper your opinion on Cody's ability due to his receiving options?

Do you believe that Hue is calling for the longer throws but Cody is choosing not to make them?

Do you believe Hue is not calling for the longer throws due to one or all of the issues with arm strength, the Oline, and the options?

It takes me a little longer to see certain nuances in the game than it does for others...so I'd like to learn something here that gives me something to watch tomorrow.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
delete

Last edited by mac; 11/05/16 12:38 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend

That's an impossible question to answer based off limited playing time to go off with Cody.

For all we know, Dak would've got injured playing behind our o line, and then we'd be talking about how great Kessler looks in Dallas.

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Diam writes:
Quote:

Here you go folks, Prescott plays the 2nd qtr for the south...Kessler plays the 3 qtr for the north.

Now, you be the judge of which QB you would chose.

link

Last edited by mac; 11/05/16 01:17 PM.

Legend
Legend
I thought this thread was about the Front Office and how they are terrible and never going to be good, but we don't actually want to fire them.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
You are right..I was trying to respond to something Diam had written and I had trouble getting the video to post. When I finally got it to post, I forgot to quote Diam.

I just went back and edited the post...should make a bit more sense now.

BTW, I have never asked that anyone be fired.

Last edited by mac; 11/05/16 01:24 PM.

D
Legend
Legend
D
WOW .... your incredible ...

I don't ask for who would do what where ..

I said .. WHO WOULD U CHOOSE NOW? ..

In what world is that IMPOSSIBLE to answer? ..

U sure you ain't a 60 year old senator or sumptin .. cause u sure never answer a question and spin the crap out of everything ...

Its a SIMPLE QUESTION ..

Guess its my fault, thinking U may actually answer a question ..

Legend
Legend
I gave you an answer, you just didn't like the response.

I'd choose Cody. I've made that painfully obvious.

Last edited by Swish; 11/05/16 01:36 PM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

I've seen the velocity measurements from the combine and imagine that they are like any other statistic...potentially meaningless if not taken as part of the entire picture. It is apparent that Dak is a bigger/thicker guy and has a stronger arm.

Glad u mentioned the entire picture .. its so IMPORTANT when trying to figure out how to interprete a stat ...

The combine has its uses ... to me most of them are in getting to talk to the guys one on one .. gonna find out how they think on their feet and get a general feel for them ... the football stuff .. i LOVE GAME FILM ... i'll make my evaluations off that as opposed to guys running in a straight line on a track in shorts or how hard a guy can throw the ball in shorts w/o having to read a D and guys flying all over the place ...

Guessing the STAT BOYS will be all over me for that one .. *L* ..

Quote:
Going on the assumption that the difference between them is their ability to drive the ball downfield:

Would you temper your opinion on Cody's ability due to playing behind an OLine that does not consistently give him a pocket to step into the throws?

ABSOLUTELY ... thats huge ... a few things ....

- he's made plenty of throws where he had a good pocket and step into throws ...
- i watched him play 10 games or so his last 3 years in college .. u could see he struggled on deep passes and he didn't have zip on his passes down the seems and throwing to the opposite hashes ...

Quote:
Would you temper your opinion on Cody's ability due to his receiving options?

ABSOLUTELY ... u have a valid point here ... but that's not Cody's problem .. i've seen enough of him in college and here to know he just doesn't have the zip on the ball ..

Also he had very good recievers at USC ...

Quote:
Do you believe that Hue is calling for the longer throws but Cody is choosing not to make them?

I believe Hue is calling plays for Cody's skill set .. i believe that has something to do with it .. I also believe that his 1st read is not always within 10 yards of the LOS ... I have no clue what the breakdown is there .. NO CLUE ...

Quote:
Do you believe Hue is not calling for the longer throws due to one or all of the issues with arm strength, the Oline, and the options?

Hate to sound redundant .. pretty similar questions is my excuse .. *L* ..

I believe Hue is calling plays based on Cody's skill set ... that inclues his arm strength, brains and accuracy(we'll talk more about accuracy in a bit) ...

Our OL and options may limit him some .. i believe we have basically a short passing game with Cody in because of his arm strength ...

Wonder what the % of passes Josh threw down field in his 2 or 3 starts compared to when Cody is in ..

GREAT QUESTIONS WILLIE .. making me think ... LOVE THINKING and LEARNING ... making me think about things and also making me think of other things to watch for ..

Quote:
It takes me a little longer to see certain nuances in the game than it does for others...so I'd like to learn something here that gives me something to watch tomorrow.

Cody is far from a finished product .. he will improve in areas .. not arm strength ..

Once he learns to anticipate better and get rid of the ball on time .. he will be able to complete more passes down the field .. and also give our guys a much better chance of getting YAC ...

U want a few things to watch for .. and remember .. his last start .. his shoulder was still f'd up .. see if he looks FLUID and NATURAL .. if he does .. he should be good to go ...

- watch on his throws to the sidelines when he's in the pocket .. and his throws down the middle in the 20 - 25 yard range ...

When your watching for that ... watch and see if he only throws down the middle to BIG WINDOWS only or if he tries to fit some in small windows ...

- watch his accuracy ... and by that .. does he hit pryor and coleman in stride running those 10 yard slants or "crossing" patterns .... for a guy like him ... THATS HUGE ..

Letting a receiver catch the ball in stride is the difference between a 10 yard gain or a 40 yard gain or a TD ...

And like u said about stats ... TAKE THE ENTIRE PICTURE INTO ACCOUNT ...

If u want .. remember/write down some throws and we can talk about them next week ... i record all the games so i can find them ...

LOVE TO DO THAT ....

Thanks again for the questions ...

Appearantly mine are too hard for guys like Swish to answer ... *LOL* ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
I gave you an answer, you just didn't like the response.

I'd choose Cody. I've made that painfully obvious.

Sure u gave me an answer ... just not to the question I asked ..

Thats an answer Mr. Aistare .... *LOL* ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

But, but, but....that would take all the "fun" out of being able to take things out of context. naughtydevil

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Thanks Diam. Let's see what tomorrow brings and maybe we will have some good things to discuss in the 'Post-game Thoughts' thread.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
[quote=WSU Willie][quote=DiamDawg]

Cody is far from a finished product .. he will improve in areas .. not arm strength ..

hmmm...throwing velocity.

Cody Kessler, Southern Cal 55

Dak Prescott, Mississippi State 54

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2016/03/02/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2015/

my feet are planted in reality...just not sure where your are.

D
Legend
Legend
D
[quote=WSU Willie][quote=DiamDawg]

hmmm...throwing velocity.

Cody Kessler, Southern Cal 55

Dak Prescott, Mississippi State 54

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2016/03/02/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2015/

my feet are planted in reality...just not sure where your are.

*LOL* ..... u got me ... rolleyes ..

I prefer to WATCH and make JUDGEMENTS as opposed to look up MEANINGLESS STATS ...

And Jordan Matthews has better downfield speed in a football game than Terrance Williams cause he ran faster in shorts in a straight line on a track ...

And Carson Wentz has no arm strength cause of the avg. lenght his passes travel in the air ...

YUP .... just another example of why

STATS ARE FOR ..... well, u know ...

U can lead a horse to the water, but u can't make them drink it ....

Just wondering big guy ... ANY CLUE WHAT SO EVER HOW THEY MEASURE THAT? ...

Not that it really matters ... just curious if u even know what the hell the measurement means .. its obviously not based on actually watching a game ...

STATS BABY .... the tool of the folks that don't understand the game ....

Keep on keepin on dude ...

Go back to arguing with mac ... he's more your speed ...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
lol yup the guy who throws the slowest ball, has more zip...yeeaa...some stats don't lie there fella. anyway go back to Dak is the best. but I didn't see you saying "man we have to get Dak...might as well get him in the first". so yea all this Dak talk means absolutely nothing to me. screw him, we have Cody. that is the reality of it.

Legend
Legend
Saying "We don't have Dak, so who cares" is not the point.

Because the people that passed on Dak, in favor of Cody, are still in charge of picking players.

The question, that no one on this board can likely answer, is WHY they picked Cody over Dak (and every other QB except Goff)

IN MY OPINION. The moment Dak got the DUI, he went off there draft board.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
V
Legend
Legend
V
Do you really think you can have an objective conversation w/those guys?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Do you really think you can have an objective conversation w/those guys?

Those guys..?

Sounds like belittling a poster to me, be careful, there's a poster around here who gets really irratated when people do that..

Oh, wait..

J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Any QB would have a tough time with this cast of characters

B
Legend
Legend
B
I can honestly say I wanted Dak.....not many can. This year I say Chad Kelly is going to be a very good NFL QB. I want him.

Not many will. We can wait and see.

Kelly is going to be a very good NFL QB

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I can honestly say I wanted Dak.....not many can. This year I say Chad Kelly is going to be a very good NFL QB. I want him.

Hope the MRI comes back negative tomrrow...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." [Mark Twain]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Could be the FO of the second team in NFL history to go 0-16. Enough said!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawg_Traveler

I agree.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawg_Traveler

I agree.

Ole Miss star QB Chad Kelly out for the season with serious knee injury

A bad season for the Rebels has gotten even worse

The school announced Sunday evening that star quarterback Chad Kelly will miss the rest of the season with a serious knee injury after tearing his ACL and lateral meniscus in Ole Miss' 37-27 win over Georgia Southern on Saturday.

Article

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Marla Ridenour: Cowboys find cornerstones of franchise in draft, Browns find futility

By Marla Ridenour
Beacon Journal sports columnist
link

November 6, 2016 - 08:32 PM

CLEVELAND: With quarterback Dak Prescott and running back Ezekiel Elliott, it appears the Dallas Cowboys have found the cornerstones of their franchise, perhaps the second comings of Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith.

And once again the Browns continued to flounder as they watched an opponent thrive with players they could have drafted.

In Oakland, it is defensive end/outside linebacker Khalil Mack and quarterback Derek Carr. In Philadelphia it is quarterback Carson Wentz.

Seemingly every week as the Browns continue their winless slide, as they repeatedly miss tackles and leave receivers and tight ends open, they face those who could have made an impact had the Browns not continued to botch the NFL Draft.

That sad situation smacked me in the face as I watched Elliott and Prescott Sunday in the Cowboys’ 35-10 victory at FirstEnergy Stadium. It was a similar feeling to the Raiders’ game in 2015, only Prescott and Elliott look like they could be even more dynamic.

The fourth overall pick from Ohio State whom I believed was the best player in the draft, Elliott came into the week leading the league in rushing. He left with 891 yards and seven touchdowns.

Only two other backs in league history, Eric Dickerson and Adrian Peterson, have put up 875-plus rushing yards and seven TDs in the first eight games of their careers. With two rushing touchdowns to pad his total with half the season left, Elliott broke the Cowboys’ rookie record held by Smith and Julius Jones.

Browns defensive back Tracy Howard called Elliott “the future of this league.”

Prescott, a fourth-round selection taken after the Browns chose USC quarterback Cody Kessler in the third round, looks to be recreating the Patriots’ Drew Bledsoe-Tom Brady succession scenario. With Prescott moving up the depth chart after No. 2 Kellen Moore broke his fibula on Aug. 2 and starter Tony Romo fractured a vertebrae in his back three snaps into an Aug. 25 preseason game, the Cowboys are now Prescott’s team.

Prescott’s three touchdown passes against the Browns gave him 12, breaking Aikman’s rookie record (11). Prescott became the league’s first rookie quarterback to start 7-1 since the Steelers’ Ben Roethlisberger in 2004.

Browns cornerback Jamar Taylor said of Prescott, “He’s going to be something to reckon with in his future.”

Meanwhile, Browns center Cameron Erving, the 19th overall pick in 2015, was ejected early in the first quarter for fighting. Nose tackle Danny Shelton, the 12th overall pick in 2015, was making three tackles, one solo, as the Cowboys rushed for 168 yards. Kessler was passing for 203 yards and a TD, but was sacked four times and took seven quarterbacks hits.

According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Cowboys’ past seven drafts have yielded 13 starters, 12 Pro Bowlers, one NFL rushing title and one offensive player of the year. In that same span, the only Browns’ first-round picks remaining on the roster are Shelton, Erving and Corey Coleman.

Elliott wouldn’t be a candidate for AFC offensive player the year if he played for the Browns. Prescott wouldn’t have put up 12 touchdowns. Not behind this line.

While the Browns were selecting Phil Taylor in 2011, Barkevious Mingo in 2013 and Justin Gilbert and Johnny Manziel in 2014, the Cowboys were using first-round picks on left tackle Tyron Smith, center Travis Frederick and right guard Zack Martin. As Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was talked out of using the No. 16 pick on Manziel and talked into Martin, the Cowboys found the final piece of the puzzle for the best offensive line in the league.

The Browns selecting Elliott without retaining free agent right tackle Mitchell Schwartz and finding a center to replace the overmatched Erving after the inevitable departure of Alex Mack would have made no sense.

Kessler over Prescott, whose only knock was a since-dismissed arrest for driving under the influence in March, looks inexplicable now, even as Kessler shows promising flashes.

Elliott knows he’s playing in the perfect situation. “There couldn’t have been a better team for me to get drafted to,” he said.

Prescott said the chip on his shoulder grew the moment the Browns passed on him and he doesn’t bring it back up each week. But when asked later by Cowboys writer Clarence Hill Jr. about the Browns passing on him eight times in the draft, Prescott joked, “They didn’t pass on me today.”

Perhaps performances like Elliott and Prescott turned in Sunday won’t change how owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam feel about executive vice president of football operations Sashi Brown and/or chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta.

But one year into a total roster teardown, the Haslams can’t be content as an 0-16 season looks more inevitable by the week.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
True Mac, nobody would put up good numbers behind our O-line. Cam is not the answer at Center and the others on IR don't help much either.

Last edited by dawgpound101; 11/07/16 12:11 AM.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Front Office..continued...

Link Copied to Clipboard