Next Thread
Print Thread
#1193867 11/14/16 11:55 PM
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Mine would be a hybrid somehow between Bernie Kosar and Joe Montana.

Throw in some Mariota. A few years ago, I drew criticism for pimping Marcus Mariota in spite of the fact that we had just drafted Manziell the year before. Since some would have labeled me a Manziel homer, this made it even more interesting. If I was scouting QB's right now, I would label Mariota the standard of which I am comparing against. He and Andrew Luck. Brains, speed, deception, size, ability to read defenses at a high level, toughness, can throw a football, accuracy, etc...

What standards do you have for the future star QB of the Browns? What do you expect? Demand?

What is most important?

Special talent. Special human being. Special football player.

In order to be a consistent playoff team we will need to have a elite level quarterback. I don't see it happening for us if we have an Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, Kurt Cousins, Tyrod Taylor, etc... level guy. They won't make it here.

I believe television is ready to make the Dawg Pound a Thursday and Sunday Night feature. It would play well. The NFL would benefit in many ways by a Browns turnaround, but obviously, everything has backfired in that regard to an extreme. We need a big time talented guy behind center to turn this. Period

Elite Quarterback.

What qualities in a quarterback are the most important, most necessary, in your opinion, to get us the guy that actually leads us into a Super Bowl?

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
i think a hybrid of gus frerotte and rex grossman would be an upgrade...lol

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: lionchamp29
i think a hybrid of gus frerotte and rex grossman would be an upgrade...lol

Sad but true

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Accuracy/Brains ...

Don't want anything to do with a hybrid .... Mariatta's success has come because he's now not taking off and running as often .. the run game meaning Demarco Murray helps more than one would think .. hes had some very good pockets and some wide open recievers as a direct result of Murray and the run game ...

Don't get me wrong .. would love to have a QB that is smart/accurate and can run ... but he needs to learn to become a "passer" first and a runner only when he sees a ton of green in front of him or is forced to .. that doesn't mean pulling it down and running at the first hint of pressure ...

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know that there is any one standard. Different QBs have done it different ways. Some move a little more, some had bigger arms.

I think the one thing all good QBs have is vision. They can see the field.

Too bad that is a hard one to scout.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If I were a GM of a team that needed a qb and I was given a name of one we could draft high the 1st thing I would ask is has he been in any trouble. If I was told no he's a good kid by all accounts I would ask how big is he and can he make all the NFL throws. If I was told by my scouting staff he is 6' 4" and weighs 230 or more and has a strong arm I then would ask is he smart enough to learn our system, can make reads and go through progressions. If I was told he may not quite understand it now but yes he is smart and with work will be able to do this then I would want to draft him.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Big tough durable and ACCURACY, ACCURACY, ACCURACY...quick release also.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
If I were a GM of a team that needed a qb and I was given a name of one we could draft high the 1st thing I would ask is has he been in any trouble. If I was told no he's a good kid by all accounts I would ask how big is he and can he make all the NFL throws. If I was told by my scouting staff he is 6' 4" and weighs 230 or more and has a strong arm I then would ask is he smart enough to learn our system, can make reads and go through progressions. If I was told he may not quite understand it now but yes he is smart and with work will be able to do this then I would want to draft him.

...and then we drafted Brady Quinn.

Last edited by oobernoober; 11/15/16 02:49 PM. Reason: Double clicked quick reply

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Wentz..I thought he was the ideal fit for the Browns...

..6-5, 235lbs
..strong arm
..smart, scored 40 on wonderlic
..HS valedictorian,stayed in college and graduated
..primarily a pocket passer but has the athleticism to ..effectively run with the ball
..came from a family of father and older brothers who excelled in athletics

Came from a small college, just like Flacco and Roethlisberger.

There was so much to like about him, but the Browns front office did not recognize the QB talent that was standing right in front of them.

At this time, I see no talent like Wentz in the 2017 draft.

Last edited by mac; 11/15/16 03:22 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1194029 11/15/16 03:56 PM
Legend
Legend
You talk about Wentz as a prospect, like he was coming out of college as the "Next Andrew Luck"

He wasn't. He had flaws.

The biggest thing I had against him was that NDSU didn't miss a beat without him for like 8 games his final year..

Was I wrong? Probably.

But The Browns aren't the only team that ever gets draft picks wrong.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
The Redhawks aren't that bad to compare them to Div 2 teams. That's just hurtful.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
idk something like a mix of Dan Marino and Big Ben would be nice.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Rookie
Rookie
EO, that sounds exactly like Carson Wentz to me. Damn shame we did not pull the trigger when we had the opportunity, just my .02 cents!

LETS GET THIS RIGHT FELLAS...ENOUGH LOSING IS ENOUGH!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'd be very happy with a below average physical above average mental system QB like a Tom Brady or Drew Brees.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
NO Hybrids. Period.

I want SIZE.
I want ARM. Make all throws including deep stuff.
I want ACCURACY.
I want SMARTS.
I want EXPERIENCE.

That has Trubisky written all over it. Except for the damn experience. Go figure. Just our luck.

You must have SMARTS or you'll most likely never figure out how to read any type of NFL defensive sets and most likely struggle to adjust to the speed of the game because you're thinking all the time.

College football is doing the NFL no favors in prepping these guys for success. Way too many read-option and spread offenses in college. That makes it majorly difficult to project these guys to the next level.

If we take Trubisky, wherever that may be, we MUST give him a running game with a decent OL. As of today the weapons are here. And let him roll.

Prescott walked into a GIFT in Dallas with everything they have.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: Bill Walsh
The single trait that separates great quarterbacks from good quarterbacks is the ability to make the great, spontaneous decision, especially at a crucial time. The clock is running down and your team is five points behind. The play that was called has broken down and 22 players are moving in almost unpredictable directions all over the field.

This is where the great quarterback uses his experience, vision, mobility and what we will call spontaneous genius. He makes something good happen. This, of course, is what we saw in Joe Montana when he pulled out those dramatic victories for Notre Dame

Quote:
To become a great quarterback, there must be instincts and intuition. This is the area that can be the difference between a very solid quarterback and a great quarterback. This isn't an area you can do much with as a coach. You can certainly bring a quarterback up to a competitive standard, but to reach greatness the quarterback must possess that inherently, ala Billy Kilmer, Sonny Jurgensen, Ken Stabler and Warren Moon.

Quote:
Now, he must be courageous and intensely competitive. He will be the one on the field who is running the team. His teammates must believe in him or it may not matter how much physical ability he has. If he is courageous and intensely competitive, then other players will know and respect that. This will be a foundation for becoming a leader.

Quote:
You look at how complete an inventory of throws a quarterback possesses -- from screen passes to timed short passes to medium range passes and down the field throws. This complete range. For the scout, not having a complete inventory does not eliminate the quarterback. But you are looking to evaluate in all facets and distances and types of passes in throwing the ball.

Quote:
A quick delivery , one that is not telegraphed to help the defense, gives the quarterback an advantage when he finds his intended target. That's when it is essential to get the ball "up and gone'' with no wasted motion. Some of this can be acquired by learning proper technique. But to a certain degree, a quick release is related to a quarterback's reaction time between spotting his receiver and getting the ball "up and gone.''

Quote:
The ability to read defenses is not something that players have learned to a high degree coming out of college. Even if they have, the pro defenses are very different. But most systems require quarterbacks to look at primary and secondary receivers, usually based on the defense that confronts him. You can see if he locates that secondary receiver -- or maybe even an emergency outlet receiver -- with ease or with a sense of urgency.

Quote:
This should work like a natural progression, not a situation where it's -- "Oh, my gosh, now I must look over here ... no, over there.'' You can see which quarterbacks handle these situations with grace. These are the types who have a chance to perform with consistency in the NFL.

Quote:
Mobility and an ability to avoid a pass rush are crucial. Some quarterbacks use this mobility within the pocket just enough so they are able to move and pass when they "feel" a rush. But overall quickness and agility can make a remarkable difference. As an example, there were some very quick boxers in Sugar Ray Leonard's era, but he was quicker than they were and because of that he became a great champ.

Quote:
Quarterbacks must be able to function while injured. The pro season is about twice as long and more punishing than a college season. They are vulnerable to getting hit hard every time they pass. They must be able to avoid being rattled, get up and show they are in control and can continue to lead the offense.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I remember having this conversation on the old board a few times. It was pretty good stuff. I think the game has changed a bit since then and thus, some of the attributes a qb needs have evolved along w/the changes.

Here are my thoughts:

*Football intelligence: By that I mean that you need a qb who can come up to the LOS, read the defense, and then be able to make audibles, or choose the right play if there are two called.

Football smarts also includes things like making sight adjustments, hot reads, throwing w/anticipation, and making post-snap coverage reads. It's also about going through progressions and exploiting weaknesses in coverage.

I have always believed that you can coach a guy to make the pre-snap reads but it isn't much you can do about many of the post-snap things.

*Poise/Leadership/Toughness: I typically separate these attributes, but in the interest of length, I will combine them. You want a guy who isn't afraid of the moment. You want a guy who has the respect of the locker room even if he isn't a loud guy. You need a guy who is tough enough to stand in and make throws when pressured and a guy who can play through injuries.

*Pocket Awareness/Quick Release: I'll combine these, as well. Pocket awareness starts w/your pre-snap read and knowing where the pressure will probably come from. It also involves the ability to step-up in the pocket at the right time, or move to avoid guys while keeping your eyes downfield. A quick release is very important for obvious reasons.

*Arm strength: Everyone can throw the bomb, but you want a guy who can fit the ball into tight windows. The speed of NFL defenses has increased dramatically in the last 10-15 years. That speed has made arm strength more important than it was when my guy, Brian Sipe, played.

*Athleticism: Current rush packages are pretty sophisticated and you got huge men running 40 times that only WRs, CBs, and RBs ran back in the day. I want a guy who can avoid pressure and turn a negative play into a positive gain.

I am not thinking quite straight and probably forgot some things. Also, I combined several attributes and can go into more detail about them if anyone wants to discuss it.

As I was writing this, one guy kept popping into my head more than others. Anyone want to guess who it is?

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: LittleDAWG
EO, that sounds exactly like Carson Wentz to me. Damn shame we did not pull the trigger when we had the opportunity, just my .02 cents!

Hey I pimped him as best I could...lol laugh But its over, do I think even in hindsight that we should have taken him...yep. But we cannot change anything so our only salvation is to hit on the draft picks. So far so good. Right now I'm seeing Awesome Defense gets you in the playoffs and win championships got to get there with draft picks..
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
able to make quick decisions and then the ability to get the ball where it's needed. everything else is gravy. The longer a QB stays in the SAME system the more he is likely to get faster. The more he sees and study defenses the more he gains the ability to find his open WR.

So find a quick thinker who has a decent arm and is accurate and leave him in the same system 2-3 plus years and you will most likely end up with a successful QB.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
P
Legend
Legend
P
A QB that knows how to WIN!!!

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
1. Read Defenses - Don't care if you can throw it 100 mph and knock a fly off a fence post, if you don't know where to throw it, you are useless.
2. Accuracy - Once you determine where to throw it, you have to be able to hit what you are aiming at.
3. Arm Strength - Being able to get it there quickly and being able to throw it through the wind is next.
4. Stay out of trouble. - This is pretty self-explanatory

I don't really care if he has speed as long as he is good within the pocket at avoiding pressure.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

But The Browns aren't the only team that ever gets draft picks wrong.

Absolutely, but they are the only team that is wrong about 85% of the time in the first round.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
V
Legend
Legend
V
Alright, I thought my post was pretty good. I thought it was educational. Not one response. I wonder if people even read such posts or just gloss over posts that they can't criticize????

I asked this:

Quote:
As I was writing this, one guy kept popping into my head more than others. Anyone want to guess who it is?

The answer was Big Ben, not that anyone cares. LOL

B
Legend
Legend
B
Big Ben.

It was a good post, I just never revisited the thread.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
After reading your post, which followed Ed's, I thought we could close the thread.

Bamn, those two posts nailed it. Not that many of the others weren't good.

They gave me and anybody who was seriously thinking about the topic practically all the info they would need. They caused me to rack my brain about the topic.

The morphing/hybrid thing also got me thinking. Marino and Ben. Morph them what do you get: Big, can make accurate throws with linebackers draped around the waist, great throwers of the ball. Morph those two, what do you get? Bernie and Montana: The two most accurate throwers/passers of the ball of that era. Winners. Tough. Great leadership without rah rah. Brains. Heart. Morph those two, what do you get? Then, morph the two end results and ???

For years I had to read stuff like: "Ryan Mallet" "We might be able to get Jay Cutler"

Otto, Bernie, and a splash of Brian. 60 years, thats it. That orange helmet does something to quarterbacks. Most don't seem able to handle it. Jay Cutler, Mike Phipps ain't gonna cut it.

By the way, Diam, I was remiss in not telling you its good to see you back on the board.

Barry Bonds Check
Roger Clemens Check
Mark McGuire Check
Lance Armstrong Check

71-79 Steelers Taboo
(Lets pretend it didn't happen.)
D
Legend
Legend
D
Thanks for the kind words sir .... u may want to duck .. your in the minority on that one .. *L* ..

Thanks again for the kind words ..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It would really depend on the type of offense that we were running to what QB that I would want.

For Hue's offense, Big Ben would be a good choice. Wentz would have been a good choice too. A vertical type offense needs a QB with a big arm.

For Andy Reid's offense, Cody Kessler might be a great choice. Jared Goff would probably do well there as well.

I try not to get hung up on trying to find a guy of a certain type as much as how well they fit what we are doing.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks. That was nice of you to say.

I just re-read my latest post and it comes across as fishing. I was in a weird mood last night. Sorry about that post.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Your Standards QB

Link Copied to Clipboard