Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
E
Legend
Legend
E
I hate stats also especially OL stats, I bring it up (you were not here much) because of those STATS from PFF all of a sudden to many Schwartz became Great. I was one of the few as usually in his corner observing him get better with each season. Well this is Pasztor's first season with us playing RT. I was hoping that kid Shon Coleman would have won the job but he was hurt from the draft till about mid training camp.

All these rookies also have hit the wall. They finish their season get a little break before bowl games. Then its off to preparing for the Draft...then its mini camps and then Training camp and they just are burnt out and their conditioning was for the Combine and shorts not for football. Why there is a jump big one year two from one... Shelton was a good example. Got conditioned for the NFL and it has paid off.

OL guys. Coleman, Drango actually has been a big surprise for me. I would like to see him year two he has good feet. I still don't blame this FO for not signing Mack nor Schwartz...it should have been done by the previous regime. To get into the mix in February putting together a new staff getting ready for the combine/draft Both parties wanted to see what FA had in store for them and didn't accept our fair offers. Mack I don't think we had any chance to resign he did everything but come out and say that after we did the firings and reboot. Schwartz on the other hand something happened there that we don't know. All I know is we made a fair offer and he denied us...after testing the market and realizing his FA was wrong about 10+ per season out there. He came back we said not for the previous contract...that is off the table as his market value has changed and I guess both felt insulted...again Schwartz is not the guy who got away! He was good but not that hard to replace.

How many years will Haslam give these guys.
In general 3 years.
If we are winless or picking #1 2018 it could be 2 years.
If we keep getting better and that includes our WINS it could carry on to 4 or more.
JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have watched a few Chiefs games and Schwartz has played very well. Announcers have noted that Schwartz has been the best and most consistent offensive linemen for the Chiefs. Same has been said about Mac in Atlanta.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
If they can't even Win 1 game, then they would be right to clean house(the only time it would be justified)The previous firings of Crennell, Mangini, and god help me...Holmgren and Shurmur showed enough to be given more years...but this....this....really?

No one in the league would expect to survive an 0-16 season, and no one in the NFL is going to hold it against Haslam for cleaning house under an 0-16 season as it would be justifiable....im sorry but if they go 0-16 I don't want to see year 2, year 1 was impossible to stomach.

They got 4 games left...if they can't win 1 damn game then Haslam needs to clean house and can the damn anaylitic moneyball garbage and atleast try to get an NFL compentent Front Office.

Heck I would be ok with keeping Hue Jackson long as we canned Sashi, Depodesta and the rest of these front office clowns.

I think Hue is salvable coach...i think with good Front Office support he could win here...but he don't have a chance in Hades with Moneyball running the show...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Agree on the wall ... been preaching that for awhile now ... U weren't around but many were saying the 2nd half of the season would be better ... i said i didn't see it and one of the reasons was the rooks would hit the wall ...

We never had a shot with Mack ... he wanted to win ... that was his bottom line ... no probs with the FO on that one ... nuttin they could do ...

Schwartz was never as bad as Pastzor ... but thats irrleivent at this point ...

The FO messed up with Schwartz .. that is 100% on them .. when he came back they pulled the offer ... they decided to make an example of him ... STUPID ...

You'll never convince me otherwise bro ... worst case ... 1 LESS POSITION TO FILL TODAY ...

Hopefully Coleman can step up and be the man ... at this point we have no clue ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Dude .. they tore the entire thing down ... witch i have NO PROBLEM WITH ... (vers .. have zero faith in the re-construction crew ... but i agree with tearing it down .. ) ..

I said it before the season started ...

HC - Lombardi
OC - Walsh
DC - Billicheck ..

Still would have been lucky to win 4 games ...

And i am no huge fan of Hues and have ZERO faith in the FO .. but they don't deserve to be fired after this year no matter our record ... if we went 0 - 16 next year .. thats an entirely different story .. NO WAY THAT HAPPENS!!!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
if they go 0-16 I don't want to see year 2

Why not? It's (finally) guaranteed that it can't get any worse rofl

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
They will find a way to win one. Circle the Cincy game in Cleveland.....I think they win that one imo.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
Originally Posted By: mac
hearing from all of the players is just going to breed a dysfunctional locker room...better to keep that stuff said in house.

101...I do not believe in the politically correct BS that NFL teams attempt to establish as the way things should be handled...never criticize the front office or the owner.

What I find interesting...all this crap about Mack not wanting to be here in Cleveland...why would JT criticize the front office for not resigning Mack if there was never a chance for the Harvard Boys to sign him?

Mack wanted to paid for what he was...the best center in the NFL...and "the boys" were convinced that Cam Erving could step right in at center and we would never miss Alex Mack.

The moneyball boys were wrong and the players know it. Joe Thomas is full of frustration and not afraid to break the unwritten rule about criticizing management.

It needs to come out and needs to be discussed or the same idiotic crap will be repeated again by the owner and his moneyballers.

Hell, it would be better if Haslam and Depodesta, Sashi and Berry manned up and admitted, THEY SCREWED UP.

I think it is safe to say, the inexperience of the front office is beginning to show.

I think you miss interpreted what I was trying to convey.

I think if you need to voice your opinion on the state of things. Then that should be done behind closed doors. not a good look to be doing that, using the medium he did.

101...no, I didn't misinterpret anything..I stated my opinion.

I commend any players for telling the truth and if there are some in the front office unhappy with that, then the front office has yet another problem..they want everyone to lie for them.

The Harvard Boys have proven that they suck at analyzing offensive line talent and QB talent and now there should be no more argument about who was responsible for the OLine decisions.

Not a thing wrong with telling the truth with the doors wide open.

mac...if the FO men are so bad at identifying talent on the O-line, then why were leading the league in rushing 6 straight weeks before Bitiono went down for the year?

So you are also saying that any player should jump on tv and slam the FO and HC? then pat them on the back for being "truthful" bringing it all to light?

When players do that on other teams they are called a "cancer" in the locker room. but you seem to think that it would be a welcome relief when players do that here...something wrong with that line of thinking...

don't get me wrong you can believe whatever it is that suits your fancy, I'm just not buying it.

Mack didn't want to be here end of story..non issue for me...not worth a discussion.

moneyball? you throw that term around a lot, not sure you fully understand what that really means...being cheap and being frugal are two completely different things altogether.

Are you really trying to say bitono was the only reason we could run the ball?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
If they can't even Win 1 game, then they would be right to clean house(the only time it would be justified)The previous firings of Crennell, Mangini, and god help me...Holmgren and Shurmur showed enough to be given more years...but this....this....really?

No one in the league would expect to survive an 0-16 season, and no one in the NFL is going to hold it against Haslam for cleaning house under an 0-16 season as it would be justifiable....im sorry but if they go 0-16 I don't want to see year 2, year 1 was impossible to stomach.

They got 4 games left...if they can't win 1 damn game then Haslam needs to clean house and can the damn anaylitic moneyball garbage and atleast try to get an NFL compentent Front Office.

Heck I would be ok with keeping Hue Jackson long as we canned Sashi, Depodesta and the rest of these front office clowns.

I think Hue is salvable coach...i think with good Front Office support he could win here...but he don't have a chance in Hades with Moneyball running the show...

Problem with cleaning house is no one respectable is going to go near this train wreck. We would be stuck with another rookie GM making rookie mistakes. Unfortunately, keeping Sashi is our "best" choice.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
hearing from all of the players is just going to breed a dysfunctional locker room...better to keep that stuff said in house.

101...I do not believe in the politically correct BS that NFL teams attempt to establish as the way things should be handled...never criticize the front office or the owner.

What I find interesting...all this crap about Mack not wanting to be here in Cleveland...why would JT criticize the front office for not resigning Mack if there was never a chance for the Harvard Boys to sign him?

Mack wanted to paid for what he was...the best center in the NFL...and "the boys" were convinced that Cam Erving could step right in at center and we would never miss Alex Mack.

The moneyball boys were wrong and the players know it. Joe Thomas is full of frustration and not afraid to break the unwritten rule about criticizing management.

It needs to come out and needs to be discussed or the same idiotic crap will be repeated again by the owner and his moneyballers.

Hell, it would be better if Haslam and Depodesta, Sashi and Berry manned up and admitted, THEY SCREWED UP.

I think it is safe to say, the inexperience of the front office is beginning to show.

I think you miss interpreted what I was trying to convey.

I think if you need to voice your opinion on the state of things. Then that should be done behind closed doors. not a good look to be doing that, using the medium he did.

101...no, I didn't misinterpret anything..I stated my opinion.

I commend any players for telling the truth and if there are some in the front office unhappy with that, then the front office has yet another problem..they want everyone to lie for them.

The Harvard Boys have proven that they suck at analyzing offensive line talent and QB talent and now there should be no more argument about who was responsible for the OLine decisions.

Not a thing wrong with telling the truth with the doors wide open.

mac...if the FO men are so bad at identifying talent on the O-line, then why were leading the league in rushing 6 straight weeks before Bitiono went down for the year?

So you are also saying that any player should jump on tv and slam the FO and HC? then pat them on the back for being "truthful" bringing it all to light?

When players do that on other teams they are called a "cancer" in the locker room. but you seem to think that it would be a welcome relief when players do that here...something wrong with that line of thinking...

don't get me wrong you can believe whatever it is that suits your fancy, I'm just not buying it.

Mack didn't want to be here end of story..non issue for me...not worth a discussion.

moneyball? you throw that term around a lot, not sure you fully understand what that really means...being cheap and being frugal are two completely different things altogether.

Are you really trying to say bitono was the only reason we could run the ball?

nope, not at all. I see you answered my question with a question. Ok i'll play along.

Bitiono was not the only reason we were able to run the ball so well, but he played a big part of it imo. Bitiono goes down and Bailey? steps in and Cam went down. now Greco has to slide over to play Center leaving the RG duties to someone else who is not as good as he is. So to review, we have two starters out and one playing a position that is not his. that is 3/5 of our line. When they were healthy we did lead the league in rushing. So that tells me that they were doing there jobs for the most part.
Even with the almighty Mack and god like Schwartz we couldn't do that...so in my mind the line was better than last years squad...so they must have talent to pull that off right?

Now I am not saying they are thee very best judges of talent, but seems to me are not that bad yet...but it is year one. Let's see how they do come next off season.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
Even with the almighty Mack and god like Schwartz we couldn't do that...so in my mind the line was better than last years squad...so they must have talent to pull that off right?

Now I am not saying they are thee very best judges of talent, but seems to me are not that bad yet...but it is year one. Let's see how they do come next off season.

101...if offensive linemen were only judged on run blocking...but they are not.

If QBs only handed the ball off to rbs...but that is a minor part of a QBs job in Cleveland. The Browns pass the ball 2/3s of time, so we might want to consider an OLineman's complete performance, and not just the minor portion.

The Browns OLine now holds the #1 spot...the very worst offensive line when it comes to protecting their QB..leading in both sacks and QB hits. Unofficially, the Browns have ranked near the top all season in QB injuries.

This front office did not even try to keep Mack, believing that they held the answer to the Browns center position, when Cam Erving was drafted in 2015..after he played only 5 games at center (in college).

...sound judgement by the Harvard Boys?

Then there is the front office's bizarre decision to pull their offer to Schwartz. That decision and the way it was handled by the Browns should have cost someone their job..but the front sold it as Schwartz's fault and that the front office had already allocated their funding for the RT position to sign Alvin Bailey.

...was this sound judgement by the Harvard Boys?

The front office signed Bailey, who played both OT and OG for Seahawks.

Drafted (3rd) Shon Colman, OT, Auburn, who was a cancer survivor and was coming off of knee surgery. He has not started a game.

Drafted (5rd) Spencer Drango, OG, Baylor. who has started 3 games.

For 2016, this was the offensive line plan. Losing Mack and Schwartz and this is the way the Harvard Boys fix the mess they made of a good offensive line. They did save Cap Space and money...

It is obvious that the Harvard Boys did not understand the importance of the offensive line in the game of football. Given Sashi's lack of experience in football and Depodesta being a baseball guy, it would not shock me a bit if money was a highest priority for the Browns front office when it came to filling the OLine needs.

What the Havard Boys built, WAS THE WORST OFFENSIVE LINE IN THE NFL.

The question becomes, did the Harvard Boys learn anything from their mistakes?...can you teach the Elite Thinkers anything about the basics in the game of football...or do they believe they have all the answers?

I believe these Boys will continue to put a very low priority on the offensive line, as long as they are completely in charge of the front office.

Last edited by mac; 11/23/16 08:39 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
I disagree w/you about our offensive line. While it certainly hurt that the Browns lost Mack and Schwartz, the Browns OL is not the worst in football. Using stats to prove your point does not paint a complete picture.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
It is obvious that the Harvard Boys did not understand the importance of the offensive line in the game of football. Given Sashi's lack of experience in football and Depodesta being a baseball guy, it would not shock me a bit if money was a highest priority for the Browns front office when it came to filling the OLine needs.

I don't know how anyone can come to the conclusion that it's "obvious" that the FO doesn't value the offensive line. I think they clearly made a mistake with how they handled the Mitchell Schwartz situation but that doesn't mean they don't value the RT spot.

Joe Thomas-- Don't need to draft high for his spot.

Joel Bitonio- Don't need to draft high for his spot.

Cam Erving- Although not playing well this year, he just finished up a rookie year playing multiple spots. I'm not going to get into the Alex Mack situation....again. He was gone.

John Greco-- although I think he was the weakest link in the oline last year, there is certainly no urgency to replace him with a high draft slot.

Mitchell Schwartz-- a FO blunder that was potentially addressed with a third rounder.

What trends justify saying the FO doesn't care about the FO? One year of drafting? Would you have preferred we addressed the RT spot in our first or second round selections? Or center? Is that what you're suggesting? I think taking Shon Coleman in the third round is a decent draft slot commitment to the offensive line. However, the issue is, with ANY FRONT OFFICE, is hitting on those picks more than not. We'll see if that happens.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I disagree w/you about our offensive line. While it certainly hurt that the Browns lost Mack and Schwartz, the Browns OL is not the worst in football. Using stats to prove your point does not paint a complete picture.

vers...you have the right to be wrong.

The Browns have the worst offensive line in the NFL...

Since the Browns offense relies on the pass 2/3s of the time, protecting our QB is more important when considering their performance.

This offensive line is, what it is.. OLine sacks/qb hits

The Browns offensive line is the worst in the NFL when it comes to protecting their QB...#1 is sacks given up...#1 in qb hits...and #1 (unofficially) in QBs butchered/injured.

V
Legend
Legend
V
That argument is as dumb as the one made in my thread where people are saying Wentz sucks by using stats. There is so much more to picture than pure stats.

You are not factoring in the scores of the games. You are not factoring in how long the qbs hold the ball. You are not factoring in if the receivers are open are not. You are not factoring in the effectiveness of a ground game. You mention it, but you seemingly are ignoring how often teams pass the ball.

It's a biased opinion and you are using a raw stat to make an absolute evaluation. It's dumb and annoying.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Memp...Erving is in his second season in the NFL and is probably more responsible for getting our QBs killed than any other lineman.

At the very least, the Boys need to draft a center. Then they need to take a strong look at where they stand at OT. Pasz is a below average OT...is that kind of quality you build a winning franchise on?

Coleman, a cancer survivor who still has not recovered from a knee surgery done in Jan 2016. The front office should be concerned about his dependability. You cannot pencil him in anywhere until he proves it on the field.

The situation with Joe Thomas should be a concern. His frustration at the front office is beginning to show and he could demand a trade or even retire at any time and it would not surprise me a bit.

I would take a serious look at drafting Cam Robinson, OT out of Alabama with the first pick. The the Browns will be set at OT for hopefully the next decade.

Last edited by mac; 11/23/16 10:32 AM.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
That argument is as dumb as the one made in my thread where people are saying Wentz sucks by using stats. There is so much more to picture than pure stats.

Argue with the freaking FACTS...and you think that is dumb.

I guess when you have nothing to point to in support of your position, you just claim that the response is dumb..according to "you"!

Did you even watch this offensive line against the Steelers?

They gave up 8 sacks and 13 QB hits...tell me, did the Browns OLine pass your eye test?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I guess when you have nothing to point to in support of your position, you just claim that the response is dumb..according to "you"!

They gave up 8 sacks and 13 QB hits...tell me, did the Browns OLine pass your eye test?

I did argue your position. You simply chose to ignore it. Here it is again:

You are not factoring in the scores of the games. You are not factoring in how long the qbs hold the ball. You are not factoring in if the receivers are open are not. You are not factoring in the effectiveness of a ground game. You mention it, but you seemingly are ignoring how often teams pass the ball.

M
Legend
Legend
M
But how is it "obvious" the Browns don't value the offensive line?

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

101...if offensive linemen were only judged on run blocking...but they are not.

If QBs only handed the ball off to rbs...but that is a minor part of a QBs job in Cleveland. The Browns pass the ball 2/3s of time, so we might want to consider an OLineman's complete performance, and not just the minor portion.

The Browns OLine now holds the #1 spot...the very worst offensive line when it comes to protecting their QB..leading in both sacks and QB hits. Unofficially, the Browns have ranked near the top all season in QB injuries.

This front office did not even try to keep Mack, believing that they held the answer to the Browns center position, when Cam Erving was drafted in 2015..after he played only 5 games at center (in college).

...sound judgement by the Harvard Boys?

Then there is the front office's bizarre decision to pull their offer to Schwartz. That decision and the way it was handled by the Browns should have cost someone their job..but the front sold it as Schwartz's fault and that the front office had already allocated their funding for the RT position to sign Alvin Bailey.

...was this sound judgement by the Harvard Boys?

The front office signed Bailey, who played both OT and OG for Seahawks.

Drafted (3rd) Shon Colman, OT, Auburn, who was a cancer survivor and was coming off of knee surgery. He has not started a game.

Drafted (5rd) Spencer Drango, OG, Baylor. who has started 3 games.

For 2016, this was the offensive line plan. Losing Mack and Schwartz and this is the way the Harvard Boys fix the mess they made of a good offensive line. They did save Cap Space and money...

What the Havard Boys built, WAS THE WORST OFFENSIVE LINE IN THE NFL.

The question becomes, did the Harvard Boys learn anything from their mistakes?...can you teach the Elite Thinkers anything about the basics in the game of football...or do they believe they have all the answers?

I believe these Boys will continue to put a very low priority on the offensive line, as long as they are completely in charge of the front office.

The only thing that is obvious is that you are judging a long term plan halfway through the first season and that you understand bashing front offices better than you understand football.

Last edited by DeputyDawg; 11/23/16 10:58 AM.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:

vers...every game I watch, I see QBs hang onto the ball too long and if they have a decent offensive line, they do not get beat up like the Browns QBs do.

It does not matter what QB we put in, either. If you watch the difference between a good OLine and a poor one...pay attention to how fast your OLine gives up ground.

That is a major problem with the Browns OLine..they are "weak" not strong enough to hold ground, so their first move is to give up a yard or two before the QB has even reached his full drop. In other words, the Browns pocket is collapsing so much quicker than your average OLine that the QB not only has less time to get a pass off, but he has a much smaller pocket to operate in.

...that is why the Browns QB hits are so high and it why our QBs are getting killed at a record rate.

This OLine is the worst I've seen in Cleveland for some time.

...and it must be addressed, or it will be more of the same, next season.

Got to draft a center and I would draft JT's replacement now, selecting Cam Robinson with the 1st pick.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
I see QBs hang onto the ball too long and if they have a decent offensive line, they do not get beat up like the Browns QBs do.

Then I am not sure that you understand what the definition of "too long" is.

Quote:
This OLine is the worst I've seen in Cleveland for some time.

...and it must be addressed, or it will be more of the same, next season.

You must have a very short memory because Thomas, Bitonio, and Greco are 3 of the best o-line players that we have had since the expansion and we have them all on the same team. We might be adding Reiter to that list next year as well. Granted we were even better with Mack and Schwartz, but we are nowhere near the worst o-line.

In 99 the starting oline was:
LT- 36 year old Lomas Brown
LG- Jim Pyne - who was decent, but we only had him for two seasons
C- Dave Wohlabaugh
RG - Scott Rehberg
RT - Orlando "Zeus" Brown- took a penalty flag to the eye and didn't even make it through the first season.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
[quote]I see QBs hang onto the ball too long and if they have a decent offensive line, they do not get beat up like the Browns QBs do.

Then I am not sure that you understand what the definition of "too long" is.

I was referring to "Too Long" by Browns standards...which is any amount of time past the first read..if our QB even gets to his first read.

Here is an example of a QB hanging on to the ball too long, but still having the time needed to complete his pass for a TD.

NOTE: click the video play button, then click the link "Watch on YouTube"

A Browns QB would settle for half that amount of time.

...and just so everyone knows how an offense like Dallas runs the ball and passes the ball like they do...this is as simple as I can make so everyone understands what the Browns front office needs to do...

NOTE: click the video play button, then click the link "Watch this video on YouTube"

Last edited by mac; 11/23/16 01:03 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Amazing! Pick one fluke play with blocking from the best o-line in football and set that as the standard to go by.

Any team in the NFL would be extremely happy with half of that 8 seconds that Prescott got on that play because 4 seconds is still about double what most QB's get. The NFL average is like about 2.28 seconds. None of our QB's are getting the ball out that quick.

This image is from the 2014 season. Open it in a new tab to see a bigger version.

Last edited by DeputyDawg; 11/23/16 01:40 PM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
vers...you have the right to be wrong.

mac...you crack me up...lol that was so funny. Not right to an opinion but a right to be wrong...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I agree with both you and mac to a certain extent. Our OL is neither as good as some make out (including some analytics sites) or as bad as others make out. I do think our OL may lead the league in stupifyingly bad looking plays, and they are pointed to enough that they become the narrative on the OL. Maybe it just seems that way because I don't read other teams message boards looking for their lowlights.

The OL does have good plays, but people haven't been posting clips of them.

I honestly think our biggest problem is that we aren't particularly cohesive. For a new system with a bunch of new players, it is to be expected. Our timing is terrible. The QB and receivers don't seem to have it which makes the line need to block longer on pass plays. The line and the RBs don't have particularly good timing which causes TFLs because they aren't where expected. Individual people do the same "play" differently, so you don't just have to know the play, but how the other guys are going to run it. We don't have that at all. I think individuals can do their job, but they don't know how each other are going to respond to different looks.

It's not necessarily a problem with the "plan" exactly, it's just inevitable when there is so much new.

You can plug a rookie into an established system and it can work (See Dallas). If the rest of the guys see things the same way and know what to do, that's something the rookie doesn't have to worry about. We didn't have experience in this system, and we have a bunch of rookies. It's not super surprising that it often looks like an uncoordinated mess. We aren't a "well-oiled machine." We're more of a prototype that still has a ton of kinks to work out.

I wish we would get something working before we going adding more to the system. If we were an assembly line, we're kind of trying to get the Lamborghini at the end of the line, when I'm not even sure we've got the frame designed properly yet.

I don't know if it's fair to lay the blame at either the FO or the coaching staff. They both have some blame, but there were a ton of problems they were faced with in the first place which they had little/no control over.

Anyone would need time to overcome those problems and get the kinks worked out. They should have a better understanding of the issues now at least. New people would have to start that figuring out all over again, and constant turnover is one of the problems that needs to be overcome.

I had definitely been hoping for better, but there was a pretty big mess to take over and try to clean up. Time and familiarity should help some next year. How much remains to be seen.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
Amazing! Pick one fluke play with blocking from the best o-line in football and set that as the standard to go by.

Any team in the NFL would be extremely happy with half of that 8 seconds that Prescott got on that play because 4 seconds is still about double what most QB's get. The NFL average is like about 2.28 seconds. None of our QB's are getting the ball out that quick.

dep...here is the point I'm making...the Browns front office now stands at a junction, whether to build a superior offensive line capable of exceptional play, such as run blocking well enough to have a top 10 RB in the NFL...

...and pass blocking well enough to protect their QBs from taking a physical beating and allowing them more than enough time to go through progressions?

Put a 4th round rookie QB and a first round RB behind the Cowboys offensive line and the production from those rookies might be good enough to compete in a Super Bowl.

Invest in the offensive line and the performance of your...
...wide receivers will improve,
...TEs will improve,
...RB play will improve,
...QB play will improve.

That would be an excellent return on investment, IMO. Does anyone doubt that Crowell and Duke would be more productive behind a better offensive line that could block like the Cowboys OLine?

If your QB has more time and is protected like the Cowboys OLine does, is there any doubt that the QB play would improve?

If the OLine gives their QB more time, is there anyone who doubts that our WR, TE and RB (pass catching) production would improve?

Teams like Pittsburgh and Dallas have done it for years, put a higher priority on their OLine and both teams have proven, over time, a higher priority on the OLine pays dividends in playoff appearances.

How hard is it to follow the offensive plan that other successful teams in the NFL use?

If this front office cannot follow a simple example that successful teams use, then there is little hope for the Browns under the Moneyballers.

Last edited by mac; 11/23/16 07:31 PM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
mac, the Browns were leading the league in rushing until NE figured out how to stymie the Brown's offense. That wasn't about the OL, it was about the QB.

I am NOT saying our OL is great, but we've seen far worse here in Cleveland and there are far worse lines in the NFL.

We need to upgrade the RT spot and we certainly need a new center. However, we have three very good pieces in Joe, Bitonio. and Grecco. Pazstor would be a great 6th guy, but even if he is our 5th best linemen, that wouldn't be all that bad.

Do we need to get better? Yes.

Are we the worst in the league? No, not even close. And using a limited stat data base only clouds the truth.

B
Legend
Legend
B
You guy just don't get the plan.

It may or may not work out, but you have to give it time. I don't know how happy I would be going back to 5 wins a season.

Some act like that is the goal.

It's been said that Patience is a virtue. I believe in that. Let's wait and see how it pans out.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Peen, not sure how much NBA you watch, but I feel like these guys want to do what the 76ers have done. Acquire as many picks as possible by being bad. Replace old guys like with young guys and see what sticks.

Try to find a core of guys who will grow and learn to battle through tough times.

V
Legend
Legend
V

B
Legend
Legend
B
I was alive in 1964. The year I got a drivers license as a matter of fact..I worked at Uncle Bill's, stocking and pushing buggies. I think I made $1.35 per hour. Maybe it was $1.25 per hour, cant remember. I do remember that after putting in maybe 20-25 hours a week I took home maybe $19-$22 dollars a week.

I was proud when I cashed that $45 paycheck. I had money in the pocket.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Except at the start of the season Sashi said this:
Quote:
“I think if anybody has been around our facility, they know how silly that is. We want to win, our expectation is (to win),” Brown said in a wide-ranging interview with reporters ahead of Cleveland’s preseason game against the Buccaneers on Friday.
“Just because we have a younger roster doesn’t mean we’re at all trying to lose. I hadn’t seen the comments but if that’s a perception, I would say that’s laughable. We’re all competitive guys, we understand a part of what we need to do is build a winning culture here and everything that we’ve talked about and worked toward is aimed at winning.
“And there are no seasons off or, for us, even reps off," he continued. "We want to compete every play and win every chance we get. We go into the season wanting to win 20 games, and getting a win this week is important to us.”

link

This tells me going winless was never part of the master plan. They made some big mistakes in evaluating what they had and now are scrambling for answers. They do have a lot of draft picks next year so they have a chance to salvage this mess, but their failures this year gives me very little hope that they will succeed.

Sadly I would take the years of 4-5 win seasons over not winning at all.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not me.

If you aren't first, you're last.

I think that long term this plan will lead to wins and if it takes some short term pain, so be it.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I was alive in 1964. The year I got a drivers license as a matter of fact..I worked at Uncle Bill's, stocking and pushing buggies. I think I made $1.35 per hour. Maybe it was $1.25 per hour, cant remember. I do remember that after putting in maybe 20-25 hours a week I took home maybe $19-$22 dollars a week.

I was proud when I cashed that $45 paycheck. I had money in the pocket.

really peen i worked at the point from 67 70 making like 90 cents an hr and working 80-90 hrs a week

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
What makes you think this plan will work?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
if we stick to building through the draft and keeping our own...why wouldn't it work?

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
B
Legend
Legend
B
I thought this a good read.

reasons: Doug Lesmerises

Sashi Brown, Hue Jackson, Paul DePodesta
Sashi Brown (left) and Paul DePodesta (right) made a plan and Hue Jackson (center) is in the midst of dealing with the first year of it. But you must understand what's happening here. (John Kuntz, cleveland.com)
Doug Lesmerises, cleveland.com By Doug Lesmerises, cleveland.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on November 23, 2016 at 9:00 AM, updated November 23, 2016 at 1:52 PM
shares
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Eleven losses into an 16-game season, many of the conversation points around the Browns continue to confuse.

If you disagree with this 0-11, your disagreement springs from March, not November. It revolves around choices in free agency, not losses on Sundays.

The points Joe Thomas and Terrelle Pryor made about a thinned-out offensive line letting Browns quarterbacks get hit? Valid. Those were smart criticisms, because they looked big picture, not just at the Sunday scoreboards. And no matter what Hue Jackson says, you want your best players in a lost season standing up and saying this is enough.

Players demanding accountability from the front office for the players in that locker room, while the front office looks to the future, can work together. It's healthy talk aimed at getting better.

It's part of how this winless season has value for the Browns, even if too many people are looking at it the wrong way.

But you can't sit down at this meal, then ask why the cook didn't replace the alternator in your car. Understand your surroundings. You can't refuse to acknowledge what you're dealing with.

Honestly, what are you pining for?

I've read some extreme reactions to this losing. It feels like people are longing for the good old days of 5-11 and 4-12 while staring down the barrel of an 0-16 season that is losing, but at long last, a different kind of losing.

Maybe everyone - fans and media - are just worn down. It's one thing to talk tanking in the spring, and another to live it in the fall. But this is it people. You should take it. But you have to understand it.

Here are 19 points to help you do that.

1. Jackson and the players are trying to win. They must. They are professionals and competitors and no one doubts their desire.

2. Winning this season is not the first priority of the front office. Is that really not obvious? You saw the four starters lost on the first day of free agency and the trades made to add future draft picks, right?

3. If you disagree with that idea and believe that every team every season should prioritize victory in the moment, then your argument ends there. You disagree with the whole idea.

4. Understand that 0-11 is the fruition of that idea, plus some bad injury luck. But you can't look at 0-11 as the failure of the plan when a season like this is part of the plan.

It's not about losing on purpose, it's about looking beyond 2016 from the start and not getting bogged down by the results of these 16 games.

5. The current 53-man roster includes 19 rookies and another 10 players with two seasons of experience or less.

6. Look at the 22 projected starters for Sunday's game vs. the New York Giants. How many are true starters for a winning team? Eleven, max. You aren't the only one who knows this. If you see it, the front office sees it.

7. Confused by the quarterback picture? Of course. Everyone's hurt, but the long-term answer almost certainly isn't here. A 37-year-old backup, an injury-prone free agent flyer and a third-round pick isn't a comprehensive quarterback plan.

You can't evaluate the quarterback future because it almost certainly isn't on the roster. But guess what drastic losing does? Enhances the chances of solving that problem.

8. The offensive line isn't playing well? Of course. Thomas and the injured Joel Bitonio are great NFL linemen. Other than that? Cam Erving, drafted by Ray Farmer, is critical here. Again, what Thomas and Pryor said about getting quarterbacks hurt is true. But there must be and will be new answers here next year.

9. This is a rebuild. This season is the re- part. Look for the build part next season, with the Browns holding 11 picks in the 2017 draft, including four in the first two rounds. Guess what those four picks are? Four starters. Plus there is plenty of salary cap room available.

10. Why does Jackson have to defend Sashi Brown for saying he's not focused on the wins and losses this year? We're all adults here (shout out to the kids reading this). We can deal in reality. Don't be offended by the words that express what anyone with eyes can see.

11. If you don't think Carl Nassib or Emmanuel Ogbah or Corey Coleman or Danny Shelton, etc., are showing signs of life as future players to count on, let's talk. Evaluating the young players who will be around is a huge part of this year. If the front office missed on some, or the coaches aren't developing them properly, then aim your analysis there.

12. If you're worried about guys who are clearly stopgaps missing tackles or blocks, what's your point? That they're not good enough? Or course they aren't good enough.

There are players helping to lose games right now who absolutely will not be here next year. So the poor performances of some of those players has nothing to do with the future.

13. Jackson isn't a winning coach this season, but he wasn't given a roster that could win. Evaluating him on the record makes no sense. Discipline, motivation, play-calling, second-half letdowns – all those are valid discussion points. But not the record.

Don't discount the frustration here. That's a real issues for the guys playing every week. Just keeping this team together may be enough to judge this season a success for Jackson. That's a price you have to pay for this plan, but they'll survive.

14. If you think the front office, one in place for 10 months and one that inherited a 3-13 team with no quarterback and a litany of failed first-round picks, has failed, what tells you that? It can't only be the record.

The play of the young players? Passing on Carson Wentz? OK, but you're walking out of the meal because you didn't like the font on the menu. You aren't even at the appetizers yet.

15. What are you pining for? What has been more successful than what's being tried now? Nothing.

16. It was suggested to me this week that a 5-11 or 4-12 record is better than 0-16 because it would mean you're closer to a winning record the following year.

What?

The Browns have been 4-12, 5-11 or 6-10 in 10 seasons since they returned. They have two winning seasons in that time.

17. If you think losing only leads to losing, then you have first-hand proof -- 5-11 leads to 5-11. What does 0-16 lead to? The Browns have never tried that, have never been willing to truly sacrifice a year of now with an eye toward the future.

That's what this is.

18. Many want to hold that historical lack of success against this group, that nearly two decades of 5-11 somehow makes 0-16 worse. If any group is ever going to succeed here, they have no choice but to ignore the past.

Fans, of course, can't do that. But you need to understand the decision makers can't factor in a past they weren't part of.

19. That doesn't mean this is guaranteed to work or that the front office deserves blind faith. We have no idea if this group can build a team.

But 0-11 that could be 0-16 isn't a sign they can't do it.

It tells us, definitively, that they're trying it a different way.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/11/the_browns_are_losing_of_cours.html#incart_m-rpt-2

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Squires
Except at the start of the season Sashi said this:
Quote:
“I think if anybody has been around our facility, they know how silly that is. We want to win, our expectation is (to win),” Brown said in a wide-ranging interview with reporters ahead of Cleveland’s preseason game against the Buccaneers on Friday.
“Just because we have a younger roster doesn’t mean we’re at all trying to lose. I hadn’t seen the comments but if that’s a perception, I would say that’s laughable. We’re all competitive guys, we understand a part of what we need to do is build a winning culture here and everything that we’ve talked about and worked toward is aimed at winning.
“And there are no seasons off or, for us, even reps off," he continued. "We want to compete every play and win every chance we get. We go into the season wanting to win 20 games, and getting a win this week is important to us.”

link

This tells me going winless was never part of the master plan. They made some big mistakes in evaluating what they had and now are scrambling for answers. They do have a lot of draft picks next year so they have a chance to salvage this mess, but their failures this year gives me very little hope that they will succeed.

Sadly I would take the years of 4-5 win seasons over not winning at all.

I do not believe the front office is trying lose all their games as evidence when Sashi talked about being disappointed if the Browns only won 4 games.

Sadly, what we have here is another example of a front office that greatly misjudged...they misjudged the impact of their own actions during free agency.

Cam Erving would step right in at center and Bailey, their free agent, who played both guard and OT for the Seahawks, would take over Schwartz's RT until Shon Coleman was ready to start.
...OR SOMETHING SIMILAR.

So now the Browns are 0-11 and some are still searching for the WHY?

The answer to the WHY is those in charge.."misjudged"..the quality of the talent lost in free agency and misjudged the quality of the talent needed to replace those who were lost in free agency.

I'm hopeful that this front office is being humbled a bit by the team's record and the part they have played in the team's performance.

The performance of the personnel on this roster, is a direct reflection upon the front offices' ability to judge football talent, in free agency and the draft.

I believe the performance of the Browns is exposing the weak link in the franchise. The front office's top two decision makers now have just under 3/4 of a year of experience, judging football talent and their team has not won a game.

The Browns have the most inexperienced front office in the entire NFL. Unless those in charge do something to correct the problem of inexperience by those at the top, I see little chance for improvement in the future.

Last edited by mac; 11/24/16 08:24 AM.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Great article. I think this gives good insight to the plan.....now, they just need to hit on the majority of the draft picks, just like any regime.

Doug Lesmerises used to cover the Buckeyes exclusively for the PD. Very happy they've expanded his role to cover the Browns...I like his writing.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Front Office...continued

Link Copied to Clipboard