Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E

The aim of this thread is to conduct a layman's evaluation and discussion of QBs by looking at games/game cut-ups.

All are welcome with the expectation that specific plays will be discussed.

UNC vs Georgia 2016

Under pressure plays: 17:32
1:02:45
1:46:20
1:49:05
2:27:21

muddy pocket: 18:50
46:48
2:14:57
2:25:25
2:28:03
2:32:40

deep passes: 19:56
34:48

Evasion plays: 21:57
1:02:45

Plus displays of arm talent: 18:52
1:06:00
1:47:00

Improvisation: 1:06:00
2:30:39

Plus progression/cov read: 1:02:45
1:06:00
2:12:54

Movement throw: 1:57:28
2:13:31
Run instincts: -

Tipped: 1:07:58
2:32:40
Throw Away: 1:08:33

Held ball/missed receiver:
Off backfoot: 1:02:45
Off target: 19:54
34:48
1:04:32
1:58:53
2:12:54 ? (receiver jumped for ball hard to see though) 2:25:25
2:25:54 (throw away or sailed)
2:30:39

Bad Decisions: 21:57
1:04:32
2:25:54 ? (stop the clock throw from coach? receiver open could have gained and stepped out of bounds) 2:30:39

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
I've met him in person and he has a lousy personality. I really hope Kizer never gets even close to being drafted by us.

When did you meet him and how old was he? What made him lousy?

I met him at Linebackers. It's the alumni bar for Notre Dame and so the team often comes in there to drink. I don't actually drink but my dad does so I go as a designated driver for him and his buddies.

He has that same arrogant attitude where he looks down on his team mates and the fans that Brady Quinn had. I mean it's one thing to be confident and full of yourself but it's another when you like to mock and look down on other people.

I met him last year a couple of times since the owner will give team free beer sometimes and they never ask the players for their ID. The owner of Linebackers is a cool dude. Pain in the butt to park there though.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He has that same arrogant attitude where he looks down on his team mates and the fans that Brady Quinn had. I mean it's one thing to be confident and full of yourself but it's another when you like to mock and look down on other people.

That's too bad to hear.

Hopefully he wakes up and sees the light. I mean, after-all, didn't Peyton Manning Teabag his trainer at UTenn?

But that's really too bad to hear. Especially since I was kind of hoping for Deshon to possibly be our Philly Pick (Not that that's who I want, but I'd like to look to see if he's an option)

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 12/23/16 06:10 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Are you guys gonna actually make any attempts at all to discuss any of the plays from the Georgia game?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Ya ... should get to it tomorrow ...

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Man, I don't know. I've watched a few cut ups of his games, and he just doesn't strike me as a "This kid is something special." kind of player. Good college QB? Seems like it. But, I'm not sure if it will translate to the NFL.

I personally don't feel he's first round material. Not with the talent in this year's draft that would be less of a risk/reward.

As I always say, if the Browns draft him, I hope he's the greatest QB, ever.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
Man, I don't know. I've watched a few cut ups of his games, and he just doesn't strike me as a "This kid is something special." kind of player. Good college QB? Seems like it. But, I'm not sure if it will translate to the NFL.

I personally don't feel he's first round material. Not with the talent in this year's draft that would be less of a risk/reward.

As I always say, if the Browns draft him, I hope he's the greatest QB, ever.

*LOL* ... u made me think of how astronomical the odds are that we have not hit on at least one qb since 1999 ... not one ... think about that ... 18 years and NOTHING ... not one even decent qb in the entire lot ... 17 years worth of crap minus a one hit wonder in DA (oh what a year that was) and a flash in the pan 1/2 year run to the playoffs by Holcomb ... THATS IT!!!!!!

And the proof we haven't even sniffed it ... whose gone on and done much anywhere else ... NO ONE .... DA has been DA as a back up in Carolina ... Hoyer's had a few good games .. thats basically it .. everyone else ... if not directly out of the league ... a very non distinct career hardly ever playing well followed by shortly, quietly being out of the league ... with no one even asking where there at ...

Thats been the one constant. Well other than the losing ... *L* ....

FACTORY OF SADNESS ...

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Man, I don't know. I've watched a few cut ups of his games...
Fair enough.

Are there any plays from either of the games being broken down in this thread (Duke and Georgia) that you want to discuss/address?

Because again the wistful and naïve hope for this thread was to discuss specific plays from the games.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Ed, I found myself primarily counting the seconds from snap to release for the Duke game cut up. I guess it was to get more of an idea on how he looked while in the pocket.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Ed, I found myself primarily counting the seconds from snap to release for the Duke game cut up. I guess it was to get more of an idea on how he looked while in the pocket.
Would be interested to see your thoughts.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: edromeo

Plus displays of arm talent: 18:52

Legend
Legend
Trubisky is my guy if we take a QB.

When looking at the QBs, Trubisky is the most ready from day 1. He has the best mechanics, pocket presence, and he makes the most reads. He doesn't have the same physical tools as Kizer, but I've seen Trub throw darts in tight coverage and he can throw it 50 yards off his backfoot. I feel he'd be at worst Alex Smith with a stronger arm. He can be a top 10 QB and can win a super bowl. Kind of in the Ryan / Eli / Flacco category (when they're playing great).

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
In the spirit of actual film breakdown; are there any actual plays from the Duke or Georgia game that stick out to you?

Last edited by edromeo; 12/28/16 10:03 AM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
All right Ed ... here's my breakdown on the Georgia game ...

17:52 - throws off back foot ... positive was the arm strength he displayed ... threw if from the hash to the opposite sideline off his back foot and it still had some zip on it ...

20:09 - innacurate throw to a wide open WR for a TD .. BAD ... VERY BAD ...

34:50 - overthrew another WR deep .. two misses and a back foot throw all ready ...

47:15 - wrong shoulder throw to another open WR down the field ...

1:03 and 50 secs - threw it out of bounds ... not good ... have to give the WR a chance ...

1:06 - very good play ... kept it alive with his scrambling and then made a very good strong throw ... this man has an arm that can cut through the wind here in Dec. ..

1:46 - threw it to the wrong reciever .. bad decision ..

1:59 - threw short over the middle ... should have been picked ..

2:15 and 10 secs - WOW PLAY .... sideline throw across field to opposite sideline ... 3rd and 9 play ... what an arm .... WOW .. it was an incomplete pass .. thats how good the throw was ...

2:26 - another innacurate throw .. threw it high to sideline ... ...

4th and 3 to end game .. HORRIBLE ... just as bad as the wow throw was good .. *L* ..

He did not look good at all in this game ... he threw off his back foot to much ... was very innacurate and made some bad decisions .. with that said ... u could still see the qualities he brings to the table that are positive ... arm strength, quick release and mobility, scrambling ability ... his accuracy was not on display today ... to inconsistent ..

BAD DAY ...

Your thoughts ed? ...

Legend
Legend
Something else to note Diam, Georgias HC is Kirby Smart who was Saban DC at Bama. They were a poor mans version of Alabama defensively.

Legend
Legend
Friday at 2, Trubisky plays in the Sun Bowl

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: candyman92
Something else to note Diam, Georgias HC is Kirby Smart who was Saban DC at Bama. They were a poor mans version of Alabama defensively.

In theory yes, but Georgia's defense was trash last year. Georgia normally has a tough defense, but that wasnt the case this past season.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Trubisky has the frame to take hits. I think he's strong enough to play QB in the NFL. You don't need to be built like Ben or Cam.

http://www.stack.com/a/watch-unc-qb-mitch-trubisky-hang-clean-325-pounds-and-then-lose-his-mind

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
I think its fair to say that there were some nerves and a general lack of being settled in. This was essentially his 1st game as 'thee' guy.

I forgot the throw @ 47:15; that makes 10 missed throws on my count to go along with 5 bad decisions. Granted some of the misses were on deep balls which by their nature are low % throws; but from a clean pocket want to see better only had 5 plays where he was under pressure.

Play 2:26 still can't decide whether it was off target or if he was throwing it out of bounds...

Definitely has a big arm. Couldn't gauge the helmet direction very well but I saw 4 plays that look like he checking the full progression.
He was able to evade or improvise on 8 plays.

Legend
Legend
Trubisky has the frame to take hits. I think he's strong enough to play QB in the NFL. You don't need to be built like Ben or Cam.

http://www.stack.com/a/watch-unc-qb-mitch-trubisky-hang-clean-325-pounds-and-then-lose-his-mind

Watson has the same frame, same height.

And he's better.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
In the spirit of actual film breakdown; are there any actual plays from the Duke or Georgia game that stick out to you?

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K

Bumping due to the serious possibility that this is our QB going forward.

Watched Stanford and the Bowl Game again.

That last drive his receivers boned him. I counted SIX DROPPED passes on excellent tosses.

Trubisky is every bit as Mobile as Aaron Rogers. He's built THICK.

He has an excellent arm and a better release.

Superb POISE and Pocket Awareness.

This dude is going to be GREAT.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: kwhip
...Watched Stanford and the Bowl Game again.
In the spirit of actual film breakdown hoped for in this thread; are there any specific plays from the game that stick out to you?

B
All Pro
All Pro
B

Play 2:26 still can't decide whether it was off target or if he was throwing it out of bounds...

...a little of both in that one if you know what I mean. I am not high on any QB coming out this year but always fun to look.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: Swish

Watson has the same frame, same height.

And he's better.

So you're saying Watson can do this same feat of strength? Can you back that up with anything? I mean a QB moving around that kind of weight is pretty darn rare so would love it if you could prove it about Watson too... Otherwise how can you possibly think they are the same considering what is being talked about here.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
Did you not see Watson take those hits against Alabama in the title game?

Back it up? Watch the game, dude. Watson has the same height and weight measurements, and yet put up 1000 yards rushing the 2015 season, and a ton of more yards this season as well.

Honestly it's gotten to the point you're hating him just to hate. Watson is more athletic than Trubisky while having the same build.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
You don't follow conversations well at times swish.

Candyman says, "I think he's strong enough to play QB in the NFL."

We are talking about lifting up 325 pounds of weight. This requires a certain amount of strength that goes beyond appearances.

To which I said, "So you're saying Watson can do this same feat of strength? Can you back that up with anything? I mean a QB moving around that kind of weight is pretty darn rare so would love it if you could prove it about Watson too."

There is no hate in that statement. I don't hate Watson. I said I would love to see you show Watson doing the same kinds of feats of strength because you say they are the same while we are talking about lifting weights to show how strong the player is.

So back it up by showing something that says, Watson can do the same thing. Maybe he can for all I know. I didn't make the claim that they are the same...you did.

Again I don't have any hate in me for any of these QBs. How in the world could I possibly know them well enough to love or hate them. That's just silly to me. There are things I don't like about Watson's game but I backup my observations with film breakdown and lengthy discussion that I always try to keep civil for the most part. So, I object to you saying crap like, "Honestly it's gotten to the point you're hating him just to hate." I think your out of line by saying that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think "strength" is overrated at QB. Brady Quinn could move the weights coming out of college. Tom Brady looked like he kind of had the physique of a middle schooler.

At positions that are regularly engaged in contact, "strength" is obviously more important.

I'm not sure how much Watson lifts in the weight room, but he seems to have the leg drive to finish runs through defenders on tape. He's also taken some pretty good hits and bounced back up no problem.

Here's a link to a video of him in the weight room if you're into that sort of thing:

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/06/11/watch-deshaun-watson-kill-it-in-the-weight-room/

I worry more about a QBs ability to throw the ball and read defenses. I'm not so concerned about his physical capability as far as being able to give an O-Lineman a piggyback ride.

I think Watson passes any athletic/physical threshold that is required of a QB in the NFL.

As far as throwing the ball and reading defenses, the jury is still out to me. I'm warming a little, but it's hard to tell without being in the meeting room.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Nice post grimm. Do you know how much weight that is? I can't read the numbers on the plates for some reason.

Here is a rookie badddd arse qb lifting weights. Jebus he is strong for a QB! Guess that's why his name is Jalen Hurts. Either he hits hard or his back is killing him lol!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3MYx64Ytkc&feature=youtu.be

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I had the same problem trying to make out the weight.

Fiercely Independent.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
They are either 25s for for a mere 150 or 35s for a respectable 210. Still nothing near or the "same" as Trub.

For trub to be able to lift 352 plds that means he is going to be a wee little bit hard to take down.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
You will NEVER EVER EVER hear me say take a QB that has so few starts in College. EVER.

I'm huge on the games started thing. Preferably in the 35 games range with great accuracy.

BUT.

Just looking at Trubisky, he just spews NFL QB to me. Very few in the past have hit me like that. Two notables are the obvious one in Luck. The other was Rivers at NC State. Awkward throwing motion and all. It was the Ohio State game that year that locked me in.

ED. I just don't have the time to breaking down play by play on anyone.

BUT.

That last drive against Stanford tells me everything I needed to know and confirm. This dude is Mr. Cool in the pocket under the gun in the 4th quarter trailing.

If we like him, TAKE HIM. This all pending if we go after Garoppolo, which I hope we do.

Take a shot. We positioned ourselves with extra picks. We also have the 12 pick. We have 2 2nd rounders. USE them if we see a QB we love.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I could be as WRONG on Trub's as many were on Mettenberger.

My HOPE is that these other QB needy teams make moves in FA and get scared away because of that lack of college games started.

Also fall in love with Watson and Kiser and Trubisky is sitting there at 12.

Garrett and Trubisky at 1 & 12 is a DREAM come true.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Also fall in love with Watson and Kiser and Trubisky is sitting there at 12.

Garrett and Trubisky at 1 & 12 is a DREAM come true.

I think all three will be gone by 12, maybe Kizer remains, but we'll see. Lots of teams need QBs, don't have one and there's usually a rush on them in the top 15.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They are either 25s for for a mere 150 or 35s for a respectable 210. Still nothing near or the "same" as Trub.

For trub to be able to lift 352 plds that means he is going to be a wee little bit hard to take down.

Do you have any examples of him being hard to take down from the film?

I don't remember many broken tackles by him. He has a few while running, but I don't recall him shrugging guys off in the pocket.

I recall many more instances of Watson shrugging off arm tackles in the pocket, and I think he has superior balance and body control.

Fiercely Independent.
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
There are some:

7:07 from the Duke game,

From my game notes though, I have more example of evasion, improvisation and plus running ability from Watson then Trubs.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I saw some in the bowl game, too. More of the evasion/slipping variety than "strength." I honestly just thought correlating ability to hang clean and being "hard to take down" wasn't the best comparison, especially when one somehow twisted it into a knock on Watson.

While trying to check out Mitch's ability to break tackles, I did think he displayed pretty good ability to manipulate the pocket and avoid the rush.

It did look like he could use more seasoning though. Those two picks to Stanford's SS were killer. His receivers did let him down a bit with some drops.

Fiercely Independent.
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
I guess for me it never really mattered how a QB evades, (i.e. by strength or elusiveness) or how they improvise it only matters to me that they can......and how often they effectively make those plays.

Last edited by edromeo; 01/25/17 10:26 PM.
Legend
Legend
What site do you use to create gifs?

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
The only reason Trub lifting big heavy weights means anything is that bigger, stronger muscles tend to be more DENSE. Muscles that are more dense can cause a bit of an armor effect that protects against injuries aka he can take a bigger hit.

That being said, no matter how big you are if you get hit the right way things will break no matter how big and bad arse you are.

A player with really strong legs can be much harder to take down with a tackle though so Trub will enjoy that as an advantage transitioning to the NFL. After all its better to start off stronger than weaker =)

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Film Breakdown: Mitch Trubisky

Link Copied to Clipboard