Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E

The aim of this thread is to conduct a layman's evaluation and discussion of QBs by looking at games/game cut-ups.

http://draftbreakdown.com/

http://noonkick.com/team/clemson/

All are welcome with the expectation that specific plays will be discussed.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
The 1st game for this project is Deshaun Watson vs Auburn.

Other games will be chosen based on interest and availability.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Plays that stood out:

10s
18s
33s
44s
1:26
1:34
1:57
2:22
2:38
2:58
3:09
3:29
3:57
4:04
4:24
4:34
4:58
5:26
5:52
6:01
6:18
6:30
6:46
6:54
7:40
7:59
8:49
9:08
9:28
9:52
10:08

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I think watsan makes too many sloppy passes but makes up for his lack with great mobility and running ability. He is also lucky to get bailed out a bit by some nice receivers. I think he will have a tough time adjusting to the NFL receiving windows and speed of the game. He does have nice confidence though so if he works hard he might be able to overcome his shortcoming if he lands with the right team.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
couple key points:

2nd throw of the game, was that a design play to purposely underthrow it? cause that back shoulder throw was amazing if it was indeed intended, because the DB has blanket coverage on the WR. #7 is the only good dude for this game.

followed that up with back to back late, behind the receiver/RB throws.

the first scramble was ok. he planted his foot and that burst was amazing to get the 1st, didn't like him taking that shot though

come the 2nd back shoulder throw...i'm noticing that the receivers aren't getting a whole lot of separation from the DB's in general.

so my question is this: is his WR's not that good, or are the DB's for auburn pretty good?

8:53 mark. Candy was talking about a QB staying in there and delivering a pass knowing hes gonna get hit. well there's your evidence.

So, one thing that bothers me is every single passing down he's in the shotgun. that's not his fault because he's not designing schemes, but you have to wonder how hard the transition to being under center more will be.

the other thing i noticed was how bad his o line is a pass protection. that being said, he stepped into the pocket on some throws, and scrambled for a first down on others. the designed runs weren't the greatest of executions.

the back shoulder throws....come on. those were beautiful. imagine him with Pryor doing those.

also, Watson had at least 2 passes for TD's that were simply dropped by #7. one fade route, the other an absolute laser on a slant route. can be argued for another fade route in the back of the end zone if that was catchable.

but he showed he could make any throw. he threw deep, he was hitting those 10-15 yard routes with ease.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
I think watsan makes too many sloppy passes but makes up for his lack with great mobility and running ability. He is also lucky to get bailed out a bit by some nice receivers.
Which plays are you talking about?

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: Swish
...So, one thing that bothers me is every single passing down he's in the shotgun. that's not his fault because he's not designing schemes, but you have to wonder how hard the transition to being under center more will be.
That's gonna be the case for nearly every QB prospect though.

Legend
Legend
0:05 - Simple Slant; One of the most important routes of football, and lands it perfectly.

0:20 - follows that with a not so good slant that should have been a turnover

0:40 - Not great accuracy while on the move with a short dump off to HB. That has to be completed! Wont criticize too much though bc Clemson's offense has a ton of dump offs, and he does well with most of them. Point is, consistency is everything.

1:52 - accurate slant

2:02 - accurate out route, although low.

3:02 - perfect mid slant throw

4:07 - good accurate throw

4:37 - for tight man coverage, I thought that was a great throw, the WR just got held.

5:15 - simple NFL throw; Those type of routes keep the chains moving.

6:15 - short out route; perfect accurate pass.

7:42 - great pass under pressure and on the run.

8:27 - another good slant. Should have been an easy TD.

8:51 - BEST THROW and PLAY to put the dagger in the chest!! Perfect throw under pressure and it was still a thing of beauty!!!! 3rd and goal from the 18 and converted for TD!!

9:53 - Not a great pass, and at this point in the game, every completion is super important. Can't blame it all on Watson though.

10:10 - Makes up for the previous play by making a great pass. Back shoulder throws were on point the entire game.

Overall, a good game by Watson.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
Legend
Legend
D
1st series pretty much showcased why I want NOTHING to do with him ...

Innacurate even on the 2nd completion ... then on at least 2 of the other throws ... including what should been an easy completion while on the move ,,,

One should have been picked while at the same time trying to get his wr killed .. *L* ...

4th down play he should have just told the LBer where to go stand as opposed to just staring his wr down ...

2:30 back shoulder throw his first nice pass of the game IMO ,, and that was real nice ...

The last series of the half was the exact opposite of the 1st series ... he was getting to his 1 on 1 match ups and was accurate as hell ... good decisions and above avg. accuracy ...

2nd half wasn't very good either ... very innacurate ... back shoulder throws were very good ... slant in end zone dropped was a nice throw ... td pass was GREAT ... GREAT touch and accuracy ...

Overall he was way to inconsistent, innacurate and made some really bad decisions ...

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Clemson vs Auburn 2016

Under pressure plays: 10, 33, 43, 241, 328, 357, 617, 656, 800, 848,
muddy pocket: 126, 134, 258, 433, 953, 1007

Evasion plays: 38, 241, 258, 423, 739, 928
Plus displays of arm talent: 10,220, 310, 331, 458, 531, 630, 800, 848, 1007
Improvisation: 739
Plus progression/cov read: 258, 357, 408, 458, 1007
Movement throw: 33, 739, 909
Run instincts: 601

Held ball/missed receiver: 18
Off backfoot: 848
Off target: 18, 33, 126,134?, 157, 357, 408, 617
Bad Decisions: 43, 126, 656
Tipped: 712

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
A few things I noticed, Auburn was the first game of the season they have a good defense and brought the pressure early and often. He got hit a lot and didn't flinch.

Watson displays plus arm talent as displayed on the play you mention at 8:51 under pressure off the backfoot corner route from the 28 yd to near the back of the endzone math ain't my thing but its a long throw in the air.

He has a strong arm and good downfield throwing ability, I think he has above average arm strength but not elite.

Early on in the game he was spraying the ball, missed some gimme throws but settled down. After that still missed a couple that were caught.
Put on a clinic of backshoulder passes, showed evasion to escape from pressure.

A few throw that stood out to me apart from the backshoulders:
3:00 into the middle of the field, w/ anticipation
3:57 working progression
4:58 works full field progression
10:07 full field

9:53 is tough to see, it looks like the WR slipped...

Last edited by edromeo; 12/19/16 09:00 PM.
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: Swish
so my question is this: is his WR's not that good, or are the DB's for auburn pretty good?
Auburn has a good defense.

You mention something that draft people usually don't talk about. Mike Williams doesn't always separate by a wide margin. But he makes up for it with ability to adjust to the ball. That's why the back shoulder connection with Watson works well.

Quote:
the other thing i noticed was how bad his o line is a pass protection. that being said, he stepped into the pocket on some throws, and scrambled for a first down on others.
I'm not sure if the OL is bad or that Auburn has one of the best pass rushers in the nation and blitz a lot.

Quote:
...can be argued for another fade route in the back of the end zone if that was catchable...
You mean the throw at 6:30 mark? Talk about putting the ball in a spot where only your guy can get it.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E

Clemson vs Auburn 2016

Under pressure plays: 10, 33, 43, 241, 328, 357, 617, 656, 800, 848,
muddy pocket: 126, 134, 258, 433, 953, 1007

Evasion plays: 38, 241, 258, 423, 739, 928
Plus displays of arm talent: 10,220, 310, 331, 458, 531, 630, 800, 848, 1007
Improvisation: 739
Plus progression/cov read: 258, 357, 408, 458, 1007
Movement throw: 33, 739, 909
Run instincts: 601

Held ball/missed receiver: 18
Off backfoot: 848
Off target: 18, 33, 126,134?, 157, 357, 408, 617
Bad Decisions: 43, 126, 656
Tipped: 712

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: edromeo
Clemson vs Auburn 2016
Plus progression/cov read: 1007

Legend
Legend
When I watch Watson I see Mike Williams, Jordan Leggett, Artavis Scott, Deon Cain, and a great possession guy in Renfrow. It's probably not fair, but I can't look past the talent he has to throw to.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
In the spirit of actual film breakdown; are there any actual plays from the Auburn game that stick out to you?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Some specifics from the Auburn game ...

:15 - bad throw about 25 yards downfield ... very inaccurate ... bailed out by wr ...

:22 - bad throw on short slant .. should have been picked and he could have killed his WR ..

:35 - bad throw on the move avoiding rush ... ball traveled about 10 yards and the back couldn't even get his hands on the ball .. BRUTAL ...

:50 - 4th and 5 ... telegraph much? .. he should have just moved the LBer over pre-snap .. *L*

1:30 - threw it out of bounds ... give your wr a chance ..

He STUNK in the first Q .. and i mean STUNK!!!

2:25 - great back shoulder throw .. WOW ...

3:40 - great "throw away" ... avoiding rush he threw to a spot where it was either going to be a TD for Clemson or an incomplete pass ... nice throw away ..

Very impressive drive right before the half .. except for the pass that should have been picked off .. *L* ... it was a real nice drive minus that one pass ...

7:00 - just threw it up for grabs ... no problem with the fact it was 1 on 1 ... but u can't just "throw" it up for grabs ... needs to have better ball placement as opposed to just heaving it ...

Watch the play ... you'll see what i mean .. i didn't describe it very well ..

7:45 - nice job avoiding pressure ... good enough throw on move for completion while avoiding the sack ..

9:00 - nice td toss off back foot ... los was the 20 .... his best play of the game .. very nice job ..

10:10 - nice back shoulder throw to ice the game ... big time throw in a bigtime spot ...

Not impressed at all .. he stunk for the entire first half until the last drive ... 2nd half was better but still way to inconsistent ...

This game was a great example of why I wouldn't touch Watson until late rnd 2 at the earliest ...

Hes way to inconsistent and not accurate enough for me ...

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
:15 - bad throw about 25 yards downfield ... very inaccurate ... bailed out by wr ...
I don't think this throw was inaccurate at all. Lawson hops around the RT w/ ease Watson throws a 25 yard back shoulder under pressure.

Quote:

1:30 - threw it out of bounds ... give your wr a chance ..
I have that as a bad throw and a bad decision. The dude isn't open, and IF you throw that ball you gotta throw it behind him. Although I think the throw he made is better then throwing it inside the field of play.

Quote:
..it was a real nice drive minus that one pass ..
which pass?

Quote:

7:00 - just threw it up for grabs ... no problem with the fact it was 1 on 1 ... but u can't just "throw" it up for grabs ... needs to have better ball placement as opposed to just heaving it ...
I have that has a bad decision, have to add it the off target list...I think he was expecting the RB to accelerate past the DB. But the RB never gets even with the DB; after the jam the DB gets on top of him.

Quote:
Not impressed at all .. he stunk for the entire first half until the last drive ... 2nd half was better but still way to inconsistent ...
No doubt he got off to a slow start. First game of the season and Auburn came out the gate with pressure. But once he settled in he made several 'plus' throws. And of course he brings the evasion/improvisation and running ability to the table. He's mainly works half-field reads although you can see his helmet flip fields on occasion like in the gif image from one of the previous posts.

I'm surprised to read 'not impressed at all' after reading your comments. Watson combination of back shoulder throws and downfield throws while under duress alone I thought merit at least some degree being impressed.*shrugs*anywho.....

Quote:
Hes way to inconsistent and not accurate enough for me ...
What is your cutoff in terms of inconsistency/accuracy? Is it qualitative or quantitative.

Since its fresh in my mind for comparison sake I have 8.5 inaccurate throws and 3 bad decisions for Watson in vs Auburn the #8th defense in NCAA (by FBO).
In the Georgia game I have 9.5 inaccurate throws and 5 bad decisions for Mitch vs Georgia the 38th rated defense.

Either way, thank you for this. We might be the only 2 doing the breakdowns, lol. I like reading/seeing other peoples point of view on film.

Last edited by edromeo; 12/28/16 06:50 PM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I enjoy others points of view also ... i figured Vers would play also .. guess not ... the others .. i wasn't so sure about and had no expectations ... but ... if its just u and I ... so be it ...

On the first throw .. if by back shoulder unless u meant way short and somewhat in the vicinity were going to have to agree to disagree ... *L* ... i thought that was a bad throw ...

I'll have to go watch again and let u know what pass ... i thought he threw one that could have been picked on the drive before the end of the half .. it may have been a different drive ... i'll let u know ..

I'm a qualitative kind of guy ... trust my eyes way more than the stats .. haven't u noticed? .. *LOL* ...

We'll just have to disagree on our final conclusions ... he was way to innacurate for me ... way to inconsistent ... he was pretty bad in the 1st half ...

Mitch didn't play well against Georgia either ... no doubt ... not a good game ... still have lots more film to watch on Mitch .. i may end up in the same place with Mitch as i have DeShaun "Swish" Watson .. *LOL* ... we'll see ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I plan on jumping in but not much time until after the first of the year.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
...I'm a qualitative kind of guy ... trust my eyes way more than the stats .. haven't u noticed? .. *LOL* ...
I'm qualitative when it comes to the whole evaluation. But, when I'm charting the games the stats are from my eyes. So, for me I take count of my observations to avoid being biased. And I use the "stats" for baseline comparison. That way I can know at glance...how many more errant throws is prospect Y making in comp to prospect X and Z or how many more improvisational plays does prospect Y make compared to prospect Y etc....

Quote:
We'll just have to disagree on our final conclusions ... he was way to innacurate for me ... way to inconsistent ... he was pretty bad in the 1st half ...Mitch didn't play well against Georgia either ... no doubt ... not a good game ... still have lots more film to watch on Mitch .. i may end up in the same place with Mitch as i have DeShaun "Swish" Watson .. *LOL* ... we'll see ...
I Look forward to it. I'm taking some leave so i'll be chruning through some of these draft cut-ups across the board...For me, I couldn't deem Watson as 'way too innacurate' and not say the same about Mitch based on the number of throws they missed.

Lol, "Swish" Watson, I figured he would be more active though....I'm on to the next game....?

D
Legend
Legend
D
I got some time today ...

Since no one else is playing ... u wanna just go game by game on their schedules and see how there play progresses through out the year or u just want to pick one ...

Let me know ... let me know ASAP or i'm gonna go pick one in the next hour or so and do it .. *L* ...

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Going game by game would be too many games for me.....I want to keep ~4 games? best, worst, average...

I believe noonkick has every game Clemson game...

It doesn't matter to me...maybe choose games vs the better rated defenses?

Last edited by edromeo; 12/29/16 04:51 PM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
They both played Pitt and there both on the 10 minute site ... so i pick that one .. *L* ..

I'm gonna go watch Watson vs Pitt ...

Just so u know .. i'll watch every game of Mitch's ... i saw most if not all of Watson's games live ..

Ok .. on to Watson vs Pitt ...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'll try to play as I am on a mini-vacation now.....give me until tomorrow to post.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Pfft ... who left the door open ... *L* ...

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
I should get mine done this evening. Could post tonight...unless someone else wants to lead...

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Quote:
Sounds great! I am often way too lazy to post videos and stuff. I just watch and observe and sometimes take notes since it usually just for myself that I watch video.
Originally Posted By: Me
I am going to post and chart the Clemson v Ohio state game in the QB breakdown thread.

I look forward to which plays you point to that illustrate your opinions.
Quote:
I see Watson miss a lot of his throws where he is asked to lead the WR with the ball. I see the WR having to stop and just turn backwards a LOT. It 's not good. I really saw a lot of it when Clemson played Ohio State. I mean to me when you take away his running ability, the passing ability is not all that great to me.

Are you gonna take the lead and post the plays you mentioned in the other thread? Or should I post mine first?

Last edited by edromeo; 01/23/17 02:56 PM.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:
Sounds great! I am often way too lazy to post videos and stuff. I just watch and observe and sometimes take notes since it usually just for myself that I watch video.
Originally Posted By: Me
I am going to post and chart the Clemson v Ohio state game in the QB breakdown thread.

I look forward to which plays you point to that illustrate your opinions.
Quote:
I see Watson miss a lot of his throws where he is asked to lead the WR with the ball. I see the WR having to stop and just turn backwards a LOT. It 's not good. I really saw a lot of it when Clemson played Ohio State. I mean to me when you take away his running ability, the passing ability is not all that great to me.

Are you gonna take the lead and post the plays you mentioned in the other thread? Or should I post mine first?

Go ahead and make yours first bud since I only plan to point a few things out and the other readers should have your more detailed post first. I will prob get in done in the next day or two as time allows me.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E

Last edited by edromeo; 01/23/17 07:20 PM.
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
For me part of the point of the breaking down a prospect is to point out more then a few points. Picking out only a few play from an entire game flirts dangerously close to cherry picking. I think its important to know how often a good play or bad play is made in relation to the total amount of plays.

Otherwise we're kinds just shooting from the hip.

anyhow, i'm not gonna do all the heavy lifting alone if no one else is going to.....

03s
36s
47s
109s
128s
346s
407s
417s
453s
500s
703s

Gimme plays:
103s
145s
206s
300s
309s
338s
355s
533s
545s
1137s
1143s

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
First pass it looks like the WR fell down so that's not his fault. Nice play by CB though.

Second pass was a nice throw with good velocity on a quick read and pass.

Third pass his stance is too wide and he is twisting his body to throw it instead of stepping into the pass and thus a wild and sloppy throw due to bad technique.

4th pass is another single read quick pass. The wr just stops and sits after coming back to the ball. This was designed this way but if they hit in stride it's a lot better play.

5th pass again with the body twist instead of stepping into the throw. The wr makes the catch after having to fight for it. Please note he has to run facing backwards instead of having the ball drop into the basket while he is on the run.

6th pass he has his feet in a very wide stance and hopping around for another wild throw due to bad technique. It was a zone throw that was simply missed.

7th pass this time he does a good job stepping into his throw for another designed run to a spot and turn to the receiver throw.

8th pass He makes a very nice throw on the run showing his passing skills while mobile. He makes a nice run for the TD on a designed run to follow up.

9th pass a simple screen pass that was a bad call by the OC

10th pass another screen pass after several run plays.

11th pass again with the wide foot stance but he doesn't put any arc to his pass to get it over the defender so it gets tipped and even if he hadn't the WR was already having to stop and come back to the ball yet again.

12th pass a simple screen pass again

13th pass he takes off and makes a poor pass in the general area of a WR.

14th pass he steps into his throw but this time he is asked to drop it in a bucket instead of turn back pass. He overthrows and it's intercepted. To be fair Hooker is a darn beast! lol

15th pass he makes a one read fast throw that was put in the only place he could. It was almost intercepted though and a very dangerous throw to make into such heavy traffic.

run: A very nice designed run play here and kudos to him for finding a safe way to end the run. very well played.

16th pass another screen pass

17th pass another screen pass

18th pass nice tech as he fully steps into his throw, he under throws it a little bit as you can see the WR has to reach back instead of it being thrown in the bucket. WR makes a great catch and TD.

19th pass again he twists instead of stepping into his pass and the WR is coming back for the ball due to tight coverage by the defender.

20th pass He does a nice job of reading the field and making a short pass over the middle. Nice play.

21st pass the pass looked be a bit high but the WR fell down so was prob a good thing.

22nd pass by far one of his best plays because he reads the field, steps up into empty space and makes a nice short pass but again it's to a guy standing there and facing him. I'm aware its by design but man they do this a LOT.

23rd pass ball is batted down due to poor blocking so not watson fault imho.

24th pass a nice short pass but again it's to a guy standing there and facing him.

25th pass he is asked to lead the WR and can't get it done yet again. It's well covered but the WR never had a chance at it.

26th pass he makes a nice short slant pass that shows at least on short passes he can lead the WR.

27th pass short pass off a one read quick throw

28th pass he gets sacked in the redzone but no one was open. He should have thrown it away.

29th pass another screen pass

30th pass he throws it like a basketball fade and the wr is forced to twist backwards to catch the ball and can't catch it as he gets hit trying to catch it.

31st pass sacked but its a poor block that is not watson's fault IMHO.

Running TD again

32nd pass bad pass is deflected

pass turns into a scramble and then a run but nice play too bad for the penalty

33rd pass another screen pass

34th pass a nice short pass but again it's to a guy standing there and facing him.

35th pass a very overthrow deep pass

36th pass good job avoiding the sack and throwing it away.

37th pass no one open and he runs with,

A LOT OF SCREEN PASSES
A LOT OF COMEBACK/ZONE PASSES
VERY FEW PASSES TO LEAD THE WR
VERY INACCURATE MID TO DEEP PASSING
HE NEEDS TO FIX HIS FOOTWORK SO HE IS THROWING INTO HIS STEP MORE INSTEAD OF TWISTING HIS WAIST FROM A STAND

They relied a LOT on YAC from very short passes. He was terrible at dropping passes into a bucket for deeper passes and all the WR actively look backwards first instead of looking for the ball to be where they are running to.

Run route. Stop. Wait for ball. Basically kiddy throws for the QB.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
sorry i made my post before i read your timestamps I hope it is clear enough for you. lol tired now so gonna go rest a bit it's been a long day. I will pop on and off.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Hey, appreciate the breakdown; i have one quick note that is helpful for breaking down plays: if you use time stamps e.g. 309 - then it makes it a lot easier for everyone to refer to the same play.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Sorry mate I don't often have the time or energy to do one of these ^^ still its play by play for those who will watch the whole film. feel free to copy and paste with time stamps if you like. Thank you for posting the video.

Last edited by Razorthorns; 01/23/17 07:30 PM.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
...okay....if there is a next time the time stamps make it easier for everyone and it doesn't take anymore time or energy then what you spent putting together your breakdown.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
A LOT OF SCREEN PASSES
HE NEEDS TO FIX HIS FOOTWORK SO HE IS THROWING INTO HIS STEP MORE INSTEAD OF TWISTING HIS WAIST FROM A STAND
I'm not sure how much college football you watch but they all throw screen passes. Trubs by way of comparison throws a ton of screen passes.

How many passes do you expect to see where he "leads" the receiver? Are there passes from this game where you think he should have lead the receiver but didn't?
Actually the first pass of the game was an anticipation route that he threw before the receiver was out of his break.

Inaccurate deep. We should discuss what you saw on these deep passes. Did he miss open receivers? Or was giving a chance to well covered receivers? Not all incompletions are equal, just like not all completions are equal.

But there is no doubt Watson, who btw is a very good deep ball passer*, didn't connect on the deep ball in the OU game. Sometimes the coverage gets a vote. I wouldn't take his lack of connection with the deep ball in this game as indicative of his deep ball ability overall.

Originally Posted By: PFF
Deshaun Waston was the sixth-most-accurate QB on deep targets this season.

Being able to stretch the field does wonders for an offense, and Watson is one of the best in the nation at throwing deep. Among QBs with at least 50 deep attempts (passes traveling 20-plus yards in air), Watson ranks sixth in adjusted completion rate, at 49.4 percent, and his numbers improved as the season went on.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-3-stats-that-define-deshaun-watsons-game/

I've found footwork to be too subjective to discuss in this forum. But, I didn't see footwork issues to warrant it being a labeled as a flaw that need fixed. Suffice it to say agree to disagree. Because if you knock Watson for throwing off his back foot, then when you get to Trubs films you're gonna see a lot more.

Originally Posted By: Razor
but when it gets to the point that there isn't enough patience to wait for WRs to get open and the QB is just taking off after a short wait or the first or second read is covered then it starts to become a problem. One of the reasons Watson has so many interceptions is that he lacks patience.
Which if any/plays from the Ohio State play support the above?

Last edited by edromeo; 01/23/17 08:29 PM. Reason: took me a while to find a the quote
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
First pass it looks like the WR fell down so that's not his fault. Nice play by CB though.

36s I think its important to note that he goes through progression from left to right before hitting #7 in stride to gain YAC.

Third pass his stance is too wide and he is twisting his body to throw it instead of stepping into the pass and thus a wild and sloppy throw due to bad technique.
55s
Don't see any issues with his footwork or throwing motion on this throw. I don't think the throw was wild or sloppy. The receiver is covered. #8 did not separate from his CB at all. I consider this a safe and purposeful overthrow.

Also, if you can zoom w/ your phone or computer and enlarge the gif for this play...you can again see Watson calmly work through his progression from left to right; he resets and throws in rhythm.

Last edited by edromeo; 01/23/17 08:44 PM.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
A LOT OF SCREEN PASSES
I'm not sure how much college football you watch but they all throw screen passes. Trubs by way of comparison throws a ton of screen passes.

How many passes do you expect to see where he "leads" the receiver? Are there passes from this game where you think he should have lead the receiver but didn't?
Actually the first pass of the game was an anticipation route that he threw before the receiver was out of his break.

Inaccurate deep. We should discuss what you saw on these deep passes. Did he miss open receivers? Or was giving a chance to well covered receivers? Not all incompletions are equal, just like not all completions are equal.

But there is no doubt Watson, who btw is a very good deep ball passer*, didn't connect on the deep ball in the OU game. Sometimes the coverage gets a vote. I wouldn't take his lack of connection with the deep ball in this game as indicative of his deep ball ability overall.

Originally Posted By: PFF
Deshaun Waston was the sixth-most-accurate QB on deep targets this season.

Being able to stretch the field does wonders for an offense, and Watson is one of the best in the nation at throwing deep. Among QBs with at least 50 deep attempts (passes traveling 20-plus yards in air), Watson ranks sixth in adjusted completion rate, at 49.4 percent, and his numbers improved as the season went on.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-3-stats-that-define-deshaun-watsons-game/

I've found footwork to be too subjective to discuss in this forum. But, I didn't see footwork issues to warrant it being a labeled as a flaw that need fixed. Suffice it to say agree to disagree. Because if you knock Watson for throwing off his back foot, then when you get to Trubs films you're gonna see a lot more.

Originally Posted By: Razor
but when it gets to the point that there isn't enough patience to wait for WRs to get open and the QB is just taking off after a short wait or the first or second read is covered then it starts to become a problem. One of the reasons Watson has so many interceptions is that he lacks patience.
Which if any/plays from the Ohio State play support the above?

I don't watch a ton of college football. I've said that on multiple occasions over the years so I'm not hiding it. When I watch, it is to scout players and I pretty much stick to QB's and Offensive line because that is what I feel I know and understand the best. I watch a LOT of QB film because I enjoy watching them.

Anyways I did the break down like I always do which is to not compare how the player has played previously or the team previously. I only watch what is there to be seen and judge that for good or bad. I honestly set any prejudices on their playstyle to the side and just look at play by play. I often go back and rewatch many times to make sure I am not being too harsh or too kind.

Watson doesn't always have bad footwork but his footwork clearly has a correlation to him being inconsistent as a passer. I am guessing here but at least 80% of his messed up passes, that were not WR mess ups, were because of errors with his footwork. He gets lazy about stepping into his passes and just throws with stomach twists. When he does it usually ends in a bad pass. I am not discussing other games atm just THIS one. Many of his passes 20+ yards this game were poorly thrown. He had a few good ones but overall his deep ball was horrible this game.

The OC clearly had a gameplan to use a lot of come back and zone passing this game or at least those are the ones Watson choose to throw to. I think he only led the WR 2-3 times the entire game off the top of my head and two of those were short slant passes over the middle off one read quick passes. The comeback routes were probably a game plan for them against Ohio.

Feel free to disagree with me but I am pretty sure my analysis of this game was pretty accurate. Just make sure to let me know which pass you disagree with and why you think I got it wrong. I mean we might use some different terms for the same thing sometimes so it could lead to confusion in that regards.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

36s I think its important to note that he goes through progression from left to right before hitting #7 in stride to gain YAC.

55s
Don't see any issues with his footwork or throwing motion on this throw. I don't think the throw was wild or sloppy. The receiver is covered. #8 did not separate from his CB at all. I consider this a safe and purposeful overthrow.

Also, if you can zoom w/ your phone or computer and enlarge the gif for this play...you can again see Watson calmly work through his progression from left to right; he resets and throws in rhythm.

On the first one you could be right but to me it looks like he is doing a quick look off and then throwing to his primary target. Its a very quick passing time of about 2 seconds which usually means he already knew where he was going before he snapped. Either way I thought it was a good pass and gave him credit for it =)

On the second one his feet are too far apart and he does what I call a shoulder hop. Other people probably call it something else. No biggie. You can clearly see him throw his shoulders up as he is throwing almost like a basketball motion before you shoot a long basket. It's not a smooth and follow through motion from the side of the head with the weight shifting forward into the throw. This tend to have a negative effect on ball accuracy. You can clearly see it cause him to grossly overthrow the WR.

I watch the video on a big screen TV through my computer so I don't miss very much detail wise if the video quality is up for it =)

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Film Breakdown: Deshaun Watson

Link Copied to Clipboard