Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I understand we are all frustrated and disappointed but it's kinda sad that as the team spirals further down the toilet the fans turn on each other. We all think we have the answers....oh, how easy it is to be the coach from the sofa.

Personally, I can't wait for this season to end. Not just the Browns but, the NFL in particular has been disappointing. The only thing that might help save the season for me would be a fun match up like a KC v Detroit Super Bowl.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Sometimes I wonder if our DLman count 3 Mississippi before they rush ...

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

Of course people are blaming the coaches. The dumb-ass FO and crooked owner get another free pass.

How very Brown-like.

I am beginning to detest this team and some of their fans.

Hue had major input into all the personnel moves. His ego is insane. Our best hope is that he learns from his mistakes and puts his ego aside. I think that's going to be incredibly tough for him.

The FO is clearly clueless. That's why I said in another thread that I don't think Pryor or Collins will be here next year. Pryor has regressed as the season has gone on. I think the FO will use that as a reason not to offer him the best deal he can get and he'll leave for a better deal. The problem with that line of thinking is that it's the FO's job to project what these guys will become. I don't think they'll factor Pryor's development into the equation.

I got to the game late and fast forwarded through most of it. I will say that RG3 is putrid. He's the same as Kessler. Hold the ball because you are incapable of processing information, hope everything breaks down so you can pass out of backyard football mode.

Considering we have no QB to build around, I don't really see any light at the end of the tunnel.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good, let's fire Hue. We will suddenly take off and win games w/all the talent on this roster that this genius FO has assembled.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
What would saving money get them? They may be able to roll some of that to the next year's cap, but there's no evidence that they kept the people on the roster to "save money".

I'll say it again: there is no reason for Haslam to save money on players. He'll make more money by having a good team than he would by having a bad one. You may not like him, but you cannot think he doesn't realize this.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Of course people are blaming the coaches. The dumb-ass FO and crooked owner get another free pass.

FO sucks, owner sucks, granted.

So tell us, what have Hue, Horton and Tabor done that's so impressive-- No, skip that. What have they done that's decent-- No, skip that. What have they done at all that shows even the slightest, most minuscule improvement in the team?

The offense has improved greatly-- no, never mind. It's actually gotten worse. RGIII has proven he was worth the shot-- No, wait, he's worse than we thought. Well, the rookie QB has shown tremendous growth under the tutelage of the QB whisperer-- uh, no, sorry. He actually digressed. The D is stopping the run now that the player's are learning Horton's system-- Oop, nope, gave up almost 300 on the ground today. Well, at least the D isn't giving up 30 points a game anymore-- No, wait, they still are. And then some. The amount of penalties in general and on STs have decreased-- Oh, crap, no they haven't.

Well, hell, all we need is better players-- Uh-- wait, the FO sucks, The HC doesn't know squat about QBs, and the owner won't spend the cap. Well we have two top ten picks, we have to get something right-- Nope, they can screw that up too because remember, the FO sucks. Well we have a lot of picks-- Yeah, that's works out well, the entire WR squad we drafted had a combined 600 yds and 3 TDs. And all the other draft picks save Ogbah have virtually disappeared.

If we had only kept Schwartz & Tashaun. That would have made all the difference in the world.

We're stuck with these coaches and the FO. That's all we can say. For the sake of consistency, we're stuck with them. Unless there's major improvement in how the FO & coaches evaluate talent, how the coaches coach, and a willingness to spend to acquire and retain talent, we're on a carousel of perpetual poop.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Until we have actual football people in the FO, that can evaluate players and coaching, I don't see much changing, that is the biggest thing that needs to change in offseason. Last years draft was a bust, not a single player that contributes like they should given where they got drafted. I don't get all the pryor love, he's average with an above average WR body. He's selfish and has iffy hands. Like some have said, he wouldn't get near the love on a team with a true #1. I'd say he's worth keeping to develop further, but if he's wanting #1 money..pass. Guys like JG, though he's an idiot are true #1, he can impact a game significantly...Pryor can't. Looking down through the roster, just soo many holes. You have to believe Haslam sees how bad the brain trust have made this team without having to be this bad. There was no reason to tear it down to the studs, yet we did to accumulate draft picks we whiffed on, traded known commodities for unknown would be scrubs. I'm willing to give the coaches more room than two lawyers who know zero about football. Thats where I think the biggest change needs to happen, and I don't think they deserve 3 years to do it.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
What would saving money get them? They may be able to roll some of that to the next year's cap, but there's no evidence that they kept the people on the roster to "save money".

I'll say it again: there is no reason for Haslam to save money on players. He'll make more money by having a good team than he would by having a bad one. You may not like him, but you cannot think he doesn't realize this.

You won't listen to me anyway, just like a bunch of other know-it-alls on here. But, just in case you are being real...........google what Steve Young had to say about owners and equity this past week. That should give you a clue as to how it works w/some owners.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think you want an answer. Your mind is made up.

I am to the point where I am starting to hate this team. I almost hope they fire Hue. I mean..........the Browns will certainly win a bunch of games next year w/better coaching.

This is why the plan is destined to fail. Misplaced blame!

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
We MUST stop letting our better player leave and we must stop cutting better players and instead keeping no-talent bums to take their spots to SAVE MONEY!!!

How is that not yet obvious?

This is so true! It's not like Jimmy pockets the money that we don't spent right?

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I read Steve Young's comments, and I still don't think that Haslam is doing that. If I'm not mistaken, in the latest CBA, the teams have to meet a minimum payroll per season (with the ability to roll some to the next). If they have to pay a minimum amount, no matter who is playing, why would they not put the best team on the field that they can?

B
Legend
Legend
B
I saw that we didn't run the ball, Again.

We are a pass happy team with pretty bad QBs, and get sacked 10% of the time when we do.

Why????

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I didn't think you would agree. Just gave you a chance. Nothing more.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So what will the scalpers be charging for next weeks game? Stick of bubble gum? Now that will be one empty stadium.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My post game thought... I thought I was very lucky to work 12 hrs today and didn't get to watch any of the game ...

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: MrTed
We MUST stop letting our better player leave and we must stop cutting better players and instead keeping no-talent bums to take their spots to SAVE MONEY!!!

How is that not yet obvious?

This is so true! It's not like Jimmy pockets the money that we don't spent right?

Yup, if we end up not signing Pryor it will be a huge mistake. Signing a player like him is what good teams do. You have to keep the good ones and get rid of the bad players.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

We are a pass happy team with pretty bad QBs, and get sacked 10% of the time when we do.

Why????

I hope I'm not the only one that gets almost sick to my stomach with how much we pass the ball. It would be different if we had some kind of good QB who actually knew what he was doing but we don't. Our identity needs to be a running team. Sadly no one on the coaching staff is committed to running the ball. I want an offensive game plan like we had in the last 4 games of that one year when Mangini was here.

A simplified plan of running the ball, limited passing, strong defense. We don't have all the parts for that plan but that's what I'd like to see.

-Charles Bukowski
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Why????

I hope I'm not the only one that gets almost sick to my stomach with how much we pass the ball. It would be different if we had some kind of good QB who actually knew what he was doing but we don't. Our identity needs to be a running team. Sadly no one on the coaching staff is committed to running the ball. I want an offensive game plan like we had in the last 4 games of that one year when Mangini was here.

A simplified plan of running the ball, limited passing, strong defense. We don't have all the parts for that plan but that's what I'd like to see.

We need to be able to do both. Right now we don't do either well at all.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I had time to make a awesome stack of molasses cookies.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: BADdog
I had time to make a awesome stack of molasses cookies.
send some my way bad! love em

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
I mean when was the last time we were able to score more than 13?

October 30th vs the Jets

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I'd like to see that as well. Unfortunately, the question lingers: if we did go to running the ball, say 65% of the time, and defenses started stacking the box, do we have enough of a passing attack to make them pay for it? With the questions at quarterback, I don't know. Although, I will say that a run-heavy/pass-when-you-have-to offense is tailor made for Kevin Hogan.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
seems like most games end up like 34-13

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
...the entire WR squad we drafted had a combined 600 yds and 3 TDs. And all the other draft picks save Ogbah have virtually disappeared.

Kevin Kleps
@KevinKleps

Browns' 2016 draft class:
-- 56 receptions, 709 yards, 4 TDs
-- 7 sacks

Michael Thomas: 76 catches, 883 yards, 8 TDs
Joey Bosa: 7.5 sacks

M
Legend
Legend
M
It's gotten so bad, WOIO Channel 19 the CBS affiliate was getting bombarded with requests to air the Pitt vs Cincy instead of the Browns. Haslam has managed to absolutley destroy this franchise.

Cleveland 19 News Verified account
@cleveland19news

WOIO is not able to air Pit/Cin b/c we are required to air the "home market" affiliate and are obligated to carry the Browns game.

Tweet

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Groza76
Do you want the Browns to move again? Remember model!

Yes. This Browns team can leave. Haslam sucks. Front office sucks. Players suck. Coaches suck. It is nothing but a continuous suck fest. At least the fans would STOP GETTING RIPPED OFF thinking they were actually going to get to see an NFL game featuring TWO professional football teams. Good riddance already.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
there are many sundays, including today, where I feel apathetic enough that i wouldn't car if we moved.

I'm SO, SO tired of this

M
Legend
Legend
M
He'll make more money by having a good team than he would by having a bad one. You may not like him, but you cannot think he doesn't realize this.

Haslam bought the team in 2012 from Lerner for $1.05B. As of this year, Forbes values the Browns franchise at $1.85B. That's an increase in $800M! Haslam is laughing his ass off all the way to the bank.

Forbes 2016 Browns Valuation

Forbes 2012 Browns Valuation

V
Legend
Legend
V
I would have no problem if Haslam moved the team to Tennessee, London, or Columbus as long as we got another team. I have very little hope of the Browns ever winning under his leadership.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
He'll make more money by having a good team than he would by having a bad one. You may not like him, but you cannot think he doesn't realize this.

Haslam bought the team in 2012 from Lerner for $1.05B. As of this year, Forbes values the Browns franchise at $1.85B. That's an increase in $800M! Haslam is laughing his ass off all the way to the bank.

Forbes 2016 Browns Valuation

Forbes 2012 Browns Valuation

I think a lot of people, not just Ham, don't understand the equity part of owning a football team.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I know people are overly emotional and this is a historically bad season but...

Why do people expect more? We are a historically young team in a league where young players are not always great right out of the box.

You can complain about the draft class, but guys take time to develop. This team was a total rebuild from the start. People don't want to see how the sausage is made, I guess.

To call for coaches head in the first year would be a massive, massive mistake. Probably next year too. We are going to be a top 5 game AGAIN next year. Thankfully, the FO was smart enough to give up an overrated QB for another top 10 pick again in an elite defensive draft.

Takes time. I know people don't want to hear that, and Haslam and the FO doesn't really deserve the benefit of the doubt, but at least this FO had the balls to finally do a complete rebuild. Hopefully they get it right on the players they pick.

you had a good run Hank.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I'd like to see that as well. Unfortunately, the question lingers: if we did go to running the ball, say 65% of the time, and defenses started stacking the box, do we have enough of a passing attack to make them pay for it? With the questions at quarterback, I don't know. Although, I will say that a run-heavy/pass-when-you-have-to offense is tailor made for Kevin Hogan.

Yes, to execute something like this you would need to have an excellent O-line that is able to run block well (something I don't think we have now), talented backs as well. We have some but not good enough. Protecting the football, running, and TOP would be the goal on offense. I mean a ball control type of scheme.

And when the defense stacks the box you need to have an accurate enough QB to make them pay. I'm not saying the guy has to be a world beater, but accurate enough to complete short to mid range throws under a blitz. Play action would be used heavily. You also need to have a stout defense. Doing things this way I think you could win without having a superstar QB. Of course I would take one though. ooo

Last edited by tastybrownies; 12/18/16 11:36 PM.

-Charles Bukowski
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I know the overall value of the team has gone up. I wouldn't argue that point. My opinion is that he would realize MORE profit if he fielded a better team. I mean, that makes sense, doesn't it? Seems like business 101 to me: you make a cookie that people buy, you make a better cookie, people will buy more. I'm no economist, but that makes sense to me. On the flip side, if you make a less good cookie, people buy less. Total bust out.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not bashing you. I get what you are saying. I just think you are missing some things.

You mentioned something about what does he do w/the money he isn't spending. You asked if he pocketed it. Think about it, man. Where is the money originally? Can you make money off of that money?

Moving on.....you don't see the pattern of multiple uniforms, holding TC in Columbus, playing as the home team in London, stadium upgrades, while maintaining one of the lowest payrolls in the entire league? Seriously? You can't follow the bouncing ball?

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
...the entire WR squad we drafted had a combined 600 yds and 3 TDs. And all the other draft picks save Ogbah have virtually disappeared.

Kevin Kleps
@KevinKleps

-- 7 sacks

I think this needs to be re-quoted. Wow.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
A
Legend
Legend
A
I am not bashing you. I get what you are saying. I just think you are missing some things.

You mentioned something about what does he do w/the money he isn't spending. You asked if he pocketed it. Think about it, man. Where is the money originally? Can you make money off of that money?

Moving on.....you don't see the pattern of multiple uniforms, holding TC in Columbus, playing as the home team in London, stadium upgrades, while maintaining one of the lowest payrolls in the entire league? Seriously? You can't follow the bouncing ball?

Multiple uniforms: Most fans were in favor of it.
TC in Columbus: Hasn't happened yet, but probably will. What's the problem with that?

Playing as the home team in London: Where did Haslam get the ability to determine IF the team played in London, and THAT we would be the home team? I wasn't aware the nfl allowed the owner to choose.

Stadium upgrades: Most fans were clamoring for that.

Only point you have is: one of the lowest payrolls in the league.

Now - imagine if all that stuff is true - EXCEPT choosing to play in London, and choosing to make it a home game..........but imagine the value of the Browns franchise when they start winning. It would blow away his 4 year increase of $800K, wouldn't it?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Of course, you would think all of my points are pointless and you would ignore that we are 0 and 14. LOL.............

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
It would blow away his 4 year increase of $800K, wouldn't it?

Arch, it's increased $800M, not $800K.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Of course, you would think all of my points are pointless and you would ignore that we are 0 and 14. LOL.............

Of course you would ignore my post.

Yes, we ARE 0-14.

Give me a link that shows/proves Haslam wanted a game in London. Along with that link, show me that he volunteered to have it be a Browns home game. Thanks.

Show me where a stadium upgrade wasn't wanted by the fans. (also, show me how the money spent increased the value of the franchise more than the money spent)

Show me, with links, how any of what I said is/was wrong.

Then go ahead and show me where I DIDN'T say "imagine how the value of the franchise would increase if/when they start winning."

I'll wait.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DaveyD

Kevin Kleps
@KevinKleps

-- 7 sacks

I think this needs to be re-quoted. Wow.

Michael Thomas has Drew Brees throwing to him

Browns' 2016 draft class had 6 different QB's throwing to them.

You need to look at the entire picture not just one corner. tsktsk

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Bills 33 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard