Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
numbers and measurements dont correlate with success. thats why its hit or miss.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend

Maybe
"numbers and measurements dont correlate with success."

But when you add going to their practices and games and you get to watch every snap they have played from high school on. Then you add discussions with coaches, teammates, and relatives.

Then you bring them in for interviews and private workouts you ought to have a pretty darn good idea of what they can and can not do.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Maybe
"numbers and measurements dont correlate with success."

But when you add going to their practices and games and you get to watch every snap they have played from high school on. Then you add discussions with coaches, teammates, and relatives.

Then you bring them in for interviews and private workouts you ought to have a pretty darn good idea of what they can and can not do.

cmon man.. most of these guys have been playing football all their lives. Most will get the backings of their ex-head coaches and teammates, and especially relatives.

most will do well on interviews and private workouts...

All that you mentioned is definitely important, but even if a player nails everything you mentioned.. its STILL hit or miss.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
From what I've read, we never sat down with Justin Gilbert. If we did and saw what he was like we probably wouldn't have drafted him.

Legend
Legend
Bone, Turk:

I think it's more complex than what's been discussed. Here's my thinking.

I've thought all year: "how can I evaluate ANY of these guys playing in this situation?"

Everything, and I do mean everything except the owner is brand new this year.

no cohesion
no chemistry
no consistency in the starting lineup
no culture
no vets (outside of a handful)
no shared history or team experiences

I've found it impossible to figure out ANY player's real potential, because I don't get to see them play on a team. Maybe there's some talent here- who knows? There are certainly some athletic guys... but how much better would ANY of them look if they (and the rest of their team mates) were plugged into a working system?

This year has been a total washout for me in terms of emotion, capital investment and even academic (x's & o's) and 'personal interest' stories. And I'm not really surprised that I feel this way. What else should I have expected, considering everything that's happened in the last 12 months.?

I don't really know these guys. And they haven't given me much reason to try- yet.

IMHO, there's nothing really much to see until the new season rolls around. With so much new this year, all we have to look at are a bunch of parts in a pile. "Some assembly is required" before we can even have a clue what this team might be.

I hate that we've had so many re-starts over the years. The numbers of FO's coaching staffs, GM's, etc. is beyond staggering- it's insanity. This team is perhaps more raw than even the 1999 team, if for no other reasons than youth, inexperience, and a top-down infrastructure still trying to figure out what it is.

I hope Haslam chooses to hunker down and actually COMMIT to something for more than 18 months this time. I know folks will scream when they hear me say it, but: with this team at this time- 3 years is the earliest we should expect to see anything watchable. And that's IF staff turnover is low.

Sorry.... I just started rambling on. Back to my main point: I still don't know how to grade any of these guys because they aren't playing in an established system yet. Half our guys are still learning how to play in the NFL, let alone learn how to play together. We really are that young and raw. Case in point: what would Zeke Elliot look like behind this line? Probably a lot like Isiah Crowell. Same fruit, vastly different trees.

just another .02 in the convo

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
From what I've read, we never sat down with Justin Gilbert. If we did and saw what he was like we probably wouldn't have drafted him.

I read the same. but that is one player out of how many draft picks that we have had??

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Bone, Turk:

I think it's more complex than what's been discussed. Here's my thinking.

I've thought all year: "how can I evaluate ANY of these guys playing in this situation?"

Everything, and I do mean everything except the owner is brand new this year.

no cohesion
no chemistry
no consistency in the starting lineup
no culture
no vets (outside of a handful)
no shared history or team experiences

I've found it impossible to figure out ANY player's real potential, because I don't get to see them play on a team. Maybe there's some talent here- who knows? There are certainly some athletic guys... but how much better would ANY of them look if they (and the rest of their team mates) were plugged into a working system?

This year has been a total washout for me in terms of emotion, capital investment and even academic (x's & o's) and 'personal interest' stories. And I'm not really surprised that I feel this way. What else should I have expected, considering everything that's happened in the last 12 months.?

I don't really know these guys. And they haven't given me much reason to try- yet.

IMHO, there's nothing really much to see until the new season rolls around. With so much new this year, all we have to look at are a bunch of parts in a pile. "Some assembly is required" before we can even have a clue what this team might be.

I hate that we've had so many re-starts over the years. The numbers of FO's coaching staffs, GM's, etc. is beyond staggering- it's insanity. This team is perhaps more raw than even the 1999 team, if for no other reasons than youth, inexperience, and a top-down infrastructure still trying to figure out what it is.

I hope Haslam chooses to hunker down and actually COMMIT to something for more than 18 months this time. I know folks will scream when they hear me say it, but: with this team at this time- 3 years is the earliest we should expect to see anything watchable. And that's IF staff turnover is low.

Sorry.... I just started rambling on. Back to my main point: I still don't know how to grade any of these guys because they aren't playing in an established system yet. Half our guys are still learning how to play in the NFL, let alone learn how to play together. We really are that young and raw. Case in point: what would Zeke Elliot look like behind this line? Probably a lot like Isiah Crowell. Same fruit, vastly different trees.

just another .02 in the convo

I think you are spot on here. We have no idea what we've got in general. I was hoping we'd get a better idea by the end of the year, but that hope went out the window with the crazy amount of injuries we sustained. We are left with hoping and trusting in the future...something we already have too much experience doing.

Legend
Legend

Teams that win make good personnel decisions.

That includes free agency, the draft, draft free agents, and knowing who to let go and who to keep.

Some teams get it right others do not.

M
Legend
Legend
M

That includes free agency, the draft, draft free agents, and knowing who to let go and who to keep.

John Madden, ladies and gentlemen! thumbsup

Tackles are tackles.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S

adding to this the ability to teach the draftees how to play in the NFL. Also an environment where the veterans help out the draftees.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: sk8termom

adding to this the ability to teach the draftees how to play in the NFL. Also an environment where the veterans help out the draftees.

It also includes the coaching staff.

yebat' Putin
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Only thing I'll disagree on is your comparison of Zeke to Crow. Zeke wouldn't be tripping over a blade of grass and going down within two yards (before or after) the line of scrimmage.

Nor would he stand there for two seconds before making a decision on where to run.

I don't think he'd be having the success he is now, but I do think we'd be happier with our rushing attack than we are however.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MrTed
Only thing I'll disagree on is your comparison of Zeke to Crow. Zeke wouldn't be tripping over a blade of grass and going down within two yards (before or after) the line of scrimmage.

Nor would he stand there for two seconds before making a decision on where to run.

I don't think he'd be having the success he is now, but I do think we'd be happier with our rushing attack than we are however.

They are not the same type backs. Crow's clumsiness irks a lot of people, but when he hits that hole. Man, he looks great.

In regards to making decisions, have you seen Leveon Bell play? Dude hides behind his line before he makes decision on which way to go. It irks me like crazy that he can do that, and still get positive yardage.

T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
Thurman Thomas had a pretty good career doing the exact same thing

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He would if there wasn't a hole there.. either that or he would do his Trent Richardson impersonation and run into the back of the OL.. when there isn't much of a hole, those are your two choices.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

He would if there wasn't a hole there.. either that or he would do his Trent Richardson impersonation and run into the back of the OL.. when there isn't much of a hole, those are your two choices.

I dunno. There's dancing and ramming your OL like Trent, or you can help make a hole by pressing the line with patience and then cutting back.

I thought Crow was showing better balance there for awhile, but against the Bills he was back to falling over.

Maybe we need to upgrade our equipment guys? How long have they been around?

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

I need there's no hole to go through (I said this in that pipeline thread) GO AROUND!

Doesymake much sense just to run into the back of the OL and just fall over for a loss.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I would have no problem if Haslam moved the team to Tennessee, London, or Columbus as long as we got another team. I have very little hope of the Browns ever winning under his leadership.

Agreed with the stipulation that the new team gets the proper amount of time to actually put itself together in terms of a front office and coaching staff. Not another rush job.

Last edited by The Beast; 12/22/16 12:21 AM.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If Haslam has two eyes and half a brain he should be able to see the facts.

Haslam wouldn't have a clue if you gave him one. THAT is the central problem to the current version of the Browns. I sincerely doubt he is the guy who rights the ship. Move and start over or sell the team who has a shred of football sense.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Legend
Legend
I'd rather keep and fix these Browns. The history is so unique in NFL lore that their's no other team quite like it. I kinda like that about us.

It has a chance of happening if Jimmy finally gets out of the way, and gives something- ANYTHING more than 15 minutes to work itself out.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Bills 33 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard