Print Thread
#1217074 01/05/17 03:51 PM
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
I just saw that Ted Cruz and Ron DeSantis have a Constitutional Amendment proposal for term limits for Senate and the House.

Well done Mr Cruz and Mr DeSantis for starting this, now we just need to get to the other 533 to gt on board and get this thing ratified.

The Proposal: http://www.cruz.senate.gov/files/documents/Bills/20170103_TermLimitsBill.pdf

Here's the process to get an Amendment: https://www.archives.gov/federal-register/constitution

A
Legend
Legend
A
I'm all for it.

Only problem is, the people that get to vote on it are the ones it would negatively affect.

It should be something on a national ballot.

C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Can't argue, but the Constitution provides that an amendment may be proposed either by the Congress with either
(1) a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or
(2) by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures

If people what this to pass, they're likely going to need to start making calls to their Senators and Representatives.

Legend
Legend
We have term limits now, they're called elections. If the people are happy with their person why should they be forced to step down? I'd rather get rid of all lobbyists.

#GMSTRONG
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
We have term limits now, they're called elections. If the people are happy with their person why should they be forced to step down? I'd rather get rid of all lobbyists.

So you'd be ok with removing the 2 term limit for president then? (just playing devil's advocate)

I agree on lobbyists!

A
Legend
Legend
A

The biggest reason, for me anyway, is the current system is biased towards the incumbent in many ways. One of the biggest ways is the whole "look how much money I brought back to my district" things.

It's not conducive to good political representation for the COUNTRY.

As it stands, it's all about money: look what position I have in Congress. I can bring money back to my constituents.

And no one realizes that the money was paid for by the rep. or sen agreeing to vote for spending bills for other reps or sens........and the whole cycle repeats. Spending money that isn't there, in hopes of getting re elected.

Legend
Legend
Cool.

What's the likelihood this passes?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: clwb419

So you'd be ok with removing the 2 term limit for president then? (just playing devil's advocate)

I agree on lobbyists!

I'm fine with the term limits on the president just like I'm fine with the fact that office is elected differently than all others. Also that particular office takes such a toll on the individual, more than 8 years will likely kill them. As a matter of fact, the only 3 term president we've ever had died in office.

#GMSTRONG
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Depends on how Donald Trump wants to play it. I could see him easily supporting this or using it as leverage in a political tool. But I think with his backing it would get through.

C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
I suspect that the grandfathering of existing members not having limits increases the chance this passes, but I personally think the likelihood is still low that 357 of the 535 members says yes (despite 75% of Americans wanting it)

BTW, the last time Congress tried to pass term limits was in 1994 and it failed (obviously). As well, there's been more than a few articles that states this did not work well when States set term limits. It'll be an interesting debate.

Legend
Legend
That's why we need to get rid of the lobbyists. We should also stop allowing businesses and out of state individuals from donating to anyones campaign. These Pacs and Super Pacs need to go too. We should even bring back equal time on the radio and tv networks.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I suspect that the grandfathering of existing members not having limits increases the chance this passes,...

Some have been in there so long they should call it great-great-grandfathering.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
Cool.

That it becomes law?

I would guess that it would be somewhere around 0.00001%.

Those who buy political power likely find it cheaper to keep those they have bought, and are unlikely to want to have to buy new people every few years.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: Swish
Cool.

You've heard the story of Slim & None and how Slim died? I'm all for this, and have advocated for it for years, but I doubt this will get anywhere.

I agree that it should be on a national ballot and we the people just tell them how it is.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
P
Legend
Legend
P
I used to be highly in favor of term limits. I still favor them but am far more skeptical about how much impact it would actually have.

I actually believe that both parties are nothing more than salesmen. They would simply run a clone of what was winning with the former candidate in order to win and nothing would really change.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Congressional Term Limits

Link Copied to Clipboard