Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1222229 01/16/17 01:09 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Wanted to create one thread to discuss our free agents and guys we could look at. After Haden and Thomas our next top 3 highest paid players are RGIII, Tramon Williams and Josh McCown. Those 3 are scheduled to make 22 million next year. We can save about 19 million by cutting all three, which I would probably do.

Legend
Legend
I'd cut all three as well, especially if we have a plan at QB (whether it's Kessler, Jimmy G, Romo, Trubisky, whatever).

In FA, I'd like to see us sign Collins and Pryor ... that would be a start IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Yes, let go of RGIII, Tramon, & McCown. I have a bad feeling we will retry the RGIII experiment.

Definitely resign Collins and Pryor. Even if you have to overpay. I'd say Collins is a higher priority.

Pickups? Kevin Zeitler (Cinci guard) would be an epic get, but that seems too unlikely. Same w/ Andrew Norwell (Panthers guard) & Larry Warford (Lions guard).

A.J. Bouye (Texans CB), Logan Ryan (Patriots CB), or Stephon Gilmore (Bills CB) sound good?

Gregg Williams is familiar w/ Dominique Easly (Rams DT)

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Giants are going to let Johnathan Hankins go. I'd love to pair him and Shelton to stop the run.

Legend
Legend
Hankins would be a good get ... as would Zeitler

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Micah Hyde (Safety-Packers) is a FA, as well as Trumaine Johnson (CB-Rams). Both those pickups would really upgrade our secondary. Hyde played well last night and has been good all year in a banged up Packers' secondary. Hyde may opt to start (and get paid) elsewhere. Just supposition on my part. He's also from Toledo... laugh

Johnson has the Williams connection.

I'd like to see us pick up a receiver and a DT, either FA or draft.

Last edited by drobs; 01/16/17 02:55 PM. Reason: checked my facts yo
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I don't' think the Browns will take up any free agent older than 27. It seems to be an important factor for them.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend

Don't know who the FA O-lineman are but I would look hard at all available.

The Browns need help at all the OL positions.

Center, Guard, Tackle. Bitonio will be back besides him and Thomas we need help at starters and depth.

In free agency you have to be smart. Paying veterans big money for past performance often leads to trouble.

You need to find hungry players who may have been stuck behind starters. Guys who are still young and trying to prove their worth.

I can not think of a position that the Browns could not use an upgrade, depth or competition.

The single most critical position within the Browns organization is the ability to build the talent on the roster.

Right now it is some kind of a democracy and then consensus of opinion. Which to me can lead to in fighting over opinion. Almost like letting this Board make the personnel decisions.

Frankly I have no idea on how it can work??

The Browns have tried "draft guru's" like Phil Savage. They have tried a former Super Bowl coach Mike Holmgren.

If it were up to me I would scour the entire NFL. I would talk to everybody. Jimmy Robinson, Bill Parcells, Ron Wolf and others in the "know". I would find a guy who has proven he can judge talent in the league and in college.

A guy with a proven record. Then I would give him the support, budget, and authority to build the scouting department. This person needs to have a strong working relationship with the head coach. But in the end he has to have the authority to make the decisions.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
We need to get a Hank Fraley type of center this year. A good guy who can stop in and play the spot for a few years.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I actually legit think we may have a shot at zeitler. The arrow is pointing down in Cincinnati and he's the exact kind of FA our FO is willing to pay for. Young, diligent, consistent and obviously he knows hue. Him locking down RG for 5 years would allow Greco to Fraley for us and make rt a competition. There's enough bodies I think we could get at least an average rt with a full off season and finally have some depth.

Thomas, bitonio, Greco, zeitler, maybe pazstor, drango, cam, Coleman, reiter, maybe a 4th round C, fabiono and bailey. That's a very good camp OL with some great competition and depth. Make those bottom guys fight for a spot.

Last edited by predator16; 01/16/17 04:16 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Spend some of that cap money for some Quality FA's including bring back Collins and Pryor!!!

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Just give all of our cap space to Eric Berry and be done with it. Tell him he won't have to play a team that has a horse as the mascot. He will jump at the opportunity.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I've went through the chiefs cap outlook and I don't see any way he stays a chief. He's been one of my favorite players since he came out. If he landed here I'd lose it.

Last edited by predator16; 01/16/17 07:18 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: predator16
I've went through the chiefs cap outlook and I don't see any way he stays a chief. He's been one of my favorite players since he came out. If he landed here I'd lose it.

Eric Berry was the guy I wanted in the 2010 draft (we ended up with Joe Haden).

They will cut Nick Foles and save over $10 million and probably Jamal Charles and save $7 million. They can also cut their punter and save $4 million.

If they want to keep Berry, they definitely can.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
I don't' think the Browns will take up any free agent older than 27. It seems to be an important factor for them.

I agree. Maybe 28 depending on position played, QB and maybe kicker excluded. Those guys can usually play well near 40. Lot's of QB's and kickers have done that.

I don't think we will be looking at signing a FA to a high dollar, 4 year deal that takes him past the age of 33.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Eric Berry was the guy I wanted in the 2010 draft (we ended up with Joe Haden).

They will cut Nick Foles and save over $10 million and probably Jamal Charles and save $7 million. They can also cut their punter and save $4 million.

If they want to keep Berry, they definitely can.

Yes but they have Dontari Poe to resign as well and they already franchised Berry once. They will likely prioritize Poe. They can't afford both

C
Legend
Legend
C
Washington interviewed Rob Ryan for their defensive coordinator position today. Pray for them.

Also, it looks like Chip Kelly is going to end up being the offensive coordinator for the Jaguars. That's really weird.

Legend
Legend
can chip kelly fix Blake Bortles?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: drobs
Trumaine Johnson (CB-Rams). Both those pickups would really upgrade our secondary.

Got my eye on Trumaine Johnson too. I think he would be a great addition. However, as we recently signed Taylor to a decent deal and we have Haden I don't know if we would go for him.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think the salary cap is a big issue anymore. It was in the early 2000s, but teams can easily manipulate the cap these days.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I would argue it still is a very big issue it's just that executives have gotten better at dealing with it. That may be what you mean though.

Last edited by predator16; 01/16/17 09:59 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Swish

To fix something is to imply it used to run properly.

Bortles was never good.

Maybe with the influence of someone who knows how to run an NFL offense (Doug Marrone), Kelly can tweak his offense to suit Bortles. It'll be interesting to see if the Jaguars pick up Bortles fifth year option.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P

Bortles was never good.

Maybe with the influence of someone who knows how to run an NFL offense (Doug Marrone), Kelly can tweak his offense to suit Bortles. It'll be interesting to see if the Jaguars pick up Bortles fifth year option.

I admittedly rely on others for most on players on other teams but was bortles not on fire in 2015? I never liked him as a prospect but I counted myself wrong until he 180d this year. Was 2015 not as good for him as it looked?

C
Legend
Legend
C

Bortles was never good.

I admittedly rely on others for most on players on other teams but was bortles not on fire in 2015? I never liked him as a prospect but I counted myself wrong until he 180d this year. Was 2015 not as good for him as it looked?

He had a lot of garbage time stats. Also, he is the king of the backbreaking interception.

V
Legend
Legend
V
cfrs has always had a chip on his shoulder regarding Bortles. He is not the guy to listen to if you want objectivity on that particular qb.

Bortles was a project coming out. I think he was drafted earlier than he should have been. Most of us thought that he should have sat and learned for at least two years. Instead, he was thrust into the fire. He has had his ups and downs.

He has not been all that good. He throws too many picks. However, to say he is a finished product is stupid as hell. The guy has a ton of physical talent that most can only dream of. He is very young.

I am NOT saying he will be good, but it's way too early to make the comments that guys like cfrs are about Bortles.

Put it this way................I'd much rather have him alone than all four qbs on our roster.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
This isn't the Coach Movement thread, guys.

V
Legend
Legend
V
What?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Put it this way................I'd much rather have him alone than all four qbs on our roster.

definitely disagree on that.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Legend
Legend
C

definitely disagree on that.

Tallest midget. I'd take him over all our guys too. That is more of an indictment of the guys we have and not a vote of confidence for Bortles.

V
Legend
Legend
V
My opinion is that Bortles is not a done deal. He still has potential to become good. To classify him as a bust is premature given his extreme athletic ability.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Brian Winters got paid well. I guarantee the Bengals can't afford Zeitler and the Ravens can't afford Wagner now.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
We have 107 mil in cap space. If we cut RG3, Mccown, and Tramon that'd give us 126 million. I'd like to consider cutting Hawkins because of his age. That'd put us at 128 million in cap space.

I may shoot somebody if I hear the phrase "we need to manage the cap space" as a reason for not signing somebody. That type of insanity turns you into a meme on the Internet.

Legend
Legend
I don't think the salary cap is a big issue anymore. It was in the early 2000s, but teams can easily manipulate the cap these days.

I think that teams do a better job of spreading out cap hits, and also do a better job of not throwing franchise money at average players. (overall) Teams also got a huge bump in the 2016 cap,that helped teams be able to do some things to better work the cap. (like having room to cut bad contracts and take the cap hits, etc.)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: candyman92
I may shoot somebody if I hear the phrase "we need to manage the cap space" as a reason for not signing somebody. That type of insanity turns you into a meme on the Internet.

The cap does need to managed. It's bad process to overpay guys just because you have money.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

The cap does need to managed. It's bad process to overpay guys just because you have money.

We don't just have money. We have 20 million more than the next team behind us. We could easily make it almost 40 million. Time to spend money.

C
Legend
Legend
C

We don't just have money. We have 20 million more than the next team behind us. We could easily make it almost 40 million. Time to spend money.

I'm not saying don't spend money. I'm saying don't overspend.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Overspend on Eric Berry.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Overspend on Eric Berry.

Yes. As I said before, give him all of our cap room.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Harrison smith's deal is 5 yr 51 mil as the hughest paid S. I'd gladly give berry that though I'd rather it be for 4 yr

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
No way Chiefs take Dontari over him.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency Discussion

Link Copied to Clipboard