Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kwhip Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
Fans. We better start thinking about this as a real possibility. Like it or not.

Hue made mention of it yesterday.

Let's keep it within the Top 6 (Jets) for realistic possibilities.

Most likely any move down would ASSumingly be for a QB for the team moving to #1. Possibly for Garrett?

This could be very interesting.

Don't just give us an "It would be stupid to not take Garrett".

There's Allen, Barnett, Thomas, Hooker, Adams in play here.

I'd LOVE to know what Williams would want in the Top 6 if Garrett is not an option. You'd have to think it would be Defense, unless we want QB.

What are your thoughts on where to move? Compensation for the move? And player options with the picks acquired?

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Puzzles me why do we want the extra picks so bad when our problem has allways been picking players.

Don't move and pick the player, don't outsmart yourself.

Just take a look back and see what players could we have if we din't try to outsmart ourselves.

Last edited by rastanplan; 01/26/17 07:56 AM.
Legend
Legend
I think they'd want a QB at 6. The only team trading up for 1 would do it for a QB.

C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
Take Garrett with the 1st pick and then see who wants him and what their willing to give for him. If their willing to give up enough and the player you want is still on the board do the deal. If the players gone we got Garrett. "A Bird In The Hand Is Worth Two In The Bush"

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I agree. If Garrett is the consensus #1 graded player and it's not close, don't trade out. If we have Garrett, Thomas, Hooker, Allen or whoever closely graded I would trade down but probably no further than Chicago. They need a QB so may want to jump SF.

Get Chicago's 1st, 2nd and a future pick (min 2nd) and select whoever remains from our top 3. Then leverage one our 2nd rounders to ensure we get one of the remaining defensive standouts if we feel they won't fall to 12.

Mission statement is to pick up 2 impact, game changing talents as a minimum.

V
Legend
Legend
V
It would be stupid not to take Garrett. wink

This team passes on impact players all the time. There is a true impact player at the second most important position on the field, and people wanna trade down? Sorry, that is stupid.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

This team passes on impact players all the time. There is a true impact player at the second most important position on the field, and people wanna trade down? Sorry, that is stupid.

+1

Just make the pick and prepare for #12.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Puzzles me why do we want the extra picks so bad when our problem has allways been picking players.

Just take a look back and see what players could we have if we din't try to outsmart ourselves.

Agree 100%.

#6 pick for 2 1sts, 1 2nd, and 2 4ths. Big haul, right?

But they got Julio Jones. And we got Phil Taylor, Weeden, Greg Little, Owen Marecic, and James Michael Johnson.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That was a great move wasn't it? If Garret is the best player in the draft stay at #1 and take him. Case closed.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I just threw up a little

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
This front office's REAL team building has officially begun. They've got the destruction of the existing foundation out of the way.

If they trade down, I'll lose a LOT of confidence in them being THE guys that get us where we need to be. Probably MOST of said confidence.

BPA! BPA! BPA!

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want Garrett but in the spirit of the topic. There are lots of scenarios that make it worth trading down so long as we don't move down beyond 6. So long as we end up with Barnett, Allen, Hooker, or Jamal then its all good with me. We have to gain at LEAST an extra first rounder to move out of 1 no matter what though.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If it means a first round pick for next year, take the trade. If you can land Trubisky, Allen, Thomas, Hooker, Adams, Foster or even Williams, I'm okay with moving down. I'd like to see them work hard to stack the roster with talent (it's a decent draft to do that), and come away with a QB. Even if it's Kiser, Kaaya or Mahomes. I'd also like to have a shot at Darold in 2018. Two firsts would help immensely.

If we can't get a first for 2018, NFW. Take Garrett and move on. See who's there at 12.

As far as worrying about past failed trades, every situation is different. This draft presents a whole new dynamic and an entirely different group of players. It's simply ridiculous to compare past results to future actions.

JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
If we were to trade it (which i hope we don't) and if its just picks for picks, I'd probably really only go with TN if they are buyers, get their 5th, 18th and 69. Might take swapping a future pick to make values work but that would really benefit the browns, and the TItans are alot closer to winning than we are

1st pick =3000

5th, 18th and 69=2845, so maybe another 2nd next year

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
If we were to trade it (which i hope we don't) and if its just picks for picks, I'd probably really only go with TN if they are buyers, get their 5th, 18th and 69. Might take swapping a future pick to make values work but that would really benefit the browns, and the TItans are alot closer to winning than we are

1st pick =3000

5th, 18th and 69=2845, so maybe another 2nd next year

That is juicy, but why would the Titans give up two firsts and a second this year plus a meaty pick next year, just for Garrett? I don't know, is he that good? Are the Titans one DE away from contending?

Shoot, if that was the offer on the table, I'd probably take it, even though I said above I wouldn't be interested in trading down (LOL). We'd have 5, 12, 18, 33, 50 and 69 (and whatever next year, if that was thrown in). At 5 we'd get Adams, Hooker, Foster or Watson and we already know about what's around 12.

Man, 6 in the top 70 and 3 of them in the top 18. With as many holes as we have...I don't know. That's a big haul. I doubt Tenn would offer.

The only catch to taking Garrett was that he said he didn't want to play in a cold weather city, plus we stink. So maybe he puts pressure on the Browns to not draft him, but that's a unknown right now.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: clevesteve

Agree 100%.

But they got Julio Jones. And we got Phil Taylor, Weeden, Greg Little, Owen Marecic, and James Michael Johnson.

The good news about that is we no longer have the guys who pulled that trade off then picked those players.

The jury is still out on whether the guys we have now are any better.

Last edited by Damanshot; 01/26/17 12:30 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wouldn't want them to trade down from pick #1, but at pick #12, then I would be open to trading down, depending on who is left on the board.

[Linked Image]

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Please god no. Trading down and not taking garret is sooooo Browns, that would be the Brownsiest of Browns moves.

The last time we traded out of an elite player was Julio Jones.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
... I'd probably really only go with TN if they are buyers...

I don't forsee TN moving up to #1, no way...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Garrett at #1 unless we get a king's ransom. Then see how it unfolds.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
... I'd probably really only go with TN if they are buyers...

I don't forsee TN moving up to #1, no way...

it would be unlikely sure, but I was just saying that would be the only scenario I think I'd consider given the haul we'd get..I want Garrett at #1, anything else is up for discussion

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
Trading out of #1, I can't think of a more Browns thing to do this upcoming draft.

Take Garrett and move on.

Browns have a habit of winning on paper instead of on Sunday's.

K
kwhip Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K

Lol. Was waiting to see who was first to say it.

I was looking more for NAMES if we moved.

How far from Garrett is Barrnet?

Move to 3. Barnett.

Make a move back up to say 7 and snag Hooker?

Legend
Legend

In addition to saying "we have not ruled out trading out of number one".

Hue also said: "Good QB trumps elite non-QB in draft".

Make no mistake the Browns marching orders from the top and all the way through to the Head Coach is: "find a quarterback".

I for one will not say that Garrett is the best player in this draft. A lot have people have said that he is. He may be, but I am not there yet. Still lots of time to decide.

Elite pass rushers are critical to defensive success. There is no denying that.

However, the quarterback holds the steering wheel.

I you don't have a quarterback who can lead; you go in circles.

As this drafts continues till draft day we will learn more and more about the players. In particular I enjoy Gruden's QB camp.

This QB class has been downgraded by most. Watch as time passes how that will change.

We know there is no squeaky clean four year stater in the mold of Peyton or Luck.

However, it is my belief that a guy will emerge. Somebody in this draft will succeed. There will be a Dak or Wentz. It could be a guy like Kelly. We may think we know but truth be told; we do not.

Legend
Legend

Agree 100%.

Muhammed Wilkerson
Randall Cobb
Richard Sherman
David DeCastro
Malik Jackson

The trade was great. We just sucked at picking players. Those are two separate things.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
E
Legend
Legend
E
Hue also said: "Good QB trumps elite non-QB in draft".

Was watching a post Senior Bowl Practice interview. It was the Reporter that stated the above quote...Hue's response was we still have to process things before we can agree with that statement.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...82-72451deff025

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
I understand moving down and would prefer it in almost every scenario. More swings increases the likelihood of hitting a home run.

With that said, we have a home run already sitting there with the first pick. Pick Myles Garrett and be done with it.

(I would be trying to trade down with pick #12.)

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The more you trade down the more average the players get. Take Garrett or Allen and don't look back. Quit screwing around Browns you're not smarter than everybody else

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would try to trade UP from 12

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
The more you trade down the more average the players get.

This is true. But you also get more picks to attempt to pick non-average players.

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: chirp30
Take Garrett with the 1st pick and then see who wants him and what their willing to give for him. If their willing to give up enough and the player you want is still on the board do the deal. If the players gone we got Garrett. "A Bird In The Hand Is Worth Two In The Bush"

I wonder why this isn't done more. It's clearly an option since it happened with Eli Manning. I could see players not necessarily loving it but since when does the NFL care about player's feelings? I mean, especially at the top of the draft, I wouldn't think it would be that big of an issue. Later on, you get drafted by the Patriots in the first round and they flip you to the Browns at the top of the second, that would suck but in the end you're not playing for the team that you'd be mad at, so what's the difference?

Last in, first out, the sign of a true champion!
[Linked Image from i301.photobucket.com]
B
Legend
Legend
B

I agree. I wish the draft was before you had to commit to your season tickets. If we didn't take Garrett, I'd dump mine. That would be like the Buccaneers not taking LeRoy Selmon.

I know most of you don't know LeRoy Selmon as you are too young, but LeRoy was a stud.

Every now and then you can't overthink things. This is one of those times. Just take Myles.....please, just take Myles.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 01/26/17 08:13 PM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Well you could always do a Godly draft like this one where you trade back from garrett for a team that wants another player and then build the best D-line EVER!!!

Your score is: 10232 (GRADE: B+)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 2 (S.F.): Myles Garrett, DE/OLB, Texas A&M (A+)
Round 1 Pick 4 (JAX): Jonathan Allen, DE/DT, Alabama (A+)
Round 1 Pick 7 (LAC): Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford (A+)

Your Future Picks:
2019 Round 1 Pick

I'd actually feel bad for teams that had to fight those three plus Danny Shelton. I mean next year's draft wouldn't be sexy but my God the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse would be born for football.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
I want Garret at #1, but I would be willing to trade down from 12, slightly, but only for the right price, and only if Hooker and Foster are gone.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Lol. Was waiting to see who was first to say it.

Somehow, you missed the wink.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
The only catch to taking Garrett was that he said he didn't want to play in a cold weather city, plus we stink. So maybe he puts pressure on the Browns to not draft him, but that's a unknown right now.
This is what he said:

"Doesn't matter (who drafts me) ... but I'd like not to go anywhere cold," Garrett said Tuesday, per The Houston Chronicle. "Whoever picks me up, I'm going to try and play my best for, to be the best player on the field at any given time. It doesn't matter who picks me up, I'm going to try and be a franchise player for them."

Yes, he said he'd "like not to go anywhere cold", which is understandable considering he's a 21 y/o kid who's probably never been north of Tennessee for more than a day in his life. I put much more weight on the rest of his statement.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P

Agree 100%.

Yes but we could have had Muhammed wilkerson, Justin Houston, Julius Thomas, Harrison smith and malik Jackson. There's at least 2-10 other pro bowl options within 15 at most slots of players at those picks we recieved. It's WHO you pick not where. I'm a fan of myles but the mentality that you can only pick impact guys high is bs. Again this is not FO or myles related purely mindset. Not to toot my horn but I chose those 5 because they were the guys I actually wanted at the pick. Brings a damn tear to my eye. We've picked horrendously but to say a trade down is foolish is foolish imo.

Last edited by predator16; 01/27/17 12:42 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Somebody better be backing up a dump truck full of picks to make me pass on Garrett, but if it was down to #6, I would be targeting Hooker. If we missed out on him, then Solomon Thomas.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I love garrett and will in no way be upset if we take him. Relieved if anything. BUT if we traded down, got a haul and picked up hooker or Barnett I would be even more happy. Any other trade down no. I want one of those 3 guys, as of right now, for this draft to be a success for me. They are the only 3 imo that can make a massive impact and dominate their position immediately. I supposed allen too but those 3 are too rare for their position.

Last edited by predator16; 01/27/17 01:18 AM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I want Garrett. To trade down, I take 1st and 2nd this year, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd next season, and a 1st and 3rd the following year.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Moving Down from #1 Scenarios.

Link Copied to Clipboard