O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
I think he needs a d@mn good one.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
only if it is a darn good one...but who? idk...we will see how this plays out.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
only if it is a darn good one...but who? idk...we will see how this plays out.

He dug really deep, back into his past, for our O Line coach.

Who knows, are there any legendary, old, offensive guys out there? What Hue needs is a guy that is clearly better at it than he is. Then he could be freed up to what he was hired to do -- learn how to be a great NFL Head Coach.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
If there was an OC better than Hue willing to work for hue that would be kind of a bad choice for that person since he would be a HC candidate.

Some of you with this strange idea that we can land a better OC than Hue need to fix your brain because you're not thinking rationally.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
but i don't think he'd ever relinquish play calling duties. he's been pretty adamant about it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Olskool711

No he doesn't.

He needs:

A cohesive OL
Another WEAPON
And a gosh damn QUARTERBACK

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
... are there any legendary, old, offensive guys out there?

I'm sure there are a few of us old guys out here who are..."offensive". rofl

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
"If there was an OC better than Hue willing to work for hue that would be kind of a bad choice for that person since he would be a HC candidate."

This.

Legend
Legend
Who's our QB coach right now?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
... are there any legendary, old, offensive guys out there?

I'm sure there are a few of us old guys out here who are..."offensive". rofl

Yeah, that shoe fits half the board here, lol.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: candyman92

We have one. He was just appointed. A shift in duties...I can't remember his name.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

We have one. He was just appointed. A shift in duties...I can't remember his name.

I'd just make him the part time OC in name only.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
j/c

I think many people get the term offensive coordinator confused with play-caller. Hugh Jackson will be the play-caller. But to have a complete staff he still needs someone to coordinate the offense, especially when he is off doing head coaching stuff. Also, I think youth would be the way to go here to balance out the experience (age)of this staff.

Last edited by edromeo; 01/26/17 08:01 AM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: kwhip

No he doesn't.

He needs:

A cohesive OL
Another WEAPON
And a gosh damn QUARTERBACK

That seems to be the answer I'd go with

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I like the idea of Hue finding someone to mentor and build up to run his style of offense aka paul brown to bill walsh kind of thing

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think ed provided the most reasonable and correct answer.

I don't think that Hue needs to bring in someone to be the playcaller. I do think that he should have an OC to help w/practices, meetings, be a voice in his ear, concentrate on details, etc type of guy.

The problem is that any decent guy most likely would not want to come here. I think Greg Roman is an example of that kind of guy.

I bet the conversation will be hot and heavy during next year's season about Hue having too much on his plate and how he needs an OC. LOL

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I do think that he should have an OC to help w/practices, meetings, be a voice in his ear, concentrate on details, etc type of guy.

This reminds me of the the topic centered around "We need a proven talent evaluator/GM" conversation. How do we know Hue doesn't already have this person already in place? Someone to do the tasks you just described? Why does someone need to be called an Offensive Coordinator to do that when that role is generally around calling plays in the first place? I agree someone like Greg Roman would most likely be hired as an offensive coordinator only if he was given the role of calling plays, but I don't see the tasks you listed above needing the title of "offensive coordinator". Pep seemingly did that last year and he wasn't an offensive coordinator in title.

It's like the whole Andrew Berry thing. Just because he isn't called GM doesn't mean he is not leading talent evaluation and managing scouts. The question is who is calling the shots.

Give Hue more talent and I think that will address the concern of having/not having an OC more than anything. If you don't think Hue needs to relinquish play calling, then I don't think an Offensive Coordinator needs to be hired. If you think Hue should give it up, then that's a different conversation.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Then he could be freed up to what he was hired to do -- learn how to be a great NFL Head Coach.

And running the offense can't be a part of that?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I would prefer if he did but, if Hue calls plays I can deal with that. He did it last year. However, I do believe we need a proper QB coach. I know he has his old coach out of Pacific working with QBs...I just hope that translates into the NFL.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
However, I do believe we need a proper QB coach. I know he has his old coach out of Pacific working with QBs...I just hope that translates into the NFL.

This is more or less what I'm concerned about....has Hue hired the right people to assist with what he wants to do offensively if he is going to continue calling plays?

Tackles are tackles.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I bet the conversation will be hot and heavy during next year's season about Hue having too much on his plate and how he needs an OC. LOL

I have no doubts about that!

I wouldn't be surprised in the least that if, heaven forbid, our record isn't looking any better this year than last, that the top brass's first signs of tightening Hue's leash will be in insisting he hires an OC.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Greg Seamon, who was our TE coach last year but was Hue Jacksons OC in college when Hue was a QB.

the Asst OL coach Mark Hutson moved to TE coach.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I come down on the side of the fence that says, "no". He needs an influx of talent, a QB who can get the ball to open playmakers in a timely manner, and experience on the sideline as the HC. He's made some very stupid calls, and some highly questionable calls, but mainly as the HC. As the OC, he calls a pretty good, decently aggressive game. Time and game experience will help him grow, and refine his game managing skills. I'm ok with that.

I wish he'd rely on the run game more to establish the pass, then get a lead and keep it with the run game. Hopefully, we'll see a shift in paradigm with more talent, a decent QB, and an aggressive D that can get off the field on third down.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The TE coach now was in Oakland as TE coach when Myers had his "breakout" year (2012, I think, was looking them up the other day) there. That one seems fine.

QB coach, we'll have to see. I do like that Hue is familiar with him at least.

I'm not sure if Hue not having an OC will help or hurt us. I'm not sure how exactly he split his time last year. I think if he spends more time with the O it could help on offense as there seemed to be some disconnect at times with the play calling. I'm not sure how that will affect his head coaching and time management duties though.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

This reminds me of many conversations we have on this board. Some like to spin everything in a positive light and seemingly dislike conversation. Then, a year later they are calling for the head of <<insert name>>.

It comes down to competence. The Browns draft was disappointing. Perhaps a proven NFL talent evaluator could have done a better job. Perhaps having a proven OC and/or QB coach could help this offense.

Let's ignore all of that and draw lines in the sand, though. It's very productive.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes Hue Needs an OC ... JMHO thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
If I have the time I will scan and post Bill Walsh's breakdown of the roles and duties of the offensive staff.

But in the in between time here are some of the roles of the OC.

Nvrmd found it online here:

http://www.westcoastoffense.com/implementing%20game%20plan.htm

Might give those interested a look at the various roles of the different coaches on the offensive staff. And how much will fall on Hue's plate without an OC.

C
Legend
Legend
C
We hired Jackson because of his offensive expertise (which includes his playcalling).

I think his staff could be a little more robust, but Jackson is and should be the offensive coordinator.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
We hired Jackson because of his offensive expertise (which includes his playcalling).

I think his staff could be a little more robust, but Jackson is and should be the offensive coordinator.
You still get his offensive expertise and his playcalling without him being the offensive coordinator.
In fact I would argue that having an offensive coordinator allows Hue to fine focus his expertise, gameplanning and playcalling.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: edromeo

You still get his offensive expertise and his playcalling without him being the offensive coordinator.
In fact I would argue that having an offensive coordinator allows Hue to fine focus his expertise, gameplanning and playcalling.

He's going to take on the roll of offensive coordinator no matter what. Hiring a person to that position won't change that.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

He's going to take on the roll of offensive coordinator no matter what. Hiring a person to that position won't change that.

On top of that, IIRC, when Hue was first hired and asked about it, didn't he say something to the effect that he preferred being much more hands on Game Day?

IMO unless or until he shows that he can't do both, I don't see hiring an OC as a necessity.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think ed provided the most reasonable and correct answer.

I don't think that Hue needs to bring in someone to be the playcaller. I do think that he should have an OC to help w/practices, meetings, be a voice in his ear, concentrate on details, etc type of guy.

The problem is that any decent guy most likely would not want to come here. I think Greg Roman is an example of that kind of guy.

I agree. I said it some days ago. The problem is it is hard to find a "OC" who is going to run Hue's O and have Hue call plays.

In most cases the OC installs his O and calls the plays.

It is hard to make a name for yourself if you aren't able to do that. To me that makes you a senior O coach.

To me, it isn't the same.

I am beginning to wonder about Hue. Last year when Hue was talking about QB play he said the two things he sought were vision and accuracy. This year it is vision and arm talent.

To me, accuracy and arm talent atrn't the same thing.

Hue might not be the QB guru that some thought. If I was Sasi, Hue might still gave the biggest hammer on QB stuff, but mine just go a lot bigger and his a little smaller.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E

IF An OC is hired why do you think Hue would will still take on that role? What do you think the role of offensive coordinator entails?

Last edited by edromeo; 01/26/17 07:56 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C

IF An OC is hired why do you think Hue would will still take on that role? What do you think the role of offensive coordinator entails?

Hue Jackson has a huge ego and having an "offensive coordinator" on staff would not change anything Jackson does.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Hue Jackson has a huge ego and having an "offensive coordinator" on staff would not change anything Jackson does.
IF An OC is hired why do you think Hue would will still take on that role?

What do you think the role of offensive coordinator entails?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

On top of that, IIRC, when Hue was first hired and asked about it, didn't he say something to the effect that he preferred being much more hands on Game Day?

IMO unless or until he shows that he can't do both, I don't see hiring an OC as a necessity.

You are typically reasonable. Not sure how you can agree w/cfrs's post.

Also, it ain't working. Horton got fired. His defense was ranked 30th in scoring and 31st in yards. Hue's offense was ranked 31st in scoring and 30th in yards.

Not sure how that equates to getting it done?

Also, his top assistant resigned and went to a collegiate program. If that doesn't tell you how bad things are in Cleveland, well..........no further comment.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 01/26/17 08:29 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is Hue's offense, I think he would be the best one to call it. I think Hamilton was the defacto OC last year. He knows the offence and has taught it.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Will you clarify?

Are you talking about playcalling or being an OC? Or, are you confusing them?

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Green Bay isn't bringing Tom Clements back

L
Legend
Legend
L
Tom freaking Clements.
I saw Tom Clements throw a Grey Cup-winning TD pass in 1976, when he played for the Ottawa rough riders. Tony Gabriel caught it.

He must be in his early 60s. Played for KC for awhile I think.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Does Hue Need an O Coordinator?

Link Copied to Clipboard