Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: dawg66
j/c

If the Browns trade for Garoppolo they better not give up more then the 33rd pick because I don't see how a guy who was a late 2nd round pick and has had very limited playing time in three years is suddenly worth more then that.

Where he was drafted is irrelevant. It's how the market values him that matters.

He's still basically the same unknown quantity he was three years ago and at that time nobody was willing to give up more then a late 2nd rnd pick for him so why has the market suddenly changed? If the teams weren't totally sold on him back then what makes them think he is the answer now? especially when it's gonna cost them a ton of money just to find out.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's all about if you believe he's a franchise QB or not. If you do, he's worth a first round pick and then some. If not, you don't believe he's worth it.

The fact is there will probably be teams vying for his services. Value will be determined according to what the market will bear.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Vambo
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Quote:
Think of it this way. We know JImmy G. can put up Tom Brady numbers in the same system Tom plays in.

Now all you need is Tom Bradys receivers, Oline and running game and whoever calls the plays an we are all set LOL

If you have the QB the rest is a lot easier to get. If you don't have the QB the rest is pretty useless. Cleveland has proven that over and over again.

Tell that to Andrew Luck.Ryan Grigson

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
j/c

If the Browns trade for Garoppolo they better not give up more then the 33rd pick because I don't see how a guy who was a late 2nd round pick and has had very limited playing time in three years is suddenly worth more then that.

Where he was drafted is irrelevant. It's how the market values him that matters.

He's still basically the same unknown quantity he was three years ago and at that time nobody was willing to give up more then a late 2nd rnd pick for him so why has the market suddenly changed? If the teams weren't totally sold on him back then what makes them think he is the answer now? especially when it's gonna cost them a ton of money just to find out.

His perceived value has gone up. I understand if you don't agree with the reasoning behind his value going up, but it has.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It's all about if you believe he's a franchise QB or not. If you do, he's worth a first round pick and then some. If not, you don't believe he's worth it.

The fact is there will probably be teams vying for his services. Value will be determined according to what the market will bear.

Assuming we do get JG, regardless of what it took I have a feeling that we'll be happy with the actual terms of the deal. This FO if nothing else has put together some very good deals so far.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
If JimmyG is the Browns QB this season and if the H-boys do not address the OLine needs, there is a good chance that Garoppolo will heading for IR.

I'm not being negative..just realistic.

Wouldn't this be true of whoever the QB is? Or do you see Jimmy as extra fragile?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

I think I've spelled his name like 3 different ways. My phone can't even autocorrect it.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
If JimmyG is the Browns QB this season and if the H-boys do not address the OLine needs, there is a good chance that Garoppolo will heading for IR.

If he got hurt playing for NE, imagine with the Browns...

First thing a Browns QB has to have is durability

Or quick decision making and a fast release...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Quote:
Several NFL sources I've spoken to over the last week expect Jimmy Garoppolo to wind up with the #Browns

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/827608709396361221

Tackles are tackles.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Quote:
Several NFL sources I've spoken to over the last week expect Jimmy Garoppolo to wind up with the #Browns

This is good news. It is my opinion that Garoppolo is the best of a bunch of uncertain options. I hope we don't give up too much if we do trade for him.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Quote:

This is good news. It is my opinion that Garoppolo is the best of a bunch of uncertain options. I hope we don't give up too much if we do trade for him.

And Allbright is general on point with his information.

Tackles are tackles.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
btw back when we drafted manziel our OC who is now the HC of the 49ers wanted to draft Jimmy G. at #22. So at least some thought he was a first round talent. Friggin Haslem!!!

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
M
Legend
Legend
M
btw back when we drafted manziel our OC who is now the HC of the 49ers wanted to draft Jimmy G. at #22. So at least some thought he was a first round talent. Friggin Haslem!!!

This was brought up on 92.3 The Fan this morning. Both morning hosts tend to get inside info to the team, especially Ken Carmen, and they mirrored the same tone regarding Haslem. That's not to say Farmer didn't like Manziel (I don't know) but the Haslem intervening comments have been overwhelming since that decision was made. It's tough to look past that.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Lets do a Herschel or Ricky Williams like deal.... get errr dun.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Lets do a Herschel or Ricky Williams like deal.... get errr dun.

Wut.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

This was brought up on 92.3 The Fan this morning. Both morning hosts tend to get inside info to the team, especially Ken Carmen, and they mirrored the same tone regarding Haslem. That's not to say Farmer didn't like Manziel (I don't know) but the Haslem intervening comments have been overwhelming since that decision was made. It's tough to look past that.

I'm pretty sure that Haslem forcing Manziel on Mike Shanahan when he didn't want him is one of the main reason he left the Browns. It was either going to be carr or jimmy until haslem override everyone there according to Mike himself.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kyle-s...rafted-manziel/

BTW that would be like telling Hue we don't value his opinion on QB's. Kyle is one of the top OC in the country and we totally ignored what he had to say. I just think it's funny though that me and him had the same opinion on the QB's of that draft =)

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Wouldn't this be true of whoever the QB is? Or do you see Jimmy as extra fragile?

cap...it IS TRUE and will continue to be an issue until the Browns draft team does something positive to address the OLine needs.

Yes, Garoppolo's durability is an issue and as far as him being more fragile...that will be determined over time.

The Browns 2017 offensive line will be in a state flux as the Browns determine how to deal with the center and RT positions.

Ideally, brining in a new QB and putting him behind a questionable OLine is going to be a bit of a gamble...

...what could go wrong?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

I'm pretty sure that Haslem forcing Manziel on Mike Shanahan when he didn't want him is one of the main reason he left the Browns. It was either going to be carr or jimmy until haslem override everyone there according to Mike himself.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kyle-s...rafted-manziel/

BTW that would be like telling Hue we don't value his opinion on QB's. Kyle is one of the top OC in the country and we totally ignored what he had to say. I just think it's funny though that me and him had the same opinion on the QB's of that draft =)

There was a story out somewhere this week that Shanahan had agreed to go to the Browns because he thought he would be working with Dan Quinn, but then they hired Pettine.

https://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-brow...nted-to-be-with

Edit:

My details are a little off. Quinn and Shanahan were a package deal. Quinn didn't get a head coaching job, Shanahan came to us (there are rumors that we were going to hire Quinn but didn't want to wait until after the Super Bowl).

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Shanahan told ESPN Cleveland that the infamous 32-point presentation he made was not a PowerPoint to the owner but was given to Pettine in writing. Shanahan summed it up this way: "It's tough to win when you're not on the same page."

Ha! I remember when people thought that was a legitimate thing. Right, Vers?

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I believe at the time Quinn was deep into the playoffs (Superbowl) with Seattle. I forget but will assume Pettine was hired before that game.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

Wut.

Hershel Walker ... Ricky Williams.... teams gave up an entire draft to acquire them.

I'm only kidding. I do want JG, I'm just laughing at how the media and teams will spin the story to increase interest and the cost ... it's long ass way to go before the draft is here, this story is probably not going to rest for a day before a trade is finally made by whichever team. There's a chance it could be made before the draft - I sure hope so.

As someone else has indicated, the FO does seem to have pulled off some fair value trades. Here's hoping to another one.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Is there a day that goes by where you don't try and start an argument w/me?

Back to the football:

--We have posters talking about Jimmy G's injury history, however, to the best of my knowledge, he never missed a game in college due to injury. How can people use words like "fragile" or phrases like "not durable?"

--Others are complaining about the cost and saying things like "what could go wrong." However, the Brown's qb situation is terrible. That's been going wrong for decades. If the Browns think Jimmy G is the real deal, it would be wise to take a shot on him.

--The OL is not nearly as bad as some claim. Jimmy G is known for his quick decision making. That makes an OL look better and we have seen it in the past when DA replaced Frye and Hoyer replaced Weeden.

--I cannot guarantee that Jimmy G will be great, but I like him better than any of the qbs in the draft. Much better. And it's not like there isn't risk w/drafting a qb high, because you are more or less married to him for at least 3 years. We've seen that situation play out a couple of times, too.

--I think the prospect of drafting Garrett and trading for Jimmy G is exciting. The Browns could very well gain two true impact players at the two most important positions on the field.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agree on all 5 points...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I agree with you 100% vers 8)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agree across the board with that post, dawg

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

WOW! The above 3 posts and 3 "likes" to boot...see what happens when you play nice. thumbsup

L
Legend
Legend
L
When was Vers playing nice? wink

I think posters were merely stating their agreement.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
He was just trying to start more trouble.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Remember the old slogan "When E.F. Hutton talks, everybody listens"?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Can we please get back to the topic at hand and stop talking about me?

Thank you.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree with you 100% vers 8)

Me too. Vers is bringing some logic here.

I'm not impressed with this year's groups of QBs. Everyone has a significant flaw. JG has the quick release, a strong arm,

Not having a QB has held our team back big-time. And if we can add-in Garrett too, things will be looking real good. We have missed on so many 1st rounders, and Garrett is an impact player that could make an immediate impact. Ogbah, Shelton, and Garrett is a pretty good start for a D-Line.

I'm just hoping we can get this deal done without having to give up our 12 pick. Doubt it though. I think the Pats will say "Okay folks, let's see your best offers" (like the Rams did with the RG3), and we'll offer our 12. I just don't think anyone is going to beat that. That's the way I'd do it if I was New England. Right down to business. Chicago and SF will be making offers, and we'll have to outbid them (and I just don't see them giving 2nd or 3rd for him).

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
L
Legend
Legend
L
Lemme ask: would you roll the dice and trade the 12th pick for him?
I think I would. I hope they do.

gmstrong

-----------------

L
Legend
Legend
L
Another thing: the guy we draft at 12 might bust, whether it's a QB or any other position. So why not take the gamble on a QB you think will work out? No different than many other gambles, but with a bigger payoff if you get a franchise QB.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Lemme ask: would you roll the dice and trade the 12th pick for him?
I think I would. I hope they do.

I'm not trying to dodge your question, but I really don't have enough knowledge about the financial aspects of the game to answer that question w/intelligence.

If the market value suggests that other teams are willing to give up similar compensation, then yes, go for it.

I just don't know what his market value is. I trust the FO guys w/their business backgrounds to sort through all of that. They know way more about that stuff than I do.

I just think Jimmy G is a good player and has a legit shot of solving our qb situation.

And I hate to keep repeating this, but man bro.......getting an impact edge rusher and a franchise qb in the same year would be quite the haul.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Far from it. I was simply giving you a compliment and delivered it in a (hopefully) humorous manner.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There were 4 highly valued QB in that draft; Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr, & Manziel, with Garoppolo close behind. If Bortles or Manziel (or both) hadn't declared early, or if he had come out in a different year, he probably would have been a first or early second round pick.(FWIW, I think Tom Savage was in the same boat.)

Last edited by W84NxtYrAgain; 02/03/17 11:44 PM.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
There were 4 highly valued QB in that draft; Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr, & Manziel, with Garoppolo close behind. Had he come out in a different year, he probably would have been taken higher by a QB needy team. (FWIW, I think Tom Savage was in the same boat.)

Even then, Bortles was a total shock going that high and then the others all fell much farther than predicted.

L
Legend
Legend
L

Just saw this. I wouldn't classify bbrowns32 as a troublemaker lol.

gmstrong

-----------------

H
1st String
1st String
H
Sf and Chicago aren't giveing their 1st. We can get him with 33. Ne would love back to back picks at 32-33, if they win of course.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: highoman
Sf and Chicago aren't giveing their 1st. We can get him with 33. Ne would love back to back picks at 32-33, if they win of course.

If we want Garoppolo, we can get him. We have more ammunition than anyone.

The only thing I would be worried about would be a pick swap.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Garoppolo Part Three

Link Copied to Clipboard