Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Let the discussion continue...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Isn't this like the 100th thread on the subject? Beating that old dead horse won't change nada.
JMHO.

[Linked Image]

E
Legend
Legend
E
Vers...it is correct then to answer your question. Of course you were I'm sure looking for confirmation from other posters. And no I am not going to spend time and effort to find a link. Just it was out there for all to see on this board...there was not secret about it.

On Schwartz's behalf they cam back before FA started as they used that Free zone period to see what they were worth. But our contract offer was out there before March. When it was obvious they over estimated his market value and they came back we said...woah that contract offer is no longer out there - now that we all know the worth lets start over.

I also stated I thought this was a mistake by our FO we should have signed him to that contract.

But facts are facts...it is what had happened with possibly some not exact quotes in there. But there were questions on the happenings. I am 100% of this.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
jc...

As fans, we only know what is said or printed about each attempt to re-sign the talent the team needs in order to improve.

It seems the only time the behind the scenes details become a story is when the Browns "fail" to get a player resigned.

The Schwartz situation is a classic example of what is wrong in Cleveland. Haslam and/or his Harvard GM lost sight of what their goal should have been...to get your RT re-signed!

Haslam and/or Sashi allowed their personal feelings to become a factor, losing sight of what the front office's goal was supposed to be...to get your RT re-signed!

Who gives a damn if Schwartz's agent shopped the offer the Browns made at the combine? Schwartz and his agent decided to accept the offer Haslam and Sashi made them...in other words, THE FRONT OFFICE WON...they achieved the front office's goal...they re-signed their RT at their price...Schwartz accepted the offer the front office made...what more did the front office want?

When Haslam and Sashi found out Schwartz's agent shopped their offer, they became "butt hurt" and decided to retaliate by pulling the offer. THAT SURE HELPED THE FRANCHISE, DIDN'T IT?

When Haslam and Sashi allowed their personal emotions to interfere with the goal of the front office...the goal to get their RT re-signed...THEY FAILED as an owner and a GM. The owner and GM decided to change the goal of the front office from re-signing Schwartz to pulling the offer in an attempt to send a message to Schwartz and his agent. IT WAS BUSH LEAGUE BS from an inexperienced egotistic owner and his rookie Harvard lawyer/GM.

Losing Mack was bad enough but then losing Schwartz because the owner and gm were butthurt and allowed their emotions to interfere with the franchise goal of retaining the best RT the Browns have had in a long time. Something that I have a hard time accepting...the owner and gm had no problem paying free agent QB, RG3 7.5 million per year (hurt in first game) but when it came time to re-signing one of their own players, a guy who HAD NOT missed a game in 4 yrs and improved his play every year, Haslam and Sashi refused to pay Schwartz the 7.5 million they offered him earlier...unbelievable!

The owner and his Harvard management need to grow a thicker skin and stop acting like the franchise is broke. Maybe they learned from their failures of the past..getting Collins signed was a good start, imo...but they still have a lot of work to do, signing those players who have performed well under some tough circumstances.

Watching the Super Bowl, seeing all those ex-Browns, good enough to help their team reach and play in the Super Bowl..but not good enough for the Browns..I just shake my head. Haslam and his many front office groups have grossly miss-judged talent, allowing some good players to leave, receiving little or nothing in return.

Just looking at the mis-steps Haslam and his management teams have made, most are a result of inexperience and lack of football knowledge. If ever there was a franchise in need of experienced front office help, it is the Browns. Hue has asked for someone with old school football experience to be added to the front office...but so far, Haslam has done nothing.

Until the Browns get their management team completed with all the necessary positions filled, expect more of the same type of personnel miss-judgments..examples such as we saw in yesterday's Super Bowl

jmho...mac

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Not paying Schwartz was moronic. Im glad he walked if the original offer was rescinded....he was worth every bit that original offer was and maybe a little bit more....ask our Qb this year if he was worth the money LOL

You know he had to be chuckling at the Browns QB getting smeared every play

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Arguably there's most ego driven and crucial blunder to date.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

Schwartz was moronic thumbing his nose to the best contract offered him.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Vambo

When is it moronic to gamble a bit and test the waters for more money, and because of that, ending up taking a 5 year $33 mil deal with a playoff caliber team instead of staying with the last place Browns?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

When is it moronic to gamble a bit and test the waters for more money, and because of that, ending up taking a 5 year $33 mil deal with a playoff caliber team instead of staying with the last place Browns?

Because by most he wanted to stay in Cleveland. catfight

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

There's nothing wrong with seeing what other offers are on the table. That's the agent's job. The moronic thumbing of the nose was Sashi pulling the offer simply because his feelings were hurt. Ego-driven, BS, bush-league, amateur move.

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
jc

I hope the harvard boys were watching the post season so they can see what a winning football team looks like.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

There's nothing wrong with seeing what other offers are on the table. That's the agent's job. The moronic thumbing of the nose was Sashi pulling the offer simply because his feelings were hurt. Ego-driven, BS, bush-league, amateur move.

The agent's job was to thumb his nose at the best offer then sign with a team paying less? That seems more moronic!

C
Legend
Legend
C

The agent's job was to thumb his nose at the best offer then sign with a team paying less? That seems more moronic!

It was a failure by both parties.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Just how many of the other 30 teams made offers?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

And nobody on either side of this issue was in the room to know the details. Everyone is just assuming based on their own bias.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
+1, reported he went to team offering less money.....duh, did he want to leave, seems to me that was the case.....Go Browns

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

How do you get "Thumbing his nose" from "seeing what other offers are on the table"? They checked his value to the market, nothing wrong with that. When they tried to take the higher offer, Sashi pulled it because it offended his sensibilities. Instead of just getting him signed, the simplest, most basic, fundamentally correct thing he could have done. I guess Sashi showed him - and us - who's boss. Go Sashi! thumbsup

Quote:
Just how many of the other 30 teams made offers?

What difference does it make? None. Browns pulled the offer like little whiners, he took the second highest offer and went to the playoffs. Who cares how many other teams made offers? Fans got boned. The team got boned. The QBs got boned, and the O-line got boned. Even Sashi got boned. All of those people got boned because of a stupid ego play.

JMHO

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: eotab
Vers...it is correct then to answer your question. Of course you were I'm sure looking for confirmation from other posters. And no I am not going to spend time and effort to find a link. Just it was out there for all to see on this board...there was not secret about it.

On Schwartz's behalf they cam back before FA started as they used that Free zone period to see what they were worth. But our contract offer was out there before March. When it was obvious they over estimated his market value and they came back we said...woah that contract offer is no longer out there - now that we all know the worth lets start over.

I also stated I thought this was a mistake by our FO we should have signed him to that contract.

But facts are facts...it is what had happened with possibly some not exact quotes in there. But there were questions on the happenings. I am 100% of this.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a mistake by the front office. More of a mistake by Schwartz.

P
Legend
Legend
P
He had until the opening of the FA period to accept the offer. He did just that. Then this FO pulled the offer. And as much as people say he signed for less, he actually got more guaranteed money.

That what players look for in a contract.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The front office made offers to both Schwartz and Mack, but to look elsewhere.

Both could have been the highest paid at their position (minus the insane contract for philly's RT). They both chose to leave and not sign the contracts with the Browns.

The Browns moved on. I can't blame either Schwartz or Mack.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Do you blame the front office....players leaving losing I understand, but to put "blame" on front office makes NO sense to me.....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

The only failure is the Browns win loss record.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
No reason to blame the front office. They were willing to pay both and both decided no.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
He had until the opening of the FA period to accept the offer. He did just that. Then this FO pulled the offer. And as much as people say he signed for less, he actually got more guaranteed money.

That what players look for in a contract.

I thought the offer was only good if he didn't shop elsewhere. Not that that's a good thing.

I think the FO was a little too focused on not getting played to help their players get better deals elsewhere.

In the end, it wasn't a good thing for the Browns that he signed elsewhere.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Both could have been the highest paid at their position (minus the insane contract for philly's RT). They both chose to leave and not sign the contracts with the Browns.

I'm just wondering.....

Since this was well before the draft, who exactly had the Browns "moved onto" by the first day of FA signing?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

I'm just wondering.....

Since this was well before the draft, who exactly had the Browns "moved onto" by the first day of FA signing?

I think there is a difference between "moved on" and "moved onto".

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
P
Legend
Legend
P
Okay, answer it the other way. There was no plan in place moving forward and neither position was adequately addressed.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think you're 100% right, Pitt. Without the benefit of hindsight, Mack's departure was planned for, but Schwartz's was not. We all know how poorly Erving did, but he was a first round draft pick with a year under his belt that was looking to pick up the reins. RT we had nothing but the FA scrap heap and the later rounds of the draft.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Schwartz wanted to go he turned down the best offer given to him he had only one other offer out of thirty teams and he had taken less to go. If he wanted to stay he would have taken the more than FAIR offer the Browns had made him.

Just as Schwartz had the option to shop the free market the Browns had to option to adjust their offer once he chose to shop.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Schwartz wanted to go he turned down the best offer given to him he had only one other offer out of thirty teams and he had taken less to go. If he wanted to stay he would have taken the more than FAIR offer the Browns had made him.

Just as Schwartz had the option to shop the free market the Browns had to option to adjust their offer once he chose to shop.

I believe this to be the most accurate assessment of the situation.

Schwartz believed he was worth more than the second highest paid RT in the game. If anything I'd blame his agent.

Browns probably felt Pasztor was an adequate RT while they groomed the likes of Drango and Coleman during a rebuilding season. I still wouldn't discredit one of them as being our RT of the future. Not every player has to come from the first 2 rounds.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm not sure I totally agree with that. There hasn't been anything conclusive put out there, so all we can do is speculate.

It seems to me, that when Schwartz went out and tested the market, and didn't get what he wanted, he then came back to Cleveland, and we started jerking him around. I don't understand why we would modify our offer at all once we made our proposal. The dollar amount that we value his services shouldn't change if he decides to test the market.

I believe Mack wanted to leave, and did the first real opportunity that he could. I think Schwartz wanted to get paid, but also wanted to stay in Cleveland. It's all speculation, so who really knows... :-/

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I'm not sure I totally agree with that. There hasn't been anything conclusive put out there, so all we can do is speculate.

It seems to me, that when Schwartz went out and tested the market, and didn't get what he wanted, he then came back to Cleveland, and we started jerking him around. I don't understand why we would modify our offer at all once we made our proposal. The dollar amount that we value his services shouldn't change if he decides to test the market.

I believe Mack wanted to leave, and did the first real opportunity that he could. I think Schwartz wanted to get paid, but also wanted to stay in Cleveland. It's all speculation, so who really knows... :-/

If by "we started jerking him around." you mean adjusted offer to fit FAIR market value.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. Test the market and you might not like what you find.

If I hand him a good offer and he seeks to play off of that and comes back wanting to sign, I am going to play him down. That's telling me I offerd too much.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
You don't think adjusting an offer down when a guy comes back from testing the market (assuming that's actually what happened here) is being petty and cheap? I do.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
You don't think adjusting an offer down when a guy comes back from testing the market (assuming that's actually what happened here) is being petty and cheap? I do.

I would agree. It's old news now, but if they thought he was worth what they initially offered - and they must have - you don't pull the offer just for spite, or to save a few dollars.
Stupid move.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B

I don't. If you were buying a car on the street, you would.

You offer $9,000 to the seller for a 10 year old truck. He says he has a few more interested people, then comes back and says, OK, I'll take it.

I would say, well, the offer is $8000 now and see where it goes from there.

It isn't being petty or cheap. It's simply good business. Now all of a sudden they have you wondering what the real market value might be, because all along you were prepared to counter higher.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

I would agree. It's old news now, but if they thought he was worth what they initially offered - and they must have - you don't pull the offer just for spite, or to save a few dollars.
Stupid move.

If he turned down the offer thinking he was worth more why would he be willing to accept LESS?

Why was it not an insult for KC to offer less? (being cheap?)

Why did none of the other teams make an offer?(being cheap?)

So none of the other 31 teams thought he was worth the Browns first offer.(being cheap?)

L
Legend
Legend
L
I can respect your points, I simply view it differently. For the sake of the football team , they should have said 'great, the offer stands, now sign it and let's move forward.'

Edit: removed borderline masked profanity

Last edited by lampdogg; 02/07/17 08:42 PM.

gmstrong

-----------------

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I can respect your points, I simply view it differently. For the sake of the effing football team , they should have said 'great, the offer stands, now sign it and let's move forward.'

Bad for business you'd go broke, In both cases they make FAIR offers sending the message they are willing to spend but don't want to be used as a leverage tool for the agent to get more money.

L
Legend
Legend
L
A bad 'business' move in this case was losing a better-than-average RT, creating one more issue that needed to be addressed.

gmstrong

-----------------

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Front Office...continued

Link Copied to Clipboard