Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A

Cleveland Browns
Browns re-sign wide receiver Rannell Hall, who sat out all of last season with fractured fibula.

Wide receiver Rannell Hall is set to make his comeback attempt with the Browns.
The Browns re-signed Hall on Friday. He appeared in one regular-season game with them in 2015 after they signed him off the practice squad of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He later suffered a fractured fibula in the 2016 preseason opener and sat out this past season.
Hall, 6-foot and 200 pounds, entered the NFL two years ago when he signed with the Buccaneers as an undrafted free agent.
He has appeared in just one regular-season NFL game without recording any statistics.
In three preseason games with the Buccaneers in 2015, he compiled eight catches for 104 yards. In the Browns' 2016 exhibition opener, he had two catches for 27 yards before he suffered the broken leg with 6:05 left in the third quarter.
At the University of Central Florida, Hall started 27 of the 49 games in which he appeared and tallied 145 receptions for 2,051 yards and nine touchdowns.

Don't remember this kid but I guess another body provides more competition...

Legend
Legend
Who?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
this is a good signing...we have a "cuts" thread. We should also maybe have a "signings" thread as well

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Legend
Legend
He's a guy with good size and speed, and worth giving a chance. He was the top performer at the combine in long jump and vertical, and his scouting report says that he has good body control.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Can he catch? Are his hands good? Away from the body? I am interested, but I don't know the guy.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
One report said that his hands are so-so, and another said they were solid. Who knows? lol

Her's a guy who gets a chance in camp. The 2 most recent administrations liked him .... so maybe there's something there.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Maybe he can be our new Taylor Gabriel. thumbsup

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

Good thing we cut that other Taylor Gabriel to make room for this new one.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

Good thing we cut that other Taylor Gabriel to make room for this new one.
yeah, but it's not like the original taylor gabriel won the super bowl brownie

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Rannell Hall made some amazing plays at UCF and I liked him every bit as much as Perriman his teammate. I saw them both as third rounders. Perriman obviously the better athlete but Hall had the ability to make some spectacular catches. Plus he was doing well this past offseason for us and into the preseason before getting hurt.

Legend
Legend
Remember the name, just not anything else. We'll see if he can contribute

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
I remember him getting Taylor Gabriel type praise in the Camps I also remember Saunders really gaga over him.

jmho recollection. He still will have to make the team. I'm sure the signing is around league minimum.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

At least as much as Hollywood Higgins and Ricardo Lewis.....oh wait...they didn't contribute.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

At least as much as Hollywood Higgins and Ricardo Lewis.....oh wait...they didn't contribute.
Ricardo Louis was one of the worst WRs I've ever seen drafted

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Has a franchise ever been as Bad as the Browns since the return in drafting WRs? Maybe The Niners?
Every GM the Browns have had failed at drafting WRs...
Savage Mangini Farmer Heckert Brown.
And the one GM who actually played WR did get one right at least for a couple years was Dwight Clark .he did ok with Kevin Johnson
Ranell Hall might have a chance to stick cause Peyton Higgins Louis are draft busts so far

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I am so tired of hearing how a guy is a bust after one year all the time on here. It's never ending. It seems like every player who comes through our organization is a bust if he doesn't have a bunch of highlight plays in his rookie campaign. Then turnaround and complain how we let talent walk. More often then not that's not how it works. Guys need time. Let's give these guys a chance. I know the track record hasn't been great, but wow. Writing a player off after one season is not how you build a franchise.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
Who?

+1

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: Swish
Who?

+1

+2

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Who? LOL

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Right position.
Wrong player

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Did you see anything out of Louis and Higgins last year that made you go "wow"
I didnt.
In this day and age of the NFL front offices and coaches are looking for players that can make plays NOW.
It doesn't matter what RD he comes from.
How come the Browns can't draft players that can produce NOW.
Every pick by the Browns is a developmental pick
Meanwhile playoff teams are drafting players that are making plays now and not waiting 3 years from now
Meanwhile while the Browns are cutting their losses by year 3 or 4 those teams are reaping the benefits of
Difference makers

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:
Ricardo Louis was one of the worst WRs I've ever seen drafted

I am not writing him or any other receiver just yet.

I know Louis was one of the top performers at the combine in the 4 main areas...speed,vert,weightlifting and broad jump. He is a thick player as well, so he has some positive traits.

The second year is where most receivers start to hit their stride.

We'll see.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
I didnt.
In this day and age of the NFL front offices and coaches are looking for players that can make plays NOW.
It doesn't matter what RD he comes from.
How come the Browns can't draft players that can produce NOW.
Every pick by the Browns is a developmental pick
Meanwhile playoff teams are drafting players that are making plays now and not waiting 3 years from now
Meanwhile while the Browns are cutting their losses by year 3 or 4 those teams are reaping the benefits of
Difference makers

Maybe because teams that are making the playoffs, are well established and have a QB..The Browns are neither. I remember many dogging Gabriel for drops his last year here.

A wide receiver drafted by the Browns, is expected to carry four different QBs every year. You can't develop that way. There have been many games, were the WRs are getting open, but the QB of the day isn't either seeing it, or just too afraid to throw it.

There were many WRs that left good QBs to go to another team and be mediocre at best.

Coleman, on the other hand, is a high first rounder, he should be producing. But I have to give him the benefit of the doubt, due to him being injured.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Actually, maybe in the last game I said that about Lewis.

He made a few nice catches, but I had forgotten he was that big.

He looks like a stout running back with 4.4/4.5 speed.

Now we will find out he he simply looks like Greg Little at 6'2", 220lb or if he can actually catch and run routes.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
So we drafted Coleman, Louis, Payton, Higgins ... that's about the least inspiring group of rookie WRs we could have picked. Not saying they won't improve or become Pro Bowlers, etc ... just a very bland group as rookies

Legend
Legend
It's not like there were a handful of rookies this year that we're going crazy.

Sterling Shephard did pretty well as a #2, possibly #3 if you count Cruz.

Michael Thomas was good in NO, with Drew Bree's throwing him the ball.

Didn't hear much about Doctson (who I wanted) in Washington.

And Tredwell had a lot of negative reports about him in Minny.

Will Fuller (again, a #2 target) was probably the most notable one unless I'm forgetting someone.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
are there any other football fans who expect their fourth and fifth round wide receiver picks to "wow" you their first season?? trying to learn the professional game while catching balls from six different quarterbacks. do you really not think they will take time to develop?? if we give up on players as quickly as you do, stripper, we will never develop any players. give them some time.

Legend
Legend
obviously I don't expect them to be WOW type players in year one, but there really wasn't much to make me even feel enthused. Even if Coleman showed great flashes ... but he didnt really inspire much

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree we have to give them a chance. Besides, how much can you learn and develop when you have 4or5 qb's throwing the ball? It was no better than training camp.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Louis Higgins and Peyton combined for a mere 25 catches 270 yds and a whopping 0 tds.
There's a reason why a player like Terrell Pryor can come along
With very little snaps at WR in career and basically ascend to be
Number 1 wr by seasons end
Cause Louis Higgins and Peyton combined don't do anything that equates
To being diffrence makers
Going through 5 qbs is just a excuse for their porous production

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Ummmm....yeah, you may want to revisit the fact they were fourth round picks. Fourth rounders. There's probably a reason that every team in the league passed on them three times. Because they are projects. And the fourth round is where you find the project guys. So, to expect them to be impact, or "wow" players is just not realistic.

So, in summary: they are fourth round talents, who, if they develop, are found money. If they don't, well, they were picked in the fourth round for a reason.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Just for [censored] n' giggles, let's do a theoretical excercise. Let's say that all three of the WR's we picked in the fourth round end up being , at best, number three wide receivers. Which is entirely possible. Now, let's imagine they all three turn out to be ST studs. Would they still be considered busts? If so, why? A contributing player is a contributing player, yes? No matter where or for what position he was picked, right?

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I said during the draft Richardo Louis ceiling is that of Heyward Bey...and not to touch him until the very late rounds...Browns always reach

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
He was the top performer at the combine in long jump and vertical

Incorrect. He was near the top. Conley had the best vert for example. Sorry.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: berea
Conley had the best vert in 2015. Sorry.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: berea
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
He was the top performer at the combine in long jump and vertical

Incorrect. He was near the top. Conley had the best vert for example. Sorry.

Either CBS or NLF.com had him as the top. Maybe it was a different year, I just looked at the "stars" signifying the top performer.

Regardless, he has a very good vertical. (and long jump, for whatever that gives him)

P
Legend
Legend
P
It cracks me up how much stock people put into combine numbers. It seems they believe track stars should be considered great football players?

Film tells you everything about players.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It cracks me up how much stock people put into combine numbers. It seems they believe track stars should be considered great football players?

100% agree with you. 4.3 speed vs. 4.5 speed. What's the difference? Well, it's a measurable, ok. Hands? Can the guy that runs a 4.3 catch reliably? Or is he just "fast".

Quickness beats out speed on almost every play in football.

Strength is great. Guy can bench 225 35 times? Awesome. Some other guy, same position, can only do it 20 times? That makes the other guy stronger, NOT better at football.

I know, I get it, the combine gets into "measurables", and that's all well and good. The biggest measurable is "how does the guy play football?" Tape will tell you that. The un measurable? Heart. Desire.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Tell that to Gregg Williams...

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
B
Legend
Legend
B

It tells you a lot, but I don't totally agree with your statement, especially with mid round and lower round guys, small school guys. The combine puts them on equal footing with a guy like Garrett.

A lot of players mature later than others. Garrett may have been a man amoungst boys in HS, thus he was that 5 star who had offers at pretty much any school of any note. It's more a question of who didn't make a offer.

Then you have the guy who ends up growing 3 more inches when 19 and 20, puts on desired weight, but out of HS was a 3.5 star who didn't garner much interest by the big 5 schools other than a prefered walk. They ended up having to play at Furman or Tennessee Chattanooga where they got a "ride".

I mention UTC because we have a kid, Keionta Davis, who I think can be a pretty darn good pro at DE. I'd like to see us draft him in the 6th, but he will probably go late 5th???

Good pick whoever takes him.

Then again, he is one of those guys who will have to show up at the combine. Maybe he has a bad week, so to speak. If so, he would be one of the first I called as a UDFA, because he has the tape. Well, I guess it isn't tape anymore. He has the vid.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns re-sign wide receiver Rannell Hall

Link Copied to Clipboard