Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:
I don't know what Saban's game plan was, he may have done that, I don't know and neither do you.

I am pretty sure I am right. It is fairly standard coaching practice to test a injured player. It would be stupid not to.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
What did I post that was false there Vers? Please do tell. I gave MY TAKE on what I saw, never once did I say it was fact. Again MY TAKE, you don't agree with that, fine. I don't need your approval. Why don't you just stop telling people on here how wrong we are and actually talk some football, for once. Or don't, I really don't care.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
And having a great first step keeps him from staying blocked.

never heard someone say that a player relies on having a quick step too much.

lol, that's what i was thinking. Having a quick first step for a guy with his hand in the dirt is pretty much always the first part of pass rushing........

It's not like "Relies too much on his swim move" or something like that. You're always supposed to have a quick first step........... it helps you get the tackle off balance. It's always an advantage

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 02/27/17 12:29 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

And having a great first step keeps him from staying blocked.

never heard someone say that a player relies on having a quick step too much.

You have to explain what you mean by this,not doubting, just don't understand exactly how it Keeps you from STAYING blocked. I can see how it would keep you from being blocked initially, by getting on top of a guy before he gets set. But if a good tackle does get in front of you and gets set the first step won't help you get off that block.

From Garrett, what I meant by relying on his first step, is that at times(and maybe it was the ankle) when a tackle gets a hold of him he doesn't always show that he can disengage from that block. Again that's MY take.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: dean_fairchild
From Garrett, what I meant by relying on his first step, is that at times(and maybe it was the ankle) when a tackle gets a hold of him he doesn't always show that he can disengage from that block. Again that's MY take.

See, this clarifies things a little.

What you said first was that he relies too much on his first step, and i'm thinking (everyone has a first step, and you always want to be the quickest, it's not like "Relies too much on his swim move" or something like that. A quick first step is pretty much always necessary, no matter what you're doing, unless you're stunting or dropping into coverage.

But when you're saying is that when a tackle is properly set up and blocking him, he isn't as good at disengaging as you'd like. Makes more sense

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
mac #1236816 02/27/17 01:56 PM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Just to back up what I've been saying here is the draft profile on NFL.com:

For Garett:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/myles-garrett?id=2557965

For Barnett:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/derek-barnett?id=2557984

For Allen:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jonathan-allen?id=2557844

Not trying to convince anyone who's the best just providing info, you make your own judgement.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Quote:
NFL Network's Mike Mayock reiterates #Browns must consider not only Texas A&M DE Myles Garrett at No. 1, but also Alabama DL Jonathan Allen

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/836280293661212674

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
but IMO he relies on it too much.

??? there is no such thing as relying on it too much??? Its an asset in each and every play.

Don't confuse first step quickness with an outside edge rush.
that quick first step sets up everything.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
What did I post that was false there Vers?

--Robinson stoned him

--Robinson blocked him one-on-one w/out help all game

--The only time that Garrett made plays was when a guard blocked him [this after you saying that Robinson blocked him by himself all game]

--You have said that he takes plays off, but never mention anyone else doing the same thing

--You acted like Alabama didn't game plan against him.

Quote:
Why don't you just stop telling people on here how wrong we are and actually talk some football, for once. Or don't, I really don't care.

I talk football all the time. I just don't make crap up like you do. And when I defend Garrett.......I am talking football. And I really don't care if you get all butt-hurt because I defend a player when misinformation is used against him.

mac #1236856 02/27/17 02:39 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Mayock: Myles Garrett makes a ton of sense at No. 1. Jonathan Allen also has to be considered. Garrett - higher upside. Allen - safer pick.

https://twitter.com/NFL_CFB/status/836285481285398528

Tackles are tackles.
mac #1236888 02/27/17 03:04 PM
Legend
Legend
I've said this before, DO NOT TAKE ME AS GOSPEL. As a matter of fact, you're better off ignoring what I'm about to say because it will upset some of you. However, during the time of my ban I went to dinner with a Browns SEC Scout and another important person who works for the Browns (wasn't expecting this person at all).

Myles Garrett is a absolute lock at #1 unless he ends up killing somebody. This has already been decided.

Also, keep an eye out for a guy named Alvin Kamara in round 2.

mac #1236904 02/27/17 03:18 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
already had my eye on Kamara but I don't see much use fro him beyond our #3 HB. I like our current ones just fine. I would rather invest that into o-line

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
already had my eye on Kamara but I don't see much use fro him beyond our #3 HB. I like our current ones just fine. I would rather invest that into o-line

You're gonna be very disappointed if the Browns have their way then.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: candyman92
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns

You're gonna be very disappointed if the Browns have their way then.

Whats new ...

If we take a rb in the 1st two rounds .... it will go along way in putting the nail in the coffin for this regime ...

We have WAY BIGGER NEEDS than RB .. and if they can't figure that out ... may god help us ... although I'm gonna be shocked if these bozo's don't screw this up ... and this ones hard to screw up ..

mac #1236926 02/27/17 04:01 PM
Legend
Legend
I'm gonna be disappointed then.

Maybe its me liking big backs who can beat up a defense, but I see nothing special in Kamara.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/27/nfl-draft-mike-mayock-combine-top-prospects-peter-king
Quote:

• ​Mayock thinks the edge guys could set a record this year. It’s not surprising to say seven or eight defensive linemen could go in the first round. But seven or eight pass-rushers in the first round? That’s a great class Mayock said he would be surprised if the Browns do not stick at number one and take Texas A&M’s Myles Garrett, who at 252 pounds is six pounds heavier than Von Miller was at the combine six years ago, and was just as impactful around the corner as Miller was in college. The first pick, Mayock thinks, will be one of two players: Garrett or Alabama defensive tackle Jonathan Allen.

---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...est-pass-rusher

Quote:
It's well-established that Texas A&M's Myles Garrett is viewed as the top pass rusher in the draft, but Tennessee's Derek Barnett definitely deserves consideration for the honor after terrorizing the SEC as a destructive force off the edge for three seasons. In fact, you could make the argument that Barnett should own the No. 1 spot at the position after wreaking havoc on SEC foes as the Vols' designated pass rusher.

Now, I know that statement will take a few observers by surprise after hearing about Garrett's talents for most of the year. The Texas A&M standout has been anointed by most observers as the best player in the draft and few analysts have cited any other prospects as legitimate contenders to his throne. Yet, scouts paying close attention to SEC football and Barnett's spectacular production should give the Tennessee star a serious look at the top of the draft. The 6-foot-3, 265-pound defensive end broke Reggie White's sack record and finished with the second-most tackles for loss (52; one behind Leonard Little's mark) in Vols history. In addition, Barnett is the only player in SEC history to finish with at least 10 sacks in three straight seasons.

Let that marinate for a minute.

In a league that is viewed as the hotbed of NFL talent, Barnett shattered the school marks of a couple of All-Pro players and established a new standard for dominance as a pass rusher. While I'm not one to make evaluations strictly off numbers, I'm a firm believer that sack production translates to NFL performance, and Barnett should be a great pro based on his impressive resume at Tennessee.

When I study the tape, I see a relentless pass rusher with an outstanding combination of skill and technique. Barnett is one of the best hand-to-hand combat fighters that I've watched in years, and his ability to win with a variety of slick maneuvers makes him nearly impossible to slow down off the edge. In addition to his superior hand skills, Barnett has the rare ability to win with finesse or power off the edge.

He displays enough quickness, balance and body control to blow past blockers with dip-and-rip maneuvers or he can use a variety of power moves, including the butt-and-jerk or bull rush to get home off the edge. With Barnett also displaying a non-stop motor to complement his technically sound game, he's like an old-school construction worker with a hard hat, lunch pail and a shiny toolbox. He has all of the rugged traits that you covet in a player while also displaying the skills to dominate at the next level.

"He's not going to run a fast 40, but if you like tough, violent, high-motor players with production, you'll love him," said an AFC executive. "He kind of reminds me of a young Terrell Suggs coming out of Arizona State."

The praise didn't end there when I spoke to evaluators about Barnett.

"I love the kid," said an AFC college scouting director. " ... He is a great football player with a nasty temperament. I don't understand why some scouts aren't high on him, but he can play for me any day."

Considering how many coaches and scouts say they value hard-nosed football players with sustained production, I'm a little surprised that Barnett hasn't been touted much heading into the NFL Scouting Combine (March 3-6 on NFL Network). He is the kind of player who dominates in the NFL regardless of circumstances, and teams would be wise to pay attention to his skills.

Remember, Joey Bosa displayed similar traits and we questioned whether he could sustain his play as a pro. Yet, he claimed the Defensive Rookie of the Year award with a blue-collar game built on grit, hustle, and technique. With Barnett showing nearly identical skills, I believe the football world should pay closer attention to the best football player that no one is talking about.
-- Bucky Brooks
---------------------------------------------------------
I've been saying for awhile that the imo Allen and Garret are both worthy of the #1 pick, I've also maintained that I thought the gap between Barnett and Garrett wasn't as large as between Allen and the next 3-tech. And that this was a historically deep draft at Edge rusher.

Anyhow just thought I'd post these tidbits as food for thought.

Cheers!

Last edited by edromeo; 02/27/17 04:21 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Also, keep an eye out for a guy named Alvin Kamara in round 2.

Never heard of him, went and looked him up. Watch a video (yes it was highlights)

Pros
Really good hands (Holy crap Tenns QB is innacurate)
Good speed.
Runs very "tight", doesn't use his full stride, allows for good side to side movement.

Cons
Dabs way too much.

Last edited by ThatGuy; 02/27/17 04:34 PM.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Put the coaching staff on the opposite side of the improved line means improved QB play arguement. From what I understand Hue said the biggest problem with the offense last year was the consistent "voice" behind center. When your OL doesn't know who's starting from week to week it's ten times harder to prepare. From what I understand Hues ideal QB needs to be smart, accurate, and have great anticipation on breaks. Most importantly above all else he needs to command the huddle, the calls, and the adjustments. Some of his calls demand a certain tone that determines the length and the depth of route.

Hue apparently spent hours last year with the QBs just on communication and speaking in the huddle. If you can't control your voice and command Hues offense becomes complex and confusing. Hues said multiple times in QB meetings that the reason a play didn't work was because the play was delivered inaccurately to rest of the 10 guys. So when it came to blocking the OL tendency was to guess and unfortunately that fell on Erving " the weak link " their words exactly. If you took McCowns command and understand of the playbook and gave to Cody and gave Cody alittle better arm to jolt the ball to the outside we wouldn't be have this QB controversy again. Hues offense is designed much like Gregg Williams defense where it masks deficiencies or flaws of the QB and plays to their strengths. The only thing you have to be elite at is understand and command.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Mayock: Myles Garrett makes a ton of sense at No. 1. Jonathan Allen also has to be considered. Garrett - higher upside. Allen - safer pick.

https://twitter.com/NFL_CFB/status/836285481285398528

That's my opinion as well. There is no doubt that if both reach their potential that Garrett (an edge rusher) is more valuable than Allen (an inside rusher/dominant DT). I do agree with Mayock however that Allen is the safest pick.....this guy is a multiple Pro Bowl player. Garrett very well could be, but I don't see it as the same slame dunk that Allen is.

Either guy I am fine with..........as long as it is one of these two.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I think its sort of funny, posters painting themselves in the corner with stuff like if we do this or that its the end of the regime.

If they take studs I could care less if its over kill of a position or not. The kid turns out good we are better off. considering all the prospects we have taken in yesteyears that turned out busts.

Hey who thought Dallas made a mistake by going all out to #4 to get Zeke? Hey the kid is a stud that is all that matters.

Last years draft there were not many Studs...I think this years draft there are loads of them.

So I am not putting any "OR ELSE" on any picks I'm going to enjoy the new kids as long as they are football players this year there is more talent.

If its OJ great if its Barnett great if its Trubisky great. Whatever we do I know we will have a better team.

jmho and you are fine to do it your way...just saying I see some setting themselves up for misery...which again is okay but usually those guys want all to be miserable cause they are wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Gee ed, everything that guy said has to be true since you used such large font. rofl

Legend
Legend
I kinda feel like Large Font is like some form of passive aggressively yelling.

It's not All Caps.. but still..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
mac #1237113 02/27/17 08:37 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'm at a paradox. Barnett is a really good player, arguably he's a close rival to Myles Garrett. However I'm suppose to believe he will last till 12? If he's the second best edge rusher shouldn't he be gone by the 10th pick?

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I don't think it's smart to pass on a player in the draft because there are other good players at that position.

I think you rate your guys vertically on your big board and assess your team strengths/needs on your horizontal board and go from there.

Passing on your highest ranked player for a guy you "hope" will be available is not intelligent.

I also doubt that any team would do that, despite what some posters on this board are saying.

Legend
Legend
If I didn't like, completely agree with you, I'd make a joke about "vertical/horizontal boards" being the new "route tree"

tongue

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

Passing on your highest ranked player for a guy you "hope" will be available is not intelligent.

I also doubt that any team would do that, despite what some posters on this board are saying.

Completely agree.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
mac #1237169 02/27/17 09:51 PM
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
J/c
Yawn.

Dialogue is replaced with snark.
Different opinions are automatically stupid.
Information that doesn't match preconceived notions are bunk.

Last edited by edromeo; 02/27/17 09:52 PM.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah, sometimes an opinion is stupid.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Yup. And some posts are waaaay past stupid.

Last edited by edromeo; 02/27/17 10:05 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, they are.

Just like some posters ignore every article that says Garrett is the best player in the draft and ONLY post the ones where it's questioned.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Yes, they are.

Just like some posters ignore every article that says Garrett is the best player in the draft and ONLY post the ones where it's questioned.

Well obviously if everyone knows it, that just makes it a "preconceived notion"

Or whatever.

mac #1237207 02/27/17 11:29 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
FWIW

February 26, 2017 - 11:56 am

Are Browns cooling on DE Garrett? … Not so long ago, one of the givens of the 2017 draft was that Cleveland was enamored with Texas A&M DE Myles Garrett, who most analysts had rated as the clear, consensus top prospect for the upcoming draft.

However, there is a bit of a buzz these days that the Browns may have cooled somewhat on Garrett. No question that Garrett is an explosive edge-rusher with a big upside, but there are soem issues with his consistency and his motor. It also didn’t help that Garrett, a Dallas native, made a public plea, albeit jokingly, to Jerry Jones and the Cowboys to make a trade to move him up and select him.

At the same time, it appears that New England back-up Jimmy Garoppolo remains the Browns’ top target to address their issues at QB. And with a number of other teams with top picks also reportedly interested in Garoppolo themselves, it may be donning on the Browns that if they really want Garopollo they may have to use the #1 pick to get him. Stay tuned!

http://gbnreport.com

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
V
Legend
Legend
V
May I ask what is the gbnreport? And what sources did they cite to back-up their claim that "there is a bit of a buzz these days that the Browns may have cooled somewhat on Garrett?"

What did they do...........read posts from mac, you, and dean to gain their information? brownie

Legend
Legend
They're Canadian.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
They're Canadian.

... thumbsup

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Jester
FWIW

Are Browns cooling on DE Garrett? … Not so long ago, one of the givens of the 2017 draft was that Cleveland was enamored with Texas A&M DE Myles Garrett, who most analysts had rated as the clear, consensus top prospect for the upcoming draft.

However, there is a bit of a buzz these days that the Browns may have cooled somewhat on Garrett. No question that Garrett is an explosive edge-rusher with a big upside, but there are soem issues with his consistency and his motor. It also didn’t help that Garrett, a Dallas native, made a public plea, albeit jokingly, to Jerry Jones and the Cowboys to make a trade to move him up and select him.

At the same time, it appears that New England back-up Jimmy Garoppolo remains the Browns’ top target to address their issues at QB. And with a number of other teams with top picks also reportedly interested in Garoppolo themselves, it may be donning on the Browns that if they really want Garopollo they may have to use the #1 pick to get him. Stay tuned!

Whether the Browns are focusing on Garrett or not...the front office needs to sell the idea that Garrett is their target, unless someone makes them an offer they cannot refuse.

The Browns would be sticking it to themselves if they give the impression that they plan on drafting someone other than Garrett with the #1 pick.

The Browns should cultivate a possible trade deal by remaining focused on Garrett as their choice at #1. If the front office tips their hand, letting it be known that the Browns are considering someone other than Garrett, potential trading partners will simply wait for Garrett to drop to #2 and make a deal with the 49ers.

The idea of using the #1 pick on Garappolo is just plain NUTS!. I sure hope there is no truth in the idea that the front office would be willing to trade the top pick in the draft, for the Patriots backup QB.

The Browns front office needs to be smart about what they say while at the combine and leading up to the draft...don't do anything that might jeopardize the Browns chances for making a deal for the #1 pick...IF that is what they decide to do.

...got to keep everyone thinking MG is the pick.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Jester
FWIW

complete garbage of an article...really Cooling on a player before the combine..yeah that makes alot of sense..the lengths people go to pound their square agenda into a round hole

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Wow how you do spin it to show what you want. I mean really did you even read what I wrote.

Robinson did stone him, had zero pressures and zero tackles for loss against him.

NEVER,NEVER said the whole game, said most of the game.

Watch the tape, the only time he made plays was against the guard/RB/TE. Which is a match up he should win.

Link to NFL.com where they say this in the weaknesses: "Scouts are convinced he took plays off to protect his health this season."
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/myles-garrett?id=2557965
Again with having to justify MY opinion, why?

Actually I know you haven't read what I've been writing, now cause I've been arguing that they did game plan for him. Just that the game plan didn't show him as much respect as it did against Barnett.

Haven't made anything up, not one thing. And I still don't understand how MY TAKE on a guy is misinformation.

And really, what are you defending? Evert hing I've wrote on here about Garrett has been reported someone in an article about him. Show me one time where I said the guy wasn't the top prospect. Just cause I prefer another player doesn't mean I don't recognize what he is.

Telling people their analysis on a guy is wrong, isn't really talking football. I'm not, what did you say, Butt-hurt, don't know what that means, it actually sounds like you are cause my analysis doesn't match up with yours. What are you like six? It's a free country I can analyze a guy how ever I want. Why don't you actually try giving some actual analysis on the guy that would alleviate some of the concerns I have instead of the argument you keep using that he's the top ranked guy by every expert out there, cause that's all I've heard you say, that or that everything I'm seeing about the guy is misinformation.

mac #1237276 02/28/17 09:30 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac

The idea of using the #1 pick on Garappolo is just plain NUTS!

With the quality at the top of the draft...yes, true.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Myles Garrett....

Link Copied to Clipboard