Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Report: Jets expected to try to trade Sheldon Richardson

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 27, 2017, 12:15 PM EST

The Jets have spent plenty of draft and actual currency on defensive linemen lately, and they may be ready to divest.

According to Rich Cimini of ESPN.com, the Jets may be looking to trade Sheldon Richardson to clear up some of the financial and positional logjam.

With Muhammad Wilkerson early in his big deal, and Richardson working the fifth-year option of his rookie deal, and 2015 first-rounder Leonard Williams still cost-effective, the Jets have nearly 20 percent of their salary cap tied up in three linemen in a 3-4 front.

Richardson has also created some off-field distractions during his time with the Jets, which might make it easier for them to make a move.

So clearing out Richardson’s 8.1 million might be the solution, since it’s unlikely they’d commit to him long-term after this season, and would risk losing him for just a 2019 compensatory pick. While they’d certainly like a first-rounder (and some ice cream, I guess), they might take less before his salary is guaranteed on March 9.

He gets it too, admitting during last season he’s the “odd man out,” as it pertains to the future.

With Wilkerson and Williams and a cast of serviceable guys in the middle, it might make the most sense to move him now.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Suspended for substance abuse.

Resisting arrest. Driving 140+ or whatever with a 12 year old inside. Gun inside, pot inside...

No thanks... thumbsdown

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Suspended for substance abuse.

Resisting arrest. Driving 140+ or whatever with a 12 year old inside. Gun inside, pot inside...

No thanks...

Agreed. The guy shouldn't be allowed to play football. He's a jerk. Never liked him. Big locker room cancer for the Jets, who had major locker room issues last year

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
C
Legend
Legend
C
What do they want?

I'd trade for him in a second if it didn't cost much.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I want nothing to do with scum like this.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
Given his legal issues, I would probably not want him anywhere near a young team like ours. Now if we got him as a UFA, and he signed for close to the minimum, then maybe ..... but, honestly, I could see him going to the Pats if he is released, or maybe in exchange for a low draft pick. The Pats have proved to be very effective at integrating troubles players into their systems, and keeping them out of trouble while they are there.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I know he has the baggage but football wise he's a beast. I don't think I would do the trade and take over his contract...well new contract as a condition of the trade maybe.

Last year he was on my FA radar to soon be on our team. But yeah I understand the baggage stuff...we would have to be seriously convinced he learned his lesson.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
What do they want?

If the Jets would take a 5th just to get rid of him, why not? Low risk.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
What do they want?

If the Jets would take a 5th just to get rid of him, why not? Low risk.

Haha, now if a 5th would be all it took, I'd say... yeah, bring him here. Even with his off-field issues.

Last I heard when these rumors started is they want a first, but likely to get a second rounder. I wouldn't part anything but low-round scrub picks to trade for him though, which probably isn't anything that would come close to reality.

Legend
Legend
What do they want?

I told you this was a possibility.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: eotab
I know he has the baggage but football wise he's a beast. I don't think I would do the trade and take over his contract...well new contract as a condition of the trade maybe.

Last year he was on my FA radar to soon be on our team. But yeah I understand the baggage stuff...we would have to be seriously convinced he learned his lesson.

jmho

He would be a poison pill to our locker room and he will most likely end up getting suspended out of the league. It's not worth trading for a guy like him.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Getting Sheldon Richardson on the cheap would really solidify Garrett at No. 1, no?

Ogbah - Richardson - Shelton - Garrett

I doubt it happens but that's a nice DL.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
i'd trade a mid rounder for him

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Yeah, who wants to add super talented players, right?

I miss Mangini's Choir Boy All Star Team.

At least our Special Teams was good then..

Because 3/4 of our roster was Special Teams level players.

But at least they were nice guys!

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Getting Sheldon Richardson on the cheap would really solidify Garrett at No. 1, no?

Ogbah - Richardson - Shelton - Garrett

I doubt it happens but that's a nice DL.

That's pretty awesome.

Legend
Legend
"Danny, Sheldon"

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Jets are so stupid.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BpG
The Jets are so stupid.

How so?

The guy's a very good player, but I don't think for us. The news out of NY that I heard was that the guy was toxic in the locker room. Just a real problem, bad attitude that brought everyone down.

This past season the Jets really took a step back. The players weren't much different though. Revis' play declined significantly, but supposedly the worst was just team attitude. And supposedly Richardson was one of the ring leaders of this bad attitude.

I don't want him anywhere near this team. Not our young players. I don't have a problem signing guys with a checkered past. This guy is one I don't want

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
no then sign Donta hightower

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Sorry would sign Donta hightower

P
Legend
Legend
P
Hightower would be a good signing ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: jacksondawg

And move Kirksey to the bench?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

That's what's going through my head. Hightower is a great player. But where does he fit in? Do we want all that wrapped up in LBs? We have one more season of Kirksey on his rookie contract I think. We need to worry about re-signing him

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not advocating that we sign Richardson. But I will say this.... You are always looking to improve your football team at every position. That's how you build a winner.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I'm not advocating that we sign Richardson. But I will say this.... You are always looking to improve your football team at every position. That's how you build a winner.

I will advocate that we sign him...as long as he is not destined for the Cookoos Nest.

wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
J/c. I think we would be dumb not to inquire and investigate a possible trade scenario. We have piles of money, if we can add a proven good player for a reasonable pick then go for it. We aren't running a church picnic, maybe we need a little nasty. I highly doubt we would get a player of his caliber in the draft this year for what we would probably give up

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I think Kirksey is destined to move to OLB in the 4-3 anyway. Kirksey and Collins on the outside and Hightower in the middle would be a nice linebacking core.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

I think Kirksey is destined to move to OLB in the 4-3 anyway. Kirksey and Collins on the outside and Hightower in the middle would be a nice linebacking core.

For 20% of the plays.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

For 20% of the plays.

This is what I was getting at.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Except that is an Exaggeration - Steelers were the most Nickel team and they were at 70% - not 80. So lets stop with the 20% thing.

Lets get away from STATS and talk FOOTBALL.
On the field to STOP THE RUN. It all depends how successful that is.

TFL...1, 2 yard gain. That puts the opponent in a passing down where we should bring nickle. He if its just 20% that would me we are stuffing the run successfully and forcing teams to pass. Just fine.

This "Its a passing league now so don't get kick ass against the run" thought process is nice for stats. But not Football!

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Let's just run a 4-6-1 then.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Except that is an Exaggeration - Steelers were the most Nickel team and they were at 70% - not 80. So lets stop with the 20% thing.

Where did you see this?

Last year Gregg Williams had three linebackers on the field 20% of the time. One of those linebackers was Mark Barron.

E
Legend
Legend
E

Yep that's what I was saying...smh crazy

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

I mean we could go with a 4-7, or a 5-6 if you want..

Hell let's go all out and run a 11-0-0.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

For 20% of the plays.

If we stop the run and he only has to be on the field for 20% of plays then money well spent.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
E
Legend
Legend
E

??? You're being silly

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
The Jets aren't done cutting players, per sources. Marcus Gilchrist, Calvin Pryor, Eric Decker, Buster Skrine and Sheldon Richardson are in danger of losing their roster spots. They could try to trade Pryor and Richardson, both former first-round picks. David Harris appears safe for now, but that could change if they sign a free agent at inside linebacker.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0629387188722734363-4

It seems like the Jets would be a great chance to buy low on some guys before they are cut. I'd send a late round pick their way for both Pryor and Richardson.

Legend
Legend
They're cutting everyone, and apparently might trade all their picks..

Sounds like a sound strategy.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You want to hire Ryan back as DC?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
The Jets aren't done cutting players, per sources. Marcus Gilchrist, Calvin Pryor, Eric Decker, Buster Skrine and Sheldon Richardson are in danger of losing their roster spots. They could try to trade Pryor and Richardson, both former first-round picks. David Harris appears safe for now, but that could change if they sign a free agent at inside linebacker.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0629387188722734363-4

It seems like the Jets would be a great chance to buy low on some guys before they are cut. I'd send a late round pick their way for both Pryor and Richardson.

I would trade for his contract, but I wouldn't mind getting Skrine back as a Nickel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Report: Jets expected to try to trade Sheldon Richardson

Link Copied to Clipboard