Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1236693 02/27/17 09:50 AM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
I just read a good article by Tony Grossi on espn cleveland. I would be interested to know all of your thoughts on it. There are some other stuff on there that some of you might be interested in checking out.

Lets quit screwing around. Garrett and Jimmy G in the 1st.

E
Legend
Legend
E
How bout sharing the article or at least a link wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1236701 02/27/17 10:01 AM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Sorry, I have no idea how to do that. Just punch up espn cleveland and read Grossi's blog.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I don't know if this is it, but it's the most recent one:

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/post/...-the-most-cards

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
yes thats it . Thanks for posting it. What do you think about trading down?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
No problem. Maybe It will help my bad rep.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I think we've done enough trading down in the 1st round. It's time for us to select some impact players. I really think there is some paranoia surrounding this team by the FO and the fans simply because of the poor drafting over the years. While I can understand it, it has to be set aside and we can't be afraid to pull the trigger on some of these top prospects. For the FO, coaches and scouting department do your homework. observe, discuss and make good picks. The time to start turning this around is now.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
If we were somehow able to trade-down and stay in the top FIVE, I would only have a minor stroke.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Of course, it would depend on what we got outta it and etc, but the thought of trading down and stock piling of more picks doesn't seem very appealing.

We just need to get lucky and actually use our top picks on people worth a damn.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Only reason I trade down is to get a 2018 1st rd pick. JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
I just read a good article by Tony Grossi on espn cleveland. I would be interested to know all of your thoughts on it. There are some other stuff on there that some of you might be interested in checking out.

I almost stopped reading after you said good article by Tony Grossi tongue

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
L
Legend
Legend
L

If anything I'd say that is a cautionary tale of trying to be too smart and cute. Browns FO always seem to think they know something other teams don't, but they really have no ideas..The time to stop trading down starts now...especially with rookie wage scale, theres no reason to even trade down unless its for a Ricky Williams type haul

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think that Garrett is a bonafide star and it would be wise to stay at number one and draft an impact player at an impact position.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, honestly, if we stopped being cute and just drafted the "consensus" guy for the draft slot we were at, we would have a lot better team right now.

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Yeah, honestly, if we stopped being cute and just drafted the "consensus" guy for the draft slot we were at, we would have a lot better team right now.

Yes, we have had double digit picks the last 3 years. What has that gotten us? Its not all trading down that has got this team to where its at but it is a contributing factor.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Trading down is usually the best option. We have done a great job at trading down and getting great value. We have done a horrible job at drafting (and developing) players.

P
Legend
Legend
P

I would be ok with Garrett, but I am not one that is in favor of trading high picks for Garoppolo ... tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

I would be ok with Garrett, but I am not one that is in favor of trading high picks for Garoppolo ... tsktsk

Disagree Pastor. Jimmy is just what this team needs. What is it you don't like about him? Seems like he has everything you need in a QB. Arm , release, accuracy,smarts.
If the Oline doesn't get him killed and we improve the D so we get him the ball more often we can win some games next year.

cfrs15 #1236908 02/27/17 03:23 PM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Trading down is usually the best option. We have done a great job at trading down and getting great value. We have done a horrible job at drafting (and developing) players.

I will try to remember this is your pov. Most people can't grasp this.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Pastor has been consistent in his message about Jimmy G. Pretty much from the start of the Jimmy talks. His reasons include lack of experience and (I think) he is on the Patriots.

He is, however, in favor of using a high first round pick on Trubisky.

The Jimmy/Not Jimmy talks have picked things up, now that the election is over.

Disagree Pastor. Jimmy is just what this team needs. What is it you don't like about him? Seems like he has everything you need in a QB. Arm , release, accuracy,smarts.
If the Oline doesn't get him killed and we improve the D so we get him the ball more often we can win some games next year.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1236915 02/27/17 03:35 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D

Very well said.

+1

cfrs15 #1236918 02/27/17 03:42 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L

Drafting yes, developing players...meh...can't polish a turd, serious if we would have just taking who Mel Kiper picked we'd probably have been in the playoffs 6 times by now atleast..lol

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

Drafting yes, developing players...meh...can't polish a turd, serious if we would have just taking who Mel Kiper picked we'd probably have been in the playoffs 6 times by now atleast..lol

Changing coaches every two years (or less) is not good for the development of players.

cfrs15 #1236920 02/27/17 03:45 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

Changing coaches every two years (or less) is not good for the development of players.

while true, very few have gone elsewhere and done anything to live up to their draft status

P
Legend
Legend
P

Just tired of trading or picking up other teams rejects why not (If we were trading #12 for Garoppolo) just use it on the QB we have rated best in this draft ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Just tired of trading or picking up other teams rejects why not (If we were trading #12 for Garoppolo) just use it on the QB we have rated best in this draft ...
With respect Pastor, why do you assume Garoppolo is a reject. Isn't it possible they view him as a valuable commodity with which they can get a higher draft pick than their annual top 5 finish allows.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

lol, cause maybe there isn't a College QB worth anywhere near the 12 pick........

Trubisky played 13 games. Watson is a spread QB who isn't particularly good in the pocket, and Kaizer, who has talent, needs to mature/become consistent. Maybe none of those guys are worth the 12 pick.........

You don't just pick a QB just to pick a QB. That's how you end up with Geno Smith or EJ Manuel. And believe it, this board had a couple Geno/EJ pimps (although only a couple thank goodness).

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
P
Legend
Legend
P
How many games did Carson Wentz Play at NDST 23? Not too mention division 2, and I remember a whole lot of posters on his bandwagon .. superconfused

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think that Garrett is a bonafide star and it would be wise to stay at number one and draft an impact player at an impact position.

I agree...and that worries me.

In a "it seems almost too good to be true. How are they going to screw it up?" sort of way

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I agree...and that worries me.

In a "it seems almost too good to be true. How are they going to screw it up?" sort of way

Like I've said many times I'm all for garrett and there's very few people who would be upset if we stayed and took him at 1. Maybe all of 1 or 2 people. But for a lot of us discussing trade downs and things of that nature it's more about covering all the bases and considering all the options than it is trying to say you guys are wrong.

Personally I've made it known my board has Barnett at 2. Vers I know you are very well versed in how pro vertical and horizontal boards work. As a pro if you had that board it would be obvious to consider a trade down. Fwiw PFF also has Barnett at 2 last I checked. We all know how our draft last year checked out against pff rankings.

While I will cheer my arsenal off if we got myles I will possibly lose my mind If we landed a huge trade and still winded up with Barnett. Any other edge? No. Purely because I have him at 2. I don't agree with those saying we could pass on myles because edge is strong. So I guess in that regard I agree with you guys camp.

Personally I just have this feeling the Jets will splash this year. Their FO is on its last leg. They likely don't value future picks (we value them higher than any FO I'd wager) as they may not have a job soon and I think we could fleece them, still get a great player at 6. Possibly use 12 for jimmy(hypothetical) but recoup all that draft value and some from giving up myles in favor of Barnett. To me that is better than just myles.

Last edited by predator16; 02/28/17 12:30 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
We disagree a bit, but I like how you argue w/logic rather than just making things up.

I
Rookie
Rookie
I
Garrett hands down has to be taken by Cleveland 1st overall, but I am not sold on Jimmy G. There is a reason that players look good on certain teams that is the team around them. Cleveland QB's and RB's need a line in front of them. Giving up a pick that can be used to bolster our defense on a QB that will be running for his life and needs to be signed long term is a bad investment. I don't see Jimmy G. as a 1st round value. Plenty of O-line men we can get via free agency and the draft. Our Defense needs to get pressure on the others teams QB add Garrett, Obgah looked good and Nassib under Greg Williams could be fun to watch. Add a CB and/or Saftey via a deep defensive draft and one side of the ball could be legit. I am ok with Cody K. for another year kid got thrown to the wolves and completed 65.6% of his passes 6 TD's 2 picks not bad for a rookie with no line, playing from behind and learning on the fly. improve the O-line and Crowell and whatever QB we have will improve.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
If we had a competent staff it could work. We dont have one so we should just take `no brainers`.

No reason to watch great players drafted before us going to playoffs

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How many games did Carson Wentz Play at NDST 23? Not too mention division 2, and I remember a whole lot of posters on his bandwagon .. superconfused

I'm counting 23 games. 23 starts.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Garrett, Adams / Hooker and Mahomes later makes the draft.

Snag a Sidney Jones, Caleb Brantley, Dan Feeney or Haasan Reddick too and I'm smiling all day long. If I could be greedy would also like Cooper Kupp and Bucky Hodges laugh

drobs #1237605 02/28/17 05:23 PM
Legend
Legend
I don't get all this Mahomes hype.

I hear about a College QB who played in the Big 12 after playing baseball and I start to have flashbacks..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

I hear about a College QB who played in the Big 12 after playing baseball and I start to have flashbacks..

He needs work for sure but the guy has talent. I think it's more of an indictment of the QB class to be honest. Plus the fact I'd rather draft sure(er)things with the earlier picks in a deep defensive class. This class could set up the defense for the foreseeable.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P

Have you watched his tape? How can you understand any hype for any player without?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Me neither. I wasn't all that impressed with him in the game I watched him play this year.

Plus the Texas Tech thing. Those QBs haven't translated well, although he's certainly got the strongest arm of the bunch.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I hate QB's from spread offenses in college. Makes it too hard to predict how their talent will translate to the NFL.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Trade down guys

Link Copied to Clipboard