D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
I just couldn't get into Doom. Wasn't my thing I guess. The colors and textures made it hard for me. I turned up the brightness and it got better, but it just seemed like i was always looking for keys and crap like that.

Each FPS is different and it depends on the person. I rent a lot of them and I find myself turning some off after 30 minutes because of the darkness, textures, maps, puzzles, guns, flow or hit-detection. Doom fits my brain I guess. Plus, for $20, I can't complain.

I was thinking about getting Batman: Arkham Knight for $15. Anybody play it? I heard the batmobile is annoying and takes up too much of the game. Again, $15...I should just shut up and give it a try.

That Batman imo was the best outta all the Arkham series. The Batmobile was far from "annoying" and actually really, really fun to play. Highly recommend that game, it's the last Batman game that the developing group is making.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Loaded up The Phantom Pain last night. Hoping for a little time this week

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Bought and downloaded Ark Survival for Xbox 1, kinda of cool game. Start on a beach stranded and go from there. Daughter really likes it, can't wait til this weekend to really get into it.

Legend
Legend
Just got Star Wars Battlefront.

Played some missions.

Got to be Boba Fett.

Glad I waited and only spent 15$ on it.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

Played some missions.

Got to be Boba Fett.

My buddy went on vacation for two weeks right after it came out (and he bought it).

Got a two week subscription to PS+ and played that thing for two weeks. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't worth the original price tag. Got my fill in about two weeks, I was good to go

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
I just need more non sports games when I don't wanna play Madden. Which is all I ever play.

Might get Arkham Knight or whatever so I can play 3 levels and then never touch it again.

Did I mention I miss NCAA?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D

Played some missions.

Got to be Boba Fett.

Not to make myself sound psychotic lol, but nothing pleases me more than playing as Boba Fett and jet packing down on someone, hitting em' with the flamethrower, then jet packing outta dodge!

Plus his wrist rocket is lethal now too.

Legend
Legend
So my Brother and I started a new franchise on Madden, because he got fired as the owner of Green Bay for being in the negative two years in a row. (I was +300mil, just saying)

He picked the Lions, and I decided to use the Steelers, because I never do.

First season I won the SB.

Then Ben retired.

2nd season I started a 69 overall Johnny Manziel, he went 3-0 and got hurt for 7 weeks.

Traded for Glennon and was a solid 9-4 when Manziel came back for Pitt vs Det.

Then he got hurt again during that game. And I'm kinda done with him.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Horizon: Zero Dawn looks cool, but I hate exclusives.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Squires

Sure does look cool. Lots of games coming out soon though. So I'm holding off till i see reviews.

Zelda, Mass Effect: Andromeda. Gotta play Tomb Raider and Dishonored 2 and Nioh as well. Bethesda is coming out with that game Prey as well. Got quite the backlog.

Horizon was made by the same people who made Killzone. Killzone is okay, but not amazing or anything.

Why do you hate exclusives?

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 02/16/17 08:19 AM.

D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
The only reason to hate exclusives is if it comes out on a platform that you don't own lol...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
The only reason to hate exclusives is if it comes out on a platform that you don't own lol...

Oh, gotcha. I own the WiiU, XboxOne, and PS4: so no big deal for me i guess.

I've got the Nitendo Switch Pre-Ordered, but I think i'm gonna cancel it. Wait for more games to come out.

I can get Zelda for WiiU, which it was originally developed for (and the main reason i got the WiiU so it's sorta a principle thing), and I own Mario Kart 8. Didn't like Splatoon that much. That leaves Mario in December, which looks sweet. But I bet there'll be a Mario Bundle. That's what I'll want

D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Haha, if you own all of the platforms, then what's an exclusive? Lol. I myself have always just stuck with the Playstation. Never in my life owned a Xbox.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Haha, if you own all of the platforms, then what's an exclusive? Lol. I myself have always just stuck with the Playstation. Never in my life owned a Xbox.

I switched heavily to Playstation when the DualShock4 controller came out. The Playstation Analog Sticks before then always felt awful. And I hated the wait times on PS1. Honestly PS1 is really the only Playstation I never owned, but when I owned PS3 and PS2 I always played Xbox much more.

PS4 and XboxOne came out and PS4 was a much smaller system. And the controller was much improved. I travel with my system, so the small system and no external powerbrick was huge.

Only reason I got an Xbox is my wife got me one for Christmas. But now i can play GearsOfWar4, Halo 5, Forza, and Sunset Overdrive (currently playing). And I'll tell ya, Sunset Overdrive is a lot of fun.

Legend
Legend
When I take my Xbox One to my brothers for the weekend I always wish I could just get a One S. No power block.

Plus the white console is super pretty.

S
Legend
Legend
S
So I built my own retro gaming system. Someone showed me a video where a guy created the system with an old NES cartridge.

It was actually pretty easy. Depending on what you have laying around already, it actually doesn't cost a ton...

https://youtu.be/ZjM-vaHJv_Y

This guy lays it out pretty easy. In the info area of the video on youtube, he has links to the items on Amazon...

I have almost 200 bucks in giftcards to Amazon from the holidays, and I live in a really close proximity of a Microcenter, so it was pretty cheap for me.

I bought a Hogan's Alley cart on ebay for seven bucks. That's probably a few bucks more than the cheapest ones you'll find. I always just thought that was a cool cover for a game... Even better, look for old carts that don't work, which you could probably get for next to nothing.

The Raspberry Pi Zero is the one item that makes the biggest difference in price. They are 15-25 on the internet, but Microcenter carries them for 5$. They tend to run out all the time, so keep an eye on their website.

I have a huge file of Roms. The hardest part of this whole thing was going through the NES file, because there were sometimes 2 or 3 for one game, and all of them didn't work. I spent an afternoon going through and testing them, and creating my own folder of clean roms. I have 765 NES games, I had no idea what I had in that folder, tons of unlicensed titles and other games I had never heard of.

You don't really need to use an NES cart either. You can pretty much use anything as a housing for the stuff. Some people are selling NES looking housings on the net for like 40 bucks, but you still have to buy all your components. The cartridge offers a cool look, and good ventilation. I bought a plastic sleeve for a few bucks on ebay as well.

Game pads can vary, but the iBuffalo pad which resembles the SNES (which can be used for NES, SNES, and Genesis) has great reviews and seems durable. The controller I'm using now and have been for years is pretty crappy. I may just cave in and get the iBuffalo.

This is a great travel item, and the games look awesome on my big tv. It's cool to take a trip down memory lane with some of these games. Was a cool little project.

Legend
Legend
That is wonderful.

I wonder what else I could use besides an NES cartridge.

Basically anything.

But I want something super cool.

Legend
Legend
Kinda disappointed that it won't run N64.

That's my go to.

S
Legend
Legend
S

That's my go to.

It does.

I'm not sure how good it is, or what kind of roms, but there is a folder in the partition for it.

Not to mention you would have to buy a separate USB n64 controller.

Legend
Legend
Weird. Everything I've read so far has been about how it plays everything except n64.

I actually own a USB n64 controller. Think it's at my dads.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Squires

Well it's coming out soon and IGN just put up their review. 9.3. I tend to trust most of what they have to say. So it looks like this is gonna be a purchase too.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn

That's my go to.

It does.

I'm not sure how good it is, or what kind of roms, but there is a folder in the partition for it.

I'm buying one this week and building it inside this.

Super excited. Especially cause I can put Kodi on it and run the HDMI through my Xbox One.

D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
thumbsup I like that. Be cool to see a picture when you get it all assembled.

S
Legend
Legend
S

That's my go to.

It does.

I'm buying one this week and building it inside this.

Super excited. Especially cause I can put Kodi on it and run the HDMI through my Xbox One.

That's awesome. My wife would love that, she's huge on Dr Who...

I'm loving the hell out of my system. For one, it's cool for someone like myself to be able to build something like that, and two, these games look AWESOME on my big tv. I've been reliving my childhood the last week, LOL.

There are so many great games on NES, SNES, and Sega.

If anyone wants to do this, I can help out with any assistance in putting it together, and I'd be happy to send over the ROMs if anyone needs them. I went through my NES file and cleaned it, so those are good to go. The SNES and Genesis ones not so much, but I haven't had any problems.

I picked up a massive folder of them a while back. Someone dumped off everything they could find into one torrent and put it out there for people.

So far so good.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'm waiting on getting my Switch this week. Hopefully Amazon doesn't take too long to ship it up to the middle of nowhere, Alaska.

I've been playing a considerable amount of PSVR games, too. Job Simulator exists as good timewasting fun, and Rez is a trippy experience in and of itself. The headset probably ranks up there as one of my favorite Christmas presents, ever.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
I'm waiting on getting my Switch this week. Hopefully Amazon doesn't take too long to ship it up to the middle of nowhere, Alaska.

I've been playing a considerable amount of PSVR games, too. Job Simulator exists as good timewasting fun, and Rez is a trippy experience in and of itself. The headset probably ranks up there as one of my favorite Christmas presents, ever.

Just cancelled my Switch. With my WiiU, I didn't see the point. I already own Mario Kart 8 and wasn't a big Splatoon fan. I'm gonna play Zelda on WiiU (which is what I bought the thing for, and has made me extremely bitter) and wait to see how the Switch does/hopefully grab some sort of Mario Odyssey Bundle come XMas time.

I just was so dissapointed with my WiiU. In terms of Mario and Zelda, there left so much to be desired. And never any Metroid game neither. Nintendo really really let me down. Wii had two new Zelda's (Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword) and so did Gamecube (Wind Waker and Twilight Princess). WiiU gets one, Nintendo's last game for the system. And the only 3D Mario game is Mario3D World which isn't what I was looking for. Super Mario U is okay, but it's a 2D Platformer. Not my thing at all.

Pikmin 3, meh. Donkey Kong, meh. Xenoblade Chronicles - Awful Story. Mario Kart 8 - Good.

Yeah, gonna wait on this Switch cause i'm still bitter. I'll probably end up with the thing though. Somehow I end up owning all the systems.

My buddy has the new RE on PSVR and he says the thing is crazy. He loves it but i guess it's pretty intense

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist

Nice, you going with Zelda at launch? Any other games? Im picking mine up at the midnight launch from Gamestop, launch days are fun.

Eat it Phil...
D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Soon as I'm off work, I'm going RIGHT to Walmart and picking up my game. Horizon Zero Dawn.

Any other PS4 people going to be rocking out that game tonight, as I will be doing?

S
Legend
Legend
S
Soon as I'm off work, I'm going RIGHT to Walmart and picking up my game. Horizon Zero Dawn.

Any other PS4 people going to be rocking out that game tonight, as I will be doing?

got way too many games backlogged, lol.

Will probably pick it up somewhere down the line. Maybe there will be a GOTY edition with some extras.

Would love to know your thoughts once you've jumped into it. Looks like an awesome game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

got way too many games backlogged, lol.

Will probably pick it up somewhere down the line. Maybe there will be a GOTY edition with some extras.

Would love to know your thoughts once you've jumped into it. Looks like an awesome game.

Agreed. I'm excited about the game, but there's too many games I still wanna play. I'm gonna hold off till i catch up and start getting better deals.

I have a ridiculous amount of games that i don't play anymore. Gotta figure out what to do with all those. I've though about EBay, but don't know if i wanna go through the time of selling htem individually though

D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Put in about two hours of solid gameplay, great introduction to the game and character formation. Feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Many side missions/quests it appears.

Graphics, outstanding.

Gameplay (so far), outstanding.

Appears lots of weapons and mods. Crafting, stealth and strategic planning with bombs and traps looks to be a big part of the game.

All and all, I'm digging it. Could've played for a lot longer.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Put in about two hours of solid gameplay, great introduction to the game and character formation. Feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Many side missions/quests it appears.

Graphics, outstanding.

Gameplay (so far), outstanding.

Appears lots of weapons and mods. Crafting, stealth and strategic planning with bombs and traps looks to be a big part of the game.

All and all, I'm digging it. Could've played for a lot longer.

Is there much of a story. That is always a big factor whether a game is great to me or not

D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I wish I could provide a more elaborate answer, but I don't want to give anything away/spoiler. So simply to answer your question, yes... the story build up has been great and there's an interesting aspect about how it's been introduced so far. It leaves you with wanting to know more. Again, this is based on 2, 2.5 hours of gameplay but we all know the beginning of the game is usually the most important.

But I feel you on that aspect about gaming and the story. I believe that's why The Last Of Us was rated so highly, because of the story and character formation.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
But I feel you on that aspect about gaming and the story. I believe that's why The Last Of Us was rated so highly, because of the story and character formation.

Oh absolutely, it's why Last Of Us was better than Uncharted, and it's why some people like Uncharted more than they like Tomb Raider.

I'm playing Tomb Raider now, and IMO handsdown, the gameplay and mechanics are better. But Naughty Dog can tell a helluva story, and it sounds stupid but that engagement can make a game that much better (and I'm not saying Tomb Raider's story is bad so far)

D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Like I said before, Tomb Raider is a great and fun game. However, it's just too short. I wish I had other games to play at that time, and didn't fork out the full retail price for it. Otherwise, I had a good time playing it.

Horizon, the game has got a lot going on. So far, I've encountered four or five different types of mechanical enemies and I'm guessing as the game progresses, more different ones will come. Each has their own weaknesses and etc. The climbing aspect isn't as good as per say, Tomb Raider or Assassin's Creed - but I have no complaints.

There's a lot of skills to unlock, side quests to unlock, "errands" to do and so forth that are not part of the main storyline. I left playing last night wondering "what do I want to do next" and I like that feeling when it comes to a game. Options and etc. There are mods to outfits, weapons and etc so it's customizable to one's gaming style and etc. Crafting of various special ammo, traps and potions. I mean, there's just a lot going on here, somewhat a bit overwhelming as I try to discover and determine how to do everything.

Definitely recommend this game. I can pretty much tell it's well worth the retail price. At this point, I'd been halfway or more through Tomb Raider.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Definitely recommend this game. I can pretty much tell it's well worth the retail price. At this point, I'd been halfway or more through Tomb Raider.

Great to know. I knew Tomb Raider would be short. I bought it on sale for 40$ and thought I'd have more of an opportunity to play it. Simply didn't.

You seem wrapped up in Horizon, which will be coming up on my list soon enough, but afterwards, you might wanna try Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (I think that's the newest one's name). Wonderful game. A bit longer than Tomb Raiders, but same quality. Eidos Montreal does a good job. I'm showing 20$ on Amazon. That's worth every penny. Wonderful game which didn't sell that well and didn't seem to get picked for awards or anything. Game was sick though

Oh, and it's a little more open world than Tomb Raider. It's a good one, promise

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 03/02/17 05:43 PM.

D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Isn't that a first person view though? I really only like to stick with and play third person (where you see the full character) view.

Unfortunately, I'm fearful that with VR and etc getting popular, third person games are going to be extinct.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Isn't that a first person view though? I really only like to stick with and play third person (where you see the full character) view.

Unfortunately, I'm fearful that with VR and etc getting popular, third person games are going to be extinct.

I hope not... I will probably end up playing older games, and sports games... I don't do a ton of online stuff, and the VR just doesn't really interest me. It's also not first time the video game industry has tried VR...

I just hope with the success of Horizon, and a year or two before that with The Witcher 3... and the obvious success of the GTA franchise, that they will still make titles. I get the worry though, because it's my favorite style of game.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I cancelled my Switch. Too little free time right now for video games, and lack of launch games (besides Zelda) makes me wait till summer.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You're right. I knew it was a pet peeve of yours, but I got it wrong. It is First Person (although doesn't feel like it in the same way a game like Doom does). And I don't think there's a 3rd person view neither (which i think fallout, skyrim, and mass effect have them)

I dunno if VR will ruin that genre though. I'm not sure how big VR will be. If it'll take over everything or just be an add-on. They've gotta deal with the motion sickness aspects and there's something about wanting to see the environment around you while playing games that people will still want sometimes.

Might cut into your market, but i think they'll still exist. You think about that Nioh game? I think it's made by the same guys who made Bloodborne. That's on my list. It's supposed to be pretty sweet too

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fantasy & Gaming The Gaming Thread, Part II

Link Copied to Clipboard