Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
If we cut him, we paid $17 mil for a 2nd round pick.
If we keep Brock and cut RG3 we paid $8.5 mil.

I don't think Osweiler ever sets foot in Berea, let alone plays for us.

Nor do I. I think that the pick is all they wanted.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L

Last edited by Lurker; 03/09/17 05:06 PM.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Holy crap. That is a brilliant move. We just bought a second round pick.

I love this front office.

Yup!
If the CAVS pulled this move, people would be lauding them for creating something out of nothing.

We spent money that would otherwise just be sitting there and got a 2nd rounder for next year and the Texans even threw in a backup QB.

The Browns might want to cut Osweiler before he breaks his leg...if you know what I mean..

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I don't know he has the size and arm talent to make Hue interested or at least curious to see if he can elevate his game I bet. I mean we have him on the books either way and he did play decent for the Broncos so it will be interesting.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: clwb419
Any chance that the Pats would take Osweiler plus the Tenn 2nd this year and the Texan's 2nd next year for Jimmy? He'd essentially be free for the Pats for 1 year since we'd have to eat his salary.

We could even try to restructure him, make a trade for Garoppolo, and let those 2 and Kesler battle it out. Say we get Brock's deal down to a $9 million hit this year, and cut RG3. That would make it almost a wash. Or we could keep all 5 QBs we currently have under contact, and see if someone winds up needing a QB doe to injury. We have a lot of options here.

I am thinking that we could send the Pats a 2018 2nd, a 2019 2nd, and a 2019 3rd for Garoppolo. Hmm .... that could be an interesting deal. Man, we have a ton of options for trades ..... lots of valuable pieces.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
If you think narrowly only in terms of salary, perhaps you're right..... but, if that 2nd round pick was a good player for another team, would you pay $16 million to acquire that player?

Teams would pay way more than $16 million for a good player.

By the way, Bill Barnwell wrote about this exact scenario months ago.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18327...ere-hope-future

Quote:
There's also the possibility of using some of that cap space to essentially buy draft picks. I floated this as a feasible option earlier this week, but I'll spell it out a little clearer. Let's again use Brock Osweiler as an example. The Texans clearly regret signing Osweiler, who was benched this week for Tom Savage. It's possible Osweiler could improve, but the Texans would go back and erase his signing from the record if they could. Houston would surely love to dump Osweiler and use the money it would save to go after a superior quarterback such as Tony Romo or Jay Cutler this offseason, but the Texans are locked in: Osweiler is owed a $16 million guaranteed base salary in 2017, and if the Texans cut him, they would have a painful $25 million in dead money hit their cap next season. It would be a non-starter.

What the Texans could do, though, is trade Osweiler to a team who would be willing to pay his $16 million base salary. Houston would be left with a far more palatable $9 million in dead money on its 2017 cap. The problem, of course, is that nobody would want to pay Osweiler $16 million for the 2017 season unless there were dramatic incentives and no better options around. The Browns could fit both of those shoes. They've repeatedly shown how significantly they value draft picks, are willing to be patient to receive those picks and have no clear path to a starting quarterback. Osweiler has been a mess in Houston, but he looked competent in Denver during the 2015 season behind a middling offensive line. Hypothetically, the Browns could offer a seventh-round pick to the Texans in exchange for Osweiler, a 2017 third-round pick and a 2018 first-rounder. Cleveland might not want Osweiler enough to find that to be worth $16 million, and Houston might not be willing to trade away two draft picks to move on from an expensive mistake. But the logic of using short-term cap space to trade for useful draft assets is there.

mac #1242791 03/09/17 05:07 PM
Legend
Legend
It wouldn't matter... we're on the hook for his salary this year no matter what.

For what he's getting paid, he should be willing to let us break his leg for him.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
We gave up a 4 to get Osw, a 2 next year and a 6 this year.

Pay attn: CUT Osw, absorb the cap hit.. KEEP the 2 and the 6

saint...PRANK?

Sorry Mac. It's not true.. I waz just prankin ya..

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: BigWillieStyle
What would you rather them do just sit on 17 million of unused cap space or get a 2nd rounder for it???? We don't owe him anything cap wise past this year.......you know a lot about football Pitt, but you are bad wrong on this one.

There is literally no downside for the Browns on this one......unless they play him haha.

It's funny. On this very board many posters make all the excuses in the world about moves the FO makes. Let's use not signing Scwartz to a contract they had already offered him.

They say we shouldn't overspend just because we have cap space. That just because you have cap space is no reason to overspend.

THEN, when our FO pays 16 mil. + for a second round draft pick, people say, "Why not, we have the cap space?"

It's funny to watch all of the side stepping and back tracking by so many posters. Hilarious!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I don't know if they really want Brockwieler or not.

But assuming the trade was made purely for the Cap space in return for a future 2nd and current 6th has anything like this been done in the NFL before?

Buying cap space via draft pick or buying a draft pick for money?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
They say we shouldn't overspend just because we have cap space. That just because you have cap space is no reason to overspend.

THEN, when our FO pays 16 mil. + for a second round draft pick, people say, "Why not, we have the cap space?"

$16 million for a second round pick is not overspending. That is a discount.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: edromeo
But assuming the trade was made purely for the Cap space in return for a future 2nd and current 6th has anything like this been done in the NFL before?

I don't think it has ever happened. It happens in the NBA all the time and recently got started in baseball.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I dog all the time Pitt, and if they don't get a QB and role with BO I will dog them again. I crucified them for Schwartz because it was stupid.

However, getting a 2nd round pick for NOTHING is a good thing. They weren't going to use the 17 million this year so they bought a pick with cap space........and he's off the book next year.

If they cut him/never pay him this is an incredibly good move with no downside.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: BigWillieStyle
What would you rather them do just sit on 17 million of unused cap space or get a 2nd rounder for it???? We don't owe him anything cap wise past this year.......you know a lot about football Pitt, but you are bad wrong on this one.

There is literally no downside for the Browns on this one......unless they play him haha.

It's funny. On this very board many posters make all the excuses in the world about moves the FO makes. Let's use not signing Scwartz to a contract they had already offered him.

It's funny to watch all of the side stepping and back tracking by so many posters. Hilarious!

thats silly and not even close to the same thing, overpaying for a player sets a bad precedence. Why give him more money when you are already offering him more than anyone else..lol..taking on the salary to buy picks is an investment in future talent and only affects you this year. Not sure why its so hard for some people to understand

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
V
Legend
Legend
V

I am not challenging you, but is there some kind of link to back that up? I would like to see someone who actually does this for a living verify how genius we are.

I have very limited knowledge about such things, so it would be cool to see it from someone who is credible on the national level.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
J/c

I don't if its gonna work but i give them props for being hella ballsy.

Legend
Legend

You're talking about eating a short-term cap-hit for ONE year to turn it into a high draft pick, versus signing a player to a multiple-year deal for much higher than their market value. Ask the Texans how that worked out for them.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

I agree. I think it's a brilliant move now that I am over the shock of him being a Brown for the moment at least.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You have to be kidding me! An unknown commodity that will be the 45th or so pick in a draft for 16 mil.? You're not signing a player. You're drafting a question mark.

Please tell me what mid second round picks and the rate of success we've had in that range? So far, what are the odds we'll get a quality player mid second round?

If you take a hard look at that, the odds aren't in your favor.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Don't panic yet. There is probably more to come on this.

He may be traded. Jets and Washington lots going on there.

Let's wait till the dust settles.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

You're talking about eating a short-term cap-hit for ONE year to turn it into a high draft pick, versus signing a player to a multiple-year deal for much higher than their market value. Ask the Texans how that worked out for them.
not to mention we already have the best market offer on the table of anyone..so i guess we just give him an extra 5 mill a year because he wants it...which is basically what they are saying..lol

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The only thing I can think is Pitt thinks this contract cap hit is ours for the next three years....if that were the case I would agree with him........but it's not, and he comes off the books at years end.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Lurker
And Lurker continues to lurk rofl

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
not to mention we already have the best market offer on the table of anyone..so i guess we just give him an extra 5 mill a year because he wants it...which is basically what they are saying..lol

And then watch them play like a mercenary because they don't really want to be here, but at least they got their payday.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well don't forget, after you draft the player you have to pay his contract on top of the 16 mil you paid for the pick.

I'll ask you the same question. How many mid second round draft picks have we made that you would be willing to add a 16 million dollar cap hit to draft?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
What if this extra 2nd round pick allows them to trade for their franchise guy, either trading for a pick, or trading for Jimmy G?

If we love a QB in this draft, but want Garrett as well, whose to say we don't offer #12 and a pair of future 2nd round picks to the Niners for #2? Heck, maybe we also throw in a 3rd.

Maybe we offer the Pats #12, and 2 future 2nd round picks for Jimmy G and #32? Maybe we throw in a 3rd as well. Who knows? The range of options we have is enormous now. Lots of tools in the toolbox.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
You have to be kidding me! An unknown commodity that will be the 45th or so pick in a draft for 16 mil.? You're not signing a player. You're drafting a question mark.

Please tell me what mid second round picks and the rate of success we've had in that range? So far, what are the odds we'll get a quality player mid second round?

If you take a hard look at that, the odds aren't in your favor.

Compare the value of whichever player you imagine us selecting with that pick with this: $16 million in cap space just sitting there doing absolutely nothing.

Which one actually gives you a shot at acquiring some talent in 2018??

The money is all cap hit on this season - it does NOTHING for us next year. The pick, however has the chance to be a quality player and probably a starter for possibly the next 4+ years. Plus, there is a pick this year, and there is the option of still having Osweiller as a backup in 2017.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Well don't forget, after you draft the player you have to pay his contract on top of the 16 mil you paid for the pick.

I'll ask you the same question. How many mid second round draft picks have we made that you would be willing to add a 16 million dollar cap hit to draft?

Might be able to re-sign Pryor...

...but that won't work, he would overshadow lil-Cory.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
[quote]
Compare the value of whichever player you imagine us selecting with that pick with this: $16 million in cap space just sitting there doing absolutely nothing.

Which one actually gives you a shot at acquiring some talent in 2018??

The money is all cap hit on this season - it does NOTHING for us next year. The pick, however has the chance to be a quality player and probably a starter for possibly the next 4+ years. Plus, there is a pick this year, and there is the option of still having Osweiller as a backup in 2017.

[/quote

That is it in a nut shell, and why there is not a down side to this trade other than potentially not cutting or depending upon BO to play.

Last edited by BigWillieStyle; 03/09/17 05:21 PM.

Legend
Legend
I aldo wanted to put forth another option.

We convert Brock's 2017 salary into a signing bonus, and give him maybe $6 million per year each for 3 years. That kind of deal could possibly be appealing to another team, and we could eat the $16 million we had to eat anyway, but maybe get something out of Osweiler.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B

What happens if Cleveland waives Brock, negotiate a RGiii contract, or trade? No matter what they keep the second round pick.

Last edited by bugs; 03/09/17 05:22 PM.
Legend
Legend
Whatever happens with that 2nd round pick is at least a CHANCE ... a lottery ticket to draft or acquire an asset that MIGHT be a great player. Might not, but at least it's a chance

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Interesting. The Browns managed to get worse at the QB position.

I like the 2nd round pick, however.

Legend
Legend
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @ AdamSchefter 2m 2 minutes ago

Teams already have reached out to Browns to inquire about Brock Osweiler's availability, per team sources.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I honestly don't know much about Osweiler, but is it possible that he becomes the best QB on our roster? I know the big knock was he wasn't worth his huge contract, but didn't he get that contract based on good performance in Denver in a year they won the championship? Yes, I just got done saying in another post that Denver won with defense, but my point is he played well enough to convince Houston he was worth an oversized contract. Then I read somewhere else he had a bad Oline in Texas. Didn't we just turn our Oline around?

I understand we don't even have to play him for this trade to be a win, but wouldn't it be nice if he actually turned out to be a good QB for us?

Last edited by W84NxtYrAgain; 03/09/17 05:24 PM. Reason: change earned to convinced...

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I aldo wanted to put forth another option.

We convert Brock's 2017 salary into a signing bonus, and give him maybe $6 million per year each for 3 years. That kind of deal could possibly be appealing to another team, and we could eat the $16 million we had to eat anyway, but maybe get something out of Osweiler.

I wouldn't count on that. As a backup, he probably has more value to us than anybody. At the very least, he makes RG3 expendable, which would free up more of our own cap room.

mac #1242846 03/09/17 05:23 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: mac

Might be able to re-sign Pryor...

...but that won't work, he would overshadow lil-Cory.

It happened, the transformation is complete. He is now 100% troll.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
The Brock Osweiler trade is another stroke of genius by the Browns 'Moneyball' front office
TWEET
EMAIL
By: Steven Ruiz | March 9, 2017 4:22 pm
It’s officially time to stop making fun of the Browns. That team that botched a countless draft picks, mishandled its salary cap and couldn’t resist firing coaches after one season is no more. This new Browns team knows what it’s doing, and just pulled off another intelligent move to go along with all the other intelligent moves the “Moneyball” front office has made since taking over last offseason.

Paul DePodesta, the team’s “chief strategy officer,” comes from the MLB world, but this is a move straight out of the NBA. The Browns are eating Osweiler’s contract in order to get the Texans’ second-round pick. Cleveland will owe Osweiler $16 million in 2017, but can part ways with the free agent bust after next season with no penalty. Or they can just eat that dead money now, which doesn’t matter when you have more cap space then you can realistically spend, as Cleveland does now.

Either way, Osweiler has no future in Cleveland…

Follow
Marc Sessler ✔ @MarcSesslerNFL
Browns exec to @MikeGarafolo on Osweiler: 'Don't assume this guy is our franchise QB. In fact, we're not so sure about his future (in CLE).'
4:07 PM - 9 Mar 2017

While the trade may not solve the team’s ever-lasting QB problem, it does serve two purposes for the Browns: (1) It allows them to sweeten a possible trade offer for Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo and (2) it helps the team get closer to the salary cap floor (teams have to spend at least 89% of the cap, per NFL rules) without having to hand a risky long-term deal out to a free agent.

The Browns are still sitting on over $50 million in cap space after this move, so this move does not affect their spending power (this year or in the future) in any way.

Essentially, Cleveland picked up a second-round pick for free. That’s been the front office’s MO this past year-and-a-half. It has acquired a ton of assets without giving much in return.

The Browns picked up up-and-coming LB Jamie Collins for a conditional draft pick. It picked up four extra draft picks from the Eagles, including the No. 12 pick in the 2017 draft, to move down only six spots in the first round of the 2016 draft. And now it’s picking up a second-rounder, which, if used correctly, should yield a solid starter, for a throwaway draft pick and a minimal cap penalties.

Of course, the Browns actually have to turn those draft picks into good players for any of this to matter, and drafting has never been the strength of this franchise. At the same time, this is not the same Browns front office we have been laughing at for the last two decades.

For more on the trade and more NFL offseason news, head over to USA TODAY Sports.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/nfl-offseason-trade-brock-osweiler-trade-browns-texans-analysis

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 3m3 minutes ago

Teams already have reached out to Browns to inquire about Brock Osweiler's availability, per team sources.

rofl

Available for a 2nd?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
The #Browns are planning on cutting Brock Osweiler, source said. Of course, if someone will trade for him…
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/839951319431589889

Tackles are tackles.
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Brock TO cleveland

Link Copied to Clipboard