DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: savagedawgs Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:32 PM
Again

spotrac
@spotrac

#Texans eat $9M in dead cap, #Browns take on a fully GTD $16M salary in 2017, then $18M , & $17M thru 2019 (non GTD) twitter.com/AdamSchefter/s…
Posted By: Pdawg Brock to Cleveland - 03/09/17 08:32 PM
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/839937960103530499

Stunner: Texans trade Brock Osweiler AND 2018 2nd-rd pick to CLEV for Browns to take Osweiler contract off Houston books, sources tell ESPN.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:32 PM
I don't know if we want to keep him, or if we ware just taking him off the Texans books. LOL We also get a 2018 2nd round pick for taking him. rofl

Sounds like a good use of cap space to me.
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:32 PM
omg i will puke if this is true ...
Posted By: savagedawgs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:32 PM
Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo

Browns have acquired Brock Osweiler and a second-rounder in 2018, as @AdamSchefter said
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Brock to Cleveland - 03/09/17 08:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Stunner: Texans trade Brock Osweiler AND 2018 2nd-rd pick to CLEV for Browns to take Osweiler contract off Houston books, sources tell ESPN.

They gave us that to take his contract!?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA
Posted By: savagedawgs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:33 PM
Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo

This doesn't mean Osweiler is the Browns' future at QB. Sounds like they were more interested in picking up the second-rounder
3:40 PM - 09 Mar 2017
ReplayRetweetFavorite
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:33 PM
LOL
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:34 PM
i'm so ... something
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:34 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I don't know if we want to keep him, or if we ware just taking him off the Texans books. LOL We also get a 2018 2nd round pick for taking him. rofl

Sounds like a good use of cap space to me.

IF they are just eating cap space then fine but this is a horrible move for the QB position
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:34 PM
I don't think that we're going to necessarily keep him. We just used our cap space to take him, and added a 2018 2nd rounder with him.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 4m4 minutes ago
More
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock to Cleveland - 03/09/17 08:34 PM
LOL
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns

They gave the Browns a 2nd rounder to take him off their hands!!! Win-Win.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:35 PM
I was wanting Osweiler last year...then he got insane money lol...Well now we got him and his insane money lol...He's not all that good, but he'll have some oline protection something he didnt have in Texas...If we can get Pryor he'll have a nice set of weapons.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:35 PM

link

Someone posted something like this a while back. Someone in the media posed the possibility of Houston dumping Brock and the contract on us, giving us a high pick along with Brock. No idea what Texans getting back, i imagine it has to be something to make it a trade. Maybe a 7th round pick. Maybe Cam?

Another 2nd in 2018. Maybe that pick and our #33 this year for Jimmy?
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Brock to Cleveland - 03/09/17 08:36 PM
Haha we go through 4 QBS every year...we are going to need Brock lol wish they threw WR Jalen Strong into the deal as well.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:36 PM
How did I know they'd screw up a QB signing?

LMAO
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

Definitely. We can also easily hold onto him to see if he shows anything in training camp. It really doesn't hurt the Browns in any way, except that they spend some money they needed to spend anyway.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:36 PM
SO we ate like 35 million in cap space for a 2nd rounder
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:36 PM
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

link

Someone posted something like this a while back. Someone in the media posed the possibility of Houston dumping Brock and the contract on us, giving us a high pick along with Brock. No idea what Texans getting back, i imagine it has to be something to make it a trade. Maybe a 7th round pick. Maybe Cam?

Now THAT would make me happy =)
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:36 PM
Quick-twitch outrage as a response to this is understandable. If what is being reported is true, this move is genius.

Honestly, this is up there with a 1st for TRich. Doesn't beat it, but it's up there.
2018 2nd rounder for clearing Texans cap space.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

It seems to be true:

Stunner: Texans trade Brock Osweiler AND 2018 2nd-rd pick to CLEV for Browns to take Osweiler contract off Houston books, sources tell ESPN

Posted By: leadtheway Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:37 PM
i would have asked for more taking that much cap space for a guy that won't play..I'd need picks this year
lol third new thread on this now!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:38 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

LMAO

This isn't screwing up anything. We took his deal off their hands, and got a 2018 2nd rounder for him. There is no downside to this deal for the Browns. They could cut him immediately, if they wanted to. Of course, there is no advantage to doing so, so I doubt they do that.
Posted By: TI84_Plus Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:38 PM
This is brilliant. our cap is only affected this year.

I hope we just cut him.
LOL yep!

Mods can delete at any time
Posted By: hitt Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:38 PM
Stupid FO....wonder how many of us posters saw that one happening...2nd rounder for cap space AND a guy who wants to improve....is he better than RGIII...he PROBABLY isn't as brittle.....GO Browns!!!!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:38 PM
Posted By: drobs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:39 PM
This is such a clever move. Eat the money for a future 2nd. If he isn't what we want, we only lose the cap that we would lose anyway beyond what you can roll over. How anyone can be annoyed at the thinking behind this is curious. We were the only team who could realistically pull this deal off.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:39 PM
Is his 2018 salary guaranteed
Posted By: mac Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:39 PM
Yet the Sashi and Jimmy can't find the money to sign Terrell Pryor...

...unreal.
Posted By: Lurker Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:39 PM
this is how i feel about the trade

http://giphy.com/gifs/geekandsundry-dan-casey-l0K4nCoSjvMx0agYE
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:40 PM

link

I did, well, I was one of them. I read on another board that the Texans were trying to ship Brock to anyone, even if it meant paying the team to take him and then cut him. Wow.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:40 PM
Originally Posted By: mac

They haven't? Why am I just hearing about this now?

Posted By: mgh888 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:40 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Quick-twitch outrage as a response to this is understandable. If what is being reported is true, this move is genius.

Honestly, this is up there with a 1st for TRich. Doesn't beat it, but it's up there.

Not only that -- but the myth that ownership is cheap would be put to rest (hopefully).
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:40 PM
did we have to trade anything for Osweiler? Osweiler is just as good as our QBs on our current roster imho...aka not elite by any means...but solid
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:40 PM

...unreal.

OMG
Posted By: steve0255 Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:41 PM
Hmmm, still think getting Cutler was a bad idea - This guy really bad last year. Maybe the Browns know something we don't?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:41 PM
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @ RapSheet 10s 11 seconds ago

The # Browns are expected to move on from Robert Griffin III. The Brock Osweiler acquisition should clear the way for that
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:41 PM
They got a free 2nd round pick for taking a contract that they didn't want. They actually bought a 2nd rounder, and have made it known that BO isn't part of the long term plans.

They have the cap space how is anyone complaining about this???
Posted By: savagedawgs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:41 PM
What do you think Vers? In favor or not?
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:41 PM
Originally Posted By: steve0255
Hmmm, still think getting Cutler was a bad idea - This guy really bad last year. Maybe the Browns know something we don't?

Good thing you opened a 4th thread on the topic.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

bahahahaha Vers I'm dying with that Joaquin Phoenix vid from signs lol
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:41 PM
already a thread going on this
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:42 PM
we landed on the moon!
Posted By: Dave Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:42 PM
I wonder if Denver would want him back for another #2?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
SO we ate like 35 million in cap space for a 2nd rounder

We are evidently adding a 2017 4th to the Texans, and getting back a 2017 6th rounder back as well. (and I am sure the 4th will be a compensatory pick, so almost a 5th rounder)

No, if I read it right, we eat the $16 million in guarantees for this year, and the next 2 years are non guaranteed.

Lemme check on that.

Yep. Per rotowold:

NFL | Salary Dump: Texans send Osweiler to Browns - Rotoworld.com
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/355609/salary-dump-texans-send-osweiler-to-browns?ls=roto:NFL:topheadlines

Browns acquired Brock Osweiler, a 2018 second-round pick, and a 2017 sixth-round pick from the Texans in exchange for a 2017 fourth-round pick.
This is a straight salary dump the likes of which we normally only see in the NBA. Essentially, the Texans sent a second-round pick to Cleveland in order to get the Browns to take Osweiler's bloated deal off their hands. With zero cap concerns, the Browns can pay Osweiler the rest of the guaranteed money ($16 million) on his contract, give him a shot to win the starting job, and cut him next offseason with no financial ramifications if (when) it does not work out. With Osweiler off the books, the Texans look set to make a real run at Tony Romo.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:42 PM
Looks like Romo is a Texan btw.
Posted By: Swish Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:43 PM
So if we move on from RG3 and re sign pryor, we're definitely going defense with the first 2 picks.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:43 PM
...Didn't see that one coming. We had the cap space. Got a 2nd rounder. Brock's not great, but he could look decent in Hue's offense if our new Line pans out.

First reaction was ick. Second was, wait a minute, this is kind of great. More Ammo next year and didn't give anything up but cap space. Is it really a trade though? Did we give them anything?
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:43 PM
I think they are stock piling picks for a Garropolo trade...........I really believe they are.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:43 PM
I think we are all stunned lol but hey we basically robbed them...all of our QBs are injured game in and game out...We will need Brock's body...has a huge arm, however not much else...but we will offer him O-line protection and hopefully add some weapons to whomever is playing our QB spot.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:43 PM
thanks ytown ... like the deal
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:44 PM
Jesus Christ.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:44 PM
https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/839940706483519488
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:44 PM
Yet Sashi, Jimmy and Dee can't seem to find the money to sign Terrell Pryor...you can't make this stuff up.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:44 PM
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @ RapSheet 10s 11 seconds ago

The # Browns are expected to move on from Robert Griffin III. The Brock Osweiler acquisition should clear the way for that

I don't think one has anything to do with the other (Brock coming and RG3 going).
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:44 PM
To sign Who????
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:45 PM
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
...Didn't see that one coming. We had the cap space. Got a 2nd rounder. Brock's not great, but he could look decent in Hue's offense if our new Line pans out.

First reaction was ick. Second was, wait a minute, this is kind of great. More Ammo next year and didn't give anything up but cap space. Is it really a trade though? Did we give them anything?

We give them a 4th. (probably a comp pick( We get back Brock, a 2017 6th rounder, and a 2018 2nd rounder. Not quite as good as originally reported, but still very good.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:45 PM
Originally Posted By: BigWillieStyle
I think they are stock piling picks for a Garropolo trade...........I really believe they are.

Would we be able to sign Polo to an extension still? Im sure we still have money.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:45 PM
It's times like this I'm glad I'm still not working. rofl willynilly
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:45 PM
So, this could be a 0 or 1 year 16m deal, 2 year 34m deal, or 3 year 51m deal. Plus we a 2nd rounder in 2018 and a 6th rounder in 2017. All of this for a 4th rounder?

Good use of the cap.

Worst case, we paid 16m and a 4th rounder for a 2nd rounder and 6th rounder.
Best case, we get a starting QB, 2nd rounder, and 6th rounder for a 4th rounder.
Most likely case is a 1 year rental for 16mnd a 4th rounder for a 2nd rounder and 6th rounder
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:46 PM
Cutting RG3 does pay for half of BO's money this year. I think BO stays as the backup, and is cut next year. Basically a free 2nd round pick.

What planet am I living on where the Browns are doing smart things???
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:46 PM
I'm not working either, but I'm at work...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:46 PM
Cutting RG3 does pay for half of BO's money this year. I think BO stays as the backup, and is cut next year. Basically a free 2nd round pick.

What planet am I living on where the Browns are doing smart things???
RG3 is gone, half his money pays for brock, we get a 2nd round pick ... and can trade that for either Jimmy G, or wait for Darnold
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:48 PM
https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.ph...ead#Post1221958

smile

There was rumor talk, only by a few in the media, that the Browns would trade for Brock just to eat his salary next season. We'd get their first or second and they'd walk away from the contract since we have so much cap space. Essentially, we'd be buying a pick off of them. Not sure if we'd play him, but it would save the Texans from having him walking the sidelines in an obvious awkward situation.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:48 PM

Those are the best kind of jobs to have. thumbsup
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:48 PM
And all of BO's cap cut hit comes this year.......so it doesn't affect long term cap situation.

My goodness the Browns aren't doing Browns things today at least...lol.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:48 PM
Whoa! We're loading up here!

Nathan Zegura‏Verified account @NathanZegura 4m4 minutes ago
More
This is all about the 2nd round pick folks.....browns now have 5 second round picks the next two years and 8 picks in first 2rds.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:48 PM
So, why not sign the best WR so our new QB has a large target to throw to?

...just an idea...Pryor might have a future in Cleveland with Osweiler as QB.
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:49 PM
Jimmy G come on down!!!!!

I will bet we give the Pats a lot of these picks and get this done.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:49 PM
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

Those are the best kind of jobs to have. thumbsup

Oh, I'm going to pay for it later (probably have to come in Saturday and Sunday, or at least open up the laptop at home), but today is just too much to ignore.
Posted By: Irish0414 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:49 PM
They are not planning on keeping him, Brock, this is an NBA trade so we give up the four and take on his contract. Now We will try to trade him very savy move. They are not done Pryor may still get signed
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:49 PM
we are leveraging our best asset: the cap
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:49 PM
We could sent 3 2nd round picks in the next 2 years to the Pats for Garropolo, and still have 2 2nd rounders left.

Not necessarily advocating that, just saying ....
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:50 PM
haha
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:50 PM

I don't think jeffery wants to come here..you said best right?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:50 PM
Eric Galko‏Verified account @ OptimumScouting

Update on # Browns draft picks:
2017 - 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6
2018 - 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7
11 picks EACH in next 2 drafts
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:50 PM

Holy crap. It's been reported that the best offer Pryor has right now is the one from the Browns. Do you expect us to bid against ourselves?
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:50 PM
what if ... i mean what if ... Brock is our new starter ... i mean what Hue thinks he can fix him ... why is the room getting so dark ... wait there is a light now ... why can't i move towards the light ... NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:51 PM
17m
The #Browns have just traded for Brock Osweiler, sources say (as @AdamSchefter reported). He goes from the #Texans with a 2018 2nd rounder.
Retweet
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:52 PM
it is now 4pm: let the games begin
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:52 PM
Sorry wrong tweet.......

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
From what I understand, the #Browns are weighing simply releasing Brock Osweiler after trading for him. NBA style
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:52 PM
I remember a weird fact on Osweiler...when he came to Arizona St. he came for basketball as a PG/SG...watching him play I've never seen it lol But a big big body for the AFC North...and a cannon...needs alot of improvement though (footwork, short to mild accuracy, and does throw those stupid McCown picks)
Posted By: Vambo Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:52 PM

...unreal.

All Terrell Pryor has to do is sign to get the best offer he has received so far...Terrell Pryor is holding up his own deal. saywhat
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:52 PM

LMAO

This isn't screwing up anything. We took his deal off their hands, and got a 2018 2nd rounder for him. There is no downside to this deal for the Browns. They could cut him immediately, if they wanted to. Of course, there is no advantage to doing so, so I doubt they do that.

Yeah, paying all those millions for a second round draft pick makes perfect sense! LMAO
Posted By: mac Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:54 PM
Sashi has only a freaking year to get Pryor under contract...too much to ask of our GM TO DO HIS FREAKING JOB?
Posted By: Vambo Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:54 PM

Holy crap. It's been reported that the best offer Pryor has right now is the one from the Browns. Do you expect us to bid against ourselves?

rofl banghead
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:55 PM
wow, that's crazy
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:55 PM
j/c:

I really have no idea what to say. mac is talking about Pryor and most of the rest are saying how clever we are. Meanwhile, my head is swimming.

Oh my goodness..........I just don't know what to say. I am still trying to pick my chin off of the floor.
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:55 PM
What would you rather them do just sit on 17 million of unused cap space or get a 2nd rounder for it???? We don't owe him anything cap wise past this year.......you know a lot about football Pitt, but you are bad wrong on this one.

There is literally no downside for the Browns on this one......unless they play him haha.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Vambo

rofl banghead

I think Mac is secretly Drew Rosenhaus
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:56 PM
I love this move. Sabermetrics at its finest.
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:56 PM
3 second round picks in 2018 could end up landing us either a lot of talent or be packaged well to move up in the draft. That is a lot of draft capital.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:57 PM

LMAO

Yeah, paying all those millions for a second round draft pick makes perfect sense! LMAO

What difference does it make?

We had over $100 million in cap space. We can't use it all to sign players we want. So we, essentially, bought a 2nd rounder. If ownership doesn't mind spending, what difference does it make to us?
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:57 PM
We gave up a 4 to get Osw, a 2 next year and a 6 this year.

Pay attn: CUT Osw, absorb the cap hit.. KEEP the 2 and the 6
Posted By: Vambo Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:57 PM

mac can't say the FO is cheap!
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:57 PM
What would you rather them do just sit on 17 million of unused cap space or get a 2nd rounder for it???? We don't owe him anything cap wise past this year.......you know a lot about football Pitt, but you are bad wrong on this one.

There is literally no downside for the Browns on this one......unless they play him haha.

lol. Turn on 92.3 the fan if you're in Cleveland. All Cleveland sports.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:57 PM
Holy crap. That is a brilliant move. We just bought a second round pick.

I love this front office.
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:57 PM
I really don't see BO ever playing a snap for the Browns. I think they'll immediately try to trade him...for something...anything...even if it's for a mid round pick. So essentially, they just got a 2nd rnd pick for nothing.

I think this move is FANTASTIC.

If they keep him? Well, couldn't be worse than what we've seen lately.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:58 PM
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg

Yep its not like we're going to max our cap this year anyways and this is the only year it would affect us
Posted By: drobs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:58 PM
This is leftfield thinking. It's frankly brilliant. If Hue can make BO work, then great but we can cut him right now and still have more cap space than we know what to do with. Bar signing Pryor obviously....despite having the best offer out there for him, allegedly.

We traded $$$ for a pick. A good pick.

EDIT: I've said this in another thread - we've been active in FA as we don't have many FAs ourselves so we dont really lose any comp picks. Maybe that is not that much of a consideration, but I still believe, now that I've digested what we've done, it is to eke out the advantages where we can. I don't think I've been as happy as a Browns fan in recent memory.

Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:58 PM
so we cut Osweiler already? damn savages lol
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:58 PM
If we just release him, virtually just buying a 2nd rounder - then it's quite frankly brilliant.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:58 PM
Quote:

WE DID WHAT?
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 08:58 PM
Sashi has only a freaking year to get Pryor under contract...too much to ask of our GM TO DO HIS FREAKING JOB?

Where did Pryor sign?
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 08:58 PM
Good gawd mac, give it a rest. They FO just made a brilliant use of cap space for basically a free 2nd rounder, and you're whining about them not throwing stupid money at Pryor just to sign him immediately at any cost. Could you maybe let that play out a bit?
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 09:00 PM
The only way the Browns can screw this up is to play him....lol. I love this move.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:00 PM

How much do you think a second round pick is worth? A good player picked in the second round is worth much more than the money we gave up.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 09:00 PM

saint...PRANK?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:01 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Yup!
If the CAVS pulled this move, people would be lauding them for creating something out of nothing.

We spent money that would otherwise just be sitting there and got a 2nd rounder for next year and the Texans even threw in a backup QB.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:01 PM
Probably will use that 2nd rounder with added picks to move up in next years draft for a QB?
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:01 PM
Any chance that the Pats would take Osweiler plus the Tenn 2nd this year and the Texan's 2nd next year for Jimmy? He'd essentially be free for the Pats for 1 year since we'd have to eat his salary.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:02 PM
If we cut him, we paid $17 mil for a 2nd round pick.
If we keep Brock and cut RG3 we paid $8.5 mil.
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:02 PM
Marc Sessler
@MarcSesslerNFL
Browns exec to @MikeGarafolo on Osweiler: 'Don't assume this guy is our franchise QB. In fact, we're not so sure about his future (in CLE).'
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:03 PM
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

I don't think Osweiler ever sets foot in Berea, let alone plays for us.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:03 PM

How much do you think a second round pick is worth? A good player picked in the second round is worth much more than the money we gave up.

Yes, and no.
If you think narrowly only in terms of salary, perhaps you're right..... but, if that 2nd round pick was a good player for another team, would you pay $16 million to acquire that player?

All they have to do is make a solid pick, and for the low, low price of $16M, you've purchased a quality player you otherwise had no shot at whatsoever. Additionally, you also got a 6th rounder and they threw in a backup QB!
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:04 PM
Originally Posted By: clwb419
Any chance that the Pats would take Osweiler plus the Tenn 2nd this year and the Texan's 2nd next year for Jimmy? He'd essentially be free for the Pats for 1 year since we'd have to eat his salary.

That would be a very interesting scenario.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:05 PM

I don't think Osweiler ever sets foot in Berea, let alone plays for us.

Nor do I. I think that the pick is all they wanted.
Posted By: Lurker Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:05 PM
Posted By: mac Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:06 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Yup!
If the CAVS pulled this move, people would be lauding them for creating something out of nothing.

We spent money that would otherwise just be sitting there and got a 2nd rounder for next year and the Texans even threw in a backup QB.

The Browns might want to cut Osweiler before he breaks his leg...if you know what I mean..
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:06 PM
I don't know he has the size and arm talent to make Hue interested or at least curious to see if he can elevate his game I bet. I mean we have him on the books either way and he did play decent for the Broncos so it will be interesting.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:06 PM

We could even try to restructure him, make a trade for Garoppolo, and let those 2 and Kesler battle it out. Say we get Brock's deal down to a $9 million hit this year, and cut RG3. That would make it almost a wash. Or we could keep all 5 QBs we currently have under contact, and see if someone winds up needing a QB doe to injury. We have a lot of options here.

I am thinking that we could send the Pats a 2018 2nd, a 2019 2nd, and a 2019 3rd for Garoppolo. Hmm .... that could be an interesting deal. Man, we have a ton of options for trades ..... lots of valuable pieces.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:07 PM
If you think narrowly only in terms of salary, perhaps you're right..... but, if that 2nd round pick was a good player for another team, would you pay $16 million to acquire that player?

Teams would pay way more than $16 million for a good player.

By the way, Bill Barnwell wrote about this exact scenario months ago.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18327...ere-hope-future

Quote:
There's also the possibility of using some of that cap space to essentially buy draft picks. I floated this as a feasible option earlier this week, but I'll spell it out a little clearer. Let's again use Brock Osweiler as an example. The Texans clearly regret signing Osweiler, who was benched this week for Tom Savage. It's possible Osweiler could improve, but the Texans would go back and erase his signing from the record if they could. Houston would surely love to dump Osweiler and use the money it would save to go after a superior quarterback such as Tony Romo or Jay Cutler this offseason, but the Texans are locked in: Osweiler is owed a $16 million guaranteed base salary in 2017, and if the Texans cut him, they would have a painful $25 million in dead money hit their cap next season. It would be a non-starter.

What the Texans could do, though, is trade Osweiler to a team who would be willing to pay his $16 million base salary. Houston would be left with a far more palatable $9 million in dead money on its 2017 cap. The problem, of course, is that nobody would want to pay Osweiler $16 million for the 2017 season unless there were dramatic incentives and no better options around. The Browns could fit both of those shoes. They've repeatedly shown how significantly they value draft picks, are willing to be patient to receive those picks and have no clear path to a starting quarterback. Osweiler has been a mess in Houston, but he looked competent in Denver during the 2015 season behind a middling offensive line. Hypothetically, the Browns could offer a seventh-round pick to the Texans in exchange for Osweiler, a 2017 third-round pick and a 2018 first-rounder. Cleveland might not want Osweiler enough to find that to be worth $16 million, and Houston might not be willing to trade away two draft picks to move on from an expensive mistake. But the logic of using short-term cap space to trade for useful draft assets is there.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:07 PM
It wouldn't matter... we're on the hook for his salary this year no matter what.

For what he's getting paid, he should be willing to let us break his leg for him.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 09:08 PM

saint...PRANK?

Sorry Mac. It's not true.. I waz just prankin ya..
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:09 PM

It's funny. On this very board many posters make all the excuses in the world about moves the FO makes. Let's use not signing Scwartz to a contract they had already offered him.

They say we shouldn't overspend just because we have cap space. That just because you have cap space is no reason to overspend.

THEN, when our FO pays 16 mil. + for a second round draft pick, people say, "Why not, we have the cap space?"

It's funny to watch all of the side stepping and back tracking by so many posters. Hilarious!
Posted By: edromeo Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:10 PM
I don't know if they really want Brockwieler or not.

But assuming the trade was made purely for the Cap space in return for a future 2nd and current 6th has anything like this been done in the NFL before?

Buying cap space via draft pick or buying a draft pick for money?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:10 PM
They say we shouldn't overspend just because we have cap space. That just because you have cap space is no reason to overspend.

THEN, when our FO pays 16 mil. + for a second round draft pick, people say, "Why not, we have the cap space?"

$16 million for a second round pick is not overspending. That is a discount.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:11 PM
Originally Posted By: edromeo
But assuming the trade was made purely for the Cap space in return for a future 2nd and current 6th has anything like this been done in the NFL before?

I don't think it has ever happened. It happens in the NBA all the time and recently got started in baseball.
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:11 PM
I dog all the time Pitt, and if they don't get a QB and role with BO I will dog them again. I crucified them for Schwartz because it was stupid.

However, getting a 2nd round pick for NOTHING is a good thing. They weren't going to use the 17 million this year so they bought a pick with cap space........and he's off the book next year.

If they cut him/never pay him this is an incredibly good move with no downside.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:12 PM

It's funny. On this very board many posters make all the excuses in the world about moves the FO makes. Let's use not signing Scwartz to a contract they had already offered him.

It's funny to watch all of the side stepping and back tracking by so many posters. Hilarious!

thats silly and not even close to the same thing, overpaying for a player sets a bad precedence. Why give him more money when you are already offering him more than anyone else..lol..taking on the salary to buy picks is an investment in future talent and only affects you this year. Not sure why its so hard for some people to understand
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:12 PM

I am not challenging you, but is there some kind of link to back that up? I would like to see someone who actually does this for a living verify how genius we are.

I have very limited knowledge about such things, so it would be cool to see it from someone who is credible on the national level.
Posted By: edromeo Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:13 PM
J/c

I don't if its gonna work but i give them props for being hella ballsy.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:13 PM

You're talking about eating a short-term cap-hit for ONE year to turn it into a high draft pick, versus signing a player to a multiple-year deal for much higher than their market value. Ask the Texans how that worked out for them.
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:14 PM

I agree. I think it's a brilliant move now that I am over the shock of him being a Brown for the moment at least.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:14 PM
You have to be kidding me! An unknown commodity that will be the 45th or so pick in a draft for 16 mil.? You're not signing a player. You're drafting a question mark.

Please tell me what mid second round picks and the rate of success we've had in that range? So far, what are the odds we'll get a quality player mid second round?

If you take a hard look at that, the odds aren't in your favor.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:14 PM

Don't panic yet. There is probably more to come on this.

He may be traded. Jets and Washington lots going on there.

Let's wait till the dust settles.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:14 PM
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

You're talking about eating a short-term cap-hit for ONE year to turn it into a high draft pick, versus signing a player to a multiple-year deal for much higher than their market value. Ask the Texans how that worked out for them.
not to mention we already have the best market offer on the table of anyone..so i guess we just give him an extra 5 mill a year because he wants it...which is basically what they are saying..lol
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:15 PM
The only thing I can think is Pitt thinks this contract cap hit is ours for the next three years....if that were the case I would agree with him........but it's not, and he comes off the books at years end.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Lurker
And Lurker continues to lurk rofl
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:17 PM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
not to mention we already have the best market offer on the table of anyone..so i guess we just give him an extra 5 mill a year because he wants it...which is basically what they are saying..lol

And then watch them play like a mercenary because they don't really want to be here, but at least they got their payday.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:17 PM
Well don't forget, after you draft the player you have to pay his contract on top of the 16 mil you paid for the pick.

I'll ask you the same question. How many mid second round draft picks have we made that you would be willing to add a 16 million dollar cap hit to draft?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:17 PM
What if this extra 2nd round pick allows them to trade for their franchise guy, either trading for a pick, or trading for Jimmy G?

If we love a QB in this draft, but want Garrett as well, whose to say we don't offer #12 and a pair of future 2nd round picks to the Niners for #2? Heck, maybe we also throw in a 3rd.

Maybe we offer the Pats #12, and 2 future 2nd round picks for Jimmy G and #32? Maybe we throw in a 3rd as well. Who knows? The range of options we have is enormous now. Lots of tools in the toolbox.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:18 PM
You have to be kidding me! An unknown commodity that will be the 45th or so pick in a draft for 16 mil.? You're not signing a player. You're drafting a question mark.

Please tell me what mid second round picks and the rate of success we've had in that range? So far, what are the odds we'll get a quality player mid second round?

If you take a hard look at that, the odds aren't in your favor.

Compare the value of whichever player you imagine us selecting with that pick with this: $16 million in cap space just sitting there doing absolutely nothing.

Which one actually gives you a shot at acquiring some talent in 2018??

The money is all cap hit on this season - it does NOTHING for us next year. The pick, however has the chance to be a quality player and probably a starter for possibly the next 4+ years. Plus, there is a pick this year, and there is the option of still having Osweiller as a backup in 2017.

Posted By: mac Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:19 PM
Well don't forget, after you draft the player you have to pay his contract on top of the 16 mil you paid for the pick.

I'll ask you the same question. How many mid second round draft picks have we made that you would be willing to add a 16 million dollar cap hit to draft?

Might be able to re-sign Pryor...

...but that won't work, he would overshadow lil-Cory.
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:20 PM
[quote]
Compare the value of whichever player you imagine us selecting with that pick with this: $16 million in cap space just sitting there doing absolutely nothing.

Which one actually gives you a shot at acquiring some talent in 2018??

The money is all cap hit on this season - it does NOTHING for us next year. The pick, however has the chance to be a quality player and probably a starter for possibly the next 4+ years. Plus, there is a pick this year, and there is the option of still having Osweiller as a backup in 2017.

[/quote

That is it in a nut shell, and why there is not a down side to this trade other than potentially not cutting or depending upon BO to play.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:20 PM
I aldo wanted to put forth another option.

We convert Brock's 2017 salary into a signing bonus, and give him maybe $6 million per year each for 3 years. That kind of deal could possibly be appealing to another team, and we could eat the $16 million we had to eat anyway, but maybe get something out of Osweiler.
Posted By: bugs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:21 PM

What happens if Cleveland waives Brock, negotiate a RGiii contract, or trade? No matter what they keep the second round pick.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:21 PM
Whatever happens with that 2nd round pick is at least a CHANCE ... a lottery ticket to draft or acquire an asset that MIGHT be a great player. Might not, but at least it's a chance
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:22 PM
Interesting. The Browns managed to get worse at the QB position.

I like the 2nd round pick, however.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:22 PM
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @ AdamSchefter 2m 2 minutes ago

Teams already have reached out to Browns to inquire about Brock Osweiler's availability, per team sources.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:22 PM
j/c

I honestly don't know much about Osweiler, but is it possible that he becomes the best QB on our roster? I know the big knock was he wasn't worth his huge contract, but didn't he get that contract based on good performance in Denver in a year they won the championship? Yes, I just got done saying in another post that Denver won with defense, but my point is he played well enough to convince Houston he was worth an oversized contract. Then I read somewhere else he had a bad Oline in Texas. Didn't we just turn our Oline around?

I understand we don't even have to play him for this trade to be a win, but wouldn't it be nice if he actually turned out to be a good QB for us?
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:22 PM
I aldo wanted to put forth another option.

We convert Brock's 2017 salary into a signing bonus, and give him maybe $6 million per year each for 3 years. That kind of deal could possibly be appealing to another team, and we could eat the $16 million we had to eat anyway, but maybe get something out of Osweiler.

I wouldn't count on that. As a backup, he probably has more value to us than anybody. At the very least, he makes RG3 expendable, which would free up more of our own cap room.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:23 PM

Might be able to re-sign Pryor...

...but that won't work, he would overshadow lil-Cory.

It happened, the transformation is complete. He is now 100% troll.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:23 PM
Quote:
The Brock Osweiler trade is another stroke of genius by the Browns 'Moneyball' front office
TWEET
EMAIL
By: Steven Ruiz | March 9, 2017 4:22 pm
It’s officially time to stop making fun of the Browns. That team that botched a countless draft picks, mishandled its salary cap and couldn’t resist firing coaches after one season is no more. This new Browns team knows what it’s doing, and just pulled off another intelligent move to go along with all the other intelligent moves the “Moneyball” front office has made since taking over last offseason.

Paul DePodesta, the team’s “chief strategy officer,” comes from the MLB world, but this is a move straight out of the NBA. The Browns are eating Osweiler’s contract in order to get the Texans’ second-round pick. Cleveland will owe Osweiler $16 million in 2017, but can part ways with the free agent bust after next season with no penalty. Or they can just eat that dead money now, which doesn’t matter when you have more cap space then you can realistically spend, as Cleveland does now.

Either way, Osweiler has no future in Cleveland…

Follow
Marc Sessler ✔ @MarcSesslerNFL
Browns exec to @MikeGarafolo on Osweiler: 'Don't assume this guy is our franchise QB. In fact, we're not so sure about his future (in CLE).'
4:07 PM - 9 Mar 2017

While the trade may not solve the team’s ever-lasting QB problem, it does serve two purposes for the Browns: (1) It allows them to sweeten a possible trade offer for Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo and (2) it helps the team get closer to the salary cap floor (teams have to spend at least 89% of the cap, per NFL rules) without having to hand a risky long-term deal out to a free agent.

The Browns are still sitting on over $50 million in cap space after this move, so this move does not affect their spending power (this year or in the future) in any way.

Essentially, Cleveland picked up a second-round pick for free. That’s been the front office’s MO this past year-and-a-half. It has acquired a ton of assets without giving much in return.

The Browns picked up up-and-coming LB Jamie Collins for a conditional draft pick. It picked up four extra draft picks from the Eagles, including the No. 12 pick in the 2017 draft, to move down only six spots in the first round of the 2016 draft. And now it’s picking up a second-rounder, which, if used correctly, should yield a solid starter, for a throwaway draft pick and a minimal cap penalties.

Of course, the Browns actually have to turn those draft picks into good players for any of this to matter, and drafting has never been the strength of this franchise. At the same time, this is not the same Browns front office we have been laughing at for the last two decades.

For more on the trade and more NFL offseason news, head over to USA TODAY Sports.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/nfl-offseason-trade-brock-osweiler-trade-browns-texans-analysis
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:23 PM
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 3m3 minutes ago

Teams already have reached out to Browns to inquire about Brock Osweiler's availability, per team sources.

rofl

Available for a 2nd?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:23 PM
The #Browns are planning on cutting Brock Osweiler, source said. Of course, if someone will trade for him…
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/839951319431589889
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:23 PM
Jason La Canfora
@JasonLaCanfora
Been hearing a long time that a package of 3 2nd round picks might be fair value for Garoppolo. Browns now have a ton of them next few years

3:28pm · 9 Mar 2017 · Twitter for BlackBerry
Posted By: mac Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:23 PM
Pryor will never work in Cleveland...lil Cory would never be the Browns #1 wr if Sashi re-signed Pryor.

Come first game of 2017, Cory Coleman will be listed as the Browns #1...Kenny Britt #2 or #3 or IR.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:23 PM
nice article, thanks vers
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:23 PM
It wouldn't matter... we're on the hook for his salary this year no matter what.

For what he's getting paid, he should be willing to let us break his leg for him.

rofl rofl rofl

That was HYSTERICAL ...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:24 PM
it might be for jimmy g
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:24 PM
Quote:
but wouldn't it be nice if he actually turned out to be a good QB for us?

It'd be nice even if he ended up as a solid backup.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:24 PM

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/839950730526068736
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:24 PM
that's so cgood
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:24 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
2m
The #Browns are planning on cutting Brock Osweiler, source said. Of course, if someone will trade for him…
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:24 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/839951319431589889

Watch the Texans take him back now that he's sans big-contract. grin
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:25 PM
I'm not sure why it's so hard to comprehend that almost everyone and their brother made the excuse to save cap space last year when it came to signing Schwartz.

Now this year, it's suddenly a brilliant move to spend 16 mil. on a mid second round pick who, if you look at the stats, has a VERY low chance of being, as some describe as an "impact player" for us.

You do realize it wouldn't have taken much more in guaranteed money to sign Schwartz last year, right? A proven commodity.

You do realize that cap space just sat there last year when we didn't sign Scwartz too, right?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:25 PM
Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @ JasonLaCanfora now 5 seconds ago

Breaking News: Browns shopping Osweiler contract all over the league. Want to trade Brock and late rnd pick for '18 3rd rnd pick ...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:26 PM
we're freaking moving and shaking
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:26 PM
Quote:
Breaking News: Browns shopping Osweiler contract all over the league. Want to trade Brock and late rnd pick for '18 3rd rnd pick .

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/839951903886802944

Unbelievable.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:26 PM
we have our eyes on someone
Posted By: mac Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:26 PM
Maybe now, Sashi and Jimmy can find the money to re-sign Pryor...
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:26 PM
I have no idea who was screaming to save cap on Schwartz, but even if absolutely everybody did it has no bearing on this whatsoever.

This deal stands on its own - whatever was said or done with Schwartz has absolutely nothing to do with this at all, and I'm not sure in any way how you think it does.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 09:27 PM
Browns telling other teams that they will also eat "at least half" of the $16M due to Osweiler this year to facilitate the trade...
— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) March 9, 2017
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 09:28 PM
Wow!
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 09:28 PM
"Trust the process"

Suck it Philly.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:28 PM

You do realize it wouldn't have taken much more in guaranteed money to sign Schwartz last year, right? A proven commodity.

You do realize that cap space just sat there last year when we didn't sign Scwartz too, right?

To further respond to this: I'm on board with this. I wanted Schwartz here and I felt we NEEDED him to be here. I was among the first on here pointing out that his biggest fault was that he isn't Joe Thomas or Ryan Tucker and that he was a pretty damned good RT.

STILL - none of that has anything at all to do with this Brock deal.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:29 PM
Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @ JasonLaCanfora 26s 26 seconds ago

Browns are fixated on the 3rd round pick in 2018, leading many to believe they're out to deal bevy of picks to NE for Jimmy G
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:29 PM
I think it has a lot to do with some posters talking out both sides of their mouths. lmao
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:29 PM
Browns telling other teams that they will also eat "at least half" of the $16M due to Osweiler this year to facilitate the trade...
— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) March 9, 2017

Woah!

Dude, I'm ready to bust out some freaking pom-poms and start cheering this FO on.
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 09:29 PM
They are going to trade for JG Vers.......I feel it man!!!!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:29 PM
LOL
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:29 PM

I'm with Willie on this one Pit ...

I think this FO has two major black eyes and Schwartz is one of them ...

But i love this move ... there's nO DOWNSIDE .... NONE ... now as usual ... it will depend on what they do with the pick ... but thats an entirely different situation ...

I'm not a fan of this FO at all ... I think they did what they should have today .... hopefully we'll get Pryor signed ... that would make me a hell of a lot happier about the Britt signing ... him and coleman would be a BLEAK ASS RECIEVING corp ...

This move though .. IMPRESSIVE .... like i said bro ... ZERO DOWNSIDE ....
Posted By: mac Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:30 PM
I'm not sure why it's so hard to comprehend that almost everyone and their brother made the excuse to save cap space last year when it came to signing Schwartz.

Now this year, it's suddenly a brilliant move to spend 16 mil. on a mid second round pick who, if you look at the stats, has a VERY low chance of being, as some describe as an "impact player" for us.

Pit...while what you say is true...you fail to recognize that the Browns won the title for MOST CAP SPACE at the end of the 2016/2017 season..after the Super Bowl.

Can't say that Sashi and Jimmy didn't win something! grin
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:30 PM
I think it has a lot to do with some posters talking out both sides of their mouths. lmao

You worry about who was "right" and who was "wrong" and who said this or whatever.

I'm ganna enjoy the show. Because I don't care, as long as we win.
Posted By: Lurker Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:31 PM
I think we are going to give 2 this year and a 2 & 3 next year for jimmy G
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:31 PM
Remember when we signed Britt, Tretter, and Zeitler? When was that?

Crazy day.
Posted By: dean_fairchild Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:32 PM
Is this Genius or madness????????????
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:32 PM

Can the 2 this year be #52?

Sorry I'm greedy.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:33 PM
Bill Polian doesn't understand the trade.

Basically confirms it was a great move.
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:33 PM
I haven't felt this excited by the Browns in such a long time.
Posted By: mac Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:33 PM
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

You worry about who was "right" and who was "wrong" and who said this or whatever.

that...and you are not different than a majority of Browns fans who simply "follow", believing that being a billionaire and a harvard grad means you are smart enough to own an nfl franchise..and be the gm of the same nfl franchise.
Posted By: Lurker Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:34 PM

Can the 2 this year be #52?

Sorry I'm greedy.

I think they are too smart to give up a high 2 this year... Our first 2 is 1.

So if we can trade Brock for a 3rd... then we are getting JG for only a 2 this year and money.... freaking genius.
Posted By: bugs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:35 PM

I bet that nearly killed him saying nice things about the Browns. He had done nothing but dog Cleveland this whole year.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:35 PM

that...and you are not different than a majority of Browns fans who simply "follow", believing that being a billionaire and a harvard grad means you are smart enough to own an nfl franchise..and be the gm of the same nfl franchise.

Then buy the team and run it the way you want.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:36 PM
Originally Posted By: bugs

I bet that nearly killed him saying nice things about the Browns. He had done nothing but dog Cleveland this whole year.

I was being sarcastic.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 09:36 PM
They are going to trade for JG Vers.......I feel it man!!!!

I agree. Potentially, flipping Osweiler for another pick. The Nerds are geniuses!!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:36 PM
Actually I feel that if you're unhappy with the way they treated the Schwartz deal, this deal may make you happy. I'm not really disappointed with the deal depending on how it all shakes out. Now if they decide to put their eggs in the Brock basket, I'll be pizzed off. If it's a leverage deal and they find a way to trade Brock off, I'll be more excited about it.

But I think you have to admit, those who made excuses for not re-signing Schwartz because of cap money, surely shouldn't be two faced and support this. They can't have it both ways Bud.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:37 PM

Yup!

The Browns might want to cut Osweiler before he breaks his leg...if you know what I mean..

It doesn't matter. We still would be on the hook for the same amount.

Something interesting here. We could actually try to trade him to other teams by discounting his contract now. We could tell a team that we'll pay $5 mil of that $17 mil so a QB needy team could try him out for the year at $12 mil. Would that be worth it for a team like the Jets?

As long as Brock gets his $17 mil, he'd be willing to restructure. He'd get less than that on the open market.

Edit***
Uggh. I should have known the FO was way ahead of me about the contract. I hadn't yet read the La Cornholio rumor when I posted this.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Browns Trade for Osweiler - 03/09/17 09:37 PM
I don't know what analytics says about this,but this old poker player says it is a very shrewd move by the Browns.
16 mil is the going rate for avg starters.
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:37 PM
One thing to think about is Brock is cheaper than franchising Jimmy G. for 2 years for a NE trade. If we sent Brock, ate his cap hit, and sent them picks for Jimmy G. then that would rock the entire NFL.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:38 PM

I wouldn't care either if I were you. It's always great when people can talk out both sides of their mouth and nobody ever calls them on it. lmao
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:39 PM
Actually I feel that if you're unhappy with the way they treated the Schwartz deal, this deal may make you happy. I'm not really disappointed with the deal depending on how it all shakes out. Now if they decide to put their eggs in the Brock basket, I'll be pizzed off. If it's a leverage deal and they find a way to trade Brock off, I'll be more excited about it.

But I think you have to admit, those who made excuses for not re-signing Schwartz because of cap money, surely shouldn't be two faced and support this. They can't have it both ways Bud.

Those who did that were idiots.......we should have resigned Schwartz. However, this is a great deal entirely independent of the Schwartz fiasco.

Your backing yourself into a bad argument man, because morons from last year were stupid
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:39 PM
Originally Posted By: savagedawgs
Again

spotrac
@spotrac

#Texans eat $9M in dead cap, #Browns take on a fully GTD $16M salary in 2017, then $18M , & $17M thru 2019 (non GTD) twitter.com/AdamSchefter/s…

Don't take this as fact, but someone on facebook is saying that we got Brock and his contract and a 2nd rounder (not sure what year) and we gave up a 4th this year. Again, that was a guy who said he was a denver fan and said that Brock O was very slow to release the ball.

Elway sure cried like a baby when he beat feet to Houston.. I guess we'll see.
Posted By: texaslostdawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:42 PM
Does he have offset in his contract?
If we cut him somebody pays him 3 mil we would be on hook for 13 right?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:42 PM

Like, he literally doesn't understand. He didn't know teams could make trades. He then muttered, "Randy Moss is not a Hall of Famer. . ."
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Again

spotrac
@spotrac

Don't take this as fact, but someone on facebook is saying that we got Brock and his contract and a 2nd rounder (not sure what year) and we gave up a 4th this year. Again, that was a guy who said he was a denver fan and said that Brock O was very slow to release the ball.

A little late to the party, bro!
Posted By: mac Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:43 PM
Quote:
we gave up a 4th this year.

The Browns 4th..is the same value as a late round 3rd....that is not chicken feed, folks.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:44 PM
Yanno.. I'd trade away Osw for a 4th. Get that pick back.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:45 PM

This might be my favorite post of all time.
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:46 PM
Benjamin Allbright
@AllbrightNFL
The #Browns are seriously getting calls about Brock Osweiler.

Seriously.

If I'm dreaming nobody better friggin wake me up
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:46 PM
Quote:

The Browns 4th..is the same value as a late round 3rd....that is not chicken feed, folks.

Not if it's one of the compensatory 4th round picks.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:46 PM
Quote:

The Browns 4th..is the same value as a late round
3rd....that is not chicken feed, folks.

It was the 36th pick in the fourth round. Try again.
Posted By: drobs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:47 PM
I can't see how anyone can be anything less than pleased at this trade but that's just me. We utilise cap space for a pick. Cap space we weren't going to spend. Unless we offered Pryor a 1 year 45m deal.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:48 PM

Like, he literally doesn't understand. He didn't know teams could make trades. He then muttered, "Randy Moss is not a Hall of Famer. . ."

Herm Edwards seems literally offended by the idea of trying to get draft picks.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:49 PM

Herm Edwards seems literally offended by the idea of trying to get draft picks.

Why are these the two guys they have on to talk about this?!?!

(I am not watching. It just doesn't make sense.)
Posted By: eotab Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:50 PM
j/c...just going to brief I hear there are 2 other threads on the subject.

1. For a NY minute Brock was the best thing since Sliced Bread. Then he started playing the 2016 season. My son and I hated him...lol

2. Every now and then he would show signs of great but that was far and few between.

3. Will the new environment help? Can Hue turn this kid around? Really we didn't give up much CAP ROOM which we have plenty...and the kicker of the deal we got the Texans 2nd round pick in 2018...that gives us 3 now.

4. He'll have to beat out Kessler or RG3, is RG3 gone yet???

Didn't see this one coming...Hopefully Hue got those magic beans from the fair...lol

Ya never know!
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:50 PM
There's a round table.

I watched a clip earlier.

Bunch of people waiting around for Schefters phone to buzz.
Posted By: Stetson76 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:53 PM
So can I be the first to say that I would absolutely die from laughter if Houston now signs Pryor due to the cap space we just freed up for them. Not that I want TP gone but Mac's reaction would literally be priceless...
Posted By: kwhip Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:54 PM
Benjamin Allbright
@AllbrightNFL
The #Browns are seriously getting calls about Brock Osweiler.

Seriously.

If I'm dreaming nobody better friggin wake me up

Dude. Keep me updated.

This is one of the BEST moves this team has made in 30 years.

People. STOP trying to figure Cap hits. Osweiler will never see Berea.
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:58 PM
Again

spotrac
@spotrac

O Captain! My Captain! Some things never change.

The Browns are certainly making this interesting.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 09:59 PM
I just have to say, the Texans must really not like Brock Osweiler.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:00 PM

The best part is?

They are post likely replacing him with Tony Romo.

Hilarious.
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:00 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...just going to brief I hear there are 2 other threads on the subject.

1. For a NY minute Brock was the best thing since Sliced Bread. Then he started playing the 2016 season. My son and I hated him...lol

2. Every now and then he would show signs of great but that was far and few between.

3. Will the new environment help? Can Hue turn this kid around? Really we didn't give up much CAP ROOM which we have plenty...and the kicker of the deal we got the Texans 2nd round pick in 2018...that gives us 3 now.

4. He'll have to beat out Kessler or RG3, is RG3 gone yet???

Didn't see this one coming...Hopefully Hue got those magic beans from the fair...lol

Ya never know!

It doesn't sound like the plan entails keeping him, so I wouldn't put a lot of thought into that yet.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:01 PM
I don't see why everyone is so sure Brock is a bum. Yes, he played poorly last year but he played pretty solid the year before..... If we can't trade him then I'd keep him and see if his play can improve. Nothing to lose.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Again

spotrac
@spotrac

Normal.
Posted By: drobs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:04 PM

Which makes their gargantuan offer last offseason seem soooooooo....gargantuan?

I think it just shows. No-one knows if a QB is "it". Bill lucked into Brady IMHO. He's a great coach, GM, but I think you need luck to get a QB. They are rarer than a good Browns offseason....our luck is changing... laugh
Posted By: eotab Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:04 PM
Yep, I just read that teams are interested in him...that would actually be amazing and bazaar at the same time! Stuff legends are made of lol laugh
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:05 PM
I haven't felt this excited by the Browns in such a long time.

The off-season and draft days are the best days to be Browns fans!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:06 PM
Also, leading the league in cap space won't get us anywhere!

Seriously, the more I think about this move the better it is.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:07 PM
I was hoping the Browns would do this move with Romo and the Cowboys, but this is much better.
Posted By: drobs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:08 PM
If somehow we can get San Fran to gives us their 1st this year for Brock, we can take Garret, trade down, pick up Adams, and then ensure we get Trubisky.

I just woke up.

We deserve some luck, fortune. I'm smiling like it's sunny smile

EDIT: I am obviously kidding above .....
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:09 PM
As far as the Pryor thing. Do you REALLY want to pay him 14-15 million after ONE year at WR? Pryor wanted big money. They made him an offer and the door is still open. But if we are going to sign a WR for huge bucks then I wouldn't sign Pryor I'd sign Alshon Jeffery if possible.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
As far as the Pryor thing. Do you REALLY want to pay him 14-15 million after ONE year at WR? Pryor wanted big money. They made him an offer and the door is still open. But if we are going to sign a WR for huge bucks then I wouldn't sign Pryor I'd sign Alshon Jeffery if possible.

Jeffery signed with the Eagles. One year, $14 million (I think).
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:13 PM
Quote:

A Texans 2018 2nd rounder isn't chicken feed either. Plus another late rounder this year. And wait that's not all. This deal has more legs. Just a hunch.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:14 PM
Ah I didn't see that. Oh well. Still I'd offer Pryor a nice contract but I wouldn't give him top WR money. He's a really solid #2 he's not worth top money. 6-8 million per, yes. 10+ hell no.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:15 PM
Quote:

Did you go to Harvard? Maths and Football don't mix.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:22 PM
I read somewhere that we swapped compensatory picks; we get Osweiler and his contract, their 2nd next year, and their 6th round comp pick this year, they get much needed cap room and our 4th round comp pick this year.
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:25 PM
Quote:

Did you go to Harvard? Maths and Football don't mix.

LOL....those dastardly Harvard boys!!!!
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Again

spotrac
@spotrac

Didn't have time to read the whole thread.. So if I missed it, I beg your pardon..
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:31 PM
You don't read threads before you post?
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:34 PM
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

WOW,,, I was posting what I saw on facebook,, And no, I didn't read the entire thread first... I warned everyone not to take it as gospel..

What the hell else do you want?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:35 PM

WOW,,, I was posting what I saw on facebook,, And no, I didn't read the entire thread first... I warned everyone not to take it as gospel..

Well now we all think we traded for Osweiler?

What are you going to do to fix this?
Posted By: NYCDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:36 PM
If the Browns saw Brock as a piece of their plan, they would have an announcement on their website or twitter by now.

I can understand why Zeitler isn't up yet....he may not have taken pen to paper yet. However, the OW deal is done.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:36 PM

I agree with that 100% Pit .. no argument from me on the hypocritical/ 2 faced BS ... it permeates the place ... and they don't even know it ..
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:40 PM

What the hell else do you want?

Out of you? Nothing.

However, I most often read a thread PRIOR to posting in it to make sure any news that I have that I feel might be "breaking news" wasn't covered, like 3 pages earlier.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:42 PM
Link from the Browns:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...11-47a42e1ba319
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:42 PM
Mary Kay Cabot‏Verified account @MaryKayCabot

I'm told #Patriots would likely want #Browns No. 1 overall this yr & prob 1st in '18 for Jimmy. 12+ prob won't do it
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:43 PM

I'm told #Patriots would likely want #Browns No. 1 overall this yr & prob 1st in '18 for Jimmy. 12+ prob won't do it

If this is true (and it probably isn't). Then the Patriots really, really don't want to trade Garoppolo.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:44 PM
They're not getting 2 first, let alone #1 and they know it.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:44 PM

Forget that.
Posted By: drobs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:45 PM
Let's see how good BB is at cap management next offseason....no doubt he'll pull something out of some hat...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:45 PM
Originally Posted By: drobs
Let's see how good BB is at cap management next offseason....no doubt he'll pull something out of some hat...

They'll franchise him and trade him then.
Posted By: NYCDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:47 PM
I see it's now up there, but not on the front page. It's Bitonio. The announcement talks more about the joy of having the pick before it mentions Brock.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:47 PM

Weren't you the one begging for o-line help?
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:53 PM
For the record my take on the Schwartz......

#1150325 - 09/06/16 10:30 AM Re: The Browns Front Office....still not ready for prime time..(imo) [Re: mgh888]
BigWillieStyle Online content

Dawg Talker

Loc: Mississippi
I read that as the Browns offered 7 million a year, and Swartz wanted to test the market. He came back to the Browns wanting to accept the original offer and the Browns for some inexplicable reason pulled the offer.

Sorry this is a bad move by the FO. I don't agree with mac often, but he is right on this one....the Browns blew it on Swartz. I think they had zero shot in retaining Mack, but Swartz wanted to test FA and see what he could get, and the Browns were somehow offended by that and let a young pretty good RT go for nothing.

It was a horrible decision then, and is a horrible decision still.....no way to sugar coat it.
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:56 PM
They made a mistake with swartz. We all agree on that. Looks like they learned from their mistake though so let's all get over it.
Posted By: eotab Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:57 PM
Don't you think there was a little something else involved...btw I have stated that I thought it was a mistake by our FO...but it didn't make sense to me unless Schwartz burnt the bridge with us somehow.

No biggy now - we have moved on and I love what we are doing now.

jmho
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 10:57 PM
Off the top of my head, I don't recall anyone arguing for letting Schwartz go on the basis of cap hit. It was more along the lines of how it all went down, and them not agreeing on how good Schwartz actually was.

As for myself, I don't think we'll ever know the whole story regarding how all that went down. The decision to pull the offer seemed so petty (and still does), that I think there's more to it than we heard.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 11:18 PM
Back to Brock...if they don't find a trading partner for BO, I don't see an issue with seeing what we have in him. He has to beat out RG3 and Kessler, right? Is it beyond believable that he could be better than either of them?

I think there is a huge negative stigma attached to him because he wasn't worth that huge contract. That doesn't necessarily make him worthless. I don't see him as the long term answer, but isn't it possible he can be the short term answer?

(I really don't know much about him, other than he did a decent job in Denver, then didn't live up to his contract in Houston.)
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 11:19 PM
I agree, but let's see if someone wants to trade for him...

:-)
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 11:20 PM
Osweiler was one of the worst QBs in NFL history last year. He refused to throw the ball downfield (despite having Nuke Hopkins and Will Fuller) and didn't take care of the ball.

I'd rather start Griffin and Griffin is horrible.
Posted By: Vambo Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 11:20 PM
Browns get creative with cap space in Brock Osweiler trade

Pat McManamonESPN Staff Writer

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-brown...-osweiler-trade

The Cleveland Browns sent the NFL world fluttering for a brief moment on Thursday when it was announced they were acquiring quarterback Brock Osweiler in a trade with Houston.

Just as quickly as the noise started, it quieted — because the Browns true intentions quickly became known. They were given a second-round pick to accept the $16 million in guaranteed money Osweiler is due.

For the Browns, this was about getting that second-round pick, their third, in the 2018 draft.

It was a smart way to use the salary cap space, a smart way to get a second-round pick and a good way to stockpile more picks to build a roster that needs as many players as it can find.

Terms: Only one matters here — Osweiler is due $16 million in guaranteed salary this season.

Grade: A. A team with more than $100 million in cap room can afford to absorb $16 million. It's not consequential, but it is manageable. The trade essentially is draft picks. Houston gave up a second-round pick in 2018 and a sixth-round pick in 2017 for Cleveland's 2017 fourth-round pick, the 142nd overall. That's a win for the Browns — and they can make it better if they can somehow trade Osweiler for yet another draft pick, even if they have to agree to pay part of Osweiler's salary.

What it means: The Browns are loaded in draft picks the next two years. Adding a third second-round pick in 2018 means the Browns will have 10 picks in the first and second rounds in the drafts in 2016, '17 and 18. They have to get them right, but that should position a building team well.

What's the risk: Hard to see any. Osweiler isn't the Browns' long-term answer, so he will probably be elsewhere in 2017. The draft picks can be used to select more players, or to make a trade, which the Browns did when they acquired linebacker Jamie Collins. There isn't a team in the league that would turn down second- and sixth-round picks for a fourth-round choice.
Posted By: Squires Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 11:30 PM
I wouldn't call this move "brilliant" At least not yet. This FO has proven they can stock up on draft picks. What they haven't proven is if they can turn draft picks into talented players that can win games. If none of the moves they made today translate into wins, then it doesn't matter how many picks they acquire.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 11:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Squires
I wouldn't call this move "brilliant" At least not yet. This FO has proven they can stock up on draft picks. What they haven't proven is if they can turn draft picks into talented players that can win games. If none of the moves they made today translate into wins, then it doesn't matter how many picks they acquire.

The trades are one thing. The picks are a different thing. The trade is good. We don't know about the pick(s).
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 11:32 PM
If the Browns want to trade Osweiler, I wish Sashi wouldn't have talked about how much he coveted the second round draft pick and the other source saying something about BO not being on the roster.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 11:39 PM
If the Browns want to trade Osweiler, I wish Sashi wouldn't have talked about how much he coveted the second round draft pick and the other source saying something about BO not being on the roster.

I don't think that hurts them in this case.

Teams are going to know how we feel about him as soon as we start entertaining trade offers anyway. If anything, it gets GM's thinking that there is a potentially cheap QB out there.
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 11:39 PM
Well even if they just throw darts onto a board if they have more darts then at least there is a higher chance of landing a bullseye here and there. 3-5 players from any draft is a good draft. Hoping the higher picks are some of the 3-5 but there is no guarantees.
Posted By: kwhip Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 11:46 PM

There's a reason.

I'm being told that regardless of who takes Osweiler. We are on the hook for his 16M Minus whatever he signs for. We release him he's a FA.

This was a superb move and lit the NFL up. I love it.
Posted By: Haus Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/09/17 11:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Squires

The trades are one thing. The picks are a different thing. The trade is good. We don't know about the pick(s).

Agreed. I like this trade, and beyond that, I like the concept of the trade. Draft picks and cap space are both assets and there's no reason why teams shouldn't manage them as such. NBA teams do it regularly. The Browns highly value picks and have plenty of cap space-- this trade makes sense for them. If the Texans really need the cap space, it may very well be a good trade for them as well.

If this type of trade becomes more common in the NFL, I wonder what the equilibrium will be. The draft value chart does a decent enough job of comparing the value of picks to other picks. What is the draft pick value of x million dollars*?

*Arguably percentage of salary cap would be a better reference point than dollars in an absolute sense, but I'm probably getting ahead of myself now.
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:35 AM
I don't know guys if we are on the hook for his salary either way why not make him the 3rd stringer with a chance to earn it. I mean he is a big physical QB with a strong arm. Maybe Hue could develop him. We don't lose anything if he doesn't. I wouldn't hand him anything mind you but nothing wrong with letting him compete. I bet he would have a hell of a chip on his shoulder right now to prove himself.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:37 AM
Because a team willing to pay part of his salary AND give us a draft pick means we get a draft pick and only have to pay a portion of his salary.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:41 AM
On the way back from Charleston last night, Sage Rosenhuas [former NFL qb] was a guest on one of the radio shows. He was talking about a variety of topics and he came across as a really smart guy.

He was talking about Osweiler and he brought up a good point. He said that Osweiler's offense under Kubiak was fairly easy for a qb to digest and that O'Brien's offense in Houston [which he brought from NE] was really complex and asked a lot more from the QB than the one he ran in Denver.

He went on to say that most qbs would struggle w/that transition during their first year.

So, there's that.....
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:42 AM
Because a team willing to pay part of his salary AND give us a draft pick means we get a draft pick and only have to pay a portion of his salary.

I'm fine with that too but if we can't trade him and will end up paying him anyways then we might as well kick the tires a bit. It's not like we have a genuine starter at QB atm.
Posted By: homer_brown Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:43 AM
That's a very interesting point. what if the browns could get an average QB and a second round pick out of the deal?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:43 AM

Why? It was a brilliant move.
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:43 AM
I mean you never know we might luck out and something crazy good comes from it. I mean how outrageous it would be if they paid us to take him and then Hue goes and makes him into something special? That would just tickle me to death for a long time to come.

I don't expect it mind you but gosh it would just be fun =)
Posted By: homer_brown Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:45 AM
I mean you never know we might luck out and something crazy good comes from it. I mean how outrageous it would be if they paid us to take him and then Hue goes and makes him into something special? That would just tickle me to death for a long time to come.

I don't expect it mind you but gosh it would just be fun =)

Just think if he is average. it'd be like having Manning here.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:48 AM
Quote:

We traded a compensatory 4th.

That's almost a 5th..
Posted By: Dave Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:50 AM
Elway was reportedly pretty chafed that they lost Osweiler to Houston last year. Seeing as how they are offering Siemien around and obviously don't consider him to be their future, why not offer Osweiler back to the Broncos for a 2017 or 2018 3rd rounder? The Browns have already said they'll eat half of Osweiler's $16M 2017 salary, which they could offset by cutting Griffin, and they'd have another pick to offer for JG. Trade this years #33, along with a 2018 2nd round pick, and the Broncos 3rd for JG.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:52 AM
I can not believe we took on that contract without getting JJ Watt in the deal. Mr. and Mrs. Haslem and the Harvard boys just want to make their money and couldn't care less about winning.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:53 AM
Can we make this a thing?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:54 AM
I was probably as mad about them letting Schwartz go last year, but that was last year. There's nothing we can do about that. KC isn't going to just give him back to us.

However, the FO is stepping up and making some very good moves this year, and this year is what matters.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:55 AM
Always classy.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 01:11 AM
I won't say a good move, but you know, sometimes it is what it is my man.

He is a local troll, IMO. He just takes every stance against what the team is doing.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 01:41 AM
The first thing that came to mind when this went down was leverage for Garoppolo. They are making great moves to improve. If we get Jimmy I will be very excited for the season. It would be the first time in many moons.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 01:46 AM
when i first saw the trade, i thought it said we traded a 2nd rounder for Brock ... and I about threw my tv out of the window
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 01:50 AM
A coupla things I'd like to bring up here,some may have already been mentioned it's difficult to keep track.
First,they can't just cut Oswieler.It would violate league rules and the CBA.As a lawyer Sashi would know this.
Trading him and taking on part of his salary would be a grey area and I don't believe the Browns want to push Goodell.
Osweiler stunk in Houston.O'Brian attemps to run that quick twitch NE O,which changes from week to week.An impossibility for an inexperienced QB to pick up in short time.
He's a big guy with a big arm.Something Hue has history with.
This also allows them the opportunity to draft one of second tier QBs,maybe Peterman or Mahomes,giving whichever onw the time to devolpe.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 01:57 AM
I agree, but let's see if someone wants to trade for him...

:-)

And then go into the season with RG3 and Kessler only? Right now I think it's a wash between RG3 and Brock. Between the two we might get through a season. Dump Brock and we have RG3 and nothing much behind him. So unless Belichick changes his mind, when we dump Brock we still have a big time QB problem.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 01:59 AM
I think we're getting a QB in the draft. Don't know where, but we will: unless we get J-Grappy from NE.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:01 AM
J-Grappy. LMAO Lamp.

Let's not go w/that nickname.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:01 AM
I agree, it's not the best. smile
Posted By: jaybird Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:02 AM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I think we're getting a QB in the draft. Don't know where, but we will: unless we get J-Grappy from NE.

Even getting jimmy I think y still need to draft a qb.... I think you should always look for a qb in a draft...
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:06 AM
Originally Posted By: bonefish
The first thing that came to mind when this went down was leverage for Garoppolo. They are making great moves to improve. If we get Jimmy I will be very excited for the season. It would be the first time in many moons.

I seriously doubt we get Garoppolo. Giving up the first pick in the draft and a #1 next year for a guy that has started only a few games.... we very well could end up regretting that. How many QB's has BB traded or let go that were supposedly great because they studied under Brady and then flopped big time on another team? I'm cool with keeping RG3 and Brock, then drafting QB at the top of the 2nd or even later in the draft and see what we have. Next year's QB crop is supposedly far superior to this years QB's and we are going to have a lot of ammo to make a move to get one if Brock/RG3/or someone else doesn't step up and grab the job.
Posted By: MrTed Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:09 AM
I'm not going to read through 8 pages of opinions on this thread, but I remember when this guy was getting drafted someone posted the youtube link to his bloopers in college, then someone posted a link to the Benny Hill sketch music and suggested watching the video with that back ground music.

But hey, we got him and who knows how he'll turn out and a pick for it as well?

Not a bad deal.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:12 AM
J-Grappy. LMAO Lamp.

Let's not go w/that nickname.

It's entirely possible he becomes J Crappy. He is not a proven QB by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps he is a great QB. If so I really doubt Bill trades him. The pattern though is he drafts a guy, then trades him and the guy sucks elsewhere. I am VERY nervous about trading the entire farm for a NE backup..... If we do then I'll hope we did the right thing but I'm not going to be ticked if we don't pull that trigger. I'm not convinced that Brock CAN'T play. I think that is still an unknown.... We shall see....
Posted By: MrTed Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I seriously doubt we get Garoppolo. Giving up the first pick in the draft and a #1 next year for a guy that has started only a few games.... we very well could end up regretting that. How many QB's has BB traded or let go that were supposedly great because they studied under Brady and then flopped big time on another team? I'm cool with keeping RG3 and Brock, then drafting QB at the top of the 2nd or even later in the draft and see what we have. Next year's QB crop is supposedly far superior to this years QB's and we are going to have a lot of ammo to make a move to get one if Brock/RG3/or someone else doesn't step up and grab the job.

I don't think we should take one this year. Either one of these guys will do just fine behind the line we'll have (so long as they're healthy at the start of the season and stay that way), while we watch for who's declaring for the draft next year.

Still wish we could get Cardale Jones.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:23 AM

If this is true (and it probably isn't). Then the Patriots really, really don't want to trade Garoppolo.

If it's MKC, I assume she's wrong. She blocked me for telling her an article from the Onion was more credible than her reports.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:25 AM
This gave me a chuckle....

Will Brinson Verified account
@WillBrinson

If Browns get 2 picks for holding Brock Osweiler’s contract for 30 mins, 9 months from now there’ll be 10,000 kids in Cleveland named Sashi.

Tweet
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:28 AM
Hue is supposed to be a QB whisperer. He got a lot out of Dalton in the Nati, so who's to say Brock couldn't resurge. Elway wanted him back last year so he had the confidence of Elway at least somewhat. Perhaps the Texans O just didn't fit his skill set. He could end up playing well for us. Or he could suck and sit on the bench all year. Either way I agree we should be looking to draft a QB next year....
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:37 AM
Just got home from work....8 pages so far and I have not read any. I am sure this has all been discussed but, the more I read the more I see him as a pawn for bigger plans. Use that #2 with another pick (12?) for Jimmy G. Or, use it as leverage to move up in this draft or the 2018. Either way....I don't think Ostweiler is the goal. He is simply the means to achieve the goal.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:39 AM
Holy crap! I've read every post and I thought Brock was our new QB!!

Just kidding man. wink
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:52 AM
well played, Sashi. Well played. :slowclap:
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 03:11 AM
Barnwell on the trade:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18865828/making-sense-unprecedented-brock-osweiler-trade-nfl

(If you missed my earlier post, Bill Barnwell said we should do this trade in December.)
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 03:26 AM
Barnwell on the trade:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18865828/making-sense-unprecedented-brock-osweiler-trade-nfl

(If you missed my earlier post, Bill Barnwell said we should do this trade in December.)

I didn't even know that the NFL would even consider to veto this trade.

What's wrong with dumping salary for a pick? He's still getting paid.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 03:27 AM
Barnwell on the trade:

I didn't even know that the NFL would even consider to veto this trade.

What's wrong with dumping salary for a pick? He's still getting paid.

Because they have rules about buying draft picks. What we did is not technically buying a draft pick, but everyone knows what we did.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 03:32 AM
Works for me
Posted By: WebsterSlaughter Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 04:22 AM
I like this.

Hopefully they will keep him. He is clearly a stop gap. However, he is an average stop gap. This is a lot more than can be said for any other QB currently on the Browns roster.

With the additions that they have made on the offensive line, they have pretty much put themselves in a position to use ALL of their picks on best available talent.

THIS FRICKING RULES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why?????????

BECAUSE THEY DONT HAVE ANY TALENT !!!!!!!!!!!

Having 11 picks to use SPECIFICALLY on acquiring best available talent is simply fantastic.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 04:40 AM
Originally Posted By: WebsterSlaughter
Hopefully they will keep him. He is clearly a stop gap. However, he is an average stop gap. This is a lot more than can be said for any other QB currently on the Browns roster.

Brock Osweiler was one of the worst QBs in league history last year. There are probably fifty QBs I would take over him.

This sounds like a fun exercise (off the top of my head):

Rodgers, Hundley, Stafford, Bradford, Taylor, Brady, Garoppolo, Tannehill, Moore, Mariota, Bortles, Luck, Savage, Roethlisberger, Dalton, Flacco, Kessler, Palmer, Wilson, Kaepernick, Goff, Manning, Wentz, Cousins, McCoy, Romo, Prescott, Ryan, Newton, Winston, Brees, Rivers, Lynch, Carr, Smith, Cutler, and Hoyer.

That's 37 guys. I am sure I could come up with thirteen more guys if I put a little thought into (and I'm sure I missed some obvious ones).

Osweiler is really, really bad. He refuses to throw down field (his average pass only went 3.5 yards in the air and this is with Hopkins and Fuller on his team). There are other QBs who throw similarly short passes (Manning and Stafford for example), but they don't turn over the ball at the same rate as Osweiler. He had 16 INTs in 15 games. That's straight up terrible (and I'm guessing his adjusted interception rate will only be worse, but I don't have access to that information right now).
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 05:30 AM
How much of Osweiler did you watch in 2016? I kind of shared your opinion initially, but I decided to go back and watch some film on Brock. From what I saw (3 of those every pass videos of NFL games [OAK, CHI, DEN], 2 college games [USC and Utah] on draftbreakdown, 1 highlights, and 1 lowlights) he seemed to get victimized by a lot of drops. I don't know if he doesn't throw a "catchable ball", but I'm of the opinion if it hits a receiver's hands he should catch it.

Brock does throw a pretty deep ball and moves well in the pocket. He definitely has flaws, but I think what he does well matches with Hue pretty well. We're on the hook for his full salary this year, so unless someone offers something crazy to take him we might as well take a look at him. It's not like we have any world beaters at the position.

We could trade for Jimmy G, but the price they are talking about is ridiculous now. More than 2 firsts? No thanks. I think BB heard the why would they trade him if he was any good talk and decided to "bluff by going all in." I'm not saying Jimmy G is a bad QB, but BB has a great poker face. I'm not sure if Jimmy G is BB sitting on pocket aces or he's hoping to hit the flush on the river.
Posted By: DeaconDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 05:39 AM
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

We could trade for Jimmy G, but the price they are talking about is ridiculous now. More than 2 firsts? No thanks. I think BB heard the why would they trade him if he was any good talk and decided to "bluff by going all in." I'm not saying Jimmy G is a bad QB, but BB has a great poker face. I'm not sure if Jimmy G is BB sitting on pocket aces or he's hoping to hit the flush on the river.

You're right about one thing Grimm, BB is holding on to his card. I doubt he will do anything until it gets close to draft day or during the draft. He is setting the market to maximize the potential trade in his favor. The Browns are doing the same, setting the board with the amassed draft picks. We can deal if we want to. But the front office should not give up the farm for JG.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 05:40 AM
Teams don't bench their $37 million quarterback because of drops. It also came out the Osweiler had problems with the Texans' coaching staff towards the end of the season.

I watched Osweiler only when he was on TV. He was bad.
Posted By: edromeo Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 09:12 AM
I don't think the Browns FO big plan is to spend multiple assests to acquire 1 player. It seems completely counter to their other moves.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 10:05 AM
Originally Posted By: edromeo
I don't think the Browns FO big plan is to spend multiple assests to acquire 1 player. It seems completely counter to their other moves.

I can't imagine that either. Not a JG fan. I'm not trading multiple seconds ( or anything like that) for a guy who's not exactly a proven commodity.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 10:18 AM
Jimmy Garoppolo says goodbye to Boston in instagram post

In an instagram post early Friday morning, New England Patriots quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo said a goodbye to the city of Boston.

“So grateful for my time in New England. Peace out Boston,” the message on Garoppolo’s verified instagram account read.

The clear indication is that Garoppolo won’t be a Patriots quarterback much longer. Next stop Cleveland?

The Browns have been furiously pushing for a trade of Garoppolo in recent weeks. The Patriots have been hesitant to consider moving the backup to Tom Brady and possibly future starter in New England in the post-Brady era. Nevertheless, the Browns have continued to express their interest in trading for Garoppolo despite his making just two total starts in three seasons in New England.

With Cleveland acquiring an additional 2018 second-round pick from Houston in exchange for being a vehicle for the Texans salary dump of quarterback Brock Osweiler, the Browns may finally have sufficient draft capital to coax the Patriots into accepting a trade. With 11 draft picks stockpiled in each of the next two drafts, if Cleveland doesn’t have enough picks to get a deal done no one does.

Garoppolo’s instragram post obviously hints he’ll be playing elsewhere in 2017. Where that would be is still unknown but Cleveland is the most likely destination.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...instagram-post/
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 10:22 AM
come to papa jimmy!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 10:24 AM
uh oh
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 10:43 AM
Twitter hack...
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 10:44 AM
Grossi is reporting it is a hoax/prank.
Posted By: ddubia Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 11:13 AM
Jimmy Garoppolo Instagram goodbye appears to be a hoax

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 10, 2017, 5:45 AM EST

AP
For about an hour on early Friday morning, social media was abuzz with an apparent goodbye to New England from Patriots backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. Did Garoppolo’s post mean he had been traded?

Apparently not. According to multiple reports, people close to Garoppolo say he’s not on Instagram at 4 a.m., and the post appears to be a hoax.

Garoppolo has been the subject of a great deal of trade scrutiny, with the Browns as the team most likely to acquire him. It’s true that the Browns, from all accounts, are high on Garoppolo. And it’s true that the Browns have the draft pick ammunition to go after him in a blockbuster trade.

But multiple reports say the Patriots have no plans to trade Garoppolo and would rather have him on the roster as insurance in case Tom Brady gets hurt or begins to show signs of age. Garoppolo becomes a free agent next year and won’t be Brady’s backup forever, but that’s what he remains for now, Instagram posts or not.

NBC/PFT
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 11:16 AM
Now that we have Brock, why do we need Brock II (JG)?

It would be absurd to help Texas out of the hole and dig a bigger for us, but we never know, its the Browns afterall.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 11:31 AM
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Now that we have Brock, why do we need Brock II (JG)?

It would be absurd to help Texas out of the hole and dig a bigger for us, but we never know, its the Browns afterall.

So your assessment is slow footed and slow release Brock is the same player as faster footed and quick release JG. . . . I disagree.

And while many lauded the Browns creative use of cap space to their advantage, your saying "same old dysfunctional Browns" .... Again I disagree.
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:39 PM
Honestly, we should probably keep Brock. We are already on the hook for his salary anyways, so whats the harm?

We draft Trubisky, sit him behind Brock for a year...if Brock works out, great, if not, we move on from Brock and we atleast gave out 1st rder a year to sit.

Contrary to popular belief, there is some potential is Osweiler. He played very well in Denver back in 2015. I don't think Houston was a good fit for him, and sometimes things just don't click.

Making an opinion of Brock soley on his performance in Houston is simply unfair, as the system in Denver showed Brock could play very well in the right environment.

We have nothing to lose giving Brock a shot, infact, Brock has atleast proven he can play at a high level, Jimmy G hasn't even played 3 games...the only thing Jimmy G has proven is he can get hurt.

The Browns should keep Osweiler, and take Trubisky in the draft...one of these two guys is probably the QB were after. It could be Brock, you just never know...we may be the glove his hands has been looking for since he left Denver.

im just not so quick to give up on a guy, i saw a talented viable NFL starter in Brock in Denver, and so did Elway...we have nothing to lose kicking the tires for a year to see if he fits here. Take Trubisky, if Brock don't pan out, we will have Tribisky who will have had a chance to learn. its a win-win for us.
Posted By: Swish Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:41 PM
Brock wouldn't last 3 games before we ALL would start calling for his head.

Let's not waste our time.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:41 PM
Was this an exercise in saying one thing in 7 different ways?
Posted By: Dave Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:45 PM

I have this image of John and Yoko singing "All we are saying is give Brock a chance.".
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:47 PM

Yes it most certainly was tongue

Honestly though, we have nothing to lose.

Draft Mitch

Kick the tires on Brock for a year. If it works, great, if not we lose nothing.

If Brock goes back to his 2015 form, the fans most certainly will not be calling for his head.
Posted By: drobs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:50 PM
We could recoup part of the $16m if he agrees a restructure on a trade, I believe from reading this and other places, so there is merit in assessing that avenue if that is the case. There is also the small matter of compensation - maybe a latter round pick?
Posted By: eotab Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:50 PM
On the way back from Charleston last night, Sage Rosenhuas [former NFL qb] was a guest on one of the radio shows. He was talking about a variety of topics and he came across as a really smart guy.

He was talking about Osweiler and he brought up a good point. He said that Osweiler's offense under Kubiak was fairly easy for a qb to digest and that O'Brien's offense in Houston [which he brought from NE] was really complex and asked a lot more from the QB than the one he ran in Denver.

He went on to say that most qbs would struggle w/that transition during their first year.

So, there's that.....

Thanks for sharing...good points but I just hate his delivery...lol laugh

It would be amazing if we could fix that a bit and he proves to be that Franchise QB... I expect us to trade him to Denver if they fail to get ROMO.

But you never know how the kid develops with our Offense.

jmho
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 12:57 PM
Yeah, his delivery makes me cringe. It's like he is playing darts at the local pub on a Tuesday night.
Posted By: eotab Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 01:01 PM
He's what 6'8"??? not knowing the stats, cfr need you to do your thing, but I could have sworn he got a lot of balls knocked down from delivering the ball shoulder high or lower.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 01:01 PM
A guy like Hugh would believe himself capable of fixing him. I'm not ready to say they'll ditch him and also think it premature, desperate and presumptuous to think we're for sure the JG sweepstakes winner...
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:24 PM
Originally Posted By: drobs
We could recoup part of the $16m if he agrees a restructure on a trade, I believe from reading this and other places, so there is merit in assessing that avenue if that is the case. There is also the small matter of compensation - maybe a latter round pick?

Damned right. Let's get a 6th round pick for him. Then if he does work out somewhere we can rest easy knowing Kessler is our QB and we have a 6th round pick on the books. I will laugh my ass off if we trade him for a 6th and he works out somewhere else. While we watch Kessler lead us to 2-14. That would be funny.

Right now, Brock is the best QB on our roster. Like him or not he took the Broncos to the playoffs and he played pretty well doing so. Unless we give up the #1 pick overall and probably a 1st next year NE isn't going to trade JG. So why the hell would we give up SO much for a QB that has played so little? JG might suck like every other QB that has sat behind Brady and then went elsewhere. But sure let's give up the sun, the moon, and stars for the guy. LMAO
Posted By: drobs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:30 PM
Was just outlining options dude. If Hue and the staff feel he is the answer then I'd expect him to stay. I have no feeling either way as I don't know him or his play well enough to comment.

And we didn't give up anything bar cap space - we also picked up a 2nd round pick.

I think it was a smart deal. What happens to Brock now is in the hands of our coaches. My opinion matters nought.
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:36 PM

So, there's that.....

Thanks for sharing...good points but I just hate his delivery...lol laugh

It would be amazing if we could fix that a bit and he proves to be that Franchise QB... I expect us to trade him to Denver if they fail to get ROMO.

But you never know how the kid develops with our Offense.

jmho

I think Brock has a lot of upside. Elway was very high on him, and he did play very well in Denver.

This could end up being a huge gaff on part of the Houston Texans.

From a talent perspective, Brock is good enough to win with, if he can pick up our offense...we could do some good things.

i wouldn't be so keen on dismissing him, i think we should def kick the tires and see what he has.
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:39 PM
He only interests me because his body frame might stay in one piece and last an entire season. That alone gives me a reason to at least be curious to see what Hue could do with him.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:43 PM
Serious question - any idea why he was somewhat successful in Denver as opposed to in Houston? I have no idea.
Posted By: Swish Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:45 PM
Watching some of NFL network guys, it's because Kubiak ran a QB friendly system, while bill obrien brought NE's complicated system and Brock couldn't adapt.
Posted By: ddubia Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:46 PM

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:46 PM
Serious question - any idea why he was somewhat successful in Denver as opposed to in Houston? I have no idea.

Was he successful in Denver or did they just tell him not to screw it up and not let him do anything (like they did with Manning)?
Posted By: edromeo Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 02:49 PM
Different system. Different coaching. Transition from Denver to Houston on personal level. Different locker room dynamics and expectations.

I have no idea what the Browns plans are for Brock.
The Texans and the Browns are in very different places as regimes. The Texans are in win now mode and don't have the time/patience to develop a QB.

It's ironic to me that Brock is a cautionary tale for signing a productive QB with a limited sample size from another team and expecting that same productivity to carry over. And at the same time the Browns are benefiting via gaining a 2nd round draft pick as a result of that situation failing the media expected the same Browns to turn around and put themselves in the same situation they benefited from.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 04:07 PM
If the Browns traded 16 mil in cap space for a 2nd round pick that was stupid. Now if the Browns traded 16 mil in cap space for a solid backup maybe a spot starter and a 2nd round then that is pretty damn good.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 04:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
If the Browns traded 16 mil in cap space for a 2nd round pick that was stupid.

Why ?

It's extremely likely the Browns will STILL have cap space at the start of the year, so we won't be limiting what the team can do. If we did jettison Brock, I do not believe the impact to next year's cap space is going to be significant.

If the owner is willing to sign off on that - 2nd round pick for a cost of $16 million - why is that stupid?
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 04:15 PM

Denvers #1 defense was touted over and over around here.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 04:17 PM
you can sign a solid OL or good slot corner for 8 mil a year. If we paid 16 mil for a fart in the wind bottom end 2nd rounder it was pretty freaking stupid.

hell 16 mil we could have rented alshon for a year.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 04:18 PM
Tag price on pryor vs likely a #60 overall pick
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 04:30 PM
you can sign a solid OL or good slot corner for 8 mil a year. If we paid 16 mil for a fart in the wind bottom end 2nd rounder it was pretty freaking stupid.

And they still can if they want to. It's not like we spent all $100 Mill Plus of cap space. Even with Brock plus the other signings on the team Spotrac shows we still have $77 mill left in cap space.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 04:34 PM
And another $8 mil. when we cut RGIII ... thumbsup
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 04:41 PM
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
A guy like Hugh would believe himself capable of fixing him. I'm not ready to say they'll ditch him and also think it premature, desperate and presumptuous to think we're for sure the JG sweepstakes winner...

Were you "just clicking?" Because I have no idea how this post relates to what I said about Osweiler in Denver and Houston, as well as his delivery????????

But, while we are at it.............who is saying we are "for sure the JG sweepstakes winner?"

And don't you think words like "desperate" are a bit dramatic? brownie
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 05:18 PM

But people keep calling it brilliant? lol

A second round pick has a 50/50 shot at being a starter after four years.

So you mean you think it's dumb to spend 16 mil. on a draft pick that only has a 50% chance of making it in the NFL?

Say it ain't so?
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 05:28 PM

But people keep calling it brilliant? lol

A second round pick has a 50/50 shot at being a starter after four years.

So you mean you think it's dumb to spend 16 mil. on a draft pick that only has a 50% chance of making it in the NFL?

Say it ain't so?

That rational only stacks up when a team is having to manage it's salary cap because of rising costs or signing players and not having the space.

Having enough salary cap space that you can eat $16 million and still not be restricted in anything you want to do contractually with free agents etc - and getting a 2nd round pick for it ... to me that's smart if expensive.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 05:31 PM
RGIII gone

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/10/browns-boot-quarterback-robert-griffin-iii/

edit: or soon to be per the article
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 05:33 PM

Looks like Brock may hang out a while.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 05:33 PM
ed will be devastated.
Posted By: bleednbrown Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 05:40 PM
I sure hope this doesn't lead to using the #1 pick on a QB.
I'm afraid with all the OL help in FA, and now this were going to blow this draft with a #1 QB. We need Garrett at #1.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 05:53 PM

The more I think about this, the more it makes sense to me, though I bet we add in another 2nd-4th rounder.

*He's shown he can be a decent QB.
*Players have tended to thrive under Belichick, and if BO is required to play, BB is smart enough to "dumb" the offense down to have BO thrive (or be serviceable)
*NE is worried that Jacoby isn't ready, this either gives them time with a viable backup for a year, or with a contract renegotiation, gives them a viable backup for a few years.
*a free backup QB for a year plus 2 second rounders has to be be equivalent to the 12th overall (3 #50 overall picks = #12 overall). The extra pick I mentioned makes it even a better deal for NE, ad we get to keep our first rounders.
*The release of RGIII tells me that there's likely something that has happened or will happen that we're not aware of, and I'm guessing it is not that we're keeping BO
*The Jimmy G Instagram thing makes me wonder if something has been done already (despite the hack comments made)

I'm likely reading into something that isn't there, but it makes sense to my crazy mind.

Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 05:54 PM
ed will be devastated.

he may be moving on to another board, if RG3 gets picked up
Posted By: bonefish Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 06:04 PM

His delivery yikes.

When your elbow drops below your shoulder it is a recipe for inaccuracy.

Hard to believe that he got that contract. Shows how desperate teams are for a quarterback.

At the same time he has some value. There were times in Denver that he played ok.

He could be an ok backup.
Posted By: eotab Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/10/17 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

Perfect...just an FYI...Texans last year had the #1 Defense.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 12:50 AM

I think it is all about next years QB class. We go all in next year.
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 12:51 AM
I think they are honestly trying to get a QB but what can you do when there isn't one to be had?
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 12:56 AM
Good point. We may be content to just go with Cody next year with Hogan and someone we draft in the later rounds or a vet back-up. With our new O-line acquisitions we may run a lot more than we pass. Remains to be seen.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 02:21 AM
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

Perfect...just an FYI...Texans last year had the #1 Defense.

It was the difference between Kubiaks and obriens offenses... In Denver he didn't have to think... It was a simple offense that he had to do exactly what Gary wanted....in Houston he had to think and make a lot more reads and decisions... He can't think quickly... His mechanics are not great.... And didn't have much leadership quality....

I watched him up close all season... He has some physical skills but last year he was clearly the worst QB in the league... If he played decently Houston could have beaten NE
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 02:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Good point. We may be content to just go with Cody next year with Hogan and someone we draft in the later rounds or a vet back-up. With our new O-line acquisitions we may run a lot more than we pass. Remains to be seen.

Well, if we go with Kessler then that gives us a sure top five pick next year and very likely the first overall so we would be set to take a QB in next years draft. Of course, who knows if this FO and coaching staff can survive another disaster of a season? Is Haslam going to have patience for a 2 or 3 win season? We don't have the D OR the running game to win many with Kessler at QB. Certainly not in the modern track meet era. Unless we draft a STUD running back and our D jumps to top ten.... I don't see that happening.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 03:05 AM
At this moment, Brock is the best QB on our roster by a decent amount. That isn't saying much but unless they draft a QB in the first or trade for one Brock with all his faults is the best chance we have at winning a few games.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 10:58 AM
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I have seen where we are trying to trade him for a future pick and pick up around half of his salary. That makes some sense.

I have seen where we are simply going to cut him over the next few weeks. That doesn't make any sense. I'd at least ride him in to camp and see how he fits in to Hue's O.

QB's are a funny breed. A change of scenery is sometimes all it takes.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 11:57 AM
I'd rather start Brock than anyone we have currently.

That sounds terrible.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 12:51 PM
I'd rather start Brock than anyone we have currently.

That sounds terrible.

I'd at least like to see how Kessler matches up. Kessler was a rookie last year. 3rd round rookie. Honestly, he didn't look that bad for what he was.

It'll be interesting to see if we see any improvement and how much. But I do think he's a young guy who goes about his business, and he will be determined to try and be the starter no matter who we get to play QB.

That's the way he went about it at USC and he was a starter for 3 years. So don't expect Kessler to go easily without a fight, I just don't think he's that type of guy.

He might surprise some folks
Posted By: Dave Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 02:02 PM
Just for S's & G's I went over to the Broncos' fan forums to see if there was any buzz about possibly getting Osweiler back ... nope, nothing. You'd think there might be some interest after his stretch run to the playoffs there in 2015, especially with Siemien coming off shoulder surgery and Paxton Lynch being not ready to start. I'm still hoping we can trade Osweiler for additional ammo for Jimmy. Broncos and Jets seem like decent possible trade partners.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 02:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I have seen where we are trying to trade him for a future pick and pick up around half of his salary. That makes some sense.

I have seen where we are simply going to cut him over the next few weeks. That doesn't make any sense. I'd at least ride him in to camp and see how he fits in to Hue's O.

QB's are a funny breed. A change of scenery is sometimes all it takes.

I fully believe we have him on the market, but you're right, it would be stupid to just cut him. Right now he's a $16M asset. He also played for a team with a crappy O-line that made it to the second round of the playoffs. If Hue's able improve his throwing mechanics, there's no reason to not at least take him into camp if you don't find a suitor for a trade. If you've been looking for a QB with AFCN measurables, Brock is a pretty good example. The question is, can he play, or was his "decent year" in Denver an aberration?
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 02:13 PM
I have been thinking about this since the trade was made. I do not believe the FO has any future plans for Brock Osweiler when the trade happened. But, Hue Jackson's offense wants to get the ball down the field. Brock may be best suited for that job than any QB they currently have an opportunity to take. His arm is better than Kessler, Trubisky, and Watson. He also has more experience than all 3. Jimmy Garrapolo seems to be the FO preferred target and I agree but he may or may not be available.

My own personal preference at QB is Jimmy Garrapolo or next years top QB's Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold. But Jimmy Garrapolo might never be available and the Browns might not ever be in position for Rosen or Darnold.

Maybe Brock excels in Hue's scheme. He is a big pocket passer with a big arm. Career stats show he has thrown 26 TD's to 22 INT's. A 59.9 career completion %, 5,083 yards for a career QB rating 77.4. He was over 80$ until last season with the Texans. He might have just not been a fit for the Texans.

If they cannot get Jimmy Garrapolo just play Brock Osweiler. If he excels in Hue's offense we have our QB. If he does not we cut Brock at no cost and make a play next year for Jimmy Garrapolo, Josh Rosen, or Sam Darnold.

Spend pick #1, #12, #33, #52, and #65 on building the defense and grabbing at least one play maker on offense to replace the departed Terrelle Pryor.

Maybe something like this.

1a. Myles Garrett - DE
1b. Jabrili Peppers - SS
2a. Gareon Conley - CB
2b. Chris Godwin - WR
3. Budda Baker - FS
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 02:42 PM
Quote:
He also played for a team with a crappy O-line that made it to the second round of the playoffs.

I think that is a bit misleading. LOL
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 06:55 PM
Browns shopping Brock Osweiler and a 5th for a 3rd and will cut him if they can't trade him

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde..._osweiler.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- For all of those who wonder what Hue Jackson, noted quarterback whisperer, will get out of his new $16 million quarterback Brock Osweiler, the answer is nothing.

Osweiler, 26, is not in the Browns' quarterback plans and he'll be gone before long, either in a trade or release, sources tell cleveland.com.

The Browns have been shopping Osweiler since almost the minute they acquired him Thursday in a trade with the Texans, along with a 2018 second-round pick and a 2017 sixth-rounder (188). In exchange, the Browns gave up their compensatory pick in 2017, No. 142 overall, and took Osweiler's $16 million guaranteed contract off the Texans' books.

It was always all about the pick, and never about the quarterback.

The Browns have been offering Osweiler to teams for about a third-round pick, and are willing to give back a fifth-rounder, multiple league sources tell cleveland.com. The Browns would also eat a portion of Osweiler's $16 million contract, as much as half, sources say.

If the Browns can pull off such a deal -- a second-round pick for $8 million -- it will have been a smart, Moneyball move. As it is, they've spent $16 million to move up from a late fourth-rounder to a mid- to late-second rounder, a hefty sum for such a climb.

The Texans, who are looking to upgrade their quarterback position this year, went 9-7 last year and have the No. 57 overall pick in the second round. The pick next year will likely be somewhere in that neighborhood.

Several NFL personnel executives say they doubt anyone will give the Browns a third-round pick for Osweiler and pay him $8 million a year. If that could've been done, the Texans would've done it, they say.

The more likely scenario for the Browns is that they cut Osweiler and someone signs him for about $4 million a year. With offset language in his contract, that would reduce the price of the move up to somewhere between 33 and 64 to about $12 million.

The Browns also cut Robert Griffin III in the aftermath of the trade to offset the cost of the pick. The move saved them $6 million in base salary and almost $7 million in cap space for 2017.

The Browns planned to keep Griffin until they acquired another veteran quarterback, but the pricetag of the pick precluded that.

While the Browns were willing to pay $16 million for an unknown commodity, they let their homegrown receiver Terrelle Pryor walk out the door instead of overpaying to keep him. The jury will be out until the second-round pick becomes a player.

The Browns will still make a run at Patriots backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, league sources say, and they might use this 2018 second-rounder, or one of their other two second-rounders next year, as a part of a package to try to get the Patriots to part with their beloved backup.

But they'll have to knock the Patriots' socks off, and I doubt they'll be willing to surrender what it would take. I've been told New England, who keeps insisting they won't trade him, would want the Browns No. 1 pick and more -- as much as a first-rounder next year.

Not only would the Browns not give up two first-rounders, they won't part with this year's top pick, which will be used on Myles Garrett, unless something drastic happens between now and the draft.

The Browns can also use one of the second-rounders to move up from No. 12 if their favorite quarterback is on the board in the top 10. To this point, the Browns have favored Mitchell Trubisky over Deshaun Watson, but Watson closed the gap some with a sensational combine, and still has two more chances to impress the Browns in a private workout and a visit to Cleveland.

One or both of them might fall to the Browns at No. 12, but if one goes off the board in the top six, the Browns have the ammunition to move up and grab the other.

As for Osweiler, he doesn't fit Jackson's criteria for his franchise quarterback: arm talent, processing speed and face-of-the-franchise ability. He finished 27th in completion percentage last season and was tied for 25th with 16 interceptions. He was benched for the final two games despite the fact the Texans signed him to a four-year, $72 million, including $37 million guaranteed.

The Browns currently have Osweiler, Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan on their roster. Soon, Osweiler will be gone, and one or two new names will be added to the list.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 07:06 PM
I read an article that opined that Osweiler played well in Denver, in no small part to the overall simplicity of the offense. He then went to Houston, and struggled trying to understand/run O'Brien's far more complicated offense.

I do think that Hue is able to simplify things for his QBs. That could bode well for a guy like Osweiler. I'm not saying that he'll be the guy, but if we do start out with him, Hue could be the right coach to develop the guy. He's still pretty young, so who knows? He's also been durable, and that's been a problem for us.

I cannot see us just cutting him, at least before the draft, and probably well into training camp. I think that he's, at the very least, a chip, and we'll see if he becomes anything more, either for us, or as a trade piece.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 07:17 PM
I read an article that opined that Osweiler played well in Denver, in no small part to the overall simplicity of the offense. He then went to Houston, and struggled trying to understand/run O'Brien's far more complicated offense.

I do think that Hue is able to simplify things for his QBs. That could bode well for a guy like Osweiler. I'm not saying that he'll be the guy, but if we do start out with him, Hue could be the right coach to develop the guy. He's still pretty young, so who knows? He's also been durable, and that's been a problem for us.

I cannot see us just cutting him, at least before the draft, and probably well into training camp. I think that he's, at the very least, a chip, and we'll see if he becomes anything more, either for us, or as a trade piece.

Terry Pluto thinks the signing of Osweiler was more than jut for a draft pick even though that was the main reason they made the pick.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf...art_river_index
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 08:37 PM
"The more likely scenario for the Browns is that they cut Osweiler and someone signs him for about $4 million a year. With offset language in his contract, that would reduce the price of the move up to somewhere between 33 and 64 to about $12 million."

That would be against league rules and would cost the Browns dearly in cash and future draft picks.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 08:56 PM
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
"The more likely scenario for the Browns is that they cut Osweiler and someone signs him for about $4 million a year. With offset language in his contract, that would reduce the price of the move up to somewhere between 33 and 64 to about $12 million."

That would be against league rules and would cost the Browns dearly in cash and future draft picks.

I do not think the Browns will cut Osweiler until after the 2017 season. They will either trade him of he will be on the roster.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 09:00 PM

The league already approved the trade. Osweiler is under contract with the Cleveland Browns and they can what they want with the contract.

He's never going to play a down.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 11:47 PM

The league already approved the trade. Osweiler is under contract with the Cleveland Browns and they can what they want with the contract.

He's never going to play a down.

You may be surprised.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 11:49 PM
Yeah. Hue might meet the kid and like him or something. I don't think we'll cut him very early on.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 11:54 PM
A lot can happen between now and game #1. But as of now, BO may be our best starter. A lot depends on Hue and his ability to plan to his strengths.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 11:55 PM
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Yeah. Hue might meet the kid and like him or something. I don't think we'll cut him very early on.

At this point he is an asset. If the FO can swing the right trade he will be traded. If not they will keep him thru the 2017 season and depending on if they can swing the trade for Garrapolo or if they can get the right QB to fall to them at 12, he may start here.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 11:56 PM

There's no need for us to just cut him anytime soon.

Why? It won't save s any money. He's not really taking anyone's roster spot. He could participate in the off-season program, and see if Hue is interested in coaching him. Even if he doesn't, it costs us nothing to keep him, let him play a little in the preseason, and maybe catch the eye of a team in need of a staring QB, maybe following an injury on their team.

We gain nothing by releasing him now, and we gain nothing by allowing people to think that we're going to cut him any time soon.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/11/17 11:58 PM
Where would Hue's offense rank in difficulty on a scale of Denver to Houston/NE?
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 12:00 AM
Where would Hue's offense rank in difficulty on a scale of Denver to Houston/NE?

Hue likes to throw the ball down the field which is in Osweiler's wheel house. What Hue would not like is the turnovers.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 12:19 AM

Hue has been able to simplify his offense, even to a large degree, when needed. I think that Osweiler might, and I emphasize might, be able to function in Hue's offense.

This is the one real advantage a guy like Garappolo has, in that I believe that he has mastered the mental side of a very complex offense in New England, and should be able to handle any offense another team would throw at him.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 12:38 AM
Keeping Osweiler on the team takes reps away from Kessler, who the team wants to give a chance (from what we have been told).

Osweiler was a horrible player and reports are that he was a horrible guy with his teammates and coaches too. I'd take basically any pro level QB over him.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 12:57 AM

That's a very good question.

I really don't know the answer to that one. I would like to know the answer, as well.

Someone else mentioned that Brock might be the best qb on our roster. He really is the best qb on our roster. That's scary.

It makes me wonder why so many people are opposed to upgrading the position by trading for Jimmy G.

But, back to Osweiler. I wouldn't just cut him right now. Put it this way...........there is no way I want to have watch Kessler starting a series of game again. That was beyond painful.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 01:06 AM

That's a very good question.

I really don't know the answer to that one. I would like to know the answer, as well.

Someone else mentioned that Brock might be the best qb on our roster. He really is the best qb on our roster. That's scary.

It makes me wonder why so many people are opposed to upgrading the position by trading for Jimmy G.

But, back to Osweiler. I wouldn't just cut him right now. Put it this way...........there is no way I want to have watch Kessler starting a series of game again. That was beyond painful.

He has some very good film in Denver to go with his bad film in Houston. Including the 30 -24 OT win vs New England. He was 23-42 for 270 yards 1 TD 1 INT.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 01:11 AM
I like how our two QBs are exact opposites.
Posted By: MrTed Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 01:37 AM
I don't know the people don't want to trade for Jimmy, they (myself included) just don't want to pay what Bill might demand for a guy with 3 NFL starts when Myles Garret is there for the taking.

Do you think he's the next Andrew Luck? I've never seen him play.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 01:41 AM
All I know is Hue said he likes QBs over 6'2...Wouldn't that bode better for Osweiler than Kessler?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 01:42 AM
Quote:

I don't like making comparisons too much. I do not think he is similar to Luck.

He is similar to Aaron Rodgers in many ways. His arm isn't as strong, but it's plenty strong.

They are similar in size, ability to process info quickly, sitting behind a legend for a long time, gunslinger mentality at times, athleticism, quick release, ability to throw from different arm angles, great motion when throwing w/out duress, etc.

I am not saying he is going to be as good as Rodgers. That would be stupid. But, you asked.

The bottom line for me is that I truly think he has a great chance of solving our qb position for over a decade.

And, if I am correct...........can you really put a price on that?
Posted By: MrTed Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 01:51 AM
Quote:

I don't like making comparisons too much. I do not think he is similar to Luck.

He is similar to Aaron Rodgers in many ways. His arm isn't as strong, but it's plenty strong.

They are similar in size, ability to process info quickly, sitting behind a legend for a long time, gunslinger mentality at times, athleticism, quick release, ability to throw from different arm angles, great motion when throwing w/out duress, etc.

I am not saying he is going to be as good as Rodgers. That would be stupid. But, you asked.

The bottom line for me is that I truly think he has a great chance of solving our qb position for over a decade.

And, if I am correct...........can you really put a price on that?

When I asked the Luck question it wasn't as in style of play, but 'next big thing' worth selling the farm for.

I did ask and thank you for the analysis. I agree, if all that panned out here in Cleveland you couldn't put a price on it.

Man, 10 years. We haven't had a QB for 10 straight years since Otto have we? I think after 31/2 years we'd all be walking around delirious wondering what was going on! grin grin
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 01:59 AM
I always thought of Jimmy G as a bigger version of Drew Brees. Or at least envisioned him that way.
Posted By: MrTed Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 02:03 AM
I always thought of Jimmy G as a bigger version of Drew Brees. Or at least envisioned him that way.

That's not a bad thing to be. If he indeed does turn out to be that good.

I just remembered something, didn't he stay in college another year when he heard we might be drafting him?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 02:09 AM
Quote:
I just remembered something, didn't he stay in college another year when he heard we might be drafting him?

Who?
Posted By: MrTed Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 02:18 AM
Quote:

Who?

Jimmy, I just did a google search and 5 pages in I couldn't find anything like that so...perhaps not.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 02:22 AM
Originally Posted By: MrTed
Quote:

Who?

Jimmy, I just did a google search and 5 pages in I couldn't find anything like that so...perhaps not.

I had never heard that before. It would really surprise me because he came out of a small school Eastern Illinois so I doubt he would have ever made that kinda comment.
Posted By: MrTed Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 02:25 AM
I vaguely remember somebody doing something like this around that time. It's all so fuzzy now.... confused
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 03:32 AM
I like how our two QBs are exact opposites.

In what way? Height?
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 03:34 AM
Arm strength.
Accuracy.
Height.

Brock 2, Kessler 1
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 03:34 AM
Brock has a big arm but does not take care of the ball.

Cody has a weak arm but does not turn the ball over.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 03:47 AM
Originally Posted By: MrTed
Quote:

Who?

No, that never happened.
Posted By: Vambo Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 03:57 AM
Report: Browns have no immediate plans to cut Osweiler, could take two QBs in draft

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report...o-qbs-in-draft/

Here’s what we know: The Browns are in desperate need of a franchise quarterback. It’s why they signed Robert Griffin III last offseason, and when that didn’t work out, it’s why they traded for Brock Osweiler earlier this week (right before they released RG3).

The Browns also got the Texans’ 2018 second-round pick as part of the deal for Osweiler and that, more than a quarterback coming off a horrible season in Houston, was apparently the impetus for the trade. In fact, there was speculation that the Browns might immediately cut Osweiler. But according to Cleveland.com’s Terry Pluto, the Browns never had any plans to dump Osweiler shortly after acquiring him, and more than that, the team preferred Osweiler to Griffin, partly because Griffin struggled to stay healthy.

There’s more: The Browns currently have three quarterbacks: Cody Kessler, Kevin Hogan and Osweiler, but there are several ways that could change in the coming weeks and months. Pluto writes that one plan involves the Browns taking two quarterbacks in the 2017 NFL Draft (as it stands, the team has two first-rounders and two second-rounders and are stacked both this year and next).

NFL GameDay
✔
@NFLGameDay

The #Browns draft picks after the Osweiler trade:

2017: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6
2018: 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7
5:14 PM - 9 Mar 2017 · Culver City, CA

The other plan includes packaging a lot of those draft picks above and fashioning a deal that would prompt the Patriots to part ways with Jimmy Garoppolo, the man who has thrown a grand total of 94 passes in the NFL and is best known as Tom Brady’s understudy.

Pluto reiterates what has been widely reported around the league: “As of right now, I hear there is nothing happening with the Patriots when it comes to Garoppolo.”

he Browns are -- and have been -- Garoppolo’s biggest suitor, and for good reason: Cleveland doesn’t have the best track record when it comes to drafting quarterbacks in the first round. Johnny Manziel, Brandon Weeden and Brady Quinn are the three most recent examples. But the Pats reportedly want the Browns’ No. 1 overall pick in 2017, and maybe even their 2018 first-round pick too. If that seems extreme, it is.

And even if the Browns should land Garoppolo -- or another quarterback, for that matter -- the expectation is that they will still draft another one, though in the later rounds.

For now, Osweiler remains in Cleveland. How long that remains the case is another matter.
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 05:09 AM
Jimmy didn't stay in college to avoid being drafted by us. He just loved playing for his college team.
Posted By: tazolio Re: Brock TO cleveland - 03/12/17 08:47 AM
they will ride him till someone gets hurt in the preseason, even if they are smart....may trade.....but im in the camp hes prob better than what we got so give him a look....i also dont understand why there is no cutler demand.......my guess is a big move in the mix.......just reeks of a big move
© DawgTalkers.net