Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
I've been in Oregon for nearly 17 years now after 12 years in Columbus and 18 years in Cleveland and its burbs. Back in September I left my job at Nike for another opportunity at a Bay Area company, but work from home (outside of a monthly trip down there and misc trips). I love my apdopted city, all the state has to offer, and have several great friends. It is starting to get pretty expensive though...for example, 2 years ago I bought in the burbs - it was rare to find a house on the east side (about 1600 square block area) under $375-400k. Now that number is $450-475k (900-1200 sq ft livable space).

Regardless, my real estate agent texted me today saying she has a client "desperate" to move into my neighborhood. She knows my house since she was my agent when I bought it, and has been over a couple times since. I told her wait until June, as I hit my 2 year mark the 2nd of July and won't have to pay capital gains. She said she will figure the capital gains and she'll work with the buyer to cover that, and said the buyer wants to move fast. I don't have any details beyond that yet.

This got me thinking that (a) I don't need to be in Portland, as much as I like it here and (b) I know at some point I'd have to consider moving back to Ohio at some point, as my mom is 72. Still young, but I'd rather move back at an opportunity to me rather than be "forced" into moving back.

So, if this thing happens, I'm going to consider moving back to either the Columbus or Cleveland areas. I get back 2x/year, but really just visit family, so I don't really know what's up in either city anymore. Fill me in on what's going on in both cities (good and bad), and what its like to live there nowadays. I follow all of the sports teams in both, so no need to cover them. Also, what are some nice, up and coming neighborhoods that aren't over-gentrified?

Legend
Legend
ummm...cost of living is cheap.

cleveland housing market is still trash, so you can buy a house in some uppity wealthy suburb for around 150-250k.

cavs tickets are still somewhat affordable. can get browns tickets for 10 bucks. Flats is looking even better.

oh, and swimming in the lake won't make you grow a 3rd arm. but depending on what you're into, that could be a good or bad thing.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
I live in Powell, 20 minutes north of Columbus. Down here you've got the all sorts of neat neighborhoods to choose from, if you want to spent the money that is.

Victorian village, German Village, Italian Village. Don't know what the arts scene is like up there but you've got the Ohio theater, the Palace theater, the Franklin Conservatory, Columbus Museum of Art.

Some cool malls, movie theaters, and if you're into golf there are PLENTY of golf courses around here.

You could move a little far out into the sticks and get even more house and land if you want it too.

Can't imagine the weather is that much different.

Don't know how often the people in Cleveland repair the roads, but down here the orange barrels pop up so often that traffic is just a JOY!

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
A
Legend
Legend
A
Cost of living would def. be lower I would guess.

Employment would be the big thing, if I were you.

C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Thanks guys. If Cleveland, I'd want to live as close to downtown as possible I think. Ohio City, Tremont, maybe Lakewood if they're not overly gentrified.

Not sure on Columbus. My brother lives in Powell, but that might be farther out than I want to be.

Employment isn't an issue, I have a job that will move with me. My monthly commute to the Bay Area for a week will be more difficult, but no problems overall.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Cleveland and Columbus aren't all that close. Where does your mom live? Knowing that will help us narrow it down for you.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Cleveland and Columbus aren't all that close. Where does your mom live? Knowing that will help us narrow it down for you.

This is an excellent point. It's over (not by much) two hours from Powell to Cleveland. So if you wanna live closer to downtown Columbus that will tack on a half hour.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C

My mom lives in Brunswick (sister and her family too), my father and stepmom live in Brecksville. I have an uncle in Aurora and a cousin in Stow.

From a Columbus perspective, only my brother in Powell, but friends scattered throughout the city.

Actual location doesn't matter as much yet, just looking for non-familial reasons to consider moving back (or staying away smile ). I know the drive between Columbus and Cleveland well - 12 years in Columbus, I drove that probably 60 or more times.

Something I didn't mention is that I'll need to get it cleared through my work, as they'd need to "open an office" in either city for me, mainly for tax purposes. Columbus would likely be their vote, as we are a player in the smart city market, and Columbus won the smart city challenge last summer.

And update...this is moving really, really fast. My agent said her other client unofficially offered me between 10 and 25 grand higher than her inital thought, to make sure capital gains are covered. They want to come over and see the house on Friday and have talked about an early May close date.

Last edited by clwb419; 03/15/17 01:03 AM.
Legend
Legend
Congrats on the new job. I can't add much to this conversation, other than you will make out financially. Good luck in whatever you decide!

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
May I suggest Austintown Ohio. Cost of living is cheap and only a bit more than an hour from Cleveland. Just think of the Money you could put back into savings just by selling your home and buying this one.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Austintown-OH/fsba,fsbo,new_lt/mmm_pt/house,townhouse_type/34834654_zpid/10223_rid/2-_beds/2-_baths/1200-1900_size/priced_sort/41.136843,-80.694666,41.058191,-80.810023_rect/12_zm/

Just search Austintown Ohio with zip codes 44515 and 44511

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I was born and raised in Greater Cleveland. Mostly Lakewood (1960-1971).

I recently "drove" through Lakewood on Google. Visited my old houses. I expected see the places deteriorated.

Stopped right in front of the house I lived at 1205 Gladys Ave. Just a typical middle income neighborhood.

It was beautiful. Very tidy. Flower boxes in full bloom on the porch.

If I could see an easy away, I wouldn't hesitate to move back. Clevelanders are among the friendliest, sincerest people in the U.S.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I really like Columbus. Been here for about 20 years now.

Lots to do and pretty inexpensive as far as big cities go. I just bought a 4000 square foot house on 6 acres for 435k on the southwest side of the city. Sounds like you want to live closer to the city though - places like German Village would probably be where I'd start for city living but still in a house.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Stark County is in-between Cleveland and Columbus. I know a lot of Cleveland professionals who moved down that way due to how much more house they can get for the money.

North Canton and Jackson Twp are really nice in that county.

I'll give you a link to a real estate site for homes in N. Canton. I think you'll be amazed at much house you'll be able to get for your money.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/North-Canton_OH

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
1. Cost of living
2. No water shortage smile
3. Ok, with the exception of this week, our winters have been relatively temperate lately. Hooray global warming!
4. You don't have to worry too much about weather events or natural disasters like hurricanes, major earthquakes, tornadoes, or extreme flooding. For the most part this area is pretty safe.
5. Generally, Midwest people are pretty level headed socially and politically. No extreme this-way or that-way driving all decisions.
6. Austin Carr on Fox Sports for every Cavs game.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I pulled this house from Verstle's link above:

It's beautiful (in my opinion - I'm partial to ranches).

Judging from the other houses in the link, North Canton's a nice place. Very upscale.

Listed at $169,500. Probably will sell for ~$160,000.

Here in Connecticut, this house would sell for more than $250,000.

Of course here you do have New York City ~ 1 1/2 hours away; Boston ~ 2 hours; The ocean ~ 1 hour; Vermont & New Hampshire mountains ~ 2 hours; The Southern New England Browns Backers Headquarters 1/2 hour.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
In my neighborhood in Portland it'd list around $325,000.

[Linked Image]
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
The Ohio CCW is recognized by more states the the one issued by Oregon

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg

In my neighborhood in San Diego, that would list for around $1,325,000. frown

D
Legend
Legend
D

V
Legend
Legend
V
North Canton is a very nice community. Hoover--the vacuum people--are located there. In fact, the high school is known as North Canton--Hoover.

There is almost ZERO crime in North Canton. The schools are always at the top of the chart in Ohio. There are tons of good restaurants in the area and quite a bit of shopping. You miss out on things like a big city has to offer in regards to plays, music venues, etc..........but Cleveland is less than an hour away.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

You guys are a bunch of rookies. Down here that is a million dollar home. In my area, $350,000 will get you a total gut job. Oh yeah, you better have all cash too. Most sales are cash only due to a lot of un-permitted work being done in the cocaine boom. Needless to say, I rent my one bedroom apartment for $1,350/month.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
The air hurts my face.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
North Canton is a very nice community. Hoover--the vacuum people--are located there. In fact, the high school is known as North Canton--Hoover.

There is almost ZERO crime in North Canton. The schools are always at the top of the chart in Ohio. There are tons of good restaurants in the area and quite a bit of shopping. You miss out on things like a big city has to offer in regards to plays, music venues, etc..........but Cleveland is less than an hour away.

I know TTI Floorcare bought Hoover a while back but I think the actual factory in North Canton is closed, if I'm not mistaken.

C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
So, the move part won't be happening, it is more than just inconvenient for my company. Now I need to decide if I want to sell my house and either rent or buy a more expensive one...

thx all

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Stark County is in-between Cleveland and Columbus. I know a lot of Cleveland professionals who moved down that way due to how much more house they can get for the money.

North Canton and Jackson Twp are really nice in that county.

I'll give you a link to a real estate site for homes in N. Canton. I think you'll be amazed at much house you'll be able to get for your money.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/North-Canton_OH
What do you have against CLWB?

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
I pulled this house from Verstle's link above:

It's beautiful (in my opinion - I'm partial to ranches).

Judging from the other houses in the link, North Canton's a nice place. Very upscale.

Listed at $169,500. Probably will sell for ~$160,000.

Here in Connecticut, this house would sell for more than $250,000.

Of course here you do have New York City ~ 1 1/2 hours away; Boston ~ 2 hours; The ocean ~ 1 hour; Vermont & New Hampshire mountains ~ 2 hours; The Southern New England Browns Backers Headquarters 1/2 hour.

There is a reason that house will only pull $160,000. In general, the whole Canton area is a crap hole. North Canton and Jackson Twnp are nice areas, but as a whole the area sucks to live in. I was just thinking to myself earlier how depressed I was that I still work in the Canton area so I still have to go back daily.

C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C

Maybe I'll move by you...it'd be at least 475k here smile The tentative offer I got for my 1500 sq ft with .3 acre is 410-425, though to be fair, that is likely going to be 10-25 over comps.

I can't believe I'm looking at half million dollar homes if I sell. Maybe I'll just rent again for a year or two.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: clwb419

Maybe I'll move by you...it'd be at least 475k here smile The tentative offer I got for my 1500 sq ft with .3 acre is 410-425, though to be fair, that is likely going to be 10-25 over comps.

I can't believe I'm looking at half million dollar homes if I sell. Maybe I'll just rent again for a year or two.

I love my hood. We all have tall trees in our yards. Single level ranches leading to lots of privacy. Large lots. Mine's a .41acre lot. Easy access to the 205 and 99e. Down to earth families. Best thing is being in Clackamas County keeps me out of the Mult County tax craziness.

PM me if you are interested in knowing the area better.

[Linked Image]
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Thanks. If this thing happens, I'll likely be in Multnomah county, closer to the airport or close to downtown. Washington County is my backup, since I'm here and have a ton of friends here

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I'm 8 miles to the Burnside Bridge. Have the Orange Max Line not too far away too.
20 minutes to the Airport. The Green Line to the Red Line to the airport a short drive away.
Just sayin'.

Last edited by PortlandDawg; 03/15/17 09:46 PM.

[Linked Image]
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
I hear ya, I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I end up getting an offer. I know my absolute minimum taking into consideration capital gains, but I don't think I'd accept that.

If they just wait 2 more months and close in July instead of May, I don't need to sweat Capital Gains (earlier if Trump & Co gets rid of Capital Gains) and this can be an easy transaction and they'll save some money to boot...

E
Legend
Legend
E
The only reason to move to Ohio is for sentimental reasons. There are other parts of the country that have lower cost of living/higher quality of living.

No Craps Given
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hater. LOL

Look............I don't live in Ohio anymore and I just recently sold my home that I kept in Ohio for over a decade. It was one of the saddest days of my life. I raised my children in that house. We had grand parties in that house. My deceased mother helped get that house in order. It wasn't just a house.........it was our home.

I love Ohio and I'm gonna miss going up there each summer.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If you're wanting to live close to your mom in Brunswick

If you want more city/suburban life . Strongsville would be a great choice . If you want more rural /small town , Medina is great . Both have easy access to downtown Cleveland if that is wheee you work

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
The only reason to move to Ohio is for sentimental reasons. There are other parts of the country that have lower cost of living/higher quality of living.

Which places have a "lower cost of living/higher quality of life" are you talking about?

Legend
Legend
Quality of life is relative.

However, there's definitely Lower cost of living in other parts, specifically in the south.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

Which places have a "lower cost of living/higher quality of life" are you talking about?

I'm curious as well. I've traveled all over the country for work and Ohio is really hard to beat on cost of living while still having access to a decent sized city. Quality of living can be pretty arbitrary, but Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati all have a wide range of activities. They are certainly not Chicago, NYC, or San Fran but those cities have a cost of living that is ridiculous. Eve's stomping grounds of Atlanta is great and has a pretty low cost of living for a big city, but the traffic there is insane.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
quote above by kingo:

"There is a reason that house will only pull $160,000. In general, the whole Canton area is a crap hole. North Canton and Jackson Twnp are nice areas, but as a whole the area sucks to live in. I was just thinking to myself earlier how depressed I was that I still work in the Canton area so I still have to go back daily."

This saddens me. I never knew Canton was such a sewer.

I'm thinking Columbus may become - or already is - the crown jewel of Ohio.

It's got the giant (and I might had fairly prestigious) Ohio State University, it's got the seat of Ohio government, the State Fair, the NHL Blue Jackets.

Nah. Not enough. Cleveland still rules.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Don't be saddened. North Canton, Jackson Twp, Hartville/Uniontown area, a significant part of Plain Twp, etc are all very, very nice.

E
Legend
Legend
E
The cost of living is a lot lower in Atlanta and it's a much nicer city to live in.

The traffic is bad only if you don't know what you're doing. You have to know what areas to avoid at what time of day/week.

I commuted every day from the west side to the south side and back with no problems.

You can get a newer larger house for a less expensive price than in Cleveland. I was looking at houses in Cleveland and couldn't understand how they wanted so much money for really old houses. There is a lot of new construction in the suburbs here. You can get a good deal on a brand new home.

No Craps Given
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Sell me on moving back to Ohio

Link Copied to Clipboard