Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Does anyone really think the Republicans are going to approve the largest welfare program in Republican history?

We already feed, clothe and house nearly half our population while being $20 Trillion in debt.
Each .25 uptick of interest rates costs us another $50 Billion per year on top of our current payments.

Even parents know you don't bankrupt yourselves to pay for your kids. That just puts everyone in the dog house.

Trump is a good negotiator but I don't think he will be able to get them to pass this bill.

Legend
Legend
it's a huge tax cut for the rich.

i think the bill will pass. of course it will get tweaked, but putting money back into rich people's pockets has and will always be priority to republicans.

so yea, i think it will get passed.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:
the largest welfare program in Republican history

I'd like to reply but I have no idea what you are referring to with that statement. Where is this big giveaway? I'm pretty sure it makes huge cuts to the existing law.

So please explain if you don't mind.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
if this bill passes, it's gonna be so bad that the republicans are gonna end up putting more people on welfare.

but it doesn't matter cause the rich people need that new yacht, bro. asap

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
Are you in the repeal only camp 40? You want to go back to the good ole days of pre-existing condition exemptions and life limits?

O
Legend
Legend
O
The GOP health care bill is a huge problem for republicans before they even attempt it. At this point they are trapped, they own whatever happens with healthcare and no matter what they do they are going to make people mad as heck.

It's popcorn time to me, and in 4 years we'll finally be ready to look at single payer.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Are you in the repeal only camp 40? You want to go back to the good ole days of pre-existing condition exemptions and life limits?

You and yours will cry and whine no matter what they do so yea, Repeal alone may be the way to go.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Not a fan of repeal alone for a few reasons ... one of those reasons is there was some good things in it ... so why not keep the good and "change" it ...

Not a fan of this bill as it sits now ... hopefully it continues to evolve or doesn't pass ... I don't get the rush .... i would much rather they get it right ... people i trust think this bill STINKS ... i don't know enough about it ... so i will go with them ...

GET IT RIGHT DONNIE ..... u got elected to enact a good health care law ... not a quick one ...

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING

You and yours will cry and whine no matter what they do so yea, Repeal alone may be the way to go.

Repeal with no replace would be a HUGE GIFT to the dems. HUGE.

He might even come up with a decent health care plan, but when they cut entitlements somebody has to lose and his base is smack in the middle of the entitlement class. I don't think he can do anything conservative or Republican and survive to see a second term. Not doing anything is not an option at this point either because he will be run out on a rail.

But he/they made their bed so I'm waiting to see them lay in it. smile *popcorn*

Unlike Hillary supporters, I didn't have a dog in this race and would have been negative about her too. But I have to admit that watching Trump fail miserably (being sad for the country and damage to the office of Potus aside) makes me giggle inside.

O
Legend
Legend
O
How long do you realistically see him keeping the house and senate GOP on his side? I give it two maybe three more months then I think they will be ready to oust him.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
You have underestimated Trump for nearly 2 years now but keep playing.

O
Legend
Legend
O
You have underestimated Trump for nearly 2 years now but keep playing.

I never underestimated Trump. I warned for a long time that he was going to be President. Check your facts.

But I did underestimate the intellect of the American electorate in the home stretch of the campaign. I thought he had hung himself out to dry several times, but nope, his supporters refused to see him for who he is and kept chugging the koolaid.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yes, Deplorable aren't we.

O
Legend
Legend
O

Some much more than others. wink

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/21/17 08:41 PM.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
There needs to be a YUGE groundswell of opposition to this. I've already emailed both my senator and congressman to voice my opinion on the matter along with my estimation of the size of the room needed for the next RNC (a high school gym) and the fact that neither of them will be there after they lose their jobs if they don't get this right.

They got elected because the original ACA didn't work out well. They will get the opposition elected if the AHCA doesn't work out well.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
E
Legend
Legend
E
Repeal only would pretty much be politcal suicide.

No Craps Given
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

Yea, it probably would be. Perhaps if they can't get it passed, they should say, "Well we tried and will revisit it in the future." Then let ObamaCare continue to completely crash and burn, giving everyone a dose of reality before they try again.

I see the Republican plan as better than no plan or a collapsed ObamaCare plan.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

Yea, it probably would be. Perhaps if they can't get it passed, they should say, "Well we tried and will revisit it in the future." Then let ObamaCare continue to completely crash and burn, giving everyone a dose of reality before they try again.

I see the Republican plan as better than no plan or a collapsed ObamaCare plan.

I think since Trump came out and said we should just let Obama care fail if we can't pass our bill right away killed that option. Either way Trump now owns the outcome.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Trump could have sat back and let Ryan take the hit if this plan fails but he didn't.

We have seen the President go out of his way to stand by all of the promises he made. He wants to make good on his word so he stepped in to move this bill along. Everyone knows this is not the final bill we will end up with, there is still more to negotiate.

Now we will see if he can get the cooperation he needs to get it through the House. If so, it begins anew in the Senate.

Legend
Legend

Yep, can't trust anyone with tiny hands.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gop-obamac...-125941347.html

GOP Obamacare repeal bill betrays key Trump campaign promise

Ethan Wolff-Mann

Yahoo FinanceMarch 22, 2017

Trump on Capitol Hill on Tuesday to rally for the Obamacare repeal bill, the AHCA. Source: AP
More

During the 2016 presidential campaign, Donald Trump stumped hard on promises not to touch Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. There are about 59 million Social Security beneficiaries in the US now, and Medicare provides health coverage to 56 million, and Medicaid 71 million, including 14 million covered under the Affordable Care Act’s Medicaid expansion.

“I was the first & only potential GOP candidate to state there will be no cuts to Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid. Huckabee copied me,” Trump tweeted in 2015, following up with: “Huckabee is a nice guy but will never be able to bring in the funds so as not to cut Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid. I will.”

He doubled down and kept doubling down, a month later tweeting, “The Republicans who want to cut SS & Medicaid are wrong. A robust economy will Make America Great Again!”

Within the first 70 days days of his presidency, Trump has followed through on another campaign promise, dismantling Obamacare, by promoting a repeal bill. However, the pursuit of that goal has led him to break his promises to fully protect Medicare and Medicaid. The repeal bill makes significant cuts to Medicaid coverage and shrinks Medicare funding.

The AHCA hurts Medicare and Medicaid

Known as the American Health Care Act, the bill would repeal much of the ACA (known as Obamacare) if Congress approves it, including wiping out the Medicaid expansion by removing coverage for an additional 14 million people. This would violate the campaign promise not to cut Medicaid.

On the Medicare side, President Trump, despite numerous promises to save the federal health insurance program for those over 65, is supporting a bill that would strip Medicare of a key funding source, a 0.9% surtax on earnings over $200,000 that would have taken in $117 billion in the next decade. According to the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, removing this funding would cause Medicare’s Part A fund, which helps with hospital costs, to be insolvent two years early, in 2023. As a result, it would have to pay out 14% less to providers, potentially crippling seniors’ ability to receive care.

Snyder: GOP health bill would 'adversely impact' residents

“The overriding law means [Medicare] can’t pay out more than it has in its trust fund. This would spell a major cut,” CRFB Senior Policy Director Marc Goldwein told Yahoo Finance recently. “If providers aren’t getting paid on time or get paid less, it’s hard to imagine this doesn’t at least hurt access if not quality or availability of care for seniors.”

As the House prepares to vote on the legislation Thursday, Trump made a trip up the Hill on Tuesday to sway some GOP members who remain unconvinced, tweeting, “PassTheBill.GOP #PassTheBill #MAGA.” (sic). Moderate GOP members have thrown their arms up at the massive losses of coverage the Congressional Budget Office expects and the Freedom Caucus referred to the bill as “Obamacare Lite,” a partial repeal that compromises too much. Joined by Democrats, opposition is fierce.

“While I’ve been in Congress, I can’t recall a more universally detested piece of legislation than this GOP health care bill,” tweeted Rep. Justin Amash (R-MI) on Monday.

But going beyond the unpopularity, it’s the first major betrayal of a campaign promise by the 45th president.

“President Trump couldn’t have been more clear on the campaign trail that he would not cut Medicare and Medicaid,” Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) told Yahoo Finance. “Now he’s giving a big hug to Paul Ryan’s plan to slash $880 billion from the Medicaid program, which will hurt people with disabilities, working families, babies, and seniors in nursing homes.”

This hypocrisy was also the gist of Sen. Bernie Sanders’s (I-VT) giant poster of one of Trump’s tweets promising not to cut these social safety nets. “Either Donald Trump lied to the American people or he’s got to say that he will veto any cuts to Medicare, Medicaid or Social Security,” Sanders tweeted.

Much of the analysis of the AHCA noted that the legislation would hurt core Trump voters, and in a March 15 interview with Tucker Carlson on Fox News, Trump acknowledged as much. When Carlson said, “the counties who voted for you will do far worse under your plan,” Trump responded, “Yeah, oh I know. I know,” before noting it was “very preliminary.”

On Monday, a few days before the vote, only a few minor changes were made to the bill, which has not changed substantively.

Whether this broken promise will make a meaningful difference to Trump’s popularity in the future is as unknown as anything else in his presidency—CBO projections are simply projections. But if they prove correct and members of his base are significantly hurt by these policies, the fallout will likely be much worse than the myriad scandals that plagued the Trump campaign.

“The president may have just discovered that healthcare is complicated,” says Warren, “but one thing is very simple: Trump is breaking his word to the American people.”

Ethan Wolff-Mann is a writer at Yahoo Finance focusing on consumer issues, tech, and personal finance. Follow him on Twitter @ewolffmann. Got a tip? Send it to tips@yahoo-inc.com.

Legend
Legend
This needed to be added...."American Health Care Act (Known as TrumpCare)"

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
I saw a clip of a Trump supporter giving him credit for his new health care because her son got laid off and got to keep his health insurance for him and his family at a greatly reduced rate. His premium went from $500 something to like $88 while he "gets back on his feet". Trump of course got all the credit and praise for his great health care law.

What was lost on this Trump supporter was the fact that Trump has no health care law and that her son was actually taking part in the state's expanded medicaid insurance that helps cover families during transitions like this. DOH!

Furthermore the irony thickens because this is the same medicaid expansion that will probably be cut due to under funding under the Trump/Ryan plan. But all Hail Trump! lol

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Not challenging you, but may we have a link or someway to watch this? I am interested in seeing it and getting an opinion of my own, please.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Magdawg
Not challenging you, but may we have a link or someway to watch this? I am interested in seeing it and getting an opinion of my own, please.

Would love to but I watched it on a progressive youtube channel that tends to use curse words that are banned here. So no can do, not even a link because that is a bannable offense on DawgTalkers. But you can PM me if you want.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/22/17 02:55 PM.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Send the link to me, in p.m., of course.

Legend
Legend
Why this bugs me: in their haste to get this thing out, the GOP has scuttled and/or neglected some of the key points of 45's campaign platform. And, of course, he's not only going along with it- he's actively promoting it. This amounts to 'promises broken,' if he isn't cracking the bully whip over them to protect Medicare, Medicaid and SS like he said.

What's the big rush? I would think that at this particular point in time, it would be more important to get it right than to get it fast. It is wrought with flaws, stands to bring suffering to the very people who voted most enthusiastically for 45, and doesn't make improvements on what we already have. As it stands, the GOP will own this themselves for good or ill. Better to take it back to committee to be made right, than try to push this 'Sisyphus Rock' uphill.

Well... the big rush is this: they HAVE to do it this way, to be able to vote simple majority. As long as it's budget-based, it can pass through reconciliation, avoiding the risk of a filibuster- which requires a 60 vote majority to be squashed. In other words, they're trying to take the 'greased skids' approach.

I understand the appeal of such a tactic, but the downside is this:

1. If it passes as-is, some truly butt-hurt constituents will be lining up firing squads at the mid-terms
2. If it fails, they will have slapped NEW 'bad optics' on a running 7-year soap opera, with nothing to show for their efforts.

They had 7 years to have something ready. This could have been as easy a 'plug & play' scenario as could be imagined. Instead, they spent all their time in 60+ failed attempts to repeal the ACA, with no apparent efforts to craft a decent replacement. Now, they try to rush through this Frankenstein creation of a tax cut package that does little to nothing for Joe 6 pack? Dumb. Dumb- and risky, in the long term.

Here's what gripes me the most:
We have a flawed act already in place. What would be so terrible about fixing what's already here, instead of an Total System Dump/reboot? The finished product would be a win claimed by both Donks and Pachyderms, with the American People coming out the biggest winners of all. So why would they not even consider this as a viable option? Because a successful health care plan was never the motivation for all the repeal attempts in the first place. If it was, they'd have already had something of quality crafted, waiting in the wings.

By their deeds, ye shall know them.

Now, they're like the dog who actually caught the car- WTF do I do with this now? rofl tsktsk

I've said all along that the ONLY real motivation behind this (and most of 45's petty initiatives) was to obliterate 44's name from the legacy books. Spite is a poor substitute for governance.

They will have to be extremely lucky to have this fall exactly right... and they've already burned a lot of luck getting this far.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Try to keep in mind this is not the final bill.

This is the bill in a form that may get through the House and then sent to the Senate.

The Senate and Trump will work together on further changes.

O
Legend
Legend
O

This is the bill in a form that may get through the House and then sent to the Senate.

The only issue with that line of thinking is that the bill will still be purely Republican. Nothing the Dems want will make it's way in that is not being carried over from the ACA. I would like to see Bernie's Drug import Bill attached to this in the Senate for starters. I'd like to see cost caps, caps on the profit insurance companies can make, changes to brand name medicine/medical devices protections, and removal of the Donor Class tax breaks... It will never happen.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Then Trump will own Trumpcare.
And maybe they can spin a fancy way to demonize the poor for more tax cuts for the rich is somehow Obama's fault.

I still think that Trump made another horrible decision, he should have started with low hanging fruit that he could have gotten both parties to support (like 1 trillion for roads & bridges & water) and maybe then taxes and then healthcare.

We will see, it still may be pulled tomorrow if they don't have the votes

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

The only issue with that line of thinking

Not an issue, its the LAW!

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: northlima dawg

I still think that Trump made another horrible decision, he should have started with low hanging fruit that he could have gotten both parties to support (like 1 trillion for roads & bridges & water)

Wasn't his choice, Congress wanted to Kill ObamaCare the first day they became the new Congress. Trump wanted Tax cuts and deregulation first. Water under the bridge now.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
The GOP health care bill is a huge problem for republicans before they even attempt it. At this point they are trapped, they own whatever happens with healthcare and no matter what they do they are going to make people mad as heck.

It's popcorn time to me, and in 4 years we'll finally be ready to look at single payer.

In my opinion they're in that position because of the Affordable Care Act in the first place. I don't agree with that at all economically but it set a bar that some people accepted and now expect a handout or subsidy from the government for their healthcare (makes me sick).

I don't understand what the rush is getting the replacement in though. If anything more time needs to be taken to ensure everything is right and both sides get enough of what they want. As long as the individual mandate gets repealed I am fine with it. That is the part I care about most that I feel is pretty much illegal where the Fed is essentially forcing you to buy something you don't necessarily want.

No matter what happens, I want less government run health care and more open market competition and fairness. There can be some regulation but I definitely do not want the government having a hand in things they have no business being in.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Clem, the problem with "fixing" the ACA is that it isn't in need of "tweaks". It is and always has been fundamentally and fatally flawed at it's core. It had ZERO business being passed in the first place and required the bribing of some Dems to get on board.

Once it was passed, literally every criticism and negative prediction by the law's detractors came true (minus 1 maybe.. death panels): millions would get kicked off of their existing healthcare plans, premiums would sky rocket as opposed to Obama's promised decrease of $2500/yr, crappier coverage, less access to plans and hospitals, you couldn't keep your plan or your doctor, and even the most inflated estimates of the number enrolled (still including the 5-6 million poor bastards who lost their coverage) still tops out at 20 million... short of the 30 million it was supposed to cover.

Oh, and the individual mandate was a massive blow to our civil Rights.

That's not something that can be fixed with tweaks. At best it's gov't ineptitude on full display... at worst it was purposefully designed to crash the health care system.

And with the idea of single payer in the shadows, I don't think the latter is to far fetched.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here is the conflict that is a core challenge to America.. we struggle with this, in some areas more than others.

If we accept government run programs, we accept a certain level of incompetence in dealing with large inflexible systems that are not the most efficient at delivering the service.

If we believe the in the private sector, we are at risk that services will be minimized and turned into profits by those who are focused on the bottom line profitability that is the motive of a private company.

Pensions versus 401K, supply of water, electricity and other services, this battle goes on and on.

Me, well I think I can live with inefficiency for the absence of a profit motive when the greater good for all is considered. But the more that you have faith in yourself, in your ability to manage your life and lifestyle, the more likely you are to favor individual programs. Those others are less capable of organizing their lives in a rational manner, and are a burden to those who are in more capable.

That is why I believe in a blended system, something that covers most, but for those who are more capable can pay a bit more, but not carry the complete load.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A very reasonable post. thumbsup

I don't have the answers to what is best but there are certain facts we must all come to grips with. ObamaCare is finished and can not be saved or fixed. It is too broken, all the way to its core. Something new has to replace it or government run healthcare becomes a dream.

Also our Country is so in the hole financially with that $20 Trillion debt we inherited along with rising interest rates, our choices are very limited.

Legend
Legend
I'm going to feel bad for all the trump supporters who are gonna have to turn into Trap lords just to pay for the insurance that they will eventually lose.

Will they be labeled thugs? Or will the narrative be "they're just honest people trying to make a buck to survive"?

I hope it doesn't happen, but since it probably will, I'll be interested in the results.

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
Guess that depends if they're slinging herb or smack and how upscale their corner is...

Legend
Legend
Ever seen that show Weeds? That's how it's gonna be.

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
I actually think what is much more likely is that the uninsured middle class will overwhelm emergency rooms and low cost/free clinics that now service the poor. That theory that local governments, charitable organizations and corporate discount drug programs will fill the gap is just Donor Class hype trying to justify their greed.

This will lead to hospitals in working class areas either taking considerable losses, maybe being forced to shut their doors or go bankrupt, and a lot less access to health care. Meanwhile those that can afford it will be catered to with excess like the good ole days.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Repeal and Replace Obama Care

Link Copied to Clipboard