Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think the Dems will just confirm him. He's an upgrade to Scalia in many ways for the dems. I was actually shocked that Trump picked this guy and the runner up. The real battle should be fought if and when Trump has to replace one of the liberal judges.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
So then after all of that, it's not a rule?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It's an unwritten rule, it's an understanding, it's something to roll out when it suits you.

It's like the "rule" that the defeated party is supposed to give the new President more latitude in the first 100 days to get some of their campaign promises taken care of.. it's not written down anywhere but it's understood that is just what you do unless the incoming President really goes too far.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
That would be fine and if ever actually put to the test, it would probably be that way.

We have a GOP congress, senate and president. I don't really understand the problem unless it's only to attempt to silence those who disagree with him. All the cards are stacked in his favor. Maybe it's time he simply carries on with the job instead of attacking and sending out nasty tweets to everyone who disagrees with him.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Maybe in your world. But it existed and was the basis for why Obama was out of line in nominating a Supreme before the election.

Remember the last year of Reagan, well, Kennedy was appointed to the bench that year...

There is no excuse for congress not doing their jobs. At the very least, holding hearings..They didn't even do that for Garland

There just isn't an excuse that holds up... None.

And yes, when Biden suggested it during the W term, he was wrong..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

And yes, when Biden suggested it during the W term, he was wrong..

But it became the rule none the less.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

It's like the "rule" that the defeated party is supposed to give the new President more latitude in the first 100 days to get some of their campaign promises taken care of.. it's not written down anywhere but it's understood that is just what you do unless the incoming President really goes too far.

Just another manic episode. Moving on.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Apology accepted.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Yeah, great read.

Very impress resume.

Can you get any squeaky cleaner or smarter?

Uh Oh... Wait just a minute.

What about his wife's third cousin's mailman's neighbor?

Didn't he once use a bad word?

Oh my God!

"Trump Chooses Supreme Court Justice With Shady Connections."

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
"Protesters Gather."

O
Legend
Legend
O
Trump on record urging Mitch McConnel to invoke the nuclear option if Dems fail to confirm Gorsuch. This means they would drop the 60 cote barrier needed to 51 votes setting a precedent for all future nominations. Trump doesn't care he wants his way.

If the GOP does this it will impact the highest Judicial offices in the land for our lifetimes. I think the dems will/should confirm, but if they fight this will get nasty if the GOP does this.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Trump on record urging Mitch McConnel to invoke the nuclear option if Dems fail to confirm Gorsuch. This means they would drop the 60 cote barrier needed to 51 votes setting a precedent for all future nominations. Trump doesn't care he wants his way.

If the GOP does this it will impact the highest Judicial offices in the land for our lifetimes. I think the dems will/should confirm, but if they fight this will get nasty if the GOP does this.

The dems are going to fight, they are going to challenge and make this difficult.. on one hand some of that, to a degree, is their job... they will stomp their feet and scream about how he ruled in favor of Hobby Lobby so he's part religious zealot and part big corporate guy and their base will applaud their effort at defending the liberal cause.. but in the end, they will confirm.

Trump just needs to have some damn patience and let things play out. he is not, I will repeat again, sitting in his big chair in Trump Towers where he calls subcontractors and tells them to jump and they do.. this stuff takes some time and has to go through the process.

And if he does this, and I'm praying he does not... put this on the list of things that 5, 6, 8 years from now, the dems will use for their own benefit to appoint somebody of their choosing and republicans will whine about how "That was different"... write it down.

yebat' Putin
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H

1. Drop the filibuster rule
2. Move Trump's nominees through
3. In October 2018, reinstitute the filibuster rule

naughtydevil

Legend
Legend
Apology accepted.

Yup.. it's unwritten and unspoken so you have to accept it.. catfight

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Haus

naughtydevil

That's the spirt.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

naughtydevil

That's the spirt.

Just curious why he picked October 2018.. Trump might get to do this once, maybe even twice, more...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Midterms.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

naughtydevil

That's the spirt.

Just curious why he picked October 2018.. Trump might get to do this once, maybe even twice, more...

What I wrote was not really meant as a serious suggestion. It was more of a funny idea with the caveat that if the Democrats act unreasonably, it might be a last-resort type of option. I don't know.

Current rules are that a majority (51) senators are needed to confirm the President's appointments. There are currently 52 Republican Senators. However, Democrats can filibuster (think: endlessly stall) and 60 are needed to force an immediate vote.

October 2018 was thrown out there because, like 40 said, midterm elections. Liberals would actually have to show up in order to win seats but crazier things have happened.

Last edited by Haus; 02/01/17 05:47 PM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
What EVERYBODY should like about this guy, left or right, if you are concerned about limited gov't and equality is that when this guy hears a case his first question is: Does the (Fed) gov't even have any business being involved in the issue?

He's even talked about over-legislating.. what happens when we've created so many laws that cover so much of our lives that the gov't has a reason to arrest you at any time for anything?

He appears to be in the mold of a true Federalist and appears to be a bit more libertarian, although his views against assisted suicide kind of put a cap on that

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Is anyone else watching the confirmation hearings of this amazing nominee?

Legend
Legend
Been catching highlights, looks like a keeper! thumbsup

They say he has cells in his basement to keep Liberals until they are better.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: fishtheice

I watched parts ... what a great guy and what a great judge he will make ..... gonna go by what the law says and his history proves it ... i knew i loved him when he said ...

"I scarfed down a sandwich at lunch" ... *L* ...

Legend
Legend

I haven't been able to watch. I did see where a political correspondent for Slate and CBS tweeted out that what we need is people on the SCOTUS who do not have a legal background.. that would help with diversity. Supreme Court Justices without a legal background?.?.? I'll give him some credit for thinking outside the box.

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think he is conservative in his views, but I also think he will be very impartial in his rulings. Other than the fact that the GOP wouldn't let Obama's pick even have a hearing, I have no issue with him being confirmed to take Scalia's seat.

Legend
Legend
I think he is conservative in his views, but I also think he will be very impartial in his rulings. Other than the fact that the GOP wouldn't let Obama's pick even have a hearing, I have no issue with him being confirmed to take Scalia's seat.

Agreed.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Soon it will be time to tell the Democrats to shut up while we push his nomination through. thumbsup

Resistance

Is

Futile

Legend
Legend
The Borg lost.
Just sayin.'

Resistance is never futile, BUT it should be applied judiciously.
Time and place.
Priorities.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
The Borg lost.
Just sayin.'

Resistance is never futile, BUT it should be applied judiciously.
Time and place.
Priorities.

Oh, trust me, it is being applied JUDICIOUSLY! thumbsup

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I don't understand any resistance from the dems side. It makes me sick and I think its ridiculous. Does this type of display make them think people will vote for them? They hurt their chances for any future elections when they behave stupidly. That goes for both sides, but any party who is seen as holding up the process is bad and deserves most of the blame.

Most of the questions asked to the judge are completely asinine. Makes me wonder how those people are qualified to ask the questions......or how in the hell they got elected in the first place.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
I don't understand any resistance from the dems side. It makes me sick and I think its ridiculous.

Elizabeth Warren has called for postponement of Gorsuch hearing until after Trump FBI Investigation.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I think that is totally fair. The democrats aren't completely blocking, just being cautious. Of course I am not totally naive and know thee is a political reason other than ensuring Trump isn't tied to Russia.

It isn't a total block as Mitch McKonnel (sp?) had done to see if a republican president took office. This is still going on over a year and a half now?

P.S. I haven't researched for accuracy on the time periods or the spelling of the Head of the RNC.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
The real fight will come on the next nomination when control of the court could actually shift from a court that's evenly split with a swing vote (Kennedy) to a court with a conservative majority.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I haven't been able to watch. I did see where a political correspondent for Slate and CBS tweeted out that what we need is people on the SCOTUS who do not have a legal background.. that would help with diversity. Supreme Court Justices without a legal background?.?.? I'll give him some credit for thinking outside the box.

Dude, you've got to check out any footage of the hearings. This man is phenomenal. The Dems keep trying to get him to offer his personal opinions on political issues and he keeps sticking to his guns about expressing such opinions would undermine a plaintiff's expectation for him to be impartial.

My favorite part was when Feinstein tried to paint him as a pro-corporate, anti-little guy judge. He pointed out that he's ruled in favor and against both the little and big guys. When he asked her if she wanted some examples she said sure, send it in. HE said that's ok, I'll name some now then rattled off like a dozen or cases where he found for "the little guy".

It may have happened somewhere, but the few Dems I saw watched, none asked him about his judicial philosophy.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Magdawg
I think that is totally fair. The democrats aren't completely blocking, just being cautious. Of course I am not totally naive and know thee is a political reason other than ensuring Trump isn't tied to Russia.

When I saw that Elizabeth Warren tweeted this statement I have to agree Magdawg:

Elizabeth Warren
✔
@SenWarren

I've strongly opposed the Gorsuch nomination. Giant companies don't need another Supreme Court justice to tilt the law in their favor.

Legend
Legend
The Democrats have lost all credibility as they Protest everything, make outlandish accusations, boycott, leak top secret information and they refuse to stand to salute the wife of a solder who gave his life for America, all in the name of what appears to be Hate and petulance because they lost the election. They appear to be more concerned about themselves than with America.

They desperately need new leadership as Pelosi, Schumer, Warren and others act more like children than our representatives in Washington.

Legend
Legend

P
Legend
Legend
P
Schumer needs to retire along with Polosi ... JMHO

Last edited by PastorMarc; 03/23/17 11:41 AM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
O
Legend
Legend
O

I understand the pressure Schumer is under to resist everything Trump does, but the guy seems like a reasonable candidate for SCOTUS. I think this candidate is pretty much the same as the guy Obama nominated in his views, maybe even less likely to let his politics or personal beliefs affect his rulings.

Legend
Legend
Just another nail in the Democrats credibility coffin.

Legend
Legend
House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi launched into a blistering attack on President Trump’s Supreme Court pick Tuesday,
accusing Judge Neil Gorsuch of being hostile to everything from clean air to children with autism

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/...ear-option.html

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Trump Nominates Judge Neil Gorsuch to Supreme Court

Link Copied to Clipboard