Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've been trying to follow this the best I can to determine what and when will be next. That said, I think the FO may be playing possum. Everyone has their own opinion and I have mine about Garrett. Though thought of as the most talented player in the draft, the intangibles worry me greatly. You don't have to search very deep into scouting reports to see there's obvious questions about his lack of strength, the ability to shed blockers, and his documented issues of taking plays off. For a team that just went 1-15, should the #1 overall pick be used on such a player?

Stock piling draft picks opens many doors for draft day trades or regular trades for that fact. I think the FO is doing just that. As with last year, I expect them to be active on draft day trading up and/or down to get the players they want. I still think Haden is on the block too and the Browns are certainly looking for another second rounder next year for the oft injured Haden. I also think they are silently shopping the #1 overall to get for sure another first rounder next year and additional picks this year.

Keep in mind, the Browns were 31st against the run last year and a result we have seen yearly since the team returned. One guy, Garrett is not going to change that especially since run defense is one of his weakest areas. Now I know some will say but he's a sack machine and he might be. However, what do we do about the 47.8% of the plays teams run against us? Getting 3-4 picks for our #1 overall would certainly go a lot further in fixing our defense than 1 edge rusher with worrisome intangibles IMO.

I think the FO is looking at these analytics and a contemplating a move. The other reason for stocking these draft picks is to go after Darnold in 2018. I see two teams that will have very rough years in 2017. First, Chicago who I believe will be weak and will easily offer a #2 for Haden due to their defensive issues which will be end up being a high second rounder. Second is the Jets especially if they sign Cutler or Romo. That will turn their attention to defense and they would mortgage the house for Garrett and still only win a few games in 2017.

One final word on Garrett, he has a very similar background as former 1st round pick Vernon Gholston. Gholston was drafted by the New York Jets sixth overall in the 2008 NFL Draft. Gholston declared for the 2008 NFL Draft and was projected as a top 10 pick. He tied the highest bench press score at the NFL combine with 37 repetitions at 225 pounds (102 kg; 16.1 st). Gholston was one of two players to record a quarterback sack against two-time consensus All-American and 2008 NFL Draft number one overall selection Jake Long in Long's NCAA career. Gholston was invited to attend the 2008 NFL Draft in New York. He was expected to play outside linebacker in the Jets' 3-4 defense with the Jets citing his speed, strength and “long limbs,” believing they had found the perfect outside pass rusher and sack artist for their defense.

However, Gholston did not play much his rookie season after being expected to start. He saw time mainly on special teams, totaling 13 tackles, 5 solo. In his second year, Gholston was mostly a minor contributor under new coach Rex Ryan's defense. During the 2009 season, he tallied 17 tackles (12 solo and 2 tackles for loss). Following the 2009 season, Gholston converted from outside linebacker to his more-familiar defensive end position.

Gholston was released by New York on March 2, 2011 after three seasons with the team — a time in which he recorded zero sacks (while, according to ESPN, over 600 other players recorded at least one). He has widely been considered one of the biggest busts in the history of the draft.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
After the draft will be key for a Brock trade if there is one.

Some team isn't ganna (or does) get the QB they want. And might consider rolling with Brock as a bridge to next year. Or as a backup (at half his salary)

I'm to the point that I'm "ok" with him starting this year if we aren't ganna start a Rookie.

I'd rather Brock throwing (slightly innacurate) bombs to Coleman then Kessler dink and dunking until we punt.

How hilarious would it be though if Houston paid us a 2nd rounder and Brock came here and wasn't terrible?

Hehe...what if he studs out? Think how Houston and the FO bashers of the board are going to look and feel!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Like, he doesn't even have to be "good"

Just be "not terrible"?

He was not terrible, bordering on good, in Denver.

Figure out how to get back there.

(Also, please don't start Kessler)

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

You know what I find funny, if it wasn't so sad? There's not one player listed thats even close to Garrett. Not One. Yet a few on here keep pushing the same old worn out excuse about Garrett. Who's a close second? Allen? No chance, not after the combine, now he's not even top 5. I would say Thomas but on a scale of 1-10 and Garrett being ten...Thomas might make 7. So you all can keep trashing Garrett all you want. And there's no way were trading down out of the #1 pick either.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
I would hope they would not trade down but take Garrett @ #1 and Trubisky @ #12 ... But I will play with what I think these guys will do ...

These guys love picks and are looking to get that franchise QB, and if they don't see that QB in this draft I look for them to trade out of #1, and I look for them to deal with as you suggested,Tennessee, Now I believe if they do this they are looking towards next years draft and Acquiring Sam Darnold, now if they do this they will be asking for this years #5 pick, this years 2 #3's 19 and 36 along with next years #1, which means IMO they will take the best Defensive player available among Solomon Thomas, Malik Hooker, Derek Barnett, and Jamal Adams, and they will take OJ Howard at #12, (unless one of those 4 fall to 12), Which will help Cody Kessler who will be our starter in 2017, remember what Hue said "TRUST ME "...
thumbsup

I know this would make most of the Browns fandom's heads explode but I'd love this scenario. In a draft class this deep, the more picks the better and adding to next year's round 1 would be genius. I just don't thik that there's anyone that's going to be that sold on Garrett to pay that sort of price. I'm content if they draft him, but there's something in the back of my mind that says he's not going to succeed at the next level. That is a total WAG but it just a feeling I have.

Last in, first out, the sign of a true champion!
[Linked Image from i301.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
If they even consider trading the #1 pick (don't)

There are only two offers I would except.

Tennessee: #5, #18, 2018 1st, 2017 2nd, 2018 2nd

Or

New England: Jimmy Garrapolo and all their picks for the next 2 drafts.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well, I went out on a limb and stated my opinion and I see your another know-it-all draft knick wink. We'll see how this works out. We don't need more picks, we need Impact picks. Were not gonna keep all we draft this year either.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
B
Legend
Legend
B
To me the fact that Bill wants Garrett is reason enough to keep him.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
This will likely lead to other future moves similar to the Osweiler trade.

Doubt it. Wouldn't be surprised if "unofficially" the league told us to knock that crap off.

The league approved the trade right away. I don't think that they had any problem with it at all.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
A new way of doing business has entered the league, and we lead the way.

I think you will see more trades like this and I think you will see more teams start pulling offers if the player walks from the table.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Peen.. that's exactly why I made this post. I'm glad to see the exchanges that it's had. I felt it was important that we begin to adjust our thinking. I'm actually pretty impressed w PastorMarcs post, I think he stands a fair chance being spot on...

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
E
Legend
Legend
E
I think there is a time and place for everything.

Last year was not really a strong draft class. Also we were in a rebuild mold and loaded the team up with rookies 19 on the roster.

This year I think is different - the draft class is very solid especially in certain positional groups.

The odds are they will wheel and deal with some of our picks.

But I'm sure they will make an algorithm showing at a certain point how many rookies will be expected to make the roster cuts in year two of the rebuild.

In lieu of that I think they will continue to move up to pick up a player they wish to target for us. 3 into the 2nd maybe a 2nd into a first and so on and so on...eliminating the Quantity of picks to quality.

Also I think in the Moneyball concept we will continue to draft players that have proven to be OVER ACHIEVERS.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
This is interesting to witness. We all know what we've done the last year plus.

In FA we were responsibly aggressive. Inking Bitonio. Hitting on Zeitler and Britt. And finding our new starting Center.

Excellent moves knowing this is a weak OL draft. Going hard after Jefferson means the weakest parts of this team were identified.

Now. We missed on Jefferson. Still a serious hole. The draft is solid at Safety and CB.

Is it time to make moves for Quality over Quantity?

I think that's exactly what we are thinking. And we're NOT thinking about loading up even more for 2018 picks and one of the QBs that we don't even know if they will come out.

We're taking GARRETT at 1.

I'm watching the Jets at 6. They're going full bore rebuild. I'd bet anything they move down. Accumulation of picks. They need it like we did last year.

Watch if we don't make the move to 6 and snag Hooker ahead of San Diego. Because we have the ammo to do it.

Last edited by kwhip; 03/24/17 10:32 AM.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Like, he doesn't even have to be "good"

Just be "not terrible"?

He was not terrible, bordering on good, in Denver.

Figure out how to get back there.

(Also, please don't start Kessler)

It has been published (I'll find it if people want me to) that he had a basic offense in Denver that allowed him to succeeed; and that he had a very complex offense in Houston that he didn't grasp onto as well, and thus didn't succeed. The offensive staff would just need to dumb down our offense if it is complex like Houstons.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I hope you're right Tab.

I really don't take much away from last year. Depodesta had only been here a short time and it was reported he didn't have a lot of input into the draft.

For better or worse I believe we will see what will more closely resemble the pattern we will follow. I also like your comment about how their strategy may change depending on the quality of individual drafts. It's always nice to have the hope that they are willing to change their strategy depending on the circumstances.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
In theory they should not be predictable. They hired a strategist who they paid big dollars.

I cannot wait until the day where time between the super bowl and training camp means absolutely nothing! Baseball actually becomes fun!

I hope analytics is not the biggest thing this group is known. Drafting many players over a few drafts is not a new concept. Maybe they discover what New England, Baltimore, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh learned long ago stay focus on a concept and build around it.

If anything, I like seeing the Browns become very efficiently run. Coach and player changes do not disrupt the order. Organization ahead of the curve adapting to changes and trends.

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown
Well, I went out on a limb and stated my opinion and I see your another know-it-all draft knick wink. We'll see how this works out. We don't need more picks, we need Impact picks. Were not gonna keep all we draft this year either.

I'm definitely more a "know-it-some". I completely respect your opinion I'm just looking at it as 2 A level players, for this team, is greater than 1 A+ player. That won't always be true, but I think it is right now. As for the player himself, I have nothing against Garrett other than a feeling, and I wholeheartedly admit that, that's no way to run a program.

Last in, first out, the sign of a true champion!
[Linked Image from i301.photobucket.com]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
Peen.. that's exactly why I made this post. I'm glad to see the exchanges that it's had. I felt it was important that we begin to adjust our thinking. I'm actually pretty impressed w PastorMarcs post, I think he stands a fair chance being spot on...

He is, and i see it that way. Add in the offset language with Brock signing a deal for say 5 mil, and we got a haul for $3 mil.

With this crew, you can't think the old.

There is a new Sheriff in town, turning pages never turned.

But hey, to some they are just the Harvard "boys" who don't know what they are doing.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I hope you're right Tab.

I really don't take much away from last year. Depodesta had only been here a short time and it was reported he didn't have a lot of input into the draft.

For better or worse I believe we will see what will more closely resemble the pattern we will follow. I also like your comment about how their strategy may change depending on the quality of individual drafts. It's always nice to have the hope that they are willing to change their strategy depending on the circumstances.

I like to play chess. A great game.

If you go in with a plan and aren't willing or able to change as the board changes, you aren't going to win. You have to think 3-4-5 moves ahead. The really good players, they are calculating moves 10 moves down the road.

"Let's see if I can pull him here?"

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
You talk a lot of smack when the guys you are championing just came off of a 1 and 15 season.

I have no problem w/you liking them, but making fun of those who question them is pretty freaking lame.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
You talk a lot of smack when the guys you are championing just came off of a 1 and 15 season.

I have no problem w/you liking them, but making fun of those who question them is pretty freaking lame.

edited by me. smile

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/24/17 09:31 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Go make another Trump sucks post.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown
j/c

You know what I find funny, if it wasn't so sad? There's not one player listed thats even close to Garrett. Not One.

The MORE times I keep hearing comments like this, the MORE SURE I get That he's going to bust like a size 2 shirt on a Hawaiian tropic super model!

There hasn't been a sure thing, and there surely ain't no sure thing that everybody keeps telling you is the only sure thing.
Tell me I'm wrong in 20 months, hope I am.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Sure things....death and taxes....hope we take THE EDGE RUSHER and he works out....ie, not C. Brown....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
When you have the #1 pick, and there is a "sure thing"

You take him. It doesn't matter if he busts.

It's still the right choice.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, talking about sure things...Andrew Luck, he's been good, but got hurt, team around him hasn't remained good....he was sure thing and it's just middle of road....build team, we need great players AND good players...hope our OL stays healthy, because if they do our O should be lots better...including ANY QB we start....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Maybe we draft Garrett with the intent of trading him to Tennessee if the player we want is still on the board at #5, using Garrett as insurance.

If the player is there we do the trade and gain an extra first round pick this year, else Garrett remains a Brown.

You never, know.....

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We need a top QB no doubt but there doesn't seem to be one, at least on paper, in this draft. I would hate to take a QB at #12 when there may be a higher rated player still on the board. We've passed on talent too many other times for more picks and it hasn't worked out thus far. I agree with building the team now and maybe get our QB next year when the talent looks better.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
When you pointed out on base percentage as a key baseball stat in analytics I almost immediately thought the football equivalent stat would be 3rd down conversion percentage, maybe.

Yeah that could be huge. What receivers/runners most often convert on 3rd down. Or which players on defense make tackles on 3rd down before the first down marker.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I would not be surprised if they began to analyze film and begin to create their own stats.

With film,some known values,and some creative software you could easily create measurements for "average gap on a defender" for WR's - for example - and then run that new tool against any ALL-22 film you can get your hands on - college and pro. You could churn through film and quickly identify guys that know how to get open.

Big Data can answer questions you didn't even think to ask.

I agree 100%. They are going to use big data to learn anything and everything they can. Then they will try to find the key parts in football that are undervalued.

Legend
Legend
Can we also still go after the key parts of football that everyone values?

Good players?

Winning?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I wasn't making fun of anybody. I think they are making good moves.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M

Good players?

Winning?

So you think the goal is to use analytics for finding average players? And losing?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Good players?

Winning?

So you think the goal is to use analytics for finding average players? And losing?

Clearly.

Or.

When someone says that we are going to look into "undervalued" aspects, I question if we might focus too much on that.

Trying to do it differently is fine. As long as you still use the aspects that everyone knows work along the way.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Good players?

Winning?

Clearly.

Or.

When someone says that we are going to look into "undervalued" aspects, I question if we might focus too much on that.

Trying to do it differently is fine. As long as you still use the aspects that everyone knows work along the way.

We still have scouts, so what acpects are you talking about?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I wasn't talking just about players.

I was also being slightly sarcastic.

I just don't want the FO to get a case of "smartest guy in the room" and think they don't have to do certain things the "right" way.

Nothing specific. Just generally.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Zeitler and Tretter are signings the rest of the league would agree are good.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Browns26

Yes, however it is a "Browns' signing" and like all Browns' signings there is always the "Other Shoe" factor. So you bring up an interesting question.

Will Tretter, for example, be able to remain on the field? (Bentley and Brown were good signings too.) Like any signing, we'll have to wait and see whether these ultimately work out or not. For us fans, the "Phycology of Willful Blindness" comes into play. Because of that, we have "hope" luck in in our favor. That's always a reach. For the past almost two decades, we've not been able to put enough "smart decisions" together to override the occasional run of bad luck that hits every team. Instead, poor decisions (draft & FA) augmented by bad luck usually combine to decimate the team and the season. This year will be a crucial step in overcoming that pattern, IMHO. If Tretter were to go down, (for example) will we have a plan in place that will allow us to overcome that type of loss? (Like drafting a center in the later rounds, or making sure there is a viable backup in place.) We'd better, or it could just end up being SSDY.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Originally Posted By: Browns26

Yes, however it is a "Browns' signing" and like all Browns' signings there is always the "Other Shoe" factor. So you bring up an interesting question.

Will Tretter, for example, be able to remain on the field? (Bentley and Brown were good signings too.) Like any signing, we'll have to wait and see whether these ultimately work out or not. For us fans, the "Phycology of Willful Blindness" comes into play. Because of that, we have "hope" luck in in our favor. That's always a reach. For the past almost two decades, we've not been able to put enough "smart decisions" together to override the occasional run of bad luck that hits every team. Instead, poor decisions (draft & FA) augmented by bad luck usually combine to decimate the team and the season. This year will be a crucial step in overcoming that pattern, IMHO. If Tretter were to go down, (for example) will we have a plan in place that will allow us to overcome that type of loss? (Like drafting a center in the later rounds, or making sure there is a viable backup in place.) We'd better, or it could just end up being SSDY.

You are no doubt correct that we have work to do...I'd add that those two signings did exactly what you were looking for on the interior of the OL. Reiter and Fabiano just became our backup Cs and Grecco just became our swing G. If 2-of-3 recover from injuries - which is expected - I'd say we are set at those 3 spots even without drafting a mid-Rd C...given that we have two of those type of guys already.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
fingerscrossed

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What did the Analytics know and when did they know it?

Link Copied to Clipboard