Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The way I'm looking at this draft, I feel like we just need to go BPA, and we're going to fill a hole pretty much regardless of who's available when we pick. I don't think there's a need to "trade up", unless it's for a ridiculously cheap price. And I don't think there's a need to "reach" for a guy because we want a body in that position. The draft is deep enough. We'll get an impact guy.

I'm just curious what everyone's top 12 are? By the time we get to the 12th pick, one of those guys should be available. Most likely, someone above us will reach on another player, and we can grab someone higher on the list. Who's your top 12?

Mine:

1) Myles Garrett DE - Consensus #1
2) Jonathan Allen DT - I've heard reports he's dropping because of the combine. If we get him at #12, I'll be a tripod.
3) Solomon Thomas DE - Only a slight downgrade over Garret
4) Jamal Adams S - Would be great to finally have an Ed Reed/Polamalu type on our team for once.
5) Malik Hooker S - See above
6) Marshon Lattimore CB - We need the DB help
7) Reuben Foster ILB - Would be nice to have a beast MLB
8) O.J. Howard TE - My top offensive guy. Would give us a huge weapon
9) Derek Barnett DE - Not quite as good as the other Defensive guys, but up there
10) Leonard Fournette RB - Not a big fan of RBs on Day 1, but he's pretty good still.
11) Mike Williams WR - People forget that he was probably the best guy on the field in the Nat Championship.
12) Mitchell Trubisky QB - If all other options above are gone, then I'm fine with Trubisky over the other QBs. We just need to sit him for a year! No more tossing our young project QBs to the wolves and watching them die.

P
Legend
Legend
P
1. Myles Garrett Texas A&M DE/OLB
2. Solomon Thomas Stanford DE
3. Malik Hooker Ohio State FS/SS
4. Jamal Adams Jr LSU SS 1
5. Marshon Lattimore Ohio State CB
6. Jonathan Allen Alabama DT/DE
7. Reuben Foster Alabama ILB
8. Derek Barnett Tennessee DE/OLB
9. Leonard Fournette LSU RB
10. O.J. Howard Alabama TE
11. Mitch Trubisky North Carolina QB
12. Corey Davis Western Michigan WR

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Myles
Barnett
Hooker
Fournette
Allen
Howard
Thomas
Lattimore
Adams
Lamp
Mcdowell
Robinson

That's not adjusted to our needs or anything just top grades total and I haven't studied the wrs enough yet but I suspect 1 may jump up for me.

Last edited by predator16; 03/27/17 11:42 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1. Myles Garrett, Texas A&M, DE
2. Solomon Thomas, Stanford, DE
3. Jamal Adams, LSU, SS
4. Malik Hooker, Ohio State, FS
5. Jonathan Allen , AlabamaDT/DE
6. Marshon Lattimore, Ohio State,CB
7. O.J. Howard, Alabama,TE
8. Derek Barnett*, Tennessee, DE
9. Taco Charlton*, Michigan, DE
10. Reuben Foster,  Alabama,  LB
11. Haason Riddick, Temple,  LB
12. Leonard Fournette, LSU, RB

(*) denotes not in play with MG @1.
Leading to the 'sacred position mulligan' open for debate ... Trubisky or Mahomes.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 03/27/17 02:49 PM.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
No particular order. Just 12.

Myles Garrett, Texas A&M, DE
Jamal Adams, LSU, SS
Malik Hooker, Ohio State, FS
Jonathan Allen , Alabama, DT
Marshon Lattimore, Ohio St, CB
Leonard Fournette, LSU, HB
Derek Barnett, Tennessee, DE
Dalvin Cook, Florida St, HB
Solomon Thomas, Stanford, DE
O.J. Howard, Alabama, TE
Reuben Foster, Alabama, LB
Marlon Humphrey, Alabama, CB

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I feel like there are a good 20 players that deserve to go in the top 10. To me it's just an amazing draft(minus QBs). If we didn't need a QB then this is one of those rare drafts I would trade a lot of future picks to pick up picks in the top 15.

Here are my favorites:

Myles Garrett
Hands down the best over all pick.
---------------------------------

Jonathan Allen
Malik Hooker
Jamaal Adams
O.J. Howard
Solomon Thomas

These top 5 are bona fide starters day 1 and will be probowlers. They are zero risk players.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Leonard Fournette
Derek Barnett
Reuben Foster
Marshon Lattimore
Dalvin Cook
Marlon Humphrey
Mike Williams
Forrest Lamp
Cam Robinson
Jabrill Peppers

These guys are all going to be starters in this league and very likely make some probowls too. All worth the pick at #12 IMHO
------------------------------------------------------

Taco Charlton
Garett Bolles
Corey Davis
Caleb Brantley
Haason Reddick
Christian McCaffrey
Zach Cunningham
Sidney Jones
Ryan Ramczyk
Gareon Conley

These guys will all be starters and some might make a probowl and are guys I would move back into the lower part of the first to get.
---------------------------------------

As we all know needs will often displace talent for some teams. ANY QB taken in round 1 is a reach based on need. Those I would roll the dice for somewhere in round 1 and probably at 12(while they held me down in protest)?

Mitchell Trubisky because even though he lacks experience he has nice skills and a bit of polish to him. I think he is most likely to start day 1.

Pat Mahomes because he has the raw talent to become a great QB for a team willing to let him take the time to improve before he starts.

I really can't stomach the idea of any other QBs in round 1. Desean and Kizer could both surprise us though. IF a smart coach takes Desean and uses him in a short passing WCO he could find some success if they give him big WRs who have high vertical jumps. Still I think he is the Tim Tebow of this draft. Kizer has major maturity issues that could impede his growth but he has the arm talent to be viable if he can buckle down and be coached. Pick 33 could go to either of these guys and they might even move up a few spots to take them in the first to have that 5 year contract.

Sorry its more than my top 12 ^^

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1. Garret
2. Hooker
3. Mike Williams
4. Watson
5. Trubisky
6. Howard
7. Thomas
8. Adams
9. Fournette
10. Davis
11. Allen
12. TJ Watt

Let the sh*t storm begin.

I'm sorry, Lattimore went to freaking Germany to have experimental treatment done on his hamstrings.....they are such a problem that when he reportedly had hammy issues at the combine he made it a point to come out and tweet that it was a "hip flexor".

This guy couldn't stay on the field at OSU until after his hammy experiment....stay away. Amazing talent, but he is a gigantic risk.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
List your top 12.

lists 20+ players.....bro

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: BpG
List your top 12.

lists 20+ players.....bro

I don't think there is a clear top 12 because of the large amount of talent so I organized it differently. This is by far one of the most talented drafts in a while. It's just not that talented in our two biggest needs which is RT and QB.

I clarified which players are best for the top 12 picks though and I think that is clear enough to meet the goals of this thread. For instance if any of those top 5 players fell to 8-12 range it's a no brainer to trade up and pick them IMHO and of course we take Garret at #1. If none of those top 5 can be had then I show which ones are ok to take at 12. I just go one step further and add those I think are worth trading up from 33 to the first round for. No big deal.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
O.K. let me take a shot at this.....

1. Garrett, potential is through the roof, even if I do have concerns.
2. Marshon Lattimore, best at a deep position
3. Solomon Thomas, Motor, motor, motor
4. Derek Bennett, Probably like him more then most
5. Jamal Adams, leadership, production
6. Malik Hooker, would be higher but concern over his injury
7. Christian McCaffery, Could be the safest prospect in this draft, effects the running game, pass game, and return game
8. Fournette, love his running style, would be higher if he caught the ball better
9. Johnathan Allen, would be higher if it wasn't for the shoulders
10. Obi Melinfonwu, potential, potential, potential
11. Evan Engram, think this guy is gonna be a match up nightmare and really produce
12A. Hason Reddick, Really like this kid
12B. Kevin King, also really like this kid

Probably some different guys on there then most would have, but I've never been one to follow the consensus. I've always gone with what I see not what the media, draft experts, or others tell me to see.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I thought it was an insightful post anyway. No need to stick to the "rules". grin

I agree with what you're saying. This is such a deep draft, I don't really think we need to "reach" for a QB just because we want one. Chances are there will be a decent one still there at the top of the second round.

I'm curious who people have in their top(ish) 12 though, as I feel like guys in people's 6-10 range will still be available when we pick at #12. I'd rather nab that guy rather than reach for a QB.

F
All Pro
All Pro
F
I'd rather nab that guy rather than reach for a QB.

I agree.

And the next head coach is ......
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
thank you for the kind words =)

I think most of us agree about the QB situation. If that mock by casserly came to be true it would put me in over the moon =)

I tell you I love the top 12 talent of this draft so much if our Front office tried to trade up from the second round to get one and then try to move back into at the end of the round again I would fully support that idea. This much talent in a draft is just so dang gone rare.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:
I tell you I love the top 12 talent of this draft so much if our Front office tried to trade up from the second round to get one and then try to move back into at the end of the round again I would fully support that idea. This much talent in a draft is just so dang gone rare.

And exactly the reason I don't see a team at the top selecting a so-so QB prospect early. It would be foolish to reach and pass over a really good player when you could wait until late 1st round, early 2nd round before any of those guys should be selected.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
i agree ball but those teams at the top sometimes draft poorly ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Nice thread.

Here are my top 12 as of right now. My board isn't done and it is liquid, but for right now:

1. Myles Garrett [unquestioned]

2. Malik Hooker [Ed Reed/Earl Thomas mix]

3. Solomon Thomas [Dy-no-Mite!]

4. Jamal Adams [Physical playmaker]

5. Marshon Lattimore [tremendous upside due to outrageous athleticism]

6. Derek Barnett [puts up the numbers to support the hype]

7. Haason Reddick [not as well known as some others, but I love his skill set]

8. Jonathan Allen [very productive]

9. Zach Cunningham [most versatile LBer in the draft. Really moving up my board]

10. Corey Davis [most complete WR in the draft]

11. Reuben Foster [scary...I could drop him later]

12. Taco Charlton [my biggest sleeper]

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
And exactly the reason I don't see a team at the top selecting a so-so QB prospect early. It would be foolish to reach and pass over a really good player when you could wait until late 1st round, early 2nd round before any of those guys should be selected.

I liken this draft very much to the 2014 draft, where there were several 'so-so' QBs available. Most were rated as late first round/second round picks, yet people were still saying we should take Johnny Manziel or Teddy Bridgewater #4, just ... because.

So what happened? Jacksonville "reached" on Blake Bortles (and that hasn't turned out well for them either), and then most of QBs slipped to the later part of the first round. We then arguably panic traded up to 21 and grabbed Manziel. Rumor had it that the coaches were just fine with Derek Carr. Had we just stood pat, we could of very easily taken a guy like Jason Verrett or Kelvin Benjamin (who were actually worth their draft spot) and had Carr fall into our laps in the second round.

I think we're just better off letting the draft come to us, take the best player on your board when we do pick and if it happens to be a QB, then go for it. There's 4 decent project QBs available, and it's likely at least one will fall to us in the second. If they aren't a consensus #1 pick, they aren't going to be an immediate franchise savior. There's no need to over-draft one just hoping for a miracle.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I get your point, but I think the QBs in the 2014 class had talent and were way better QBs than this year's class.

This year's class reminds me the one w/Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder. I think it was 2011. Maybe 2010.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I get your point, but I think the QBs in the 2014 class had talent and were way better QBs than this year's class.

This year's class reminds me the one w/Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder. I think it was 2011. Maybe 2010.

2011 Draft:

#1 Cam Newton
# 8 Jake Locker
#10 Blaine Gabbert
#12 Christian Ponder

Scary huh!

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yep.

Legend
Legend
So if we take one of them at #1 they will become league MVP and get us to a SB?

Just using everyone else's correlation logic.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
V
Legend
Legend
V
That wasn't the logic at all.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
That wasn't the logic at all.

Jimmy G will suck because NE backups suck.

Drafting someone at #1 means they will be good because someone that was drafted at #1 was good.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think you are misunderstanding me.

What I am trying to convey is that I think the talent of this qb class resembles that particular class. I wasn't trying to say that it will turn out that way. I just think that some guys are being overvalued because there really aren't sure-fire guys in this class.

Legend
Legend
Oh no I understand you fine.

I was taking a dig at certain (other) people's logic as it relates to player circumstances, and how that effects how good someone will be.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Ooopppps..............my bad.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
lmao

Legend
Legend
1 Myles Garrett DE Texas A&M
2 Jonathan Allen DT Alabama
3 Malik Hooker FS Ohio State
4 Solomon Thomas DT Stanford
5 Jamal Adams SS LSU
6 O.J. Howard TE Alabama
7 Marshon Lattimore CB Ohio State
8 Reuben Foster ILB Alabama
9 Leonard Fournette RB LSU
10 Mike Williams WR Clemson
11 Cam Robinson OT Alabama
12 Corey Davis WR Western Michigan

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
They say that Mixon is the best RB, So do you think that Fournette is rated above him or is it because of Mixon's past?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown
They say that Mixon is the best RB, So do you think that Fournette is rated above him or is it because of Mixon's past?

I like Mixon, I like Fournette better. I'd rather he be someone else's problem though.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown

Who is "they"? Fournette has been the highest rated running back in this class since he was a sophomore in high school.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
5 Jamal Adams SS LSU
6 O.J. Howard TE Alabama
I'll take Garrett and any of these

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
1 Jonathan Allen
2 Myles Garrett
3 Jamal Adams
4 Solomon Thomas
5 Marshon Lattimore
6 Leonard Fournette
7 O.J. Howard
8 Corey Davis
9 Derek Barnett
10 DeShaun Watson
11 David Njoku
12 Hassan Reddick

Legend
Legend
ed, do you really see watson and njoku that high?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm surprised that Malik Hooker is not in your top 12.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
He's definitely in my top 12, but I can understand why someone would leave him out. He's not a good tackler and makes some false steps in the run game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
5 Jamal Adams SS LSU
6 O.J. Howard TE Alabama

Garrett & Hooker, then find a way to trade back up and take Foster.
Call it a day.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
5 Jamal Adams SS LSU
6 O.J. Howard TE Alabama

That's kind of what I'm looking for. I think there's plenty of talent in the top 12, so no need to reach for something. I think too often we reach, trying to get guys for fear that we might miss out on them later. Just let the draft come to us and take the best guy.

I'm actually thinking we should do what the Raiders did a few years ago. Take the best WR or TE at #12 and then take whichever QB prospect is left in Round 2. It worked with the Raiders. They got Cooper in the first and Carr in the second. Carr succeeded in large part to having Cooper and other weapons in place around him when he started.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
5 Jamal Adams SS LSU
6 O.J. Howard TE Alabama

Garrett & Hooker, then find a way to trade back up and take Foster.
Call it a day.
that's a coup

Legend
Legend
actually they drafted Mack the year they drafted Carr. Cooper was the next year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Who are the top 12 guys on your "Draft Board"

Link Copied to Clipboard