Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I like this pick-up when we made it. One of the few bright spots last year, IMO.

Jamar Taylor most improved cornerback of 2016

Cleveland got good value in a trade with the Dolphins last off-season.
by Josh Edwards

Jamar Taylor was the most improved cornerback in 2016 according to Pro Football Focus.

The Cleveland Browns cornerback was the No. 106 cornerback during the 2015 season with the Miami Dolphins with a grade of 36.7 on a scale to 100. Last season, he was the No. 19 cornerback with a grade of 82.8 - an increase of 46.1.

"Taylor was sent from Miami to Cleveland via swapping seventh-rounders during the 2016 NFL Draft. A key reason why he showed such drastic improvement had to do with how he was deployed. With the Dolphins, Taylor played only 5 percent of snaps in the slot. In Cleveland, he spent 32 percent of his snaps there. Because of this, he found more success shutting down out routes (51.3 passer rating allowed), slants (62.5), and crossing routes (48.8). After finding himself ranked 106th overall among CBs in 2015, Taylor emerged as our 19th-ranked CB in 2016."

The Browns have done a great job of facilitating trades. They need to capitalize on acquired Draft choices.

The California native had 57 tackles and three interceptions last season. He, like other returning defenders, will have to go through an off-season of coaching changes, however. Gregg Williams is the team's newest defensive coordinator while DeWayne Walker and Jerod Kruse will lead the defensive backs.

Taylor is expected to start with Joe Haden next season. The cornerback position is a popular position of need for the Browns in mock draft scenarios though.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
that's good stuff.

let's hope he continues to improve. Him and Haden will hopefully improve with the front 7 improving this offseason after the draft.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Legend
Legend
C
Hopefully we can continue to see improvement under the same defensive coaching staff. . .

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
i think Taylor is young and will get better. not so sure about joe. after we take mg I think free safety and cb should be the next draft priorities.

Legend
Legend
I was surprised by him last year ... he and shelton and kirksey were bright spots

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
1st String
1st String
H
According to article he plays great in the slot, and that's why he did good here.
Get a rookie that can step into #2 corner, or even better slide joe #2. Pair those with Taylor in the slot, not too bad.
But the safeties are horrible. Best hope is we get 1 starter from draft, and get more pressure to help the safeties

Legend
Legend
We could argue that we have solid 3man depth at CB
Haden, Taylor, Boddy.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Haden, Taylor, Boddy.

Taylor and Boddy are nickel/Dime CB's we still need a #1 or #2 to team with Haden ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Haden, Taylor, Boddy.

Haden hasn't been good since 2014. We shouldn't be relying on him for much.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Haden, Taylor, Boddy.

I wouldn't be surprised though, that if we started winning, his injury occurances started going down..

I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Haden, Taylor, Boddy.

Except to run scared from AFCN WR's 4 times a year.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Haden, Taylor, Boddy.

I wouldn't be surprised though, that if we started winning, his injury occurances started going down..

I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying..

The injuries he's had have been pretty legit. It's hard to play with/come back from injuries. They explain a lot more about his poor play than us losing. We have sucked for his entire time with the team, why would he just randomly stop playing hard the past two seasons?

Legend
Legend
i forgot how much people dislike haden around here.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Swish

I like Haden have defended him a lot over the years, but he has not been good for the last two years (because of injuries). My guess is that not many players return to All-Proish form after being down for multiple seasons.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Haden's a nice dude. He could be a good #2 now. We just gotta find #1.

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

I like Haden have defended him a lot over the years, but he has not been good for the last two years (because of injuries). My guess is that not many players return to All-Proish form after being down for multiple seasons.

I'm betting we see a resurgence in his production, if he's healthy, under Gregg Williams. He's only 27. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

I'm betting we see a resurgence in his production, if he's healthy, under Gregg Williams. He's only 27. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

I'm not writing him off, I'm also not expecting his old levels of performance.

Legend
Legend
It's hard (impossible) to play Defensive Back in the NFL when your team generates literally no pass rush.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
It's hard (impossible) to play Defensive Back in the NFL when your team generates literally no pass rush.

And you are injured.

2013 and 2014 were Haden's best season. He was very good. We ranked 16th in sacks in 2013 and 27th in 2014.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Its hard to play CB with groin injuries.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19

I believe that he had groin tears on each side.

Hard to walk with that, let alone play football.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19

I believe that he had groin tears on each side.

Hard to walk with that, let alone play football.

Yeah, he posted up on Twitter that his groin surgery went "great" so hopefully he'll be back to somewhat of his former self. I remember that play he was covering AJ Green and leaped up to the moon it seemed and came down with that INT. Incredible. He's had others, hopefully we can get him back to playing like THAT!

*EDIT*

Duh, and as for Taylor... that's awesome! thumbsup

He's a scrappy corner with speed. I think he can improve too. As mentioned though, all our CBs look good if we could generate pressure and make QBs uncomfortable.

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 04/05/17 06:22 PM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I wasn't too sure about the pickup at the time, but it appears to have been a good one. Our secondary still needs one more starter, but we're getting there.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Good job sashi up and coming cb for 7th round pick.

Last edited by jacksondawg; 04/05/17 06:45 PM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jacksondawg
and i think we just exchanged 7th rounders

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
The Fins used the pick from Cleveland to draft Brandon Doughty, QB, currently their 3rd string QB.

The Browns got Taylor and used the pick on Scooby Wright who last season got 2 assisted tackles in 3 games with the Cards.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
This is why I like Tre'Davious White so much. He thrives in man against smaller outside wrs which is definitely hadens weakness. If haden can regain any form we could be decent with those 3 and boddy as reserve.

Legend
Legend

I agree... I think our secondary looks much better with the addition of Garrett...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
The Fins used the pick from Cleveland to draft Brandon Doughty, QB, currently their 3rd string QB.

The Browns got Taylor and used the pick on Scooby Wright who last season got 2 assisted tackles in 3 games with the Cards.
thanks w8

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: jaybird

I agree... I think our secondary looks much better with the addition of Garrett...

I agree. Our pass rush last year was terrible, embarrassing at times. . I think Haden doesn't get enough credit, frankly. We get a guy like Garrett, have last year's rookies like Ogbah develop and start putting big heat on the QB, our CBs will look better. Still need safety help though.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Tre is nice, but I'm not sure we he can cover the bigger WRs in the NFL. I'm not sure Haden can do it either. I need a corner who is a complete package, not just dominant on the outside.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We need a larger corner to pair with Haden. There are certain receivers he matches well against (Green) and other he does not (Brown)

Given the colors., White is the logical choice.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
I think that he was a real steal. Even if he can only cover the slot, he can do so very well. Heck, he only cost us a swap of 7th round picks, or something like that.

I look forward to see how some of our young DBs can do is we can actually generate a pass rush.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
agreed. Boddy, Taylor, and a rookie CB could be a decent secondary if our pressure is better

Legend
Legend
ANY pass rush and sacks make him even stronger. Horton's D was horrible and leads were wasted.

Pick it up some more JT! Good post, Swish!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
We had leads?

F
All Pro
All Pro
F
I hear that the Seahawks may be shopping Richard Sherman. We have the cap space. What if we were to acquire him. Any thoughts out there on what type of move that would make?

Haden on 1 side, Sherman on the other with Taylor manning the slot. Then address Safety in the draft.

And the next head coach is ......
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: FargoFan
I hear that the Seahawks may be shopping Richard Sherman. We have the cap space. What if we were to acquire him. Any thoughts out there on what type of move that would make?

Haden on 1 side, Sherman on the other with Taylor manning the slot. Then address Safety in the draft.

Sherman is a great, great player. But he has only had success in Seattle playing a certain type of way and is 29 years old. I would not trade a high pick for him in our current situation.

Legend
Legend
by the time we'd be "good" (if) Sherman would be too old anyways

F
All Pro
All Pro
F
I was thinking more of a 2nd round pick than a 1st. I'd consider that. At 29 Sherman isn't over the hill.

And the next head coach is ......
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jamar Taylor most improved cornerback of 2016 (PFF)

Link Copied to Clipboard