Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
F
The QB-needy Browns' evaluation of the 2017 NFL Draft's top players at the position takes another turn on Friday, as they're reportedly hosting a signal-caller that some NFL teams believe is the best QB in this year's class.

Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes is visiting the team on Friday, per the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. Mahomes has already worked out for the team, so the Browns were intrigued enough to give him a second up-close look.

Two of 22 NFL clubs recently polled by NFL Network's Charley Casserly voted for Mahomes as the draft's top QB.

Cleveland, which holds the Nos. 1, 12 and 33 (Round 2) overall picks, has also visited with or worked out QBs DeShone Kizer (Notre Dame), Mitchell Trubisky (North Carolina) and Deshaun Watson (Clemson). The Browns also coached Davis Webb (Cal) at the Senior Bowl.

Those QBs, along with Mahomes, make up NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock's top 5 QBs in the 2017 draft.

There's no consensus about how many of those QBs will come off the board in Round 1, though. As Casserly suggests in his most recent mock draft, taking position players at picks 1 and 12, and then trading back into Round 1 for a QB, could be a tempting option for Cleveland.

Mahomes has been as busy as any prospect this spring with team visits and workouts. In fact, a starting NFL QB popped in to meet him during his visit with another AFC North team earlier this week

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...visiting-browns

And the next head coach is ......
Legend
Legend
please don't take him before 33 (he won't last that long). I want Garret and either Hooker, Adams, Foster, etc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
1st round is to high for this guy maybe 52 ... JMHO tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would rather draft Davis Webb than this guy ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like WEbb as an option at 33 but Mahomes will be an option for the Browns at 12. I know a lot dont want to hear that but This is a QB that is gonna check off a lot of Boxes for Hue Jackson, big arm, mobility, good size and if he can show that he can pick it up in the class room, HUe could play his QB card at pick 12 with Mahomes.

If Hooker is off the board, I go Mahomes.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Prediction: A lot of complaining coming about how we picked our QB too high, or picked the wrong QB.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
I would rather draft Davis Webb than this guy ... thumbsup
agreed

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
True +1

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
If Hue and the FO want to hitch their wagon to any QB in the first good luck to them. I hope it pans out as that player's fortune will be reflected in this regime's longevity.

Legend
Legend

First off I like Mahomes. He is a guy who could become very good.

At the same time there is no way he carries a first round grade. Does that mean he will not be drafted in the first round? No. Beauty is eye of the beholder. When it comes to quarterbacks many have been over drafted.

In this case there is no way I would move up to the first round to get Mahomes.

Many would most likely be against this but I would consider doing this:

Only if the Garoppolo deal fell through.

Take Trubisky at 12 and take Mahomes in the second round.

Let them battle. Washington did it with Griffin and Cousins. Crazy? Well now look.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Patrick Mahomes - QB - Player

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain believes if Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, or Mitchell Trubisky is available at pick No. 25, the Texans will "definitely" take one of the three.

This isn't really going out on a limb since Tony Romo's sudden retirement has put the Texans in a bind at quarterback. They definitely had their sights set on Romo if he was released by Dallas and wanted to continue playing. It's now on to Plan B, with Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden atop the depth chart. McClain would "love to see" the Texans grab Mahomes, but he notes his stock is "soaring.". The Texans must come away with a potential franchise passer early in the draft.

Related: Texans
Source: John McClain on Twitter Apr 7 - 12:51 PM

Legend
Legend
Quote:
stock is "soaring."

I still cannot understand how a player's stock "soars" when the football is done being played. Nothing more than a bunch of drummed up media noise to build drama & excitement, if you ask me. I think that if you have quality personnel guys, the Combine & Pro Days just confirm or blow up what you already know about a kid.... and if you don't have quality personnel guys, then they buy into this type of stock valuation.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My eyes tell me Mahomes is as physically gifted as any of the other top QB prospects. No doubt his mechanics are unorthodox but I think he knows he has flaws that have to be fixed to play at this level. He'll drive any coach crazy while he's learning to play the NFL game. I just honestly think his ceiling is higher than any of the other candidates. If you can put him in an offense where he can stay in the pocket more than he did in college he's shown that he can make plays from there. I think he's going a lot earlier than posters on here would take him.

If this offense wants a significant vertical element, Mahomes offers that.

I would take him if we could trade down near 20.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Problem is, if you think he is your guy, you better take him at 12 cause he could be gone to the cards at 13 or the texans in a trade up. If you want your QB gotta take him at 12, whether its Trubisky or Mahomes. Get your pass rusher at 1 and your QB at 12. I highly doubt we would consider Watson or Kizer there but I think Trubisky and Mahomes vs BPA is the big debate on thursday night.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Just to add, I believe a lot of these "media draft experts" learn a lot more the closer it gets to the draft. They learn that their boards were wrong. So rather than admit that, they use catch phrases like "they're stock is rising" or "they're soaring up the draft boards".

It's a lot better sounding than "I just learned some information that shows just how wrong I was".

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
F
Just so you all know. I am not pimping him. I just posted this as an FYI so all of you can see that the front office is doing their due diligence in bringing in all of the top candidates where they see holes.

Sashi and company want to see who fits their idea of a QB and pick the most qualified candidate.

And the next head coach is ......
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Just to add, I believe a lot of these "media draft experts" learn a lot more the closer it gets to the draft. They learn that their boards were wrong. So rather than admit that, they use catch phrases like "they're stock is rising" or "they're soaring up the draft boards".

It's a lot better sounding than "I just learned some information that shows just how wrong I was".

I suppose that could be the case, but I tend to go more with the Kiper model where they just arbitrarily move things around based upon which names are trending/being talked about in the public.... it ends up being a self-feeding thing. Guys like us on message boards and social media start throwing around a name; that name then gets thrown around more, next thing you know you are seeing lots of folks talking about that player --- his value hasn't risen at all. He is 99.999% likely to not be getting viewed ANY differently by actual teams than he was a month before, BUT, in the eyes of the NFL Draft Industry (and, yes, it IS an industry), his "value" is rising because he is generating interest, discussion, and web traffic.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
yep, he won't last to 33 IMO. if we like him, 12 is where you gotta do it

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Prpl, two others who I think are more realistic Rick Gosselin and Ourlad's. Rick posts a mock close to draft day. Ourlad's post a big board after the combine that isn't alter much.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Agreed. Look at this list where a QB could potentially be taken in the 1st round. If you want him, you'd better take him in the first. Even if that means trading back up into the teens or twenties to get him. If the QBs get past Arizona, they could start falling like dominoes once Denver gets on the board. JMHO

1. Cleveland Browns
2. San Francisco 49ers
3. Chicago Bears
6. New York Jets
7. Los Angeles Chargers
11. New Orleans Saints
12. Cleveland Browns (from Philadelphia Eagles)
13. Arizona Cardinals
20. Denver Broncos
23. New York Giants
25. Houston Texans
27. Kansas City Chiefs
30. Pittsburgh Steelers
32. New Orleans Saints (from Patriots)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Agreed. Look at this list where a QB could potentially be taken in the 1st round. If you want him, you'd better take him in the first. Even if that means trading back up into the teens or twenties to get him. If the QBs get past Arizona, they could start falling like dominoes once Denver gets on the board. JMHO

Yup, the NFL is gonna be searching for QBs really really soon. Lots of starters are getting old with no one in the wings to really replace them.

So guys will be going way too early.

I just don't care much for Mahomes

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I don't know many of these QB's might slide due to teams waiting for a much improved QB class next season. So you might see several teams trying to move down to get draft stock for next season.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
(IMO) If we and Arizona pass in a QB at 12/13.

I think they fall. Till late 20s/Early 2nd.

You might have one team with an older QB grab one, which could start a frenzy.

If not though, I'm not calling collusion or anything, it's just be every team deciding, yeah, let's get some talent and wait a round..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

1. Cleveland Browns
2. San Francisco 49ers
3. Chicago Bears
6. New York Jets
7. Los Angeles Chargers
11. New Orleans Saints
12. Cleveland Browns (from Philadelphia Eagles)
13. Arizona Cardinals
20. Denver Broncos
23. New York Giants
25. Houston Texans
27. Kansas City Chiefs
30. Pittsburgh Steelers
32. New Orleans Saints (from Patriots)

I would add the Redskins at 17 too.

[Linked Image]

D
Legend
Legend
D
Buffalo is clearly in the mix ... taylor has a 1 year deal ... there isn't a penny GAURANTEED for year two .. not one cent ... roster bonus in early March is first time money is owed ...

I'd also take Denver off ... no way are they giving up on Lynch after 1 year ..

Legend
Legend
Is Denver still riding with Siemien?

Last edited by Dawgs4Life; 04/09/17 06:04 AM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have a feeling that the Bills will be going with Cardle Jones next year.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My take is this, if you believe he is your franchise QB you take him at 12. You dont wait you dont try to trade back and get him later, you just take him.

Now if you dont believe he is a franchise QB, then you dont take a QB in the first period and probably not until the 3rd as just taking a guy is gonna set you back in so many ways.

You build the rest of your team and just go with a guy. Its why I think its stupid trading for a McCaron, he is just a guy.

I wouldnt even care if he is ready to be QB or not, he is gonna start if I see him as a franchise QB. You play him and protect him by running the hell out of the football and playing good defense.

bottom line, if you believe strongly enough you get him where u can. If you have a lot of doubts take players that you have no doubts about.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
My take is this, if you believe he is your franchise QB you take him at 12. You dont wait you dont try to trade back and get him later, you just take him.

If you believe he's a franchise QB, then you take him at #1.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It would take a hell of a lot of faith for me to pass on Garrett lol

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
...I would add the Redskins at 17 too.

I can't imagine Jay Gruden would be interested in taking a project QB at 17 when the franchise has some holes that could help him win games now.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: edromeo

I can't imagine Jay Gruden would be interested in taking a project QB at 17 when the franchise has some holes that could help him win games now.

Thats your opinion.

Others have the opinion of drafting for the future.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend

Thats your opinion.

Cousins is on the franchise tag.. drafting a QB at 17 isn't drafting for the future, it's drafting Cousins replacement... so if that's what they feel they need to do, then so be it. But when you haven't been more than 1 game over .500 in 4 years, you don't draft for too far out in the future..

yebat' Putin
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E

Thats your opinion.

we are all here giving our opinions. And you have a little misunderstanding of what I was saying.

I didn't say that they shouldn't draft a quarterback, in fact in the mock draft I have them taking a quarterback at 17. I said i cant imagine Jay taking a PROJECT quarterback. Especially one that is as much of a project as Mahomes at pick 17.

I saw what happened w/ Griffin and Jay in terms of patience and grooming and Jay wanted no part of it. So I can't imagine that same guy is gonna use his highest draft pick on QB who may need a couple of years of development before being a viable option.

TLDR: I can see them taking a QB at 17 but not an undisciplined air raid spread QB at 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Thats your opinion.

we are all here giving our opinions. And you have a little misunderstanding of what I was saying.

I didn't say that they shouldn't draft a quarterback, in fact in the mock draft I have them taking a quarterback at 17. I said i cant imagine Jay taking a PROJECT quarterback. Especially one that is as much of a project as Mahomes at pick 17.

I saw what happened w/ Griffin and Jay in terms of patience and grooming and Jay wanted no part of it. So I can't imagine that same guy is gonna use his highest draft pick on QB who may need a couple of years of development before being a viable option.

TLDR: I can see them taking a QB at 17 but not an undisciplined air raid spread QB at 17.

My post was in reply to teams that 'could' select a QB in the first round. Not Mahomes per say.

[Linked Image]

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft 2017 NFL Draft: Patrick Mahomes reportedly visiting Browns

Link Copied to Clipboard