Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
I am seeing more and more reports that we are interested in Watson, Mitch, now I see Fournette is being mentioned.

You have to wonder how much is BS and how much might be stuff floated by us because we really do want to trade out of the top pick.

I have been in the Garrett camp as long as anyone, but, everything has a price. Our FO is value oriented. Say the Bears actually think we are going to take their guy, or the Jags, or SF for that matter.

We can stick to the Bears at #3. Say we could trade down to them. What would the price be? A swap of 1st's this year, a second this year and a first next year. Maybe more?? Giving up Garrett would cost a premium.

Would Allen plus the bounty be a better move for the team?

Again, I want Garrett, but I also understand that everything is for sale if the price is right.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
i'll be upset if we take watson or fournette ... it's garrett or trade back IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
This happens every year this time of year. There is nothing to talk about so every rumor becomes a story. Nothing has changed.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Oh, I agree. This isn't about taking someone other than Garrett at #1. That would be stupid when you can trade the pick.

This is about that would it take to move down, and I am not even talking about dropping out of the top 10. The names being floated aren't guys who are going to be around at 20.

What would the price be to drop down 3-4-5-6-7, then project who we could get and what we would get to make the trade?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
This happens every year this time of year. There is nothing to talk about so every rumor becomes a story. Nothing has changed.

Probably so. I just get tired of hearing about how our FO sucks.

Then again, maybe we do want to drop. Maybe we see the value in doing so as long as it isn't too far down. We really couldn't take Hooker or Adams at #1 over Garrett. We could take then at say 5 or 6 and get them in addition to much else.

I honestly feel we are looking at next year to get a QB. If I am right, we are interested in having a load of top picks next year. We already have three 2nd round picks, or is it four? I really feel we want another 1st so we can trade both the 1st rounders and maybe all of the 2nd rounders to get a QB.

Seems to me that trading down would give us a lot of picks.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
If we dropped to, say #5 ... I'd want Hooker

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Trading down has always been an option. This front office values picks, if we could drop down only a few spots and get a deal like we did last year I think we would do it. Teams haven't really ever traded up that high (and given up that much compensation) for non-QBs.

Also, getting someone else's first round pick for 2018 would then hopefully allow us to get the elusive QB because next year looks loaded as of right now.

(I do not agree with the above strategy.)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anyone but Garrett and a Hole lot , lot , lot of Fans are gong to loss it !

P
Legend
Legend
P
I have just settled myself on Garrett, but if someone offers a kings ransom and we get hooker with it i would be ok with that ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
All Pro
All Pro
For what it's worth, I saw this article come accross my Twitter feed and it was suggesting that we trade #1 and a second next year for AJ McCarron, #9, a second rounder this year and their first rounder next year.

I dunno, if we could pickup at 9 and 12 + a second rounder this year and a first rounder next year for Garret and a #2 next year?

I think I'd have to think very hard about that trade.

It was just some guy filling space, but man it was certainly interesting.

Last in, first out, the sign of a true champion!
[Linked Image from i301.photobucket.com]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I don't believe it. I think they are drumming up stories because it's that time of year.

I do, however, believe the latest that we may trade up from 33 for a player (Mahomes?) or more collateral for JG. OR, it is part of a smokescreen to help get NE talking for the 12?

Legend
Legend
that's a lot of moving pieces. I'm not sold on McCarron, but if Hue wants him I'd trust his knowledge

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I'm not sold on McCarron, but if Hue wants him I'd trust his knowledge

As would I.

L
Legend
Legend
L

I would be upset if we let a potential beast like Garrett go elsewhere. I really don't care what other teams offer us in terms of draft picks. We have plenty of those, what we don't have is very many impact players at vital positions.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Draft a running back at #1, oh boy.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
x2

Legend
Legend
We better get a truckload if we trade out... I'd eventually understand but I'd be ticked.... Just take garrett

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Stetson76
For what it's worth, I saw this article come accross my Twitter feed and it was suggesting that we trade #1 and a second next year for AJ McCarron, #9, a second rounder this year and their first rounder next year.

No way I do that. Not even close to enough value for me. McCarron is nothing, adds nothing to the trade.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

That has to be 100% BS. There are so many unsourced tweets and articles. It is all speculation, rumor milling and fabrication to stir up interest and excitement in the draft.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: BpG

Only if Jim Brown is available ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan

That has to be 100% BS. There are so many unsourced tweets and articles. It is all speculation, rumor milling and fabrication to stir up interest and excitement in the draft.

By swapping 2nds, you're basically saying McCarron is the cost to move from #9 to #1.

Which means they (basically) think AJ McCarron is worth the #5 pick overall.

K.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here are my thoughts:

1st Garrett is a generational athlete. I don't think that can be disputed. His size, speed, strength combination - WOW

What are my questions and concerns?

Will this generational athlete become a generational football player?
If I "knew" he was going to be a Lawrence Taylor type player then trading out of the number 1 pick wouldn't even be a consideration. Early in the Myles Garrett thread there was question of his motor/taking plays off/not finishing plays/?lazy. After a lot of consideration, I don't think any of those are accurate descriptions of what people are seeing. I don't think that he is lazy. What I think brought that up is that he doesn't play angry. LT played angry. Ray Lewis played angry. Seems like all the truly great defensive players in NFL history played with that anger and intensity that I just don't see in Garrett. Does that mean he can't or won't become one of the greatest DE of all time? No, but it is the 1st chink in the armor of what was considered the "perfect prospect" at one point in time.

Next is the Trade up for me Jerry video. In and of itself, the video doesn't bother me. The small issue is that he clearly wants to be a Dallas Cowboy. Raises a concern, after his rookie contract ends will he even consider resigning with us or will he just want to become a Cowboy? Yes we can franchise him but that extends him to a 7 year Brown. Big concern? No. Just another small chink in the armor.

The Mike and Mike thing. Refusing to go on Mike and Mike because Booger McFarland had made some critical comments about his play. Makes me wonder if he thin skinned. This I think bothers me the most.

There are some other things out there that make me think: This is a weird dude. Again, not a big issue but another concern. Also makes me wonder if football is a clear priority in his life.

Without those issues, I don't even consider trading out of #1. If we stay at #1, then I don't see how he isn't the pick. But with these concerns, I would consider trading down for the right deal.

So what would the right deal be.
1st, I would only trade down to #5 maybe #6. My top 5 players are Garrett, Solomon Thomas, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker and Jonathon Allen. So that is 5. I say maybe down to 6. That is because I have yet to determine my feelings on Derek Barnett. Some people are really high on him. On paper his stats look great. On film, he didn't stick out to me but I have only had a chance to watch one quarter of his play. So at this point, I have him as a maybe.

Next, what would it take to trade down from #1 to another one of those other top 5-6 slots?
Starts with their 1st next year AND their 2nd this year AND their 2nd next year.
That would be the starting point in the negotiation and represents the minimum offer to entice me into discussions.

Would anyone give up that much for a non Qb?
I doubt it, but who knows.
I never thought anyone would give up a 1st for Trent Richardson.
I never thought the RG3 package would be what it was.
So stranger things have happened.

Long and short of it, I would need to be overwhelmed to trade down, but I would for the right offer.
And that speculated Cincy offer? Not even enough to give me hesitation.

Just my 2 cents on the topic.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I honestly feel we are looking at next year to get a QB. If I am right, we are interested in having a load of top picks next year. We already have three 2nd round picks, or is it four? I really feel we want another 1st so we can trade both the 1st rounders and maybe all of the 2nd rounders to get a QB.

... for what it's worth, I don't like that trade because it would be the bengals, and also, because two 2nd's are needlessly in there to confuse things, and also AJ McCarron Ain't anything special, and also you'd have to play against whomever they took at #1 twice a year, (see Julio Jones' 8 year+ career)
... and also for what it's worth, I mean I don't like (the thought of the pick of Garrett at 1) but i'll just watch what the Browns do, (maybe they'll find another Justin Gilbert clone) either way, it's their decision all I can do is watch,
But!
I clicked on here, to say, It's Tuff reading that paragraph in the quote, It's tuff hearing if you actually believe that,
I'm pretty sure I've read that same kind of thought at least most of the past 11 years, if not every single one of em.
To what avail.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I just get tired of hearing about how our FO sucks.

Do you have some actual quotes to back that up? I mean, mac bashes them all the time. There are a couple of other guys..Squires and one other guy I can't remember, but who else?

Seems to me that a ton of people are praising them rather than bashing them. And we just came off of a 1 and 15 season.

Let me put it this way............I'm tired of reading how great they are when they haven't proved jack squat yet.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Just had an NFL exec tell me, "Don't be surprised if Myles Garrett isn't the No. 1 pick." Exec convinced a QB is in discussion at No. 1.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/851968451417714689

Quote:
Cleveland has not made up its mind at No. 1, per source. Split opinions. Some like Myles Garrett, some like Mitchell Trubisky. We will see.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/851970308458164224

cfrs15 #1258134 04/11/17 11:01 PM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:
Just had an NFL exec tell me, "Don't be surprised if Myles Garrett isn't the No. 1 pick." Exec convinced a QB is in discussion at No. 1.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/851968451417714689

Quote:
Cleveland has not made up its mind at No. 1, per source. Split opinions. Some like Myles Garrett, some like Mitchell Trubisky. We will see.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/851970308458164224

Is Sashi driving up the price for the #1 pick? He knows he'll get more if QB is key.

Does 49ers get nervous moving up one to get their QB? Browns fall to #2 still getting Garrett and a 2nd round or 1st round next year.

Quote:
Adam Schefter&#8207;Verified account @AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago

49ers HC Kyle Shanahan and QB coach Rich Scangarillo flew to Chapel Hill, NC, last Thursday to work out Mitchell Trubisky, per league source

Last edited by bugs; 04/11/17 11:15 PM. Reason: Found this shortly after I posted above:
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Unless we suck enough to flat-out earn the #1 pick again in 2018 the best QB in the draft will be going to someone else. And the guy I think we're all thinking about may just return to school intead of entering the draft.

But you're still probably right.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic

Unless we suck enough to flat-out earn the #1 pick again in 2018 the best QB in the draft will be going to someone else. And the guy I think we're all thinking about may just return to school intead of entering the draft.

But you're still probably right.

Much focus is on Darnold. But, don't turn your heads on Josh Allen, Wyoming. He may well surpass Darnold as the #1.

We should have enough capital to move up to 1 if we need to.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I think the depth of edge talent makes trading out possible. McKinley, Thomas, Barnett, Willis, Harris. I see the logic - pick up our QB or safety a few slots down and still get premier talent on the edge. Only as long as we make like bandits on the deal.

The interview with Sashi a wee while back stated they had spent lots of time running draft scenarios. It's one area I trust they will be prepared and not be 8-balled.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Myles Garrett - DL - Player

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Cleveland "has not made up its mind" with the No. 1 overall pick, and some Browns executives like Myles Garrett while others prefer Mitchell Trubisky.
Additionally, Schefter had an NFL executive text him to "not be surprised" if Texas A&M's Garrett is not selected with the top pick. Garrett has been the overwhelming favorite to be the first player off the board to the Browns for months now, but Trubisky appears to be picking up steam. Cleveland obviously is desperate for a quarterback, but it would be hard to see them passing on Garrett.

Related: Browns
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Apr 11 - 9:36 PM

MAKES SENSE TO ME ... thumbsup

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
It does make sense, but only if Mitch pans out.

Interesting times.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
And that is why I am staying away from talking about the FO so much and trying to have a football discussion about where we stand in the upcoming draft and trying to sift through all the rumors...you know, trying to figure out which ones have some traction and which one seem like pure smoke.

No thoughts on that?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Good reminder for draft season. If a "source" says something, they want it leaked. No one just shoots the [censored] with Adam Schefter in April

https://twitter.com/DawgsByNature/status/851978336536600576

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
And that is why I am staying away from talking about the FO so much and trying to have a football discussion about where we stand in the upcoming draft and trying to sift through all the rumors...you know, trying to figure out which ones have some traction and which one seem like pure smoke.

No thoughts on that?

I do ... thumbsup ... here's what i think is true ...

- it all hinges on JG ... I think there going to throw moneyball and analytics to the curb and offer the 12 and maybe as much as a 2nd this and next year .... maybe not that much ..... but i think we all ready have a starter offer on the table .... and i think we will make a significant run at JG ...

SF may also be a player here ... it may take the #2 but if Shanny thinks he can be a legite franchise guy under his tutelage ... then i see no LOGICAL REASON he wouldn't give up the two for him .. anyone know where there at cap wise? ...

I think Hue really wants him ....

- i think were going to draft MG at #1 .. I think we wil entertain offers but won't get what we want ... i believe there is a few in the org that see what I see in Mitch .. if we don't get JG they will lose ... if they do win ... Mitch is in play at #2 for SF ... so we can't trade down if we want him ... I'm dreaming there ... thats not going to happen ...

- i think us taking Watson at 12 if he's there is real ... if he's gone I think Mahomes will be in play at 12 .... if not then Webb at 33 ....

Thats what makes sense to me and what I believe to be true ...

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Myles Garrett - DL - Player

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Cleveland "has not made up its mind" with the No. 1 overall pick, and some Browns executives like Myles Garrett while others prefer Mitchell Trubisky.
Additionally, Schefter had an NFL executive text him to "not be surprised" if Texas A&M's Garrett is not selected with the top pick. Garrett has been the overwhelming favorite to be the first player off the board to the Browns for months now, but Trubisky appears to be picking up steam. Cleveland obviously is desperate for a quarterback, but it would be hard to see them passing on Garrett.

Related: Browns
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Apr 11 - 9:36 PM

MAKES SENSE TO ME ... thumbsup

I hope when all is said and done those executives get FIRED.

I actually would fire them right away....pffff

V
Legend
Legend
V

No thoughts on that?

I wouldn't dare to guess if the rumors are true or not. I have no inside information as to what their plans are.

I can only say that I hope the Browns use the first pick of the draft on Myles Garrett. I would be extremely upset if they took Trub w/the first overall pick. I would be disappointed if they traded down.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Here is an article from the 49ers perspective:

Quote:
Wild NFL draft rumor indicates Browns might do 49ers a huge favor

By: Chris Biderman | 10 hours ago
The 49ers could be in for a huge surprise to start the NFL draft if the Cleveland Browns pass on Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett.

Cleveland is wavering between selecting Garrett and North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky with the first-overall pick when the draft starts April 27, according to a report from ESPN.

Follow
Adam Schefter &#10004; @AdamSchefter
9:28 PM - 11 Apr 2017
1,172 1,172 Retweets 2,054 2,054 likes

Cleveland taking Trubisky would allow the 49ers to add the presumptive best pass rusher available, which would be a home-run scenario for new general manager John Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan, who are looking to remake the league’s worst defense from last season.

On its face, this is another wacky rumor that pops up before the draft that brings more questions than answers. Are the Browns looking to move the pick in a trade? Is Trubisky underrated? Is Garrett overrated? What’s everyone missing?

Or maybe the Browns are just being the Browns and think Trubisky is a generational quarterback worth taking No. 1 despite the consensus saying there’s no sure-fire franchise quarterback in spring’s crop.

If anything, Cleveland might be doing the 49ers a huge favor. San Francisco could use as many picks as possible while they rebuild the roster from the foundation on up. They could potentially land a much larger haul in a trade back if Garrett is available at No. 2 – think multiple first-round picks – or, they could just take Garrett and call it an evening worth celebrating.

It’s ultimately difficult to see the Browns not taking Garrett. But Lynch and Shanahan should be on their toes and have a plan just in case.

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/1...s-a-huge-favor/

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

No thoughts on that?

I can only say that I hope the Browns use the first pick of the draft on Myles Garrett. I would be extremely upset if they took Trub w/the first overall pick. I would be disappointed if they traded down.

Same... I am going to be cursing up a storm if we take Trub at 1. I get it if we trade down, I would be upset but if we get great value it's an easier pill to swallow.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Only obtaining an additional first in 2018 would keep me from having a stroke.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
"...despite the consensus saying there’s no sure-fire franchise quarterback in spring’s crop."

While I agree that there is general consensus that Miles Garret is the #1 pick and hence there is no QB worth the #1, I dispute the consensus of no sure-fire franchise QB's, because there are a large number of analysts scouts and coaches who think Deshaun Watson is a bona fide QB.

Never liked the "next year draft crop is better than this year", which IMHO is like the backup QB infatuation.

Amazing how for some winning the national football title can be detrimental to a players career….

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Draft rumors flying about #1.

Link Copied to Clipboard