Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I still need to play Bloodborne. Never heard of Nioh, i'll check it out!

Dawg_LB #1238843 03/03/17 10:28 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
I still need to play Bloodborne. Never heard of Nioh, i'll check it out!

Yeah. Bloodborne is something else. Extremely difficult IMO. Great game, but not always "fun". My wife used to impersonate me "Don't die! Don't die!" "Die! Die!" "Dodge! Dodge!" "G-Damnit!"

Probably the closest i've come to throwing controllers since I was a kid, lol. Extremely well-made game, that's rewarding and fun, but also punishing. I assume that's how those Dark Souls games are too. I'd imagine Nioh is a little like that, although I think I heard it wasn't as hard. Def recommended though.

EDIT: You have to essentially save like souls to strengthen your atrributes/weapons in Bloodborne, but everytime you die, you lose them all. And some guys will kill you with one or two hits, the truth is you die A LOT. It's not like Skyrim where you can run around like a "Tank" type of character. Or like Batman where you just keep hitting a series of buttons. There's true skill involved here. Lots of evading and striking, evading and striking. And using different types of strikes (A poke vs a slash) and so on. 18$, you can't go wrong

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 03/03/17 10:31 AM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Dawg_LB #1238855 03/03/17 10:48 AM
D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Yeah, I had finished up Lords of the Fallen when Bloodborne dropped, and that game was pretty hard. Die, lose a lot. It became less fun and more challenging there at times. There was one boss, WHEW WEEE I swear I was going to throw my controller out the balcony and then go outside to pee on it I was getting so frustrated with it.

Bloodborne, so many said - was similar to that. So I was like, yeah... probably going to have to find something else for the time being lol. I do plan on picking it up someday. By then, I'll probably be able to get it off eBay for cheap cheap CHEAP!

Dawg_LB #1239105 03/03/17 06:18 PM
Legend
Legend
Been on backorder.

Should get here the 10th.

Super excited.

Need to buy a Dremel.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #1239124 03/03/17 06:57 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Been on backorder.

Should get here the 10th.

Super excited.

Need to buy a Dremel.

Back order? The Switch? I cancelled mine a week or two ago. Wish we could have set something up so you could have just gotten mine. Always nice to get your stuff on time.

Zelda is sold out for WiiU on Amazon now though. Not sure what to do. I have Prime so I get that 48$ PriceTag I love

S
Legend
Legend
S
I believe he's talking about the Raspberry Pi.

A million people have asked me to build one for them. I live 10 minutes from a micro center but they sell out of them quickly.

Been playing a bit here and there. I love Castlevania.

Legend
Legend
The Retropie gaming will be fun.

But I'm getting more so for Kodi. And because it's cool.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Mass Effect coming at the end of the month!! Hope EA didn't screw the pooch again with this one. fingerscrossed

I have hope, because they actually allowed Bioware a few years to potentially make a decent game. It wasn't the rush-job that ME3 was.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Mass Effect coming at the end of the month!! Hope EA didn't screw the pooch again with this one. fingerscrossed

I have hope, because they actually allowed Bioware a few years to potentially make a decent game. It wasn't the rush-job that ME3 was.

Oh come on. Mass Effect 3 wasn't that bad. Nor was Dragon Age: Inquisition. I thought both were good games.

Maybe not as good as Mass Effect 1 or 2 (or Dragon Age Origins to Dragon Age: Inquisition), but still, a good game.

I enjoy all those games. Just can't get your expectations that high. I'm very excited about Mass Effect: Andromeda. I don't think they're gonna release a bad game. They wouldn't do that to their best brand

EDIT: And i'm really bringing up Dragon Age as well because people are acting like EA screwed up Bioware's games. And I don't think that's fair. I'm not like some EA supporter or anything, but Mass Effect 3 WAS a good game. A good game with a lame ending. But it still doesn't take away the fact that the game was good.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I have a hard time believing that people didn't. Not to the point where they didn't get to the ending at least

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 03/07/17 05:54 PM.

Legend
Legend
Mass Effect was 2/3rds of a great game though. And it was covered in all the blood of EA's usual money grabbing attempts. Day-one DLC, a very rushed multi-player (which naturally you had to buy game packs to really compete), the single-player campaign basically requiring you to play multiplayer to get your score up high enough to finish the game right. Etc, etc.

The first two thirds of the game were amazing, yes ... but the last act of it you could tell was blatantly rushed to get it out the door. The story was cut to an abrupt unsatisfying end ... and the ending sort of matters. They spent 2 years on the game, whereas the other two editions had 3 years. You could tell they could of really used that extra year.

Andromeda has been 5 years in the making, so I'm holding out hope for a good game again.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I'll go a step further... ME3 was a great game.

But you're right, the ending really really matters. It's only the one thing you've been working towards for 3 fairly long games. And that ending was rushed and super lame. It still doesn't make sense.

But still, it's a great game. I didn't think I would, but I love multiplayer. With XB1 compatibility, I still fire that up every now and then.
I can't wait for Andromeda.

Sperg,
I know nothing about torrenting and stuff. Where would be a good place to get my hands on ROMs?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mass Effect was 2/3rds of a great game though. And it was covered in all the blood of EA's usual money grabbing attempts. Day-one DLC, a very rushed multi-player (which naturally you had to buy game packs to really compete), the single-player campaign basically requiring you to play multiplayer to get your score up high enough to finish the game right. Etc, etc.

The first two thirds of the game were amazing, yes ... but the last act of it you could tell was blatantly rushed to get it out the door. The story was cut to an abrupt unsatisfying end ... and the ending sort of matters. They spent 2 years on the game, whereas the other two editions had 3 years. You could tell they could of really used that extra year.

Andromeda has been 5 years in the making, so I'm holding out hope for a good game again.

See, I don't remember any DLC and I don't play multi-player. I played the heck out of the single player campaign and loved it. Would have wished for a better ending, but is what it is. Doesn't change the fact that for most of the game, I had a wonderful time.

I'm with Oobernoober, game was a great game. Sure wish the series was wrapped up better, but the game was a great game

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
I cancelled my Switch. Too little free time right now for video games, and lack of launch games (besides Zelda) makes me wait till summer.

Zelda would keep you buys until summer, phenomenal game. Definitely not much else right now but I wouldn't be able to play anything else with how deep Zelda is anyways. Love the Switch though, definitely pick one up when you can.

Eat it Phil...
Legend
Legend
Pi update.

Got it. Still toying around with it. Haven't put any emulators or roms on it yet.

It starts in RetroPie. And I can't for the life of me figure out how to get out of it, to eat to the "desktop" or Kodi.

I'm pretty good with computers. But this is all new to me.

Wanna get it completely set up before I start building the case.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Pi update.

Got it. Still toying around with it. Haven't put any emulators or roms on it yet.

It starts in RetroPie. And I can't for the life of me figure out how to get out of it, to eat to the "desktop" or Kodi.

I'm pretty good with computers. But this is all new to me.

Wanna get it completely set up before I start building the case.

are you positive both can be on the raspberry pi?

I have no idea. if you figure it out, let me know, that'd be a cool thing to add to my cart.

Legend
Legend
There's a way to have the Pi boot up in Raspien instead of RetroPie. Right now I can't even find out how to get to Raspien.

I'm pretty sure Kodi is part of RetroPie. Could be wrong. Again, I'm a noob to this.

The problem I think I'm having is that my SD card came with a different version of Raspien on it. And I just threw RetroPie on it.

I think I'm just ganna clear it out and start over.

Trying to follow install instructions when you don't know where to start reading in them (because I'm not at the "beginning") is annoying.

D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Okay, so after a decent bit of gameplay into Horizon Zero Dawn, this game is truly awesome.

There are several types of various enemies. Several. You need to know how to exploit each of them and etc to survive.

There's not a whole lot of weapons to choose from, but they do all have different levels and etc. They go from green, blue to purple, purple being the higher level ones with more mod slots. Weapons can be modded.

I've been quite busy playing all the side missions and errands. I've had minimal need to play the main quest. There's A TON of stuff to do and gameplay provided.

There's a bunch of ways to take down enemies and etc. The weapons and skills you can unlock provides various game play styles exactly what you need. If you want to be stealthy, so be it. If you want to go in guns blazing, so be it. If you want to setup ambush points, so be it. It's fun.

Crafting is a key element. Picking up resources (plants/crafting material) is key.

Sure there's a ton I'm missing, but this game is rocking it! thumbsup

S
Legend
Legend
S
Okay, so after a decent bit of gameplay into Horizon Zero Dawn, this game is truly awesome.

There are several types of various enemies. Several. You need to know how to exploit each of them and etc to survive.

There's not a whole lot of weapons to choose from, but they do all have different levels and etc. They go from green, blue to purple, purple being the higher level ones with more mod slots. Weapons can be modded.

I've been quite busy playing all the side missions and errands. I've had minimal need to play the main quest. There's A TON of stuff to do and gameplay provided.

There's a bunch of ways to take down enemies and etc. The weapons and skills you can unlock provides various game play styles exactly what you need. If you want to be stealthy, so be it. If you want to go in guns blazing, so be it. If you want to setup ambush points, so be it. It's fun.

Crafting is a key element. Picking up resources (plants/crafting material) is key.

Sure there's a ton I'm missing, but this game is rocking it! thumbsup

Thanks for taking 60 bucks out of my pocket, LOL

Gonna try and wait for the price to drop, but this sounds like a must have.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Agreed. I'm just telling myself that ME:A will have a ton of gameplay hours, so there's no need to over do it with two games this week. I really can't wait till Tuesday. Mass Effect has been my favorite genre since the 1st game, and the new game looks like it could be much better.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Agreed. I'm just telling myself that ME:A will have a ton of gameplay hours, so there's no need to over do it with two games this week. I really can't wait till Tuesday. Mass Effect has been my favorite genre since the 1st game, and the new game looks like it could be much better.

I've talked to a few people that have gotten a chance to play it and they said it's incredible.

Not really my thing, but maybe one day when I've conquered all the games I've wanted to, I might dive into the ME series.

Legend
Legend
I really wish I was like you guys.

All I play is Madden. Or 2k.

I have other games. COD. Mad Max. BattleFront.

No interest in playing them. Or going out and trying to find something else.

I can sit and play a franchise on madden for hours every night. And be bored doing it.

Sigh.

Legend
Legend

I'm starting to get worried. One video game youtuber was already ripping ME:A because it had really derpy looking characters and the animations were really screwed up. I can probably look past that if the game is good though.

But then I'm hearing mixed reports from game reviewers saying that the writing for the game is really crappy. One guy said, ME:A is almost backwards because the writing is bad but the in-game combat is really good. I've also heard that the mining part of the game is really boring and tedious, but other parts of it are really well done.

Again, this is EA we're talking about here, so the muck-up potential is VERY high.

Legend
Legend
So I got about 3 hours of ME:A in last night and it's a mixed bag so far. It's definitely been fun, but it just seems to lack the real punch the plotline of the originals gave you. The cover mechanics are also a little weird. You run up to a rock, and it goes into auto-cover (sometimes). This gets me into trouble, because I'm used to hitting space to dive into cover. Now that boosts you up into the air (and into direct fire, lol)

The first missions seem to be taking awhile to get through as well. It took 2 hours just to get through the first mission/cinematics.

D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Keep us updated. ME is the next game on my list, but if it isn't like the originals - I may think about Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Legend
Legend
Keep us updated. ME is the next game on my list, but if it isn't like the originals - I may think about Ghost Recon Wildlands.

I rented that this past weekend, wow, I was surprised. I don't like the games that are overly tactical and have too much stealth, but Ghost Recon was a lot of fun. So far, there has been a good mix of stealth and raw shooting fun. It has a very GTA-like feel to the way the story and side missions flow. You can pick two side missions, attack a safe house you come across randomly or follow the story missions. Very simple.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
So I got about 3 hours of ME:A in last night and it's a mixed bag so far. It's definitely been fun, but it just seems to lack the real punch the plotline of the originals gave you. The cover mechanics are also a little weird. You run up to a rock, and it goes into auto-cover (sometimes). This gets me into trouble, because I'm used to hitting space to dive into cover. Now that boosts you up into the air (and into direct fire, lol)

The first missions seem to be taking awhile to get through as well. It took 2 hours just to get through the first mission/cinematics.

Played for 6 hours today. Didn't get anywhere but side missions. Doesn't seem like there is a focused narrative yet. The autocover took a long time to get used to, mainly because it doesn't work from some angles. Overall though it's been pretty immersive. I haven't noticed any of the wild facial animations besides some characters have a penchant for blinking fast. I really like the dialogue options, although the game has been pretty boring so far. Really good though.

Legend
Legend
Played for 6 hours today. Didn't get anywhere but side missions. Doesn't seem like there is a focused narrative yet. The autocover took a long time to get used to, mainly because it doesn't work from some angles. Overall though it's been pretty immersive. I haven't noticed any of the wild facial animations besides some characters have a penchant for blinking fast. I really like the dialogue options, although the game has been pretty boring so far. Really good though.

Played for another couple hours last night. I'm starting to see some of the flaws people are talking about, but it doesn't make it the terrible game that some are trying to make it. I think the problem is that the original games were so good, that it's a big shadow to overcome. It feels a lot like ME1 in some regards. Some things are great, some things need work. There's a lot to get used to and explore. Some of it is tedious, some of it's fun.

Some of the problems I've seen so far:

-- The story isn't quite as engaging and well told as ME1, and I think that's mostly due to ME1 being done so well. Here, it takes a long time for the story to unfold, and it just doesn't feel as ... I don't know, "urgent" ... as ME1? In all the prior Mass Effects, you were thrown into the action right away, the plot was laid out, and you got your basic user-control tutorial all within the first 60 minutes or so. Here, things have unfolded slowly. It took 2 hours just to do the first mission, and another couple of hours to get into the planet exploration stuff. I'm still trying to learn how to do things and it hasn't explained much of it. (How do I put down a mining colony?)

-- The characters haven't really been introduced in a cool way like previous installments. Again, I think this goes back to the greatness of the originals. But here, it's like "Oh here's this guy, he's the chief-operations guy". When I got my first ship, I went on board and it was basically: "And here's your crew."

-- The graphics aren't "great". They aren't terrible either, but it doesn't seem as polished as ME3 or other games of this time. I was talking to some Turians at the main station, and they almost looked like they were wearing a generic mask. They didn't have the skin detail that you saw in ME3 turians. That said, I haven't seen any of the terrible animations that people were complaining about. I also had to update my graphics driver before starting the game, so maybe there's a reason for that ...

-- A lot of things are starting to get tedious. You get a scan tool that you use a LOT on the planets you visit. Probably more so than you'll use a gun. It probably wouldn't be quite as annoying if you could run at normal speed and also jump and such while using it. It's an interesting concept, but it's sort of slowing things down on missions. And they want you to scan just about everything.

-- Worse than that is Planet scanning/travel. Rather than just move your ship icon to a new planet, you will actually travel to it. The animation LOOKS really cool, the first time you do it anyway. But it's a 15-20 second visual that you do EVERY time you switch planets.

D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Is there a setting or anything to disable/turn off the auto cover aspect?

Legend
Legend
Is there a setting or anything to disable/turn off the auto cover aspect?

Nope. And you sort of need it. I'm just playing the intro missions and I'm getting torn up pretty good. I think it's just a matter of getting used to it.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Thanks for the run down.

I had a feeling it wasn't as bad as some of those reviews sounded. Still, I'm disappointed it's not living up to ME1's story. I thought I read a while (years) ago, that they lost a handful of their writers.

I haven't dove into the game at all yet, which is weird. It's been busy this week. I'll get to it when I have a good couple hours to give.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
About 15 hours in and I finally got the first real, "This is the face of the bad guy moment." There is a LOT to do that is outside of just straight up shooting and fighting. It's kind of side-quest stuff, but it doesn't really feel like "fetch quest" things either. You get to drive around and explore a bit, which is fun. Some things are tedious, other things are not so bad. It does feel like Mass Effect, but it's a different spin on the game.

I also played multiplayer a bit last night as well. It feels very similar to how ME3 did it.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'm getting the same Horizon love. I'm stuck trying to beat a fire bellowback, but I can't figure out how to do it.

However, that's half the fun of this game. Trying to figure out the weak point, and then nailing the weak point.

I did finally order a switch. I should have it in three weeks.

D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
I'm getting the same Horizon love. I'm stuck trying to beat a fire bellowback, but I can't figure out how to do it.

However, that's half the fun of this game. Trying to figure out the weak point, and then nailing the weak point.

I did finally order a switch. I should have it in three weeks.

A little tip, scanning over the enemy then hitting the touchpad (the big button in the middle of the controller) will bring up the note book on the enemy, showing you the weak spots and the weaknesses and strengths.

Extremely handy.

D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I beat Horizon Zero Dawn, phenomenal game. Great ending. Best part about it is I listed it on Craigslist for $40 bucks, and someone already bought it. So I basically got ALL of that gameplay (it was a ton) for $20. Enjoy to those who are playing it. Rocking game. Going to take a little bit of a gaming break though.

nanner

Legend
Legend
I got NBA2k17 online from the store for 35$.

Team expansion is fun.

MyPlayer is a lot better than the stupid crap Spike Lee did last year.

Legend
Legend

How far into the game are you?

I just beat it last night (have a couple of resolution missions to do though I think). Overall, I'd probably give the game a solid B. Wasn't nearly as good as the first two, but I'll still probably replay the game as Fem-Shep and make the opposite dialog choices just to see how it goes.

D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Yeah, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on ME instead of Wildlands when I decide to get back into the gaming scene.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Yeah, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on ME instead of Wildlands when I decide to get back into the gaming scene.

I didn't pick up Wildlands like I thought I would. Haven't heard much about the game since it came out. I may go for it when it's like 20 bucks. Sucks, because I was really looking forward to it.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

How far into the game are you?

I just beat it last night (have a couple of resolution missions to do though I think). Overall, I'd probably give the game a solid B. Wasn't nearly as good as the first two, but I'll still probably replay the game as Fem-Shep and make the opposite dialog choices just to see how it goes.

I just finished it last night after taking a two week hiatus. It was a good game. I grew a little frustrated with it after realizing it was aiming to be a trilogy. I'm just afraid it's going to follow the general plot of the last Mass Effect trilogy. B is a fair grade.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, they definitely opened it up to having sequels and DLC and such with a lot of loose ends. I guess we can expect that though, as ME and Dragon Age were meant to be games that carried over into the next game. I'm actually looking forward to the next installment as I'd like to see what kind of repercussions there will be for some of the choices made.

I was a little disappointed in the boss fight at the end, but hey, it was still better than ME3's ending.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fantasy & Gaming The Gaming Thread, Part II

Link Copied to Clipboard