Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer

Message body

Sam Darnold - USC - RS Sophomore

2016 Stats: 67.2% completion. 3086 yards. 31TD/9INT. 250 Rushing Yards, 2 TD.
Darnold is widely considered to be the cream of the crop. He's only played a single year in California, but what a year it was. He's an accurate guy, with a quick/clean release, he has mobility and excellent size (6'4 225lb's). He reads the game well, and already goes through progressions quickly. He looks like the real deal, I can't wait to see year two.

Josh Rosen - UCLA - Junior
2016 Stats: 59.3% completion. 1915 yards. 10TD/5INT. 2 Rushing TD (6 Games)
Rosen will be an interesting one to watch. He had surgery on his throwing shoulder after suffering an injury in week 6 of the 2016 season. He has excellent size (6'4 220lb's) and is highly regarded for his football IQ. He's very outspoken on many issues, which rub people the wrong way. However he's got a lightning release, he reads the whole field and he's got tremendous touch.

Josh Allen - Wyoming - RS Sophomore
2016 Stats: 56.0% completion. 3203 yards. 28TD/15INT. 512 Rushing yards. 7TD
Allen is an impressive looking QB, he stands at 6'5 and weighs 222lb's. He runs well and he's got a cannon for an arm. He's got a nice efficient over the top delivery and seems to be comfortable throwing on the run too. The problem with Allen is consistency, he can look great but then force balls into coverages and look awful in the space of 3 drives. He has everything you need to develop though, it's a big year for Allen.

Baker Mayfield - Oklahoma - RS Senior
2016 Stats: 71% completion. 3965 yards. 40TD/8INT. 177 Rushing yards. 6TD
There are some maturity issues with Mayfield, he was arrested on charges included public intoxication, disorderly conduct, fleeing and resisting arrest. However there is no disputing his talent. Oklahoma run a variation of the air-raid offense, so Baker runs exclusively from the shotgun. He does show good ball placement, accuracy and enough velocity to push the ball down field.

Mason Rudolph - Oklahoma State - Senior
2016 Stats: 63.4% completion. 4091 yards. 28TD/4INT. 6 Rushing TD.
I've got so much time for Mason, he's one of my favourite prospects heading into 2017. Great size (6'5, 235lb's), with a good arm and underrated athleticism, he also plays in a spread offense. He plays with good mechanics and looks after the football, he's shown a good ability to get through his progressions and he often takes whatever the defense gives him. Expect another big year for the Oklahoma State star.

Luke Falk - Washington State - Senior
2016 Stats: 70% completion. 4468 yards. 38TD/11INT.
Falk plays for Mike Leach's air-raid offense in Washington, so it's hardly surprising that he's put up some gaudy numbers. However he's got a lot of talent which translates to any system. Good size (6'4, 216lb's), lightning quick release, good accuracy and an ability to stand in the pocket and scan the field. He'll put up another good year of statistics, but I'm sure he'll get a lot of love from scouts for his pro potential.

Trace McSorley - Penn State - Junior
2016 Stats: 57.9% completion. 3614 yards. 29TD/8INT. 365 Rushing yards. 7 TD.
Penn State hired Joe Moorhead to be their offensive coordinator in 2016 and he installed a spread system which has allowed Trace McSorley to showcase his talent. McSorley is a little smaller than you'd like (6'0, 200lb) but he moves well in the pocket and keeps his eyes downfield. Penn State do have a few running plays designed for their QB. I also quite like his ability to push the ball down field.

Max Browne - Pittsburgh - Senior
2016 Stats: 62.4% completion. 507 yards. 2TD/2INT.
Max Browne transferred to Pittsburgh after losing his spot to Sam Darnold in 2016 at USC. As a graduate transfer, he'll be able to play immediately. Things didn't work out for Browne at USC, but he's an interesting guy to watch. He's 6'5, 220lb's with a very strong arm. This is the kind of situation where no-one is expecting much, but by the end of the year, he has the intangibles to be intriguing NFL scouts.

Lamar Jackson - Louisville - Junior
2016 Stats: 56.2% completion. 3543 yards. 30TD/9INT. 1571 Rushing yards. 21 TD
There are many people who don't think that Jackson can come become an NFL passer, I think it's fair to say that at the moment, he's not a polished passer and probably isn't a good enough passer to be an NFL starter. However he does have incredible athleticism. Jackson will need to land with a team who know's what to do with him, like the Falcons did with Vick. Jackson doesn't really read defenses, but he does have a decent if innacurate arm. Everyone knows he's got natural athletic ability, everyone will be watching to see how much improvement he's made in the passing game.

Jake Browning - Washington - Junior
2016 Stats: 62.1% completion. 3430 yards. 43TD/9INT. 4 Rushing TD
There will be a lot of eyes on Browning, and the hope is he'll continue to put up the numbers that will get him noticed. Jake has average size at 6'2 and 210lb's, but he has good touch, a decent arm and good poise in the pocket that will impress anyone who watches him on tape. Apparently he is a film hound, who absolutely loves breaking down tape and it shows on field with his ability to read defenses too.

Last edited by waterdawg; 04/25/17 09:58 AM.
Legend
Legend
honestly, it's not a bad idea to build up talent as much as possible and draft the guy next year

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I'd take 5 of those guys over the top three in this years draft.
If we trade back from 12 to pick up another first round pick next year I won't be too upset.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Mitch Trubisky 2016 UNC:

Att. 447 Comp. 304 Pct. 68% Yds. 3748 YPA 8.4 TD's 30 INT's 6 Rating 157.89 Size 6'3" 220lbs
superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Legend
Legend
C
How did Max Browne make this list?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Good Question superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Mitch Trubisky 2016 UNC:

Att. 447 Comp. 304 Pct. 68% Yds. 3748 YPA 8.4 TD's 30 INT's 6 Rating 157.89 Size 6'3" 220lbs
superconfused

6'2"

But anyway, it's not his stats most folks are concerned about it's the fact that most of the guys on that list for next year's draft already have more college starts that Trubisky had in total. I like the kid I just wish we had a bigger sample size. If he's there at 12 and we take him I'll get behind it.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
. I like the kid I just wish we had a bigger sample size... Bingo ! .. Secondly , there is just to much talent ( especially on D ) IN THE FIRST !

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C

Sam Darnold, who some want to annoint as the next coming at QB, (and maybe he is) has as many starts as Mitch Trubisky, who people question due to the "small" sample size.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CBFAN19
J/C

Sam Darnold, who some want to annoint as the next coming at QB, (and maybe he is) has as many starts as Mitch Trubisky, who people question due to the "small" sample size.

Darnold is still in college.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
These QB's really look good. We picked the wrong year to have the worst record.

Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
And might not come out next year .. Really need to keep my eye on Josh Allen this year .

Last edited by waterdawg; 04/25/17 11:32 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
These QB's really look good. We picked the wrong year to have the worst record.

We have what it takes to repeat. Kessler, or a reach, at QB. Not saying we will repeat, but its not out of the question.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Good point Cap, lol, but I really agree with Dawg4life, we should build this team this year. We have multiple picks in a deep, talented draft. I have stated this on a couple of my previous posts. Draft the impact, talented players this year. We have the ammo use it. I'm sure at some point in this draft we will draft a QB and who knows he may develop but next year the odd's look better. JMO

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
And whats it going to cost NEXT year to get to one ? If we win 4 or 5 games this year we probably pick 3-5. The same crummy teams that need a QB this year will still need one next year. If we don't pick no 1 again next year and a Luck type QB is there we AREN'T getting him. It will be a replay of the Colts and whoever it is WILL NOT trade out.. I know.. lets wait till the following year and see who's there smile I think they want a guy this year and aren't waiting. If we screw that up then we are even better positioned for a higher pick next year smile

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
If we draft 4th next year a QB with a better pedigree will fall to us. That's kind of the point. Next year's crop is deep. Very deep. Many of the guys on that list would get drafted over the top three this year. It's not just a 'Luck' deep draft.
I agree we can't keep putting it off but we also can't just take a guy because we need a guy. That's how we Weeden'd.

[Linked Image]
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I think this whole process is being made way more complicated than it needs to be. The big reason it is hard for fans to understand what the team is doing, is we don't know how the Browns have these players rated.

I can not imagine a single good reason to tell anyone in the media who you like or what your true plans are. Smokescreens make sense if you are trying to get a feel for other teams interests.

TO me the choice seems to come down to;

A) Pick the player you rated the highest ( I assume Garrett)because the odds he plays for you and is successful is greater than others. or...

B) pick the player that your evaluators have determined to be the best at the most critical position in the game QB), but that player's likely success percentage may not be as high, making the selection a bit more risky.

Obviously there are other factors such as the likelihood of drafting #1 again in the future should a better rated QB comes available. Or if there are other defensive players at 12 that would significantly help our weak defense or if there is another QB that could possibly be taken later you feel could possibly be successful.

To state the obvious, we will find out Thursday & Friday.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Because he left USC to avoid the freshman sensation Darnold...gives the fraternity something to spew about ignoring the players actual...you know...talents. It's what they do.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

Because he left USC to avoid the freshman sensation Darnold...gives the fraternity something to spew about ignoring the players actual...you know...talents. It's what they do.

He started over Darnold and was benched because he was terrible.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Only 1 on that list that I like and that is Darnold and he might not even come out next year. I do not think that crop of QBs, Darnold aside, are any better than the QBs coming out this year.

Legend
Legend

If Trubisky would have stayed at NC and played to the level he did in 2016; he would be right up there in the top three.

Now the only rap on him is 13 game starter.

Because in the 13 games he has played; he played at a very high level.

Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
I think some where Bill Walsh is not having any part of drafting a 13 game college QB in the first , lol //

Some of just believe you could draft a player like Howard who steps on the field and becomes a Starter day one .. A catching machine TE who can really block too ..

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
That's not my only rap on trubisky. My problem with him is in his tape. I think he does most things well so you don't see glaring negatives that outweigh 13 games. My problem is he has zero blue chips traits. Unless he developed into a brees, manning, Brady type general he doesn't have a single trait that nfl dcs are scared of imo.

Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
I don't have a problem with the Browns taking a Flyer on the kid , but not in the first !

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
I don't have a problem with the Browns taking a Flyer on the kid , but not in the first !

This. Grab a guy like Kaaya/Dobbs on day 3 and lets get a bigger "sample" size of Kessler on the field to see if he can build on to last year.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Finally, some 2018 NFL Draft Talk!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: predator16
That's not my only rap on trubisky. My problem with him is in his tape. I think he does most things well so you don't see glaring negatives that outweigh 13 games. My problem is he has zero blue chips traits. Unless he developed into a brees, manning, Brady type general he doesn't have a single trait that nfl dcs are scared of imo.

The thing that bugs me about MT is that everyone says he has this strong arm. But on his deep throws, he frequently under throws his receiver. Additionally, on those throws, the ball tends to float at the end. He got away with it in college but in the NFL those will be easy interceptions.

The 13 starts? Doesn't bother me so much except that the Stanford game showed that he can easily be fooled. NFL defenses will have his head spinning. Will he learn? Maybe. But that is a long way off.

JMO

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nice post waterdawg

Sam Darnold will be a great one. You heard it here first..:)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I look at that list of Qb's and here is what I see. Darnold. He is going to be the #1 overall pick when he decides to come out. There's no guarantee he comes out next year. There's no guarantee we have the #1 overall pick if he does come out. But I can almost guarantee that the year he comes out that #1 overall pick is not getting traded.

As for the rest of the guys, Allen, Rosen and Randolph have potential. They might develop next year but maybe not. I don't see any of those other guys as even being in consideration.

Browning - weak arm
Jackson- great college Qb, not going to dominate the NFL
Falk - eh, maybe but big mybe

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: Jester
Originally Posted By: predator16

The thing that bugs me about MT is that everyone says he has this strong arm. But on his deep throws, he frequently under throws his receiver. Additionally, on those throws, the ball tends to float at the end. He got away with it in college but in the NFL those will be easy interceptions.

The 13 starts? Doesn't bother me so much except that the Stanford game showed that he can easily be fooled. NFL defenses will have his head spinning. Will he learn? Maybe. But that is a long way off.

JMO

Precisely. When you have a guy like him I'm not saying it can't work out but we can't interview and pick his brain. He will have to master the intricacies of the game to be even above average imo which will take at least 4 years.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I love Darnold, but he has 1 year of performance. IF he performs next year like he did last year, then yes, he's the #1. But weren't we talking about Watson as the sure #1 at this time last year? And he led his team to a national championship. It's happened before, guys who look like surefire #1 in future drafts fall before that draft gets here.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I love Darnold, but he has 1 year of performance. IF he performs next year like he did last year, then yes, he's the #1. But weren't we talking about Watson as the sure #1 at this time last year? And he led his team to a national championship. It's happened before, guys who look like surefire #1 in future drafts fall before that draft gets here.

Psst ... don't forget Kizer ... he was sure fire top 5 ... NO DOUBT, CANT MISS player ...

We have a lot of ex cornerbacks on this board .. short memories ... rofl

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If we are going to take a project QB I'd rather do so at the top of the second than at #12. Davis Webb will likely be there and taking him there makes more sense to me than rolling the dice at 12 or worse trading a bunch of picks to move up!

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If the rumors about the Trubisky desire coming from Haslam is true, I'd probably be pushing the idea of Dobbs in the 3rd to pull on his affinity for his alma mater to get him off of it. I've actually warmed to Mitchell some, but not enough for trading up for him or taking him at 1 to sound like a good idea. There'd be too much pressure to play him early and I think disguised D's at the NFL level will take him some time to figure out, if he is even capable of handling the processing speed required for post snap reads. He really seemed to struggle with "predator" (Gruden's terminology) plays in the Stanford game.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
Not sure why at this point ; but I have my eye on Allen .. If you can play in Wyoming you can play in Cleveland ..lol

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Same. I'm not entirely sure why but I like allen.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know much about Allen, but I did read an opinion that he's the sleeper of the group. I will be paying attention when college games start again.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I don't know much about Allen, but I did read an opinion that he's the sleeper of the group. I will be paying attention when college games start again.

I think he may go the way of Kizer this draft cycle. He's losing a good bit of surrounding talent. If he can improve his numbers, I'll be impressed.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
I would take these four over any QB being drafted in 2017

Depending on next year I might be interested in:

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Browns26
I would take these four over any QB being drafted in 2017

Depending on next year I might be interested in:

Browns would be smart to just chill on drafting a QB in the 1st this year. Better options next year for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Someone get this to the Browns FO .

Link Copied to Clipboard