OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R

Enjoy.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Has the Bearing Strait land bridge reformed?

Hey that was good.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Yup. Uncle Vlad built it using the funds allocated to assist Donnie in the wall.

Legend
Legend
Yes we use to dress like this and go out in public

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
burn baby burn!!! disco inferno!!!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
OK let's keep an open mind.

Here's a song that helped "main-stream" disco.

"HEY! HEY! HEY! HEY HEY! Macho, macho man, I gotta be a macho man"

A great work-out song.

Yes I was and still am hetero.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
A top-ten scene from a top-ten movie:

(sung by that consummate "white" disco band The Bee Gees")

Legend
Legend
Do we have to? rofl

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
In its really early days disco, in particular, black disco was a cool fusion of funk and pop. White disco kinda stripped the funk out of it and went totally pop with Abba, Bee Gees etc.

But, those early Kool & The Gang albums and even Parliament Funkadelic, Mandrill and other cool black funk/disco bands from the early/mid 70s were great. These days they are overlooked by all the crap from that genre.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I didn't do Disco, but sometimes when mainstream rockers would crossover, it was okay.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I can literally (and happily haha) say that I don't know anyone, family/friends/coworkers/etc, that listen to disco hahaha...

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I remember as a kid having 'dance parties' in the living room. My step mom's ABBA album on dad's turntable. Everyone dancing around having a blast. My folks were cool in the 70's. Michael Jackson's Wall album leans pretty disco but there's some great tunes on it.

There's more current musicians putting out disco-esque music. Cicada is one such act, but by far my favorite is the funky white boy Jay Kay, otherwise known as Jamiroquai...

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Disco??!!!

Why GOD, WHY??!!!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Disco??!!!

Why GOD, WHY??!!!

Remember the answer that God gave at the end of The Gum Ball Rally?

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
I remember as a kid having 'dance parties' in the living room. My step mom's ABBA album on dad's turntable. Everyone dancing around having a blast. My folks were cool in the 70's. Michael Jackson's Wall album leans pretty disco but there's some great tunes on it.

There's more current musicians putting out disco-esque music. Cicada is one such act, but by far my favorite is the funky white boy Jay Kay, otherwise known as Jamiroquai...

Good call on Jamiroquai!

I have a cool story, Portland....in 1992 I met Jay Kay (he was still Jason back then). I was working at a pub in London and we crossed paths via music. He wont remember as his life has exploded since but, we met via friends and I went to his house where we talked music late into the night and listened to records. We traded a few tapes...he gave me some cool British acid jazz and lesser known shoegaze stuff he was into (or maybe that I had zeroed in on?) and I, in return, gave him some obscure US psychedelic bands. He was cool.

My wife still loves his albums. She was playing "Virtual Insanity" just the other day.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
where.is.the.shoegaze.thread.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
where.is.the.shoegaze.thread.

Somebody in the "British Rock" thread hinted at it when they mentioned The Jesus & Mary Chain.

Legend
Legend
Disco??!!!

Why GOD, WHY??!!!

To remind white guys that we can't dance laugh

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg

Good call on Jamiroquai!

I have a cool story, Portland....in 1992 I met Jay Kay (he was still Jason back then). I was working at a pub in London and we crossed paths via music. He wont remember as his life has exploded since but, we met via friends and I went to his house where we talked music late into the night and listened to records. We traded a few tapes...he gave me some cool British acid jazz and lesser known shoegaze stuff he was into (or maybe that I had zeroed in on?) and I, in return, gave him some obscure US psychedelic bands. He was cool.

My wife still loves his albums. She was playing "Virtual Insanity" just the other day.

Great story. Definitely a night to remember. From the behind the scenes stuff I've heard and read he seems like a cool guy. He just dropped a new album. Sadly I was kinda disappointed in it. There's a couple good tracks but it's not his best work.

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
My mom took me to Saturday night fever when I was 10.
For a couple years I liked disco a little bit.
I think of the SNF soundtrack, abba and that sorta thing when i think about disco. I wish I could dance

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Disco??!!!

Why GOD, WHY??!!!

Disco is king! This is real disco, and as much as I love ABBA, they are not disco...

https://youtu.be/pu2NzXb4x1s?list=RDpu2NzXb4x1s

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
I'm a little younger than some of you. Obviously I've heard of disco, but specifically, what time period are we talking? 70s? Late 70s? 75-85? When was the disco era?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
When was the disco era?

Mid 70's to early 80's...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Disco came into play early 70's with a lot of the black bands mixing pop, funk and soul with a faster beat and less emphasis on traditional rock or blues guitar structure. But, it exploded into fashion and pop culture in the mid 70's and lasted into the late 70's and early 80's. A lot of the pop bands in the 80's had their roots in disco and Euro-pop.

The original "Saturday Night Fever" film was pretty much disco culture at its height (1977).

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Disco??!!!

Why GOD, WHY??!!!

Disco is king! This is real disco, and as much as I love ABBA, they are not disco...

https://youtu.be/pu2NzXb4x1s?list=RDpu2NzXb4x1s

I definitely hear disco in some of Abba's music. JMO of course. The high-hat thing, the 4-4, the music that moves your feet. Hell, Dancing Queen or Take a Chance on Me coulda been on the SNF soundtrack.

Odd Note: today I was reading about Aaron Hernandez's first trial, and one of the sherrifs, or court security guys, in the courtroom was 72-year-old Frank Tavares, who sang More Than a Woman on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

gmstrong

-----------------

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
My dad's record collection was pretty expansive but the only disco album I remember him having, besides my step-mom's ABBA album, was by Andy Gibb. Who tragically went on to die too young.

[Linked Image]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
There are only two forms of music I don't like. One is hip hop because I don't like vulgarity in music. The other is disco. Sorry but I can't celebrate music made just for getting high with and enjoying a buzz while sleeping around with anything that moves.

That being said I don't hate everything from disco. I always liked Mamas and Papas. I loved the Carpenters too. Then again most of that is from the 60's so maybe it's not considered disco yet.

darn it youtube sucked 2 hours of my life away again as I went on a music flashback man carpenters still just chill me down so easy.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns

That being said I don't hate everything from disco. I always liked Mamas and Papas. I loved the Carpenters too. Then again most of that is from the 60's so maybe it's not considered disco yet.

Mamas & The Papas and the Carpenters are definitely NOT disco. M&P's were from mid 60's and a Californian sunshine folk/pop quartet. Carpenters were just soft pop/easy listening. Nothing disco about either of these musicians.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

one of the sherrifs, or court security guys, in the courtroom was 72-year-old Frank Tavares, who sang More Than a Woman on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

Incorrect. It was Ralph Tavares. A person with the first name of Frank was not a member of the group.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I only have one. It's because they played Happy Birthday to me in a bar in the boonies of Tuscarawas County way back in day:

Btw----------they really were a rock band and made the transformation.

Legend
Legend
AH WIld Cherry. They played at the Aquanaut Lounge all the time In Hammondsville Ohio in the 70's five min. from my house. Your bringing back some good memories. cool

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: berea
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

one of the sherrifs, or court security guys, in the courtroom was 72-year-old Frank Tavares, who sang More Than a Woman on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

Incorrect. It was Ralph Tavares. A person with the first name of Frank was not a member of the group.

My bad, and I truly appreciate the correction.

You may now continue with your trolling.

gmstrong

-----------------

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
as a guitar instructor in the late 70's early 80's I played in a disco band. I took a lotta flack from my heavy rocker buddies. all I had to say to them was " where are you guys playing tonight." that would usually stop the ridicule. knowing that the rockers only played 1-2 times a week I only had to say that we played 5-6 times a week. it was all in good fun.
I was a rocker myself but I truly loved playing disco. It helped my rhythm playing immensely. it also helped me find different chord locations. one particular Michael Jackson song never left the key of E I believe and it bored me to tears so I just started bouncing around different locations to break up the monotony.
we made alotta money and alotta memories.

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
Legend
Legend
If we wanted to listen to music, we went the rock bars. If we wanted to get lucky, we went to the disco bars.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
If we wanted to get lucky, we went to the disco bars.

which accounted for a lot of the good memories I mentioned. tongue

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
Legend
Legend
I miss the 70's. I was 6'7 back then when I wore my platform shoes laugh

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
I miss the 70's. I was 6'7 back then when I wore my platform shoes laugh

With taps/cleats or without. rofl

I would imagine a few on these boards graduated from taps/cleats to platforms. tongue

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... The One Music Thread We Haven't Celebrated: DISCO!

Link Copied to Clipboard