C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Crap.

Quote:
Cleveland Browns Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas is experiencing memory loss, he said in an interview released Wednesday.

Thomas could not say, though, whether playing in the NFL has caused the problem.

"I definitely expect memory loss," Thomas said on "In Depth With Graham Bensinger." "I'm already seeing memory loss, and maybe that's just because of my old age or maybe it's football, it's hard to tell.

"I mean, there's no double-blind studies when it comes to people's life. It's just a part, I think, of sometimes getting older. And it's hard to tell it's because of football or because you're 32 and you're not 21 anymore and you have a lot of stuff going in your life."

What kind of memory loss? Bensinger asked.

"Short-term memory loss -- hard times remembering things that have happened recently," he said. "Like, you walk to the grocery store and you're like, 'Huh, I can't remember what I needed to get.'

"Just little stuff like that, and I think if you let it really bug you, I think it can make you depressed and feel sad. Like, 'Wow, I don't have the memory I used to have.' But, you know, I try to be relatively good-natured about it at this point."

Thomas, 32, is entering his 11th season with the Browns. He has not missed a snap since being drafted third overall in 2007. He said he is well aware of the risks of playing in terms of long-term brain damage, but they are risks he's willing to accept.

"There's definitely a concern," Thomas said. "But the way I look at it is just about every profession in our society: There's some lasting effects. It's just the way that our society is set up. People have to work. If I was a stone mason or if I was a painter or building bridges or whatever, there's going to be some wear and tear on your body and your brain. And that's just the way it is.

"To be able to live the lifestyle and provide for my family the way that football has been able to do, to me it's a trade-off that I'm willing to accept."

The NFL has agreed to a settlement of a lawsuit filed by 5,000 former players citing the damage to their brains caused by the constant trauma of NFL play. Thomas mentioned other long-term issues believed to be linked to brain trauma.

"You look at guys with significant Alzheimer's and dementia and the mood swings and the suicides that unfortunately NFL players have been faced with," Thomas said. "And depression. Lou Gehrig's disease. These are all things that have kind of been linked to the brain damage from football.

"Those are obviously scary and frightening things, but I think from my perspective, I can't do anything about it. This was the profession that I have already chosen, and most of the damage has probably been done already. So what are the things that I can do to try to minimize my chances of having those negative effects down the line, and then do everything I possibly can. Then I can't worry about it. I have to accept it.

"But I do hope that medicine continues to improve and, in 10 years maybe, they'll be able to fix my body better than they did for the poor guys who are crippled up from playing in the NFL in the '60s and the '70s."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19249...ing-memory-loss

Legend
Legend
hmmm...what if it's cam robison at #12?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I have memory loss too. I don't think I could list all 20+ QBs that have started for us since '99 or the coaches.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

"Short-term memory loss -- hard times remembering things that have happened recently," he said. "Like, you walk to the grocery store and you're like, 'Huh, I can't remember what I needed to get.'

Apparently I've played too much football too. This and not remembering where I left my keys, or glasses are a daily occurance it seems

D
Legend
Legend
D
frown frown frown frown frown frown frown

Legend
Legend
that's scary stuff. It's gotta weigh heavily on your mind, especially when you're established, veteran, and wealthy

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Maybe it's the football, but maybe not. What he's describing is the same thing I find myself doing on a daily basis, and I haven't played a snap of competitive football in my life (I am a hockey goalie though, and played a ton in high school and college, and continue to play 2-3 times a week in mens league).

I constantly forget stuff at the grocery store. My wife writes me a list and I STILL forget stuff.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Maybe it's the football, but maybe not. What he's describing is the same thing I find myself doing on a daily basis, and I haven't played a snap of competitive football in my life (I am a hockey goalie though, and played a ton in high school and college, and continue to play 2-3 times a week in mens league).

I constantly forget stuff at the grocery store. My wife writes me a list and I STILL forget stuff.

I've always been that way as well. I need to write lists. I don't remember people's names unless I've been introduced to them several times. Ever since I've been a teenager. Very embarrassing. Even though I scored 1400 on SATs and similarly on other tests. My memory for certain things is really bad.

Last edited by sk8termom; 04/26/17 08:28 PM.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hope Joe forgets about how bad the Browns have been and stays til we win the AFCN 3 times in a row ! or the SB.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Or, you pull the list out of your pocket and think "who wrote that"? wink

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Or you drive to the gas station with a full tank of gas and only when you get out of the car in front of the pump do you finally remember that you were really supposed to be going to the grocery store.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Or you drive to the [bar] with a full tank of gas and only when you get out of the car in front of the pump do you finally remember that you were really supposed to be going to the grocery store.

Fixed

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: clwb419

Apparently I've played too much football too. This and not remembering where I left my keys, or glasses are a daily occurrence it seems

Yep, I go to the store and come home without what I went for all the time. I have had to get into the habit of always putting my keys and glasses in one place only, yet I sometimes still forget where I put them. crazy

I think that it's just called getting older.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm sure Joe knows when this became an issue. At 32 this shouldn't really be an issue if it wasn't an issue just a short time ago. I do have the same issue but I'm 58. I didn't have that issue in my 30's.

I'm worried that in 20 years from now we'll be reading some very sad headlines about Joe. Well, maybe not all of us. I'm not sure I'll make it until I'm 78.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I have this issue all the time. My wife tells me something, I have full intention of remembering it, then i turn around and take a few steps and forget.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's because you hear her but aren't actually listening to her.

At least that's what my wife tells me! lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Who are we talking about again?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
I hope Joe forgets about how bad the Browns have been and stays til we win the AFCN 3 times in a row ! or the SB.

Hey, maybe this situation is already in action . . .

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I understand people forget stuff all the time. I would be more worried if I was Joe Thomas and play football for a living because of the information we now have about head injuries and football.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Maybe it's been going on much longer than we thought, and that's how they got him to sign his contract.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
Early 30s is a little soon to be having these problems.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Early 30s is a little soon to be having these problems.

pfft... I was forgetting what I opened the fridge door for by age 25.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I had something to say about this topic, but I can't remember what it was.

O
Legend
Legend
O
JT showing his youth here. That's just part of aging.

All Pro
All Pro
I was sadly hoping that this was going to be an uplifting post about how he's seeing an institutional memory loss in Berea. The good kind where they forget about the recent losing ways.

This is not as fun, but still a good read.

Thank you.

Last in, first out, the sign of a true champion!
[Linked Image from i301.photobucket.com]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Browns' Thomas: Already seeing memory loss

Link Copied to Clipboard