V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Read La'Var's quotes closely and tell me what you think:

Quote:
LaVar Ball: Son can listen to Kobe Bryant, but he's 'got to play his game'

LaVar Ball says he wouldn't seek any advice for his son Lonzo Ball, a top NBA draft prospect, from retired? Los Angeles Lakers great Kobe Bryant.

"I don't need no advice from Kobe Bryant," LaVar Ball said Thursday on the Keyshawn, Jorge and LZ Show on ESPN Radio 710 LA. "I don't need advice from Kobe Bryant. Zo's got to play his game.

"If they're at practice and he sees something and Lonzo listens to him or whatever, he's good. ... But it's just not, 'OK, I'm talking to Kobe, so now I'm going to be good.' If Kobe sees something that Zo is doing, then go from there. But I'm not trying to pattern after nobody."

Bryant told ESPN that his desire to mentor younger players was spurred by pop star Michael Jackson, who told him during a visit to Neverland Ranch to reach out to all the greats in your profession and learn from them.

"I'm around for all the guys," Bryant told ESPN. "Anybody can reach out. It's an open book."

Bryant told ESPN that he's had "many conversations" during the playoffs with Boston Celtics star Isaiah Thomas, who is just one of many current NBA stars who have reached out to Bryant for advice.

Bryant said he also talks regularly with Kyrie Irving, James Harden, Russell Westbrook and Gordon Hayward.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/lavar-ball-son-listen-kobe-bryant-play-game/story?id=47370961

Legend
Legend
Not sure who's more obnoxious: Lavar Ball for saying whatever stupid crap he can to stay relevant. Or ESPN for constantly giving him the platform to do it. crazy

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
What slays me is how he is talking about his son and then keeps slipping up and uses words like "I" or "I'm."

Dude is seriously living his life through his son. As a former coach, I saw it often...........but, I've never seen a worse case than this loser.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
You should watch Trophy Kids if you have netflix. It's harrowing.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I have Netflix, but I really don't watch TV other than sports.

Give me a synopsis, please?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Not sure who's more obnoxious: Lavar Ball for saying whatever stupid crap he can to stay relevant. Or ESPN for constantly giving him the platform to do it. crazy

Guy annoys me like crazy... But he's a marketing genius.... He's gotten millions of dollars worth of publicity for free.... We'll see if it translates into sales... If Lonzo is good I think his company will do pretty welll

<><

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
He's lost his kid millions in endorsements already. You are going to hear about dissention amongst the family in the future...
Watch.

"Awww Nawww Big Slimdog!!!"
-Eminem, "B**** Please Pt. II"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
You should watch Trophy Kids if you have netflix. It's harrowing.

Man, that was a hard watch. And all of the parents thought they were doing it the right way. I wanted to throw up during and after watching that. Horrible.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
So.....i've thought about this, listened to other players, media, etc. talked to my dad as well, who really educated me on the topic.

while what Ball says is stupid......well, it's bringing attention to his brand.

the pre-sales on the shoes don't look good, as of now. but they still sold enough to get it started. they are also selling shirts and such pretty well.

also....Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, etc, all profit massively off of these players. Ball simply wants that money going directly to his kids/family, making their own brand instead of letting the big name companies make all the profit.

and honestly, there's nothing wrong with that.

if if Ball goes to the lakers(magic already hinted at that), and he balls out (pun intended)?

Then BBB is gonna blow up, and it's gonna be the new product that all the kids and yougn adults are gonna want to wear.

and then the perceived bad PR the dad is bringing is gonna turn around and be the best roll out for a new brand this country has seen in a very long time, when it comes to sports apparel.

All this depends on how well his son plays. And honestly...nothing his dad is saying is gonna affect his play on the court. the kid is going top 2 in the draft no matter what his dad says.

and the more people talk about it, linking and such, you're only helping his exposure to the market.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think you made a ton of great points. Yes, he is a marketing genius. Yes, he is getting attention. Yes, the big companies suck. Yes, there is nothing wrong w/making money.

On the other hand, I think this guy is living vicariously through his sons and is harming them due to his own self-interests.

Legend
Legend
i agree....but i dunno how deep that goes, as far as him living through his kids.

business at its very nature is all about self-interest. it's all about marketing, a lot of luck, and projecting confidence even if your product isn't superior to the competition.

and that's the model Ball is following.

he is a massive jerk, i think we all agree on that. however, everything he does is dependent on one thing: how well his son plays, or how much of a bust he is.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Just wait............he has two more sons and he is already trying to get the high school coach fired. LOL

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Just wait............he has two more sons and he is already trying to get the high school coach fired. LOL

He already did that.

The coach actually said it was a relief.

C
Legend
Legend
C
On the other hand, I think this guy is living vicariously through his sons and is harming them due to his own self-interests.

I know someone who is from Chino Hills and is friendly with Lavar Ball. The person says that Lavar Ball is actually a great guy and is extremely supportive of his kids. He is doing what he does for his kids, not for himself.

I don't know if I agree with that, but it is a perspective I haven't seen or heard before.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I think there's a certain genius to what he's doing. I don't know if it's going to work, but it will be interesting to watch it play out.

I think only one of the three sons has to be a superstar at the pro level for it to work the way they want it. He's got three cracks at it.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I think there's a certain genius to what he's doing. I don't know if it's going to work, but it will be interesting to watch it play out.

I think only one of the three sons has to be a superstar at the pro level for it to work the way they want it. He's got three cracks at it.

Lonzo is definitely the best of the three. If he is an All-Star level player he will make more money off endorsements than he would have if he signed a shoe deal straight away. If the Baller Brand tanks, then he can always put his tail between his legs and go back to on of the big three. There is also the Chinese shoe companies.

O
Legend
Legend
O
What slays me is how he is talking about his son and then keeps slipping up and uses words like "I" or "I'm."

Dude is seriously living his life through his son. As a former coach, I saw it often...........but, I've never seen a worse case than this loser.

That was the first thing I noticed. Saying 'we' would've been bad enough...

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Lamelo! And don't you mean the big 4? Zo already knows about ugly shoes. Would fit in perfectly with Under Armor.

Legend
Legend

I don't know. I think he's putting a big bullseye on his son's back for other shoe's banner carriers. You don't think Lebron is going to want to eviscerate this guy for Nike? It's almost like turf wars when it comes to shoe deals.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Check this one out:

Quote:
LaVar Ball's Wednesday appearance on Fox Sports One's The Herd crossed an uncomfortable line when he disrespected co-host Kristine Leahy live on the air. After telling Leahy to "stay in your lane" and refusing to even look at her, Ball took it a step further and threatened Leahy.

"I never disrespect women," Ball said. "But I'll tell you what, if you act like that, guess what? Something's coming to you, and it's okay."

Full article here: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ft...-fs1/101812110/

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I don't get how Ball threatened her. He's clearly talking about some karma like energy. I don't think Lavar is a violent man. He's loud, brash and annoying, but I don't think he's violent. I think we have to keep in mind that Kristine Leahy has casually implied that Lavar is an abusive and bad parent on their show a lot.

Legend
Legend
from seeing the interview, I kinda thought she was egging him on .. seems like she's playing both sides here. she was destroying him for weeks and now plays the victim.

and I'm no fan of Lavar Ball anyways

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Like I said in Cavs thread, this dude, regardless of his intentions, is making it so much harder on Lonzo to have a chance..the pressure he's going to face to be great might be enough to crack him..Best thing that can happen is back off, let Lonzo do what he's going to do, then if he turns out to be a great player, then thats when you leverage for your endorsements..thats what's going to make the big baller brand go anywhere..you can't even consider that company legitimate.. Their sales are equivalent to guy selling merch at a flea market. He sold a couple hundred pairs of those shoes, by comparison Nike sells 25 pairs of shoes a second. So it literally took 10 seconds for Nike to sell more shoes. He's not helping his kids, there is no genius to it, it's a proven model that all nba stars have abided for years..The big 3 will take care of you in endorsements.. Look at lebron's 1billion+ deal with Nike. Lonzo would be 100% better off being represented by one of the big 3 than his crazy dad trying to push inferior merchandise

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
He said they've sold about 400 shoes thus far, which is peanuts haha. Sure, I know his plan is to garner attention and all of that ... but there's no way BBB can sustain

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
He said they've sold about 400 shoes thus far, which is peanuts haha. Sure, I know his plan is to garner attention and all of that ... but there's no way BBB can sustain

If his son is good, they will sell a ton of shoes. It helps that he is likely going to the Lakers and he is from the LA area. Many people in LA have money to burn.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

If his son is good, they will sell a ton of shoes. It helps that he is likely going to the Lakers and he is from the LA area. Many people in LA have money to burn.

But that's the thing. If his 19 year old son is good. The NBA usually takes time. Especially with these 19-20 year old one and done guys.

He's thrown huge expectations on his son, which, if he struggles early, could end up being a real problem

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

But that's the thing. If his 19 year old son is good. The NBA usually takes time. Especially with these 19-20 year old one and done guys.

He's thrown huge expectations on his son, which, if he struggles early, could end up being a real problem

It's not the same level of attention, but he did the same thing before he was in college and Lonzo delivered. I think Lonzo is a bit of a robot and is probably used to his dad's shenanigans.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

It's not the same level of attention, but he did the same thing before he was in college and Lonzo delivered. I think Lonzo is a bit of a robot and is probably used to his dad's shenanigans.
He will probably go to the Lakers, but I don't think I would draft him as the 2nd best player in the draft. He's not a good enough shooter (yet, maybe) and he was exposed big time against Kentucky. His passing is top notch, but that's about it right now. It's going to take time and I wouldn't pick him if I were LA (but they will)

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I don't know about sales just because he's good.

Jordan was good and was a good guy overall.

LeBron is good and he seems like a pretty good guy.

It's easy to spend money on someone with talent who is likeable.

Not so easy to spend it on someone who has talent but seems like an a**hole.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
The dad is the bad guy (if he is even a bad guy). No one has anything bad to say about Lonzo.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I managed to be completely oblivious to this guy for a while. Heard enough to gather that he was cranky, loud, and obnoxious.

Then I watched the video of him on Colin Cowherd the other day. I can't say enough how I instantly disliked him. I'm not dragging sexism into the conversation but the way he treated the cohost, regardless of gender, made him a total (keeping it clean) jerk.

His sons are talented athletes and this guy is an attention-grubbing nobody who is qualified for nothing but a trashy reality show. He needs to stop getting attention (kinda being a hypocrite here) and go away.

I don't like tangents but how on Earth did Cowherd not set him straight?? I'd have ended that conversation and said don't ever come back.

C
Legend
Legend
C
ESPN and FS1 created the monster by giving him a platform. Not only people tune in to watch him (and watch the clips online), but he also creates content for future shows. They are in on it.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

This is why Lavar went off btw. Imagine if they were talking about your relationship with your child.

I think Kristine was completely disrespectful and made herself a victim by trying to attack him.

Legend
Legend
ESPN and FS1 created the monster by giving him a platform. Not only people tune in to watch him (and watch the clips online), but he also creates content for future shows. They are in on it.

Honestly, he's using the Donald Trump tried-and-true method of getting publicity, because the moronic media can't get out of the way of themselves. crazy

Say something outlandish enough that doesn't get you into legal trouble, but makes the media talk about you. Wash, rinse, repeat until you are a household name, and you've paid absolutely nothing for the free pub.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The dad is the bad guy (if he is even a bad guy). No one has anything bad to say about Lonzo.

Do you believe that fans will not connect the dots between the two?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
good or not, he's not going to sell a ton of 500/900 dollar shoes when you get get expert engineered Lebron/Kyries from nike for less than 200

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

Question: Does anyone know what manufacturer makes his shoes?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll bet teams are considering the fact that if you draft the kid the baggage (dad) comes along also.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

This is why Lavar went off btw. Imagine if they were talking about your relationship with your child.

I think Kristine was completely disrespectful and made herself a victim by trying to attack him.

While any parent would probably not like what she said very much, it was totally inbounds to be said by her or anyone. Lavar Ball has made it that way with his antics. You open the door and a lot of stuff becomes fair game. That's on Lavar and no one else.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

While any parent would probably not like what she said very much, it was totally inbounds to be said by her or anyone. Lavar Ball has made it that way with his antics. You open the door and a lot of stuff becomes fair game. That's on Lavar and no one else.

pretty much, if La'var would be like 99.99999% of other parents, the only thing people would be talking about is Lonzo as a nba prospect, now everyone just talking about La'var...when you're a nobody, you have to be a somebody, his kids are just his way for his 15 minutes

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum La'Var Ball at it Again

Link Copied to Clipboard