Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I don't like the NFL's responses throughout this off-season to talk that NFL games were too long. They are taking away more snaps [which is why we watch] while not reducing commercials, promos, rules that are subject to interpretation which leads to lengthy delays, and long-winded explanations of penalties.

Baseball does the same thing. It's stupid. Play the game, show the game.

Oops, follow the money. Commercials are what make games take too long. Commercials bring in revenue.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I don't get the point of this one:

Quote:
The @NFL has passed a rule change moving overtime from 15 minutes to 10 minutes, per league official. Expected but important.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/867051575885406209

They want more ties???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab

Quote:
The @NFL has passed a rule change moving overtime from 15 minutes to 10 minutes, per league official. Expected but important.

They want more ties???
If they want more ties, they should spend Christmas with my family. smile

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
If the league truly wants less snaps in OT, then disallow punting. Or at least only allow the first receiving team to punt once. After that, you have to keep going for it. Eventually, someone will get the ball close enough to kick a FG. Done.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Just used the college rules.

They only care about offense anyways.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend

Quote:

They want more ties???

I'm guessing they want more urgency. They don't want teams being conservative thinking they will have 3 possessions to try to score.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
1) In regards to overtime, they should just use the NCAA rules. But the NFL using a concept from the NCAA, is just as bad as admitting your younger sibling is smarter than you. Goodell aint doing that. lol.

2) Only one cut day? That's crazy! Waiver wire will be insane. Scouts/Front office will be plenty busy! Wow.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Quote:

They want more ties???

I'm guessing they want more urgency. They don't want teams being conservative thinking they will have 3 possessions to try to score.

Nah, this is yet another dumb response to the games taking too long.

Most of what they are doing is going to cause them to continue to lose viewers.

We watch to see game action. The running clock, the endless explanations, the commercials, the promos, the dumb ass interviews, the change of the kickoff rules, the lengthy reviews, etc are NOT entertaining.

I get they can't cut the commercials due to the obscene salaries that NFL players make, but the rest......their trying to fix something by actually implementing more rules that will only displease their fan base.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

If we thought the bottom-of-the-roster churning made our heads spin in recent years, wait until they go from 90-53 in one day. That's 1,504 guys whacked at once...then the teams fill...what...320 PS spots?

That will make late training camp much more challenging for the coaches as they prepare for the regular season. Sometimes the herd needs culled before letting them out to graze.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
That's 1,504 guys whacked at once...then the teams fill...what...320 PS spots?

It'll be interesting to see the frenzy that ensues with teams trying to pick up some of those higher end players that were cut because a younger guy showed his worth and is significantly cheaper, whereas a really good team could be looking for that final piece for depth reasons or because an injury happened in camp. Not too mention the varying talent level among bottom teams, some players cut on some teams may be perceived as more valuable than the ones that made the cut down to 53. Then a second wave of cuts may happen in situations like that

Honestly, it may end up being a mini FA period with so many players hitting the market all at one time. I'm curious to see how it all unfolds.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
That will be a crazy market when the Flood occurs. And if the cut is that severe, and number is reduced by about half, let's get rid of one of the preseason games. No need to evaluate what isn't here, and some should not suit up. Enough coaches to evaluate; up or down. And how would you monitor the flushed players from every other club?

I doubt that this is why numbers decline. I am enjoying NFL less as we get more stupid scheduling, halftimes, rule fiddling (I remain OK with sudden death), and some other lunacy decisions. Hope we win some this year.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Quote:
Per source, the owners just passed a resolution eliminating the 75-man cutdown. So now, there'll be just one cutdown day -- 90 to 53.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/867044517865803776

That's a lot of dudes getting cut in one day.

Why did the NFL pass this resolution? I am not educated on that part of the NFL. What possible reason would they have doing something so radical? The only thing I can think of is to generate more of a buzz as teams scramble to claim players and then more buzz when a second round of guys become available after the initial cuts.

Is this just a marketing ploy or does it help the teams and players in any way?

Legend
Legend
maybe it enhances the quality of the 4th preseason game? better players will be fighting for jobs? just spit balling

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
I should have put an emoticon after what I said.
As I was joking and being sarcastic...my bad.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Quote:
Per source, the owners just passed a resolution eliminating the 75-man cutdown. So now, there'll be just one cutdown day -- 90 to 53.

Why did the NFL pass this resolution? I am not educated on that part of the NFL. What possible reason would they have doing something so radical? The only thing I can think of is to generate more of a buzz as teams scramble to claim players and then more buzz when a second round of guys become available after the initial cuts.

Maybe they feel that more bottom of the roster guys being available for game 4 will help teams make decisions on those players.

I don't know if I agree with that though.

Last edited by YTownBrownsFan; 05/24/17 09:23 AM. Reason: can't type

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
1) In regards to overtime, they should just use the NCAA rules. But the NFL using a concept from the NCAA, is just as bad as admitting your younger sibling is smarter than you. Goodell aint doing that.

That's not the reason NCAA overtime rules will never happen. Have you seen how long many of these NCAA football games have gone on in overtime? If the NFL wants shorter game times this surly isn't a solution.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I've been thinking about this and the only thing I can come up with is this...
When the cuts were done in two stages the first guys to get cut were the very bottom roster guys. Those guys then hit the open market first. Giving them opportunities to fill spots on other team's rosters before the next wave of cuts. And that next cut was of players that were bubble type talents. Guys that maybe have a better chance of making another squad. But since they get cut later it's possible that they don't get the same opportunities to get looked at because many of the roster holes around the league were filled after the first cut.
Yes teams can again cut a player they signed after the first cut to sign a player cut during the second cut but why add to the confusion. Or the fact that GMs and coaches only have so much time to worry about bubble players. If they get a player cut in the first wave into camp and see him a few days are they going to want to start over the evaluation of another player that got cut in the second wave?
This I think prevents all this.

[Linked Image]
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I'll take a stab at this one with my GUESS; perhaps this gives teams more to evaluate and keep the established starters less of a chance to be injured in the preseason? It also gives teams more time to evaluate practice squad players without chipping away at the older "Joe Thomas'" on their teams?

I am cool with this decision if this is the case. Plus, isn't preseason cheaper when evaluating (please correct me)?

E
Legend
Legend
E
If they are going to mess with this in that fashion.

I say eliminate the Tie breaker during the regular season and just have it for the playoffs.

Many games you see teams play conservative to let time run out and they feel if they regroup and use the tie breaker system they have a better chance.

Now there will be more urgency in scoring that last drive instead of running the clock out. Playoffs are a different thing.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Quote:

My guess is that it is so team's don't have to play anyone who is going to make the team in the fourth preseason game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks to all of you who tried to answer that question. You all made sense. It still seems kinda crazy, but we'll see.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Roger Goodell is expected to tell NFL owners group celebrations, using ball as prop after TDs, going to ground, snow angels are now allowed.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/867036322409717760

Quote:
Prolonged acts, miming weapons, offensive gestures, sexually suggestive stuff still expected to be banned. That includes twerking. Sorry, AB

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/867036453691437056

Quote:
Goodell has been meeting with players for months on this. Emphasis on spontaneous exuberance. Result should be more fun, fewer flags.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/867036524340236288

Marvin Lewis rips NFL for loosening celebration rules, says it's bad for kids

Hey Marvin, is drafting Joe Mixon also good for kids?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum NFL adopts 8 rule changes, 3 bylaw changes for 2017 season

Link Copied to Clipboard