Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...3e-4ae389cdff6f

Grigson was dreadful with the Colts. Let's hope he is better when he's not in charge.

Legend
Legend
yeah, wow that's a surprise ... let's hope he doesn't wanna bring in trent richardson

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Finally, some experience in the front office.

Berry has experience with him, and our OL is pretty much in place, so maybe it will work for us.

As long as he doesn't convince us to trade for Trent Richardson, I don't think he'll have much impact one way or another.

I need to go back and look at who all he's drafted, see if any positions are better than others. I'm thinking WR maybe.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't like this hire... at all. Trent's name has already been mentioned and yeah, definitely been dreadful there in Indy.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL.........I guess I spoke too soon on the FO thread. I forgot he was that guy. blush

O
Legend
Legend
O
What will he actually be doing/responsible for?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
What will he actually be doing/responsible for?

He does not outrank Berry, that's all we know. My guess is he'll just be a high ranking scout (maybe he won't have to travel very much).

In general, I am in favor of having as many experienced voices as possible, but Grigson's track record with the Colts was so bad that I don't know if having him around is a good thing.

Side note: we lost Lake Dawson to the Bills.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
OK, but only if he brings Luck with him...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Grigson was dreadful with the Colts. Let's hope he is better when he's not in charge.

Yes he was, Colt Fans were happy when he got let go. I'm not sure he can be better...especially at what ?

I don't like this hire in any form.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Not a fan.

Tackles are tackles.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I don't know why this bothers people. He won't be making final decisions. Yeah he traded for Richardson, but all FO guys screw up. He's been in the NFL long time, he seems to be well-regarded in league circles, so Grigson can't be a total buffoon.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Maybe this move was more about the new rule change when a lot of final roster cuts hit the streets at once.
I believe I heard like 450 players will be getting let go after
preseason. Below is the revised rule...

"However, a rule voted on by the majority of NFL owners, removed the 75-man roster cut.
This means teams can carry 90 players throughout the entire preseason,
making final roster cuts hours before the regular season begins"

We need all the input we can get, so maybe we are actually being proactive to the new rule.
I see no problem with adding an experienced evaluation person.
I don't believe he will be running the scouting dept.

If I only knew then what I know today...
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think he is "well-regarded," bro. I think most believe he is a buffoon who made a ton of bad moves and forced the coaching staff to play certain players.

I saw that we got a guy from the Colts in the FO thread and was happy. I didn't realize that it was that guy.

I just hope he doesn't have too much say in things.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I'm pretty certain he won't have a huge say in final decisions on drafts/personnel. He may have been in over his head with Indy, but that doesn't mean he won't thrive, or at the very least contribute, in a lesser role.
To be honest, as long as he isn't making trades for us, I really don't care lol.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Notice he was hired after the draft
Other wise he would have tried to convince Sashi to trade the 2 1st Rd picks
To Eagles for Wendell Smallwood
The Browns have this thing about hiring failures from other regimes
And qbs that 31 other teams wouldn't touch

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

I think Ryan Grigson was in over his head while in Indpls. I am a big believer getting people who struggled at a higher level. It was obvious at one time Colts hired thinking he had some football knowledge. Coming to Cleveland, who everyone considers misfits, maybe the ticket learning a different approach.

Ryan wasn't hired to be the GM. Lets hope he has a bounce back.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I don't think he is "well-regarded," bro. I think most believe he is a buffoon who made a ton of bad moves and forced the coaching staff to play certain players.

I saw that we got a guy from the Colts in the FO thread and was happy. I didn't realize that it was that guy.

I just hope he doesn't have too much say in things.

Was it Grigson or Irsay? Indpls hasn't been right since losing Bill Polian. Gawd I dislike Bill, but I will say he did build a good team. Have you noticed Colts hired a few Browns' past front office guys this year?

Does anyone follow player personal or scouting who can add something about Grigson? I think the book maybe better than the cover.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Colts' Ryan Grigson voted Sporting News' Executive of the Year

Ryan Grigson’s eye for talent is easy to see, just take a close look at the Colts’ 2012 draft class. It is an impressive group.

Taking Andrew Luck with the first pick was just the beginning. Coby Fleener (second round) Dwayne Allen (third round), T.Y. Hilton (third round), Vick Ballard (fifth round) and LaVon Brazill (sixth round) were all part of a Colts’ rookie goldmine drafted by Grigson. All of those first-year players contributed immediately and the Colts become the NFL’s most surprising playoff team.

Give Grigson his props for making a strong first impression. He is Sporting News’ NFL Executive of the Year in a close vote (9-8) ahead of Denver Broncos executive vice president John Elway. Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider had three votes, followed by Washington Redskins executive VP/GM Bruce Allen and Houston Texans GM/executive VP Rick Smith with two apiece.

What Grigson does for an encore remains to be seen. But on the strength of his first draft, the Colts look set to have a long run of success, with far fewer holes to fill than when Grigson came aboard. When Grigson was hired as the Colts’ general manager last January, he wasn't shy about his ability to find players.

"It’s all about finding talent," Grigson said. "You either know it, see it or sense it or you don’t. That’s been one of my strong suits that has carried me to this position in my career."

Grigson was part of a major franchise overall by Jim Irsay that worked out splendidly. Grigson had a tough act to follow, replacing longtime Colts front office honcho Bill Polian, who built a Super Bowl champion in Indianapolis. However, Irsay sensed it was time to head in a new direction, and Grigson wasn't intimidated when he took the job.

"I know I’m younger than Mr. Polian, but at one time he took his first step too," Grigson said at his introductory news conference. "I’ve taken my first step and I feel confident. I feel I have the support system I need to be successful and an owner who is going to support me in this."

Grigson, 41, has been described by Irsay as "a riser", somebody who will become even better as the years go by. If Irsay is right, the Colts can look forward to another long run of success under Grigson’s watchful eye for talent.
ABOUT THE AWARDS

Sporting News polled more than 800 NFL players, coaches and executives for our 2012 awards. Everyone voted for offensive and defensive player of the year, rookie of the year and comeback player of the year. Only coaches and executives voted for coach of the year, coordinator of the year, executive of the year and SN’s All-Pro team.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/447...ive-of-the-year

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:
Quote:
Browns hire Ryan Grigson ... hey, wait a second

By Dan Hanzus
End Around Writer
Published: May 24, 2017 at 07:31 p.m.
Ryan Grigson has landed on his feet in a surprising place.

The Browns announced Wednesday that Grigson, the former Colts general manager, has been hired as Cleveland's senior personnel executive. Grigson will answer to Cleveland football czar Sashi Brown.

Grigson, 45, joins the Browns following a five-year stint as GM in Indianapolis. He was fired in January and replaced by Chris Ballard.

"Ryan brings valuable experience to our personnel group," Brown said in a team release. "He was raised as a road-scout and has been evaluating talent in this league for almost 20 years. We place a premium on that experience and on his passion for football. Ryan has much to offer to any personnel department and we are pleased that he chose to join our staff."

Grigson and the Browns have ... history. In 2013, Grigson pulled the trigger on the infamous trade that sent a first-round pick to Cleveland in exchange for running back Trent Richardson. Richardson was a massive bust for the Colts and the move left a permanent yolk stain on Grigson's grill. The Browns did their part to minimize the bad PR by taking Johnny Manziel with the pick they gained.

Neither player is currently in the NFL.

It's perhaps eyebrow-raising that the Browns would now hire the man they once fleeced so publicly. This is the Browns though. They do this stuff, even when they're in the midst of one of their bi-annual cycles of optimism.

What's that, Pat McAfee?

Follow
Pat McAfee ✔ @PatMcAfeeShow

Hahahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/browns/status/867511268978163712
6:49 PM - 24 May 2017

3,726 3,726 Retweets 7,558 7,558 likes

Well that's not nice.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000811199/article/browns-hire-ryan-grigson-hey-wait-a-second

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Colts' Ryan Grigson ranked as one of worst general managers in NFL

Rotoworld's Patrick Daugherty recently ranked the NFL's general managers, and the Colts' Ryan Grigson did not fare favorably.

by Josh Wilson@JoshWilsonSB Apr 17, 2016, 5:14pm EDT

Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports

When it comes to Colts coach Chuck Pagano and general manager Ryan Grigson, it's safe to say that many outside of the organization have doubts. Owner Jim Irsay made a loud statement of support for them by giving both men extensions this offseason, however, so it seems that Pagano and Grigson will be the ones leading the Colts for the foreseeable future.

That doesn't mean the doubts have gone away, though. Earlier this offseason, Rotoworld's Patrick Daugherty ranked the NFL's coaches and had Chuck Pagano 21st out of 26 returning head coaches. Daugherty recently ranked the league's general managers and, as it turns out, Ryan Grigson fared even worse than Pagano did.

Daugherty ranked Grigson 25th on his list, one that ranked just 28 GMs due to four teams hiring new ones (and the new hires don't factor into the ranking this year).

Ryan Grigson is destined to end up the story of one player. The question is whether it will be Andrew Luck or Trent Richardson. Grigson began his career with the safest pick since Peyton Manning. Ever since, it's been a long, strange trip. Three straight 11-5 seasons helped Grigson mask missteps like Richardson and Bjoern Werner, but the benefit of the doubt vanished with last year's 8-8 campaign. You could argue it's a miracle the Colts were as good as they were with Luck missing nine games, but an injured and absent Luck exposed Grigson's roster for what it is: A top-heavy collection of players either much older or much worse than their quarterback. Grigson has struggled for impactful draft picks since a rookie class that included Luck, Dwayne Allen, T.Y. Hilton and Coby Fleener, and too often filled out his roster with veterans other teams were glad to get rid of. From T-Rich to Werner to Andre Johnson, he's gotten far too many of his big decisions wrong. Luck got Grigson off to the best possible start, but the finish line is much further away than it should be four years into his golden goose's career.

This seems pretty accurate when considering the national perception of Grigson and the Colts: the perception (and it has a lot of truth to it) is that the Colts aren't an overly talented team but have been carried by Andrew Luck. That doesn't give credit to the 6-3 record the Colts posted without Luck in 2015, which helped show that the Colts do have some talent elsewhere, but it's a perception that does have quite a bit of truth behind it. The Colts, coming off of a complete rebuild following the 2011 season, achieved immediate success largely due to their quarterback, who proved to be able to work behind a bad offensive line and with talent deficiencies all over the depth chart.

Grigson's resume with the Colts is filled with plenty of hits and misses, though some of the misses are much more glaring. There's the trade for Trent Richardson, the drafting of Bjoern Werner, and the signing of LaRon Landry, plus several other questionable moves. On the good side, there's the trade for Vontae Davis, the drafting of T.Y. Hilton, and the signing of Kendall Langford, among others. The analysis of Grigson's time with the Colts isn't black and white, but the bottom line is that he has had a very good quarterback playing for super cheap and hasn't been able to put together a top-tier roster. That's where a lot of the perception with Grigson comes in, as there are legitimate and justified doubts about whether he'll be able to build the Colts into a Super Bowl contender moving forward.

When looking around the NFL, Grigson isn't the worst in the league at his job, but he's also nowhere near the top either. His being ranked 25th on this list doesn't surprise me, nor do I think it's too far from accurate. The reality for Ryan Grigson is simple: he has to prove himself. There are plenty of doubters, and Grigson will now face a tougher challenge of working around a massive contract for Andrew Luck, giving the GM less cap space to work with than he has had in previous years. Regardless of whether you think this ranking is accurate or not, it's clear that Grigson has plenty of pressure to produce and build the Colts into a Super Bowl team.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/4/17/11...managers-in-nfl

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
[color:#33FF33]Want to Blame Someone? Start with GM Ryan Grigson[/color]

by Josh Wilson@JoshWilsonSB Nov 25, 2013, 8:00am EST

Much of the talk this past week was about the relationship between Chuck Pagano and Bruce Arians and had us all reminiscing about the incredible feel-good story that was the 2012 Indianapolis Colts and the #ChuckStrong campaign. Bruce Arians did a phenomenal job at holding the team together in Pagano's absence while the first year head coach battled leukemia, and a team that was rebuilding less than a year after blowing everything up after a 2 win season.

But someone who deserved (and got) just as much credit was the Colts first year general manager, Ryan Grigson. A longtime scout who most recently was the Eagles' director of player personnel before being hired by Jim Irsay as the Colts new general manager, replacing Bill Polian. Ryan Grigson went to work early, hiring Chuck Pagano as his head coach and then selecting quarterback Andrew Luck with the first overall pick in the 2012 draft - a pick that Irsay made as much as Grigson and a pick that seems easy now, but if you remember there were some who thought Robert Griffin III was actually better than Luck (you don't hear from them anymore because they quietly put on Andrew Luck jerseys trying to right their mistake).

But Grigson didn't stop there. In the second round, he selected Coby Fleener, Luck's tight end at Stanford. In the third round, he grabbed another tight end, Dwayne Allen out of Clemson. He traded back up into the third to draft a speedy wide receiver out of Florida International, T.Y. Hilton. He added running back Vick Ballard out of Mississippi State in the fifth round.

Additionally, Grigson scoured free agency, trying to find lower-priced players who could help the severely cap-limited Colts, who were paying upwards of $30 million dollars to players not even on the team any more. He signed defensive lineman Cory Redding from Baltimore, and signed linemen Samson Satele and Mike McGlynn and traded for Winston Justice - all three of whom were nothing more than stop-gaps to try to hold the line over until the following year, when the Colts had the resources to actually address it. Grigson went to unconventional places too, signing Jerrell Freeman out of the Canadian Football League shortly after being hired. Freeman seemed like an insignificant signing early on, but ended up being a huge move. Grigson made trades for cornerbacks Cassius Vaughn, Josh Gordy, and most importantly Vontae Davis - a player with shutdown corner potential but who had yet to reach that level. Grigson never stopped, either. Midseason he signed cornerback Darius Butler, who played a key role in the Colts' season last year.

It was a magical year in many different ways, and one of those was the fact that Ryan Grigson put together a squad that made the playoffs despite winning just 2 games the year before and having serious salary cap limitations - in his first year as a general manager. Ryan Grigson was named the NFL's Executive of the Year and everything came together perfectly for the Colts as they went 11-5 and made the playoffs.

Because of his incredible success in building the Colts team so quickly, Ryan Grigson's name was being thrown around NFL circles as one of the hottest general managers in football and, with another great year this year, many thought he would then be considered one of the league's best general managers, period.

Perhaps Ryan Grigson fell victim to his own success. Perhaps the Colts magical season turned out to be a curse. This team was never supposed to be contending this soon. When Peyton Manning signed with Denver, I said that I thought the Colts might be starting to contend by the time he was getting close to retirement - in three or so years. That seemed like the best case scenario, and then by training camp I made the super bold statement and said that there was a chance they could make the playoffs in as little as two years.

But then 2012 happened, and with it 11 wins and a playoff appearance behind a phenomenal effort by Grigson's additions - namely, the rookies. Entering this season, Grigson's job was not to continue to rebuild this team - it was to make and win a Super Bowl. That is an extremely tall task for a team that still had numerous holes to fill. The Colts were still rebuilding, they just now were expected to build on the go. They didn't get a chance to put everything together; they had to do it on the fly.

Still, though, the Colts had over $40 million in cap space to spend. They had several needs, but Ryan Grigson also had a lot of resources to address them. Brad Wells outlined the five major needs for the Colts in the offseason as running back, offensive line, defensive end, outside linebacker, and safety. And, Ryan Grigson addressed each of those areas.

And in each of those areas, it looks like he failed.

Running Back: He would have gotten a bit of a pass here. After all, it wasn't his fault that Vick Ballard or free agent addition Ahmad Bradshaw would both end up on season ending IR after playing just three games. And he also took a low risk seventh round pick on Kerwynn Williams that, while it didn't work out, wasn't a bad move. The injuries would have given him a pass. But then he made the blockbuster move and gave up the Colts' first round pick in 2014 for Trent Richardson. The trade - so far - has been a disaster. While I'm not ready to give up on Richardson as a back quite yet, I'm certainly ready to say that so far, the trade was terrible. The Colts gave up a first round pick that is even more valuable to them than most playoff teams, seeing as they are still trying to rebuild, and in exchange got a running back who has averaged less than three yards per carry. In fact, here is a list of all the Colts players who have impressed me more running the ball than Trent Richardson: Donald Brown, Vick Ballard, Ahmad Bradshaw, Andrew Luck, Daniel "Boom" Herron, and Stanley Havili. The Richardson trade has been awful for the Colts so far, and it hasn't impacted this year's team as much as it has impacted their future - which, right now, is more important anyway.

Offensive Line: Early on, I said, "well, at least he tried!" when talking about Grigson's efforts to improve an offensive line that was perhaps the worst in football a year ago. Jim Irsay even said publicly multiple times that the Colts absolutely needed to improve in their protection of their franchise quarterback, Andrew Luck. Instead, it has been Ryan Grigson's biggest and most glaring failure this year. The offensive line is just as bad as it was a year ago. Andrew Luck is still getting hit more than anyone in the NFL and there is nowhere for the running backs to run. Those "stop gap" linemen I mentioned he signed last year? Two of the three still start, despite Grigson having over $40 million to spend and with the offensive line the first priority for his owner and, as a former offensive lineman himself, for him as well. He signed guard Donald Thomas from New England and tackle Gosder Cherilus from Detroit. He drafted guard Hugh Thornton from Illinois in the third round and center Khaled Holmes from USC in the fourth. Many believed he overpaid on both Thomas and Cherilus and the earliest he took a lineman was the third round. This position too has been affected by injury - Donald Thomas was lost for the season shortly into the second game, and he looked to be a good addition. Cherilus, though? He has been an upgrade, but his 5 year $34 million dollar contract could have been better spent on someone else. Thornton and Holmes both missed training camp, but Thornton was thrust into the starting lineup after Thomas' injury. He has struggled since entering the starting lineup. And Khaled Holmes, despite playing behind a center in Samson Satele who has been just plain bad, has only managed to be active in one game and played sparingly. Some might still use my old excuse of, "well, at least he tried," but honestly, was that a good effort? I mean, overpaying for two good but not great linemen (when there were a few great ones available) and drafting two linemen in the mid rounds isn't exactly showing that the offensive line was priority number one. The play on the field hasn't shown that either, and the result has been that Andrew Luck has had no time whatsoever and has had to do it all himself, and the run game hasn't been able to get any holes to get any sustained success. The Colts once again have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL, and it doesn't matter whether Grigson tried to fix it or not - the bottom line is that it didn't work, and it never seemed like he did the best he could, either. It seemed like he settled a bit. And now, it's clear that he failed at his biggest priority of the offseason: improving the offensive line to protect Andrew Luck.

Defensive End: Grigson added three defensive linemen this offseason, signing Ricky Jean Francois and Aubrayo Franklin and drafting Montori Hughes. Honestly, RJF and Franklin have played well for the most part this season (Hughes hasn't played much and has been active in just two games). It's hard to fault Grigson too much for this one because the issues of the run defense go way beyond the defensive line and Grigson's additions have been solid, but it's still nothing to write home about and if these are the moves that the reigning executive of the year hangs his hat on this year, then it's not good.

Outside Linebacker: Grigson added three outside linebackers this offseason, and none of them have been all that impressive. He signed Erik Walden to a big contract that surprised pretty much everyone and signed Lawrence Sidbury to a one year deal. He used the team's first round draft pick on Bjoern Werner, a defensive end from Florida State but a player who the Colts were going to use at outside linebacker. Walden struggled early on, then started to play well and begin to improve, then made a stupid decision in a game against the Titans and headbutted a player, resulting in a one game suspsnsion. Even before that, though, he wasn't good. He started to improve, sure, but he wasn't good before he started improving. Sidbury was placed on season ending injured reserve before he ever got a chance to play in a game this year, so you can't really blame Grigson for that one. And then Bjoern Werner has been bad for the most part this year too, having next to no impact and sometimes even a negative one. He has generated little pass rush - which was precisely the reason he was brought in. It was unfair to expect that out of a rookie player making the switch from DE to OLB, and so while Werner hasn't been good I find it hard to be super critical of him right now. Grigson, on the other hand, deserves to be criticized for the lack of a pass rush by the Colts. If it weren't for Robert Mathis, who should break the single season franchise record for sacks in a season, the Colts would have no pass rush. None. And like I said, it was unfair to expect a rookie to have to step up in such a big way, but that's what Grigson was doing. He needed to find another pass rusher, because Walden wasn't and Sidbury, honestly, was more of a project than a threat at that point.

Safety: Ryan Grigson made a big splash by signing former Jets Pro Bowl safety LaRon Landry, a very physical and talented safety who has struggled to stay healthy over the years. Grigson gave him a 4 year, $24 million deal and so far, he has played in just 7 of 11 games. And when he has played, he hasn't always been what he was expected to be. Especially on Sunday against the Cardinals, where he was terrible. Grigson did find a nice prospect in Delano Howell who played well in Landry's absence and who might get a look as Antoine Bethea's eventual replacement, but so far I'd say that the LaRon Landry signing was a poor signing too.

Those five areas - the five biggest needs entering this season for the Colts - were all addressed by Ryan Grigson this offseason, and they all were not addressed well. Whether it be through Grigson settling for players or whether it be Grigson just being wrong on players, things haven't worked out.

And then there are others, too. Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey has started all 11 games but has been terrible in doing so, hurting the offense more than he has helped it. Cornerback Greg Toler started the first 7 games and was only decent, and he has missed the last 4 games due to injury - something he too has struggled with some throughout his career. And only 2 of Grigson's draft picks have even played in more than 2 games this year, with only 9 starts between his 7 draft picks combined - and two of them aren't even with the organization anymore.

Colts fans and some media have been quick to criticize Chuck Pagano, Pep Hamilton, and Greg Manuksy for the failures of this team - a team that, mind you, is still 7-4. They have been inconsistent all season long, and the last four weeks the consistency has shown up, but in a bad way, as they have fallen behind big in the first half in four consecutive weeks. Sure, the coaches deserve some of the blame. But I don't place it all on them, nor do I consider any of them to be "bad" coaches yet. I'm giving it time. And I see that this team isn't as good as they played early on this year, which probably resulted in expectations that were unrealistic for the talent level of this team. Put quite simply, the talent is not there for this team to be what we all want it to be this year. That's not on Pagano or his staff. That's on Grigson.

Bleacher Report's Michael Schottey wrote yesterday on how to fix the Colts, and he nailed it:

"That's why it's so important, however, to not reach for shortcuts that just aren't there. This team should be stockpiling draft picks, not trading them away. This team should be letting high-priced free agents walk and banking the compensatory picks rather than overpaying guys like offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus and linebacker Erik Walden.

"They shouldn't be convincing themselves that running backs like Richardson or Ahmad Bradshaw are the final piece, instead of trying to find valuable late-round backs to round out their roster.

"Yes, the Colts have some immediate changes to make with their offense, but if 2013 teaches the Colts any lessons at all, it must be that there are no shortcuts to success and that their big-spending offseason may have done them more harm than good."
The Colts had the money to spend. You can't blame them for spending it, but it wasn't spent well and Grigson has been way too willing to part with his draft picks - especially his first rounder next year. Perhaps this isn't Grigson's ideal way to build and perhaps this is in part because of an unrealistically placed Super Bowl expectation for this team this year by the owner Jim Irsay that is causing Grigson to trade away his draft picks and dish out a lot of money to players not deserving of it. But the bottom line is that it is Ryan Grigson's responsibility to make sure that the best team possible is put out on the field each and every year, and this year you can't help but feel that this isn't the best team possible the Colts could have put out, even without all of the injuries.

I'm not going to sit back and criticize Chuck Pagano or his coaches over the top or when it's unnecessary, because I realize that this team isn't nearly as good or as talented as most people think. And that's not Pagano's fault. That's Grigson's. And that's why, if you want to criticize someone, it needs to start first and foremost with Ryan Grigson.

I'm not giving up on him as a general manager any more than I'm not giving up on Pagano as a head coach. I still have faith in last year's executive of the year. But this year, he has been anything but. This year, he's a big part of the reason that the Colts are struggling. And ultimately, it all may just boil down to expectations that were way too high in the first place.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/11/25/5142044/want-to-blame-someone-start-with-gm-ryan-grigson

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Don't expect Pat McAfee to shed a tear for Ryan Grigson

Jim Ayello , IndyStar Published 4:01 p.m. ET Jan. 21, 2017 | Updated 8:40 p.m. ET Jan. 21, 2017

Indianapolis Colts Insider Stephen Holder and columnist Gregg Doyel break down owner Jim Iray's news conference announcing the dismissal of Ryan Grigson. Clark Wade/IndyStar

If Ryan Grigson is looking for sympathy following Saturday's news that he'd been fired, Colts punter Pat McAfee is not his man.

Mere minutes after the news broke that the Colts had fired the general manager, McAfee tweeted "Thank God."

The tweet would have been a bit cryptic had he not followed it up with: "'Unwarranted Arrogance' just ran into a brick wall called karma."

And after local radio personality Dan Dakich tweeted, "So funny … the Punter," McAfee responded with "'All Pro punter' please and thank you … also someone who has seen your best friend treat humans absolutely horrendously for 5 years."

IndyStar Colts Insider Stephen Holder later added, "I am not taking a position here. Just passing along facts. Ryan Grigson was absolutely despised by many people in the building."

McAfee wasn't alone. Reggie Wayne told the NFL Network "it was about time. Everybody saw it coming. They were just wondering when it was going to come.

"There were a lot of little things that (Grigson) did here and there that were a little awkward. ... A lot of those guys (in the Colts locker room), they won't say anything, but Pat is Pat. He's going to speak his mind. And Pat hit it right on the head. He was a different cat. ... He walked around and tried to put fear in people, and that ain't the way you do it.

"One thing about players, if they like you and they love you, they will lay it on the line for you. And if you walk through there, and you're showing signs of arrogance, guys are going to see through that and they're not going to lay it on the line for you."

Here what some other former Colts had to say:

Follow

Jerrell Freeman ✔ @JerrellFreeman
Well that took longer than expected...👀

3:51 PM - 21 Jan 2017

901 901 Retweets 2,073 2,073 likes

Follow

Reggie Wayne ✔ @ReggieWayne_17

Now we can play ball....! ✌

5:22 PM - 21 Jan 2017

682 682 Retweets 1,431 1,431 likes

Follow

gary brackett @GaryBrackett58

Great move by the colts... I can free up some time if they need a fill in!!! ✋🏾Defense in every round 😂😂😂 https://twitter.com/snfonnbc/status/822904128787611648

3:53 PM - 21 Jan 2017

340 340 Retweets 1,099 1,099 likes
Twitter Ads info & Privacy

Follow

Winston Guy Jr.™ ✔ @winstonguyjr27

They fired Ryan Grison. Damn idk why Irsay Hired him in the 1st place. He wouldn't even know how to operate a lineup for a bball team.

4:12 PM - 21 Jan 2017 · Florida, USA
235 235 Retweets 461 461 likes

Follow

Zak Keefer ✔ @zkeefer

Looks like whoever left this sign at the #Colts facility got their wish...

4:10 PM - 21 Jan 2017 · Indiana, USA

51 51 Retweets 123 123 likes

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl...igson/96891756/

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Vers, not to beat a dead horse! Ryan wasn't hired by the Browns to be the GM. Why did Colts make such a stupid hire? Did he have any assets to justify hiring?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Grigson move should serve to strengthen the team’s experience and culture, but given the team’s reporting structure, fans shouldn’t have to worry about him having a significant say in changing the path the front office has already been taking.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/5/24/1...leveland-browns

V
Legend
Legend
V
I saw Vambo's post and thought that it wasn't really indicative as to how he is regarded. I decided to post a few articles that do represent how he is regarded.

Hope that is okay?

T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't see a reason to be positive or negative on this news yet.

Does anyone even know this guy's defined role yet.

What if this hire somehow allows the Browns to keep their own free agents going forward, locking up the guys into better negotiated contracts before they hit free agency.

Maybe not.
Has anyone said publicly what his role or influence will be.
Besides the title, Senior President whatever. If he reports to Berry, who's behind Sashi, who isn't Dee or Jimmy, what's his role?

engineering contracts? finagleing cap numbers?

Just pray he doesn't do any damage, and give it a chance. angel

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
The only thing I'll say about the Richardson trade, is that I recall a report shortly after from "unnamed" GMs who were upset the Browns didn't shop him around. As in, they also would have traded for him. At around the same price...

Also, good thing we finally hired someone with some experience, right?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
B
Legend
Legend
B
J/C

So we get a football guy with 20 years of experience, but he seems to be the "wrong" football guy.

LOL

In the end, he is a scout. He had to do something right to be given a shot at GM. Not sure exactly what he will be doing. But as others have said, he probably won't change the culture in the war room.

Andrew Berry worked for him if I am not mistaken...Probably tossing his old bud a bone.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I am not very in-tune with the scouting game. My hope is that Grigson failed as a GM, but is very adept in 1-2 particular areas of player evaluation ... and we hired him to just focus on those 1-2 things.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

We found the guy with a ton of scouting experience for you, mac.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
So we get a football guy with 20 years of experience, but he seems to be the "wrong" football guy.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Gamebreaker
Maybe this move was more about the new rule change when a lot of final roster cuts hit the streets at once.
I believe I heard like 450 players will be getting let go after
preseason. Below is the revised rule...

"However, a rule voted on by the majority of NFL owners, removed the 75-man roster cut.
This means teams can carry 90 players throughout the entire preseason,
making final roster cuts hours before the regular season begins"

We need all the input we can get, so maybe we are actually being proactive to the new rule.
I see no problem with adding an experienced evaluation person.
I don't believe he will be running the scouting dept.

Interesting take. I believe that if any front office would be proactive likethast, it would be ours.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bugs
j/c

I think Ryan Grigson was in over his head while in Indpls. I am a big believer getting people who struggled at a higher level. It was obvious at one time Colts hired thinking he had some football knowledge. Coming to Cleveland, who everyone considers misfits, maybe the ticket learning a different approach.

Ryan wasn't hired to be the GM. Lets hope he has a bounce back.

Yes, he was in over his head as GM but he had to impress to get that job in the 1st place, Hopefully the experience he got at GM will make him even better at this "lesser" position. Kind of like when a great coordinator fails as a HC then goes back to being a coordinator.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I like the hire ... here's why

- we needed a guy with FOOTBALL experience ... he started as a scout and rose through the ranks ... almost 20 years experience ...

- he failed MISERABLY as a GM ... we didn't hire him as a GM ... he's also not a scout guys .. not sure why at least one of u has said that ...

We got an experienced football guy in the room who will be in the room full time ... by that I mean he's not a coach who is hardly ever in the room ... make sense? .. not sure I explained that right ... he's also just a part of the team and not da man ...

Its not like were going to get a succesful nfl GM to come here ... why would they come to a team where there going to be working for analytics guys ...

I like the hire .. lets see how it works out ...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Chances are we probably won't even truly know the impact (or lack thereof) he will have with this team. I mean, do we know what scouts liked Kizer and what scouts didn't? Or someone banging the table for a particular late round guy? Normally, no. I don't think much news will come out about Grigson's and if it does, it probably isn't good.

Good thing he wasn't hired to be the lead personnel guy or I would have the same sick feeling in my stomach like I did about Banner.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
J/C

LOL

In the end, he is a scout. He had to do something right to be given a shot at GM. Not sure exactly what he will be doing. But as others have said, he probably won't change the culture in the war room.

Andrew Berry worked for him if I am not mistaken...Probably tossing his old bud a bone.

Probably exactly what you say Peen, he's tossing an old friend a bone. But at least it's an old friend with some experience.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Me neither. Is this a possible inroad to raiding Indy's larder. It is never too early to start a conspiracy thread. I don't think he is bringing much to the table. Maybe a sub for the Harvard bridge outings . . .?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Seems like we hired a guy whose best talent is identifying marginal bubble players. It might help us on cut day.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

Diam and bugs pretty much hit the nail on the head.

If we were hiring Grigson as our GM I would be aback on this hire.

But his first year that he was with the Colts he was touted as the Exec. of the year (from one entity that gives out that award). Clearly he came there with his Scouting prowess and research of the 2012 draft.

It went down hill after that. Which does reflect on his skills as a GM. But not on his skills for what we hired him for.

To put it in perspective. Lets say we get Pryor back to play WR after his one year stint. And he had a Pro Bowl season.

Then negative posters start POSTING articles on how BAD Pryor was as a QB. Okayyyy? But we didn't get him to be our QB,
we got him to be our WR.

Well that's my point of view and I'm sticking with it...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
mac got his football guy. We're going to the Super Bowl!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns hire Ryan Grigson as Senior Personnel Executive

Link Copied to Clipboard