Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Andrew Hawkins to sign one-year deal with Patriots

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...l-with-patriots

The New England Patriots added more speed to their deep receiving corps.

Former Cleveland Browns wideout Andrew Hawkins announced Wednesday he's joining the reigning Super Bowl champs.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported it's a one-year deal for Hawkins. The wideout turned down more lucrative offers elsewhere to join New England.

"It was never really about the money." Hawkins said. "And to be honest, I passed up on deals that were probably double the compensation. But like I said, it was all about winning for me at this point and putting myself in the best position to do so."

UNINTERRUPTED
✔
@uninterrupted

BREAKING: @Hawk announces signing with @Patriots on UNINTERRUPTED.
12:52 PM - 24 May 2017

818 818 Retweets

Andrew Hawkins to sign one-year deal with Patriots

Print

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: May 24, 2017 at 01:23 p.m.
Updated: May 24, 2017 at 02:05 p.m.

The New England Patriots added more speed to their deep receiving corps.

Former Cleveland Browns wideout Andrew Hawkins announced Wednesday he's joining the reigning Super Bowl champs.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported it's a one-year deal for Hawkins. The wideout turned down more lucrative offers elsewhere to join New England.

"It was never really about the money." Hawkins said. "And to be honest, I passed up on deals that were probably double the compensation. But like I said, it was all about winning for me at this point and putting myself in the best position to do so."

Hawkins admitted he has his "work cut out" to make a deep Patriots roster. New England added Brandin Cooks this offseason to a receiving corps that includes Julian Edelman, Chris Hogan, Malcolm Mitchell and Danny Amendola.

Hawkins, who excels as a slot receiver, spent the past three seasons with the Browns. In 2016 he earned 33 receptions for 324 yards and three touchdowns.

If the 31-year-old makes the Patriots' roster, he'll likely work as a reserve from the slot position.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, NE has a lot of WRs.

Legend
Legend
Good for Hawk. Hopefully he'll have a great year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I don't think Hawkins will make the team.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, that's why I said that.

I hope he does because he seems like a great guy, but that's a rough road.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

I disagree. Hawkins works hard and understand. You don't think Hawkins replaces Amendola? Amendola who hasn't played an entire season.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: bugs
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

I disagree. Hawkins works hard and understand. You don't think Hawkins replaces Amendola? Amendola who hasn't played an entire season.

Amendola knows the system and it's not like Hawkins has been the picture of health.

Legend
Legend
He's the "type" of WR that NE likes, but it's a crowded WR room. If he makes it he could do well.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
That's not even counting how many Receiving type RBs they also have...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Can't Stand The Patriots But Good Luck Hawk smile

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
That's not even counting how many Receiving type RBs they also have...
yeah

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Good for him, I hope he does well as long as it doesn't come at the expense of the Browns.

Hawkins has had an unusual road and has overcome many hardships.

1st his reality beginning in a contest that would end up getting a hire by the Cowboys...clearly he won that competition but was passed over cause there was a WR with more desired physical specs. But he persevered and got his shots and made the best of them. Good story, and always seemed like a good person with a lot of class. Has talked nothing but good things about the Browns after being released.

If we don't win the SB...how the Pats w/Hawkins do.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm with u bro .. i really hope he makes the team and they win the SB ... he's a class act and I've always rooted for him ...

Glad u don't hate me bro .. thumbsup .... i have that affect on some on here .. but hardly ever when u actually meet me .. naughtydevil

Also glad your still coaching .. hope your still able to get out on the links ... i know u love them both and doing things we love is what its all about ..

Hope the families doing good my friend .. how's your sound doing? .. shoot me a pm and let me know ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Good luck to him.

F
All Pro
All Pro
F
Hope he makes the team and makes contributions.

And the next head coach is ......
Legend
Legend
I agree Fargo ... IF he makes the team he will contribute IMO

T
Legend
Legend
T
Wouldn't have been a terrible thing to still have Hawkins on the team. I think he's better than Hogan who looked absolutly awful and like 100 could replace him.
1999 ish, Belichic got a good ex Brown, David Patton as an afterthought wideout who helped him big in the playoffs at least one year.

I know Hawkins is only marginal, but considering the "current" state of the Browns receivers, "Why isn't he on the Browns anymore?" . oh.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Cause he asked for his release and we did the right thing ...

Hogan looked absolutely awful?

Do u watch football and if so, do u know what your watching ... *shrugs* ...

Hogan played really well for them .. he was good in Buffalo ... his problem is staying on the field not what he does on it ..

He was there deep threat last year and he scored 4 or 5 long TD's ... not sure hoe he looked anything remotely close to awful ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yep, Hogan is an excellent deep ball threat. Always has been since I've been following him.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Good for Hawk. Hopefully he'll have a great year.

Thought the same thing... Always liked Hawkins..

<><

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Hogan definitely stretched that field with success. Came on strong after getting comfortable with the O and Brady. Made room for the little guys underneath Edelman and Amandola...jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
WR Andrew Hawkins told the Patriots and @uninterrupted that he is retiring. Now graduating from the NFL.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/889912624409968641

He was a longshot to make the team. I'd hire him if I ran a front office.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not shocked, he made a lot of business decisions last year.

Legend
Legend
Was he the one that the Lions offered a scouting position to?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
D
Legend
Legend
D
Andrew Hawkins - WR - Free Agent

Ex-Browns and Bengals WR Andrew Hawkins has told the Patriots he's retiring.
He's going to pursue a Ph.D. in economics. The longtime Ohio slot man was on the outside looking in of the Patriots' 53-man roster, as the team's top-five receivers were already set. Often unheralded, Hawkins' effectiveness had been on the wane. He turned 30 in March 2016. A 2008 UDFA, Hawkins hangs up his cleats with 209 receptions, all of which came from 2011-16.

Related: Patriots, Bengals, Browns

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Jul 25 - 2:21 PM

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:
He's going to pursue a Ph.D. in economics.

I'm thinking Hawkins must have...

I'm not sure what to think.

You have to be smart to get into an Economics doctoral program.

With lots of undergraduate math.

Legend
Legend
he probably wasn't making that roster, especially given their WR/RB type additions

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I take the man at his word...he is positioned to move on to the next stage of his life.

Andrew Hawkins announces his retirement
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 25, 2017, 2:31 PM EDT
In a surprise move just before the start of training camp, Patriots receiver Andrew Hawkins has announced his retirement.

Hawkins never played for the Patriots, having just signed with them in free agency this offseason. In a video he posted on social media, he explained that he simply didn’t think he could handle another season at age 31.

“I just got off the phone with the New England Patriots and coach Belichick and I just had to inform them of my decision to retire,” he said. “After OTAs this summer, my body just didn’t respond and didn’t feel the way it should going into camp.”

Hawkins said he wanted to play for the Patriots and they wanted him, but it just wasn’t going to work out.

“They were disappointed,” he said. “I told them I was appreciative of the opportunity to work with an organization as storied as they are.”

Hawkins played three seasons with the Browns and three with the Bengals. Herecently got a master’s degree from Columbia and said the next step in his life will be working on a Ph.D. in business and economics.
link

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Hawk made the right choice IMO He is a very smart young guy, and his concussion problems were starting to have an effect on him. It is much better for him to get out now and still have a future in the NFL, than to keep hanging on and ruin his life.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Future in NFL....Going to school and getting a PHD in economics doesn't sound like NFL future to me.....he was a good little player and smart enough to get out when his body AND competition told him it was time....change, one of the sure things....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
B
Legend
Legend
B
Knowing when to go is smart.

I wish him well.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Good luck to him, seems like a smart guy.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: hitt
Future in NFL....Going to school and getting a PHD in economics doesn't sound like NFL future to me.....he was a good little player and smart enough to get out when his body AND competition told him it was time....change, one of the sure things....GO Browns!!!!

He wants to be a Team President/GM. I think that such a degree could help him in that pursuit.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Good luck to him, seems like a smart guy.
x2

Legend
Legend
The Patriots was a long shot anyways...good luck Hawk.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Hawk made the right choice IMO He is a very smart young guy, and his concussion problems were starting to have an effect on him. It is much better for him to get out now and still have a future in the NFL, than to keep hanging on and ruin his life.

Yup, IMO, he's making the right move. He's leaving Football with coin in his pocket, his health pretty much intact and a solid education and plan for the future.

Good luck Hawk

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: hitt

As Ytown already pointed out. He has goals of working his way up the front office ladder for an NFL team.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B

Nice letter and read about Hawk, and the letter from him to Browns fans.

Former Browns wide receiver Andrew Hawkins announces retirement, writes letter to Cleveland

By Nate Ulrich
Beacon Journal sports writer
Published: July 25, 2017 - 03:07 PM

Former Browns wide receiver Andrew Hawkins announced his retirement from the NFL Tuesday on Uninterrupted.com and wrote a thank-you letter to Cleveland.

The Browns granted Hawkins’ request for his release in February, and he signed with the New England Patriots in May.

Hawkins, 31, who spent the past three seasons with the Browns, explained in a video on Uninterrupted.com that he retired because his body didn’t respond well to offseason training.

“Basically, it just started breaking down on me,” he said.

Hawkins said he has opportunities to work in football on the business side and will pursue a Ph.D. in business and economics in February. He graduated from Columbia University this year with a master’s degree in sports management.

Below is his letter to Cleveland.

“Dear Cleveland,

“In May of 2008, I loaded up my Chevrolet Impala, and made the roughly two hour drive from the University of Toledo to Berea, in hopes of not returning any time soon. Unfortunately, I was back on the Toledo campus within three days. I had what was, by most accounts, at least a solid performance during my tryout with the Cleveland Browns during their rookie mini-camp. At the conclusion of the camp, I was told by the front office and coaches that I would more than likely be signed within the week. Afterwards, I would check the Browns’ roster transactions every day and pray that the phone would ring to make me a Cleveland Brown. The days, weeks, and months passed by without the phone call ever coming. But, as fate would have it, after working in a factory, working as a caddy, interning as an NFL scout, starring on a reality show, playing in Canada, breaking a leg (literally), getting cut after one practice in St. Louis, and emerging in Cincinnati, on March 11, 2014, the Cleveland Browns finally called and changed my life forever.

“Today, my football career comes to an end, but I celebrate the incredible opportunity I was given to wear the same colors as legends like Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Eric Metcalf, Clay Matthews Sr., Paul Warfield, Ozzie Newsome, Josh Cribbs, Bernie Kosar, Joe Thomas, and many more. I count it an incredible honor to be a football descendant of the Godfather of football himself, Mr. Paul Brown. Thank you to all the coaches and my brothers on the field for having my back always, no matter what. Thank you to Jimmy and Dee Haslam for the support, care, and effort you continue to put into turning this storied franchise around. Thank you to Ray Farmer, Sashi Brown, Mike Pettine, and Hue Jackson for allowing me the opportunity to join the Cleveland community.

“Lastly, the love and support that Browns fans across the globe have shown my family and I was both unanticipated and greatly appreciated. My time as a Brown was some of the best of my life and I have never experienced such passion from fans in my life. I couldn’t wrap my mind around the unwavering support Cleveland fans showed us through the ups and downs, but I knew it was special to be a part of. I am proud to be a part of the Cleveland community, and in my short time, I hope my small contributions have left it in a better place than when I arrived. Thank you Cleveland, the pleasure was all mine.

“Till next time,

— Andrew Hawkins”

Roster move

The Browns recently placed cornerback Howard Wilson, a fourth-round pick in this year’s draft, on the active/physically unable to perform list. The move was expected.

Wilson suffered a fractured kneecap in May during rookie minicamp and might need surgery depending on how it heals.

New agent

Browns running back Isaiah Crowell recently hired high-profile agent Drew Rosenhaus to represent him.

Crowell is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent March 14 and will look for Rosenhaus to negotiate a lucrative contract on his behalf. Crowell was previously represented by Universal Sports Management.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
V
Legend
Legend
V
What a classy guy. He wrote a letter to Bengal fans, too.

I hope this guy fulfills all of his dreams.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Andrew Hawkins to sign one-year deal with Patriots

Link Copied to Clipboard