Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
As much as we might like Maclin to sign here, this doesn't have the feel of a likely match. He's likely looking for a place to get a ring.

He can get a Super Bowl Ring here.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
all things being equal, would you rather have Britt or Maclin?

Is Terrelle Pryor an option, is Josh Gordon, how about all 4.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Is Terrelle Pryor an option, is Josh Gordon, how about all 4.
if we're going to rate all 4 based on who I'd want:

1. Gordon
2. Pryor
3. Maclin

4. Britt

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
He might not want to come here, though. We really don't have a qb and we only won one game last year.

The good thing is that we have Hue and players seem to love him. Plus, he'd be the man here.

Yeah true...I'm sure we are still the last place a player would want to sign with...But like you said, I think Maclin can step in (rather easily) and outplay CC and Kenny Britt...our trio of WR's would look more on par with the rest of the NFL.

But if he is chasing a ring...I'm sure someone else would land him, as he literally has zero chance of obtaining that here.

I'm telling you he literally DOES have a chance of obtaining a Super Bowl Ring here.

V
Legend
Legend
V

I don't think it's even close. Maclin in a landslide.

The good thing is we could have both.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

but will we want to spend that much on the WR position in one offseason? Maybe the Britt signing will prohibit us from going after Maclin.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
We have the money. If we are worried more about money than wins..........then it is what it is. Hopefully, that isn't the case.

And again, I am not saying that he will sign w/us. I'm just hoping we go after him and he accepts.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
We have the money. If we are worried more about money than wins..........then it is what it is. Hopefully, that isn't the case.

And again, I am not saying that he will sign w/us. I'm just hoping we go after him and he accepts.
I'm with you. Maclin is way better than Britt (not a Britt fan at all) ... just hoping that one signing doesn't affect the chance of the other.

T
Legend
Legend
T

This absolutely is important, especially with receivers. Whenever you have a group of 3 or 4 where the degree of which one is better is debateable, the ability to have them "both" or "together" makes each individual better in the long run; because at any given time it's going to require more from the defense to focus on two threats than to devote all it's attention onto one threat.
Two heads are better than one. And somebody's going to get some time vs. lesser coverage skills.

Harder to defend, 3 guys rated 7 on a 1-10 scale, than to defend 1 guy rated 9 and 2 guys rated 5.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If we do sign Maclin our WR group goes from fair to pretty good. Definitely an upgrade.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
If we do sign Maclin our WR group goes from fair to pretty good. Definitely an upgrade.
well, it would be:

Maclin
Britt
Coleman
Louis
Higgins
Devalve
Payton

who else am I missing?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Someone mentioned that are WR unit might be the worst in the league.

I'm wondering who is worse than our right now---on paper?

R
Legend
Legend
R
well, it would be:

Maclin
Britt
Coleman
Louis
Higgins
Devalve
Payton

who else am I missing?

That list is about as bad as it gets.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Even with Maclin.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Spent several minutes thinking about our Wide Receivers and if they are the worst in the league.

Certainly, one of the worst. The 49ers and Rams are really bad, too.

We really could use Maclin.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I know that's only one position group, but with no QB and position groups like WR and Secondary looking so awful on paper, all I can think about is the Browns are going to be really bad.

Really bad.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

The Jets WR unit looks worse on paper

Eric Decker
Ardarius Stewart
Charone Peake
Jalin Marshall

Quincy Enunwa
Robby Anderson
Chad Hansen
Devin Smith

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

The Jets WR unit looks worse on paper

Eric Decker
Ardarius Stewart
Charone Peake
Jalin Marshall

Quincy Enunwa
Robby Anderson
Chad Hansen
Devin Smith

And Devin Smith is already on IR with a torn ACL.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Hopefully, some of our 2nd year guys will step up and show improvement. KB is a decent wr and Coleman does have some talent. Trying to be optimistic. There is some potential here.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Hopefully, some of our 2nd year guys will step up and show improvement. KB is a decent wr and Coleman does have some talent. Trying to be optimistic. There is some potential here.

I think Ricardo Lewis will be much improved in year 2 also. He was a solid player at Auburn and has good run after catch ability.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
D
Legend
Legend
D

Or... we'll just throw every pass to Njoku because the kid looks to be a potential monster.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Or... we'll just throw every pass to Njoku because the kid looks to be a potential monster.

Maybe not every pass, but I could see him get 80-90 targets.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
ESPN: Browns a potential fit for Jeremy Maclin

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/ESPN-Browns-a-potential-fit-for-Jeremy-Maclin-53012214

In a shocking move, the Kansas City Chiefs elected to part ways with wide receiver Jeremy Maclin Friday.

ESPN's Dan Graziano explains that the Cleveland Browns could be a fit for the Missouri native.

"If you're still dreaming of a Josh Gordon return, you haven't been paying attention. Cleveland's starters appear to be 2016 first-rounder Corey Coleman and free-agent signee Kenny Britt. They also picked pass-catching tight end David Njoku in the first round in April. But none of that prevents them from adding a veteran wideout for depth."

He recorded 44 receptions for 536 yards and two touchdowns.

Maclin entered the league as the No. 19 overall selection of the Philadelphia Eagles in the 2009 NFL Draft. He spent the first five seasons of his career before signing with the Chiefs in free agency prior to the 2015 season. The deal was worth $55 million over five seasons.

The San Francisco 49ers, Los Angeles Rams, Buffalo Bills and Baltimore Ravens were also mentioned as options. Cleveland was heavily involved with Maclin before he signed with the Chiefs that off-season.

The 29-year old would compete with Mario Alford, Ricardo Louis, Rashard Higgins, Jordan Payton, Corey Coleman, Rannell Hall, James Wright, Jordan Leslie, Josh Boyce and Kenny Britt.

The Browns have roughly $61 million remaining in salary cap space according to Spotrac.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
front load the deal and get it done IMO.

Legend
Legend
Kick these tires. Can we get him? Any ties to guys on our team?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
Bard, I think besides the money we can spend, the best thing we have to offer is Hue. The players love the guy. That kind of message gets around.

It sucks that the qb position is not so good and that we had a terrible record, but Hue and the money we can offer might offset the negatives.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I will say that I don't remember someone being traded/cut by us and having such high praise for the coaches/FO/future of the Browns ... and in the past few weeks we've seen that a few times (Hawkins, Davis). That's telling I hope.

V
Legend
Legend
V
It's important.

People used to knock me because I said it was a bad thing that we were screwing players over and were getting a bad rep.

Well, things have turned around a bit. We've signed some of our own free agents recently and the players love Hue. The word gets around. Trust me on that one.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bard, I think besides the money we can spend, the best thing we have to offer is Hue. The players love the guy. That kind of message gets around.

It sucks that the qb position is not so good and that we had a terrible record, but Hue and the money we can offer might offset the negatives.

Good point. If I'm a FA ...I would love to play for Hue Jackson.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Could Colmans injury be Serendipity?

It could weigh in the balance, whither or not we choose to peruse the notion.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Maclin would definitely be a big help in Cleveland. He would be a reliable weapon for any of our QBs, and would combine with Britt to show the youngsters how to be an NFL receiver.

Ranking all 32 teams as landing spots for Jeremy Maclin after his surprising release - CBSSports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rankin...rising-release/

1. Browns

The Browns aren't as bad as you think they are. Their strategy of stockpiling draft picks, retooling their offensive line, and not overspending on costly free agents is working, even if they're still a couple years away from competing. Maclin would speed up the rebuilding process. He'd be the team's best receiver, would be a great mentor for Corey Coleman, and would alleviate the conditions for whichever young developing quarterback (Cody Kessler or DeShone Kizer) wins the starting job.

There's also this: The Browns have more than $60 million in cap space.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
he is only 29 yrs old. But with 9 years under his belt, not sure what kind of toll it has put on his body. But i would invite him over for a workout at the least. couldn't hurt one bit.

and why not? Coleman is just one injury after another...

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
he's already got 9 years in? it's crazy how fast time can go if you aren't paying attention to something in particular.

I would have guessed 5-6 years. Time sneaks up on ya.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Experience 9th season

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/12579/jeremy-maclin

I said almost the same thing. word for word lol. then I had to google him.

except I pegged him at 6-7 yrs

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
Experience 9th season

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/12579/jeremy-maclin

I said almost the same thing. word for word lol. then I had to google him.

except I pegged him at 6-7 yrs
exactly. when it's not something you usually pay close attention to, the years can slip by you.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Sign him to a 2 year deal, pay him what it takes and never look back. Jmo

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Legend
Legend
I may be alone, but I am willing to risk this move. Some of the youth may need tone flushed. Coleman will not be any help hurt on the bench for "building" purposes. Get this vet reasonably. Time to load up on ready weapons. Maclin has to be aware of career status from here. Hue would be a great help in landing him perhaps. Hue has to produce to have that continue.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Deepsouthdawg
Sign him to a 2 year deal, pay him what it takes and never look back. Jmo

I think he will be looking for 4, and we probably would as well.

We can structure the thing where it is more or less a 2-3 year deal, making it unpainful to get out of if we simply decide to relase him after 2-3 years.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Every time I hear Maclin's name I get flashbacks of Dwayne Bowe shocked

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Every time I hear Maclin's name I get flashbacks of Dwayne Bowe shocked

I don't know, Bowe was maybe a year or two older, and those guys have different types of bodies.

Bowe was way bigger, so he took more hits. When you are as big as him, you just take some of the hits rather than try to avoid them. If smaller player take big hits all the time, they have short careers. Some who know how to do it can get under the majority of contact. Metcalf was one who was pretty good at ducking and tucking. I think Macklin is similar.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin

Link Copied to Clipboard