Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
V
Legend
Legend
V
Maclin went the Chiefs the year that Bowe came here. Do you remember hearing about how the KC WR's didn't have a single TD pass in Bowe's last year there?

Well, Maclin caught 10 TD passes that same year in Philly. He went to KC and caught 8 TD passes his first year there.

I told you guys when we got Bowe that he was lazy and that you would end up hating him. Maclin is a different player. He is a true professional and an excellent route runner. He won't dog it like Bowe did.

The only question I would have is if he is healthy or not. I don't see any comparison to Bowe other than they both played for KC.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I think he will be looking for 4, and we probably would as well.

We can certainly afford it, but his signing (anywhere) likely depends on what he is looking for...money, location, contender? Far more likely (IMO) that he ends up in Arizona...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
B
Legend
Legend
B
That all makes a difference. No telling what his motivations might be.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I question his health as well and It seemed to me that he was always hurt. However other than last season when he missed 4 games It looks like he only missed 6 or 7 games total over the other 6 years. I was just never sold on him but it does look like he has averaged 67 catcher per year, 900 yards per season, and about 6.5 TD's per year. Maybe it's just me (OK I bet it is) but I just can't get excited about him. I will say however he is way better than than almost every other WR on our roster.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
He had a groin injury last year. Maybe it is the start of the downward spiral.

The again, maybe it was his 12 mil cap hit and Tyreek Hill that made it a easy decision for the Chiefs.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
There's no WR we have currently who I'd say is better than Maclin.

I think our WR's core is one the weakest the league has to offer, if not thee weakest. Coleman is a no-show and his hamstring and overall health issues makes me extremely concerned. He was supposed to be our #1 threat and he's been nothing short of a joke up-to-date. Health wise, performance wise and just everything so far.

Kenny is our best WR. We selected four WRs total in the 2016 draft, and it's clear we maybe needed to have selected more because no one is doing anything.

Our best bet in our current situation is pray one out of the four can step up this year. The money Maclin likely wants is probably something this front office won't be game to spend at that position.

The more I think about it, the more I'm open to digging a little deeper into the wallet and seeing if we can get Maclin. I'm not a huge fan of him, but wow, our WR core is about as ripe as year old roadkill. It's a great concern for me.

Legend
Legend
Is Maclin better than Coleman today... yes IMO Will he be better by the end of the year, or in 2018 or 2019??? It's way to early to judge Coleman one way on the other.

Is Maclin better than Britt yes he is once again IMO

The four other young guys??? We have no clue yet if any of them are going to pan out or wash out. Hopefully we know more about all four of them by the end of this season.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
His production has dropped across the board
He peaked 3 years ago.
He's worth a look but not at 9 mil a year.
He's not the big play threat he used to be
He's a number #3 WR at best now

You may need to check your stats. There were two other receivers that saw lowered production, but the TE in KC went nuts.. He just didn't get the targets.. Oh, he was injured a little as well...

As for the Browns picking up Maclin, I guess it depends on how much they believe in their young receivers. Myself, if he can help, get him.., But really, we aren't ready to contend.. so maybe spending money and reps on him isn't the smartest move. JMO

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
"I will say however he is way better than than almost every other WR on our roster."

This alludes to at least ONE wr being better than Maclin, and I don't think we have anyone, as of today, that you can even compare to him. Again, our WR core is one of the weakest.

I get all the people I'm ripping are going into their second year and are still raw, hence why I'm not calling them busts yet - but I cannot deny it's a huge concern.

I'm not sure which is more a concern, our defensive secondary or our WR unit as a whole. Both are... sketchy.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I just look at our WRs: Coleman, Britt, Higgins, Payton, Devalve, Louis ... that's a putrid group. It's our weakest area, and maybe the weakest position group in the NFL.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I'm not sure which is more a concern, our defensive secondary or our WR unit as a whole.

Don't forget the QBs. LOL

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
I'm not sure which is more a concern, our defensive secondary or our WR unit as a whole.

Don't forget the QBs. LOL
we're all so used to having no QB that we just disregard the position now. it's just understood that it's the worst area by far rofl

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Of the (4) WRs drafted last year, (2) came from Rd 5 and (1) from Rd 4. They are imminently replaceable. They were all late Rd flyers. If we can find better WRs, we should get them.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
IF.

IF Maclin is healthy then I would agree he would be the best WR.

The trouble becomes how determine his worth? based on who he was....or based on his current production and injury risk?

On the whole I'm injury-risk averse BUT I would be all over it IF we get the Maclin from 2 years ago.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: edromeo
IF.

IF Maclin is healthy then I would agree he would be the best WR.

The trouble becomes how determine his worth? based on who he was....or based on his current production and injury risk?

On the whole I'm injury-risk averse BUT I would be all over it IF we get the Maclin from 2 years ago.

I agree but I don't know if there is a way to know for sure. Whoever signs him is taking in a food but of risk... But for the Brown's and our WR situation is definitely take that risk. If Macklin was 80% of his former self, he and a healthy Britt and Coleman are a decent WR core. If Coleman is injury prone, and Maclin can stay healthy it improves a bad situation. The odds of both Macklin and Coleman both going down is real but still less risk than having just Coleman and Britt. . . . If course if the FO signed him and he and Coleman both went down they'd be crucified by some

I'd sign him. Not for Britt money, but if you can craft a contract that makes his release not too harmful to your cap, if pay close to that sort of money.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Tablet spell check blows. Sorry.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I'm not sure which is more a concern, our defensive secondary or our WR unit as a whole. Both are... sketchy.

IMO it's the WR's

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Hopefully Maclin will go for a 1 year "prove you can stay healthy" deal....but his agent is probably fielding those offers from a bunch of teams

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
One thing people are overlooking is Maclin can still play at a high level for a contender. Arizona, Seattle, and New England add Maclin can preserver him for an entire season. Maklin is an ideal fit in Cincy but they won't pay.

Browns are simply not ready for these kind of veterans. I don't think players like Maklin can play full time and last a season. It is why Barndridge and Hawkins were let go. Heartbreaking watching these types of players end their career on IR especially playing for teams like Cleveland.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
if we at least done make a run at him then its a fail.

3 years with a player / team option for a fourth, either can walk if it doesn't work.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg
if we at least done make a run at him then its a fail.

3 years with a player / team option for a fourth, either can walk if it doesn't work.

So you, go what? 3 years $30 million?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
yes front loaded as best we can.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maclin would be a great addition, but he is on the wrong side of 25. Perhaps a 2 or 3 year deal that is front loaded would be a good option. I don't think he'll ever be a Bowe.

Bowe's issue was not having the "want to" anymore. Even if Maclin was a step slower than normal, that is still pretty freakin fast and he runs routes well enough and uses his body well enough to still get open.

He was most likely cut because his injury happened to come at a time where the team invested in two other younger cheaper WR's and had little cap space.

Last edited by DeputyDawg; 06/04/17 11:28 AM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

This wouldn't be such a huge issue if they hadn't drafted a little brittle guy.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

I'm okay with the kid's size, Steve Smith is one of my favorite WRs actually - but dang it seems like he's about as soft as an ice cream sandwich that's been in the sun for a few.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
j/c

I'm okay with the kid's size, Steve Smith is one of my favorite WRs actually - but dang it seems like he's about as soft as an ice cream sandwich that's been in the sun for a few.
and the thing is, Coleman had a history of hamstring stuff in college ... it's one thing to have freak injuries, but soft tissue stuff is perpetuating

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Hopefully, some of our 2nd year guys will step up and show improvement. KB is a decent wr and Coleman does have some talent. Trying to be optimistic. There is some potential here.

Louis got a good review from our coaches in his progress from season one going into 2.

Maybe he's the guy going to throw his hat in the ring.

A lot praising the skills of Maclin...but I'm wondering are those skills diminishing? When they do they usually diminish fast. I don't think the Chiefs were in a position to let go a stud WR.
I know they save cap room but for what?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
In regards to EO's statement on diminishing skills, it is a concern IMO ... especially for DB/WR. If he were a Bolden type who can still use his body/strength it's one thing ... but he's slighter. Take away his agility and it's tough

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Funny how the Chiefs moved on from 2 players who were considered part of the core on offense just 2 years ago
Maclin isn't the same player he was in 2014. He can't separate like he used too.
He would fit here based on a need for a vet who can help bring along the young WRs and certinally depth
But it's certinally telLing when your number 1 WR is a guy who just got released
And had only 2 TD the year before

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
j/c

and the thing is, Coleman had a history of hamstring stuff in college ... it's one thing to have freak injuries, but soft tissue stuff is perpetuating

Absolutely. Believe it or not, the broken hand didn't even phase me much. It's these hamstrings. As said, it's not just a NFL occurrence either.

Very concerning, as it has been since we drafted him. He might have got 64 receptions for 1,119 yards and 11 TDs that one year at Baylor dealing/playing with a hamstring issue - but not here in the NFL. Especially when he's the focal point/biggest threat of the bunch.

These reasons and etc makes me truly think twice about the price I'd be willing to pay for Maclin. As Vers said (well alluded to anyway), and I'm sure he's handled it properly medically wise - groin not a multi year injury issue.

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 06/04/17 01:08 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I was commenting more about the combination of the two.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't look at it as him being a #1. Who says you need that? What is wrong with having a few #2 receivers?

I look at it like this: The #1 receiver is the guy the QB just released the ball towards. The #1 receiver isn't a position IMO. It's whoever catchs the most passes and produces the best results.

Ozzie was a TE....guess what? He was our #1 receiver for a long time.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
www.nfl.com

Let's just start this point by saying this one isn't happening, but we have to list it, because on paper, the Browns still show a need at receiver. But the Maclin/Cleveland union won't happen, because the Browns treat anyone near 30 like they've just become eligible for an AARP card (or, for Ohioans, the Golden Buckeye card). Maclin is 29. Cleveland isn't a veteran wideout away from contention, so it would be more worthwhile to get its quartet of second-year wideouts (Corey Coleman, Rashard Higgins, Jordan Payton, Ricardo Louis) some valuable playing time.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: edromeo
Hopefully Maclin will go for a 1 year "prove you can stay healthy" deal....but his agent is probably fielding those offers from a bunch of teams

If he's 29, nobody else is going to offer him a 5 year deal.
Offer him a 5 year deal,

People all over at various positions are getting 10 million a year, and he's waived from a 10 million a year deal.
You allow him to keep his pride and save face if you offer him 10 million a year.

so a 5 year 50 million deal, big news, might lure him

but, all that really matters is the guaranteed money. 20-something probably ballpark.

There ain't a person on this board that believes the team wouldn't cut him before he's 35 anyways, unless he's league mvp or something.
It Ain't my money, I don't know what the team wants, all I'm doing guessing what would probably be the report it somehow the Browns did sign him.
And Cut him after 2 years.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
www.nfl.com

because the Browns treat anyone near 30 like they've just become eligible for an AARP card

Browns may have done so up until now, but maybe they'll turn over a new leaf.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't look at it as him being a #1. Who says you need that? What is wrong with having a few #2 receivers?

I look at it like this: The #1 receiver is the guy the QB just released the ball towards. The #1 receiver isn't a position IMO. It's whoever catchs the most passes and produces the best results.

The only problem is, you don't take a #2 WR 15th overall. You take someone actually worth game planning around a little that high. Coleman worth game planning around from what you've seen thus far?

And i've predicted already Njoku will be our highest targeted person with the most catches. He'll be making the catches and etc, and Corey will still be limited to riding bikes on the sidelines.

T
Legend
Legend
T
The only problem is, you don't take a #2 WR 15th overall. You take someone actually worth game planning around a little that high. Coleman worth game planning around from what you've seen thus far?

Well Coleman is in his 2nd year, when they took him Terrell Pryor was still on the team. And When they took Coleman it was after the 2015 season, so Travis Benjamin had been about the top receiver the previous year.

If you don't like that he was taken with the 15th overall pick, what does that have to do with now, going forward.
I could say that I think Pettine would have had them closer to 6 wins last year and the approaching year, but it doesn't matter anymore.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
www.nfl.com
Cleveland isn't a veteran wideout away from contention,.

Says who! (objection, that's speculation!)

A veteran wideout, maybe bring back the veteran tight end they cut, for no apparent reason,

Catch a couple of breaks, here and there, and a couple of the young guys overachieve, and

Bingo! Contention!

B
Legend
Legend
B

And i've predicted already Njoku will be our highest targeted person with the most catches. He'll be making the catches and etc, and Corey will still be limited to riding bikes on the sidelines.

It's not his fault we took him at 15, nor is it the FO.

I think some of you get too hung up on draft position. Once they are drafted and on the team, it doesn't matter where they are drafted.

My point is I don't hear people complain when a 7th rounder plays like a stud. Sounds like Mac bashing the FO because we took a guy in the 6th round when we should have taken him in the 2nd round. notallthere

You play them to the best of their ability. It makes no sense to whine a year or two later that a guy isn't playing up to his draft poition. Either they are playing well or they aren't.

That said, we don't know where Coleman is performing. Some of you are getting all whacked out of shape becuse he is missing some OTA time. Sure, I'd like him out there. He needs the reps, but it is what it is. This isn't a crushing blow to the program.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ahhh...the voice of reason

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin

Link Copied to Clipboard